Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

zonohedron posted:

So my first-grader got back his Iowa Assessment yesterday, blah blah blah smartest kid ever blah blah blah, and at the bottom it had his Lexile Range. Awesome, says I, I can buy him books for summer that he might find challenging! (I started reading just before I was 3; I have no idea how to find skill-appropriate books for somebody who started reading at the much-less-abnormal age of 5.)

So I go to the Scholastic website... and his Lexile range turns up Step 1 Easy Readers and 3rd-grade-appropriate books on volcanoes. :confuoot:

Barnes and Noble has this system where you're supposed to read the first page from a book and hold up a finger for every word you don't know, and a book where you don't hold up at least 3 fingers is too easy. I am unsure any book short of, say, The Andromeda Strain is going to catch him on the first page.

Any suggestions?

Asterix books were my go to at that age and for the next few years after that. I'd re-read them over and over and understand slightly more each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

This post stuck in my head and I've started reading Happiest Toddler on the Block by Karp.

I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm having a bit of trouble relating to the Fast Food Rule (where you state an upset person's point of upset back to them, reflecting but slightly dialing down their emotion, to acknowledge and calm them). All the examples in the part of the book where it's introduced appear to relate to adults. I'm having a hard time yet seeing how I actually do it with a toddler (16mo old).

I give you that it might become more obvious as I go through the book, but please can someone post a few examples of situations where you've used it with toddlers?

Karp was interviewed and suggested explicitly talking the way the toddler does or would:

quote:

Instead of calmly telling Adrian, "I'm sorry, honey, but you told Mommy you wanted the hot dog," I should have said: "You say no! You say no! You want chicken nuggets! No hot dog! No hot dog! Your face is really sad! You're on the floor!"

After they look at you and calm down (and they will, Karp promises), that's the cue to switch to your own agenda. "But nooo, no chicken now. Hot dog now. Hot dog now."

It's almost never too soon to start with this approach, Karp says. "Even a 1-year-old will respond to it. By acknowledging their feelings and speaking their language, you can help them be more cooperative, respectful, and attentive."

I'm dubious, but I suppose it's worth a try? I do reflect back my kids' emotions, even when they're too tiny to talk, but I've done it more like "Oh no! You really want nuggets! You didn't know it was too late and now you're so mad! [child name here] is so mad and all he wants to do is scream!" - probably because I'm so used to trying to amplify their vocabulary (first son had (still has, actually) a tongue tie, second son has a substantial speech delay) that reverting to exactly repeating them would sound insincere, and the point is that you're saying "I hear exactly what you're saying and I know you're really upset and that's important," and proving it by repeating what they're yelling telling you.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

hooah posted:

Our 3.5-year-old's nighttime diapers' sticky tabs often break during the night, resulting in accidents. How can we prevent that from happening?

We switched to the GoodNites in XS at that age. They hold an absolute ton of piss compared to diapers and since theyre aimed at older kids, they're much more underwear like compared to pull ups.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

hooah posted:

Our 3.5-year-old's nighttime diapers' sticky tabs often break during the night, resulting in accidents. How can we prevent that from happening?

Pampers cruisers has a new line that pulls up.
Huggies little movers slip on is another option.
Or just regular pull-ups, I’ve found those to be sufficiently absorbent and they have nighttime versions.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hi_Bears posted:

Or just regular pull-ups, I’ve found those to be sufficiently absorbent and they have nighttime versions.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

Heners_UK posted:

We still mostly feed our 16.5mo old in just the nappy. Also, bath time directly follows dinner time. I'll pick her up from the chair and take her straight to the prerun bath.

HAH! Love the idea of pre-running a bath.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok, I've written this 5 times now. I think I've paired down my worries to him eating. The rest of his issues are my fault for not working with him more. :sigh: Go go failure as a parent feelings.

How in hell do you get a 3 year old to eat something other than Mac n Cheese, Cheese rollups, Chicken Nuggets, and candy? I know he won't let himself starve but even if we fix what he's asking for, sometimes he just eats 1 or 2 bites and gets distracted by anything else. I wouldn't worry as much if he ate some veggies that he used to love or, well, anything else but here I am. :sigh:

Having a 3 year old is rough. Somehow more rough than when he was a newborn\infant.

There's a resource for this -- Feeding Littles. They have a course you have to pay for, but a lot of very good, free information on their blog and instagram. It's a pediatric OT and nutritionist duo.
If you're very very concerned you also might be entitled to a free OT consult through EI services, depending on where you live and how old your kid is.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

zingiber posted:

HAH! Love the idea of pre-running a bath.

Start with bathwater, finish with a tasty stock

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 8-month-old has been having a hard time staying asleep during the second half of the night lately. He'll go back to sleep pretty quickly, but may wake back up anywhere from ten minutes to an hour later. This really sucks for us. Any ideas on how to help him?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

zingiber posted:

There's a resource for this -- Feeding Littles. They have a course you have to pay for, but a lot of very good, free information on their blog and instagram. It's a pediatric OT and nutritionist duo.
If you're very very concerned you also might be entitled to a free OT consult through EI services, depending on where you live and how old your kid is.

Appreciate it. I'm looking at the Instagram and gave it to my wife to look at too. Hopefully, we'll be able to get him to eat more\eat better with this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok, I've written this 5 times now. I think I've paired down my worries to him eating. The rest of his issues are my fault for not working with him more. :sigh: Go go failure as a parent feelings.

How in hell do you get a 3 year old to eat something other than Mac n Cheese, Cheese rollups, Chicken Nuggets, and candy? I know he won't let himself starve but even if we fix what he's asking for, sometimes he just eats 1 or 2 bites and gets distracted by anything else. I wouldn't worry as much if he ate some veggies that he used to love or, well, anything else but here I am. :sigh:

Having a 3 year old is rough. Somehow more rough than when he was a newborn\infant.

First of all, you're not a failure as a parent. I know how lovely that feels but you're actively concerned about his well being. The fact that you feel bad is just an indication that you care. lovely parents don't care. Three year olds are terrors. Everything about "terrible twos" is bullshit because it lulls you into a false sense of security. "Oh, they're three now," you think to yourself, "the terrible twos are over." And that's when all hell breaks loose.

With respect to food, in our case we simply didn't negotiate with terrorists. Our daughter eats what we eat, or she doesn't eat at all. It sucks, especially when she's presented with a food she's loved in the past but now apparently hates with a passion, but it's not as if she's going to starve. If she's tried something and doesn't like the taste (which to my knowledge hasn't actually happened since she's not terribly picky and my wife is a great cook) then she can have leftovers. What we've absolutely avoided is providing her with any kind of special meal, because if given that choice she absolutely would only eat Mac & Cheese until the end of days.

Candy, ice cream, and related items fall under the category of "special treats" which we dole out less than once per day, and only if she's been a "good listener" and not lost the privilege.

In our case our daughter has no issues with gaining weight and is otherwise healthy (if extremely strong willed) so this approach works for us. Your experience is almost certainly different and I'm glad to see there are other options. We have a family friend whose son is very underweight and will flat out refuse to eat most things, so I totally get why he gets chicken nuggets.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 30, 2019

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In our case our daughter has no issues with gaining weight and is otherwise healthy (if extremely strong willed) so this approach works for us. Your experience is almost certainly different and I'm glad to see there are other options. We have a family friend whose son is very underweight and will flat out refuse to eat most things, so I totally get why he gets chicken nuggets.

Yeah, with my older son at the same age I would say "eat, or don't", and he would, or he wouldn't, and if he didn't he'd be hungrier the next day and eat more then. For anybody younger than school-age, it's fine to look at how much they eat over a week rather than over a day, unless that specific kid's pediatrician says otherwise, anyway.

My younger son is underweight and is extremely, extremely picky: foods he liked the day before are now too "crunchy", "hot", or "sour" (these being the three negative adjectives he has for food), and he doesn't make up for not eating the next day. So, our agreement is that if he'll wait until I've eaten my own dinner, I will make him chicken nuggets or a peanut butter sandwich. (He might be 75% peanut butter by mass at this point.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

zonohedron posted:

Yeah, with my older son at the same age I would say "eat, or don't", and he would, or he wouldn't, and if he didn't he'd be hungrier the next day and eat more then. For anybody younger than school-age, it's fine to look at how much they eat over a week rather than over a day, unless that specific kid's pediatrician says otherwise, anyway.

My younger son is underweight and is extremely, extremely picky: foods he liked the day before are now too "crunchy", "hot", or "sour" (these being the three negative adjectives he has for food), and he doesn't make up for not eating the next day. So, our agreement is that if he'll wait until I've eaten my own dinner, I will make him chicken nuggets or a peanut butter sandwich. (He might be 75% peanut butter by mass at this point.)

Have you considered trying to have your younger son help you cook? I was chatting with my wife about it and she mentioned that she's had success with cooking together as well as having our daughter make choices about dinner.

Something else we've done is negotiate a number of bites. For example our daughter can have leftovers, but only after she's had a bite of what we're eating. Perhaps you could negotiate something where he can eat his chicken nuggets with you, but only after he's had X bites of dinner. That way you're reinforcing the norm that the family eats together.

ApostrophePolice
Feb 17, 2011

Nice.
Does anyone here have any experience handling kids' birthdays around the holiday season? We have a 17 month old daughter whose birthday is on new year's eve, and we're expecting a second bub around 23rd December. (We're nothing if not consistent.)

We're considering doing a kind of 'half birthday' celebration in the summer so that they can each have a day for themselves that they don't have to share with everyone else, does that sound sensible or are we overthinking this?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ApostrophePolice posted:

Does anyone here have any experience handling kids' birthdays around the holiday season? We have a 17 month old daughter whose birthday is on new year's eve, and we're expecting a second bub around 23rd December. (We're nothing if not consistent.)

We're considering doing a kind of 'half birthday' celebration in the summer so that they can each have a day for themselves that they don't have to share with everyone else, does that sound sensible or are we overthinking this?

March must be a fun month for you two.

Honestly I feel you're overthinking this. It feels to me that you would be emphasizing how odd your kid's birthdays are, and at a younger age they might not understand what a "half birthday" is and think she was born in June. Hell my daughter is 4 and every month we have to explain how she isn't turning 5 yet. Having her birthday on New Year's Eve shouldn't be that big of a deal since the New Year's stuff would happen long after her bedtime anyway, and I suspect you'll be running a bunch of combined birthdays in the future anyway for the sake of scheduling.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh hey, nice. Got both in before the tax year ends. We had to get ours 10 weeks early to make sure of our deduction!

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Well, we got our ENT referral evaluation scheduled for Monday.

I've got a pretty good handle on what to ask the surgeon and the procedure and whatnot. For those of you who have gone through the tubes process:

1) How quickly was the surgery scheduled? Obviously practices will differ, looking for a ballpark.
2) My reading suggests baby can go back to daycare the next day, is this in line with your experience? Or were they fussy/groggy/pissed enough to keep at home for an extra day?

I have some flexibility to work from home (and do, 2x a week), but I like to give my boss a heads up as early as possible when taking extra work from home days.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2DEG posted:

Well, we got our ENT referral evaluation scheduled for Monday.

I've got a pretty good handle on what to ask the surgeon and the procedure and whatnot. For those of you who have gone through the tubes process:

1) How quickly was the surgery scheduled? Obviously practices will differ, looking for a ballpark.
2) My reading suggests baby can go back to daycare the next day, is this in line with your experience? Or were they fussy/groggy/pissed enough to keep at home for an extra day?

I have some flexibility to work from home (and do, 2x a week), but I like to give my boss a heads up as early as possible when taking extra work from home days.

We had ours scheduled 6 days after the consultation, but it was mostly because someone else had cancelled. Average where we went was 2 weeks out.

Our son's procedure was first thing in the morning (9AM) and took 15 minutes. There was a 2 hour recovery period to make sure he didn't have a reaction to medication. He was home and playing like normal by 1. He went to daycare the next day.

We were told by our daycare provider that there have been kids who come in to daycare straight from the hospital after surgery. It really is a super easy procedure with very little recovery needed (statistically).

Also, he has been markedly happier since the procedure, so we're very glad we did it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When your kid gets older, if they still need tubes, it can be done in the office. They put numbing drops in their ears and pop the tubes right in. The procedure itself is simple and fast, little kids just need sedation since they wouldn’t tolerate lying still to have it done in the office. Most kids are usually back to normal not long after the procedure.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

zingiber posted:

This is a great resource. Thanks for the tip!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does anyone have a Graco Extend2Fit car seat? We’re looking at getting one but some people say that it’s impossible or hard to tighten the chest straps, but I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt because some people are just pretty inept.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

nwin posted:

Does anyone have a Graco Extend2Fit car seat? We’re looking at getting one but some people say that it’s impossible or hard to tighten the chest straps, but I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt because some people are just pretty inept.

We have two. They're great seats. Neither myself nor my wife have any issues with the straps.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nwin posted:

We have three (3) and have no such issue. I often reach round the back of the car seat and hold the 3 way join to get the straps just right.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Heners_UK posted:

We have three (3) and have no such issue. I often reach round the back of the car seat and hold the 3 way join to get the straps just right.

That's exactly what I do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That’s perfect -thank you. I figured it was just amazon reviewers who can’t read instructions and it looks like I’m right-ordered.

That’s much better than the other ones wirecutter recommends for $2-400.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Based on what I saw with 2 younger brothers, and what I'm starting to see with my daughter, the dual cup holders were important for ease of life. IRT the wirecutter's comment about it being more difficult to fit than the top pick, it's not outright difficult to fit by any means... I find it very easy and it's rare your fitting it at all. Read the manual (and keep it in the storage slot) and that is a non problem

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone have any advice on transitioning from a Merlin sleep suit to a sleep sack? Our little girl slept 90 mins before waking all the way up, when usually she can make it five to six hours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We just went from Merlin’s to nothing. We also moved to Virginia where’s its much warmer so that helped the decision.

We started with legs out, arms in the suit and then let him sleep (monitored) on top of the suit. Now he doesn’t have it with him anymore. Took maybe a week?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had the same problem going from a swaddle to a sleep sack. It took him about 3 days to figure it out on his own.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

ApostrophePolice posted:

You are overthinking it. Do something small on the actual day, do something combined to make it easy for friends and family to celebrate after the Holidays.

I have 4 kids. My oldest son's birthday is right around Thanksgiving, my oldest daughter is New Year's Eve and my youngest daughter is early January. (My husband is the day after Christmas. My mother and father-in-law are early December. I loving hate the holidays, it is mentally and physically exhausting juggling all those "special days" and the actual holidays.)

I have been holding a combined birthday party for the kids, up until last year we did it in early December midway between my son and oldest daughter's birthdays. Now with the younger daughter, we hold a combined birthday party in early January. We do something special for them on their actual birthdays - we lucked out because their birthdays are on school holidays we don't do anything school related, we just invite all school friends to the big combined birthday party in January when everyone is back from vacation.

My youngest son is in early March, he is free and clear of everyone but we don't want to leave him out so we include him in the big birthday party. Because why not? Then he gets something awesome in March, usually an adventure everyone enjoys.

Funny story, with my second kid I was actually trying to be due in mid-January. At my first sonogram, I laughed at the doctor when he told me my due date was New Year's Day. I forgot they measured from when you last menstruated, not when you actually conceived. Whoopsie! At least she was born a day early - mama's l'il tax deduction.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

nwin posted:

We just went from Merlin’s to nothing. We also moved to Virginia where’s its much warmer so that helped the decision.

We started with legs out, arms in the suit and then let him sleep (monitored) on top of the suit. Now he doesn’t have it with him anymore. Took maybe a week?

We also did this - sleep sack to blankets, plus crib side off in anticipation of moving him to a bed and giving his sister (in two months) the crib.

He went from sleeping into 830am every day (sometimes we had to wake him) to getting up at 645ish, though he'll usually play for a bit in his room. We've only once had to scrape him off the floor and put him into bed.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We had ours scheduled 6 days after the consultation, but it was mostly because someone else had cancelled. Average where we went was 2 weeks out.

Our son's procedure was first thing in the morning (9AM) and took 15 minutes. There was a 2 hour recovery period to make sure he didn't have a reaction to medication. He was home and playing like normal by 1. He went to daycare the next day.

We were told by our daycare provider that there have been kids who come in to daycare straight from the hospital after surgery. It really is a super easy procedure with very little recovery needed (statistically).

Also, he has been markedly happier since the procedure, so we're very glad we did it.

That's good to hear, thanks!

It took the doc all of a single glance into the most recently infected ear to go "Yep, he needs help." Lots of thick fluid apparently, and he thinks it's been there for a long time. Hearing screen had no movement of the eardrum (see: fluid), so we had to sit in the weird acoustic room for the talky test and yep, minor hearing loss. Lucky for us, they reserve morning surgery slots for kids, and I guess they're not super busy, so Thursday's the big day!

It's funny how I've been on the sidelines for my husband's multiple, far more serious surgeries, and barely batted an eye, while this minor outpatient procedure is making me tear up randomly and eat my feelings something fierce. Babies, man.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2DEG posted:

It's funny how I've been on the sidelines for my husband's multiple, far more serious surgeries, and barely batted an eye, while this minor outpatient procedure is making me tear up randomly and eat my feelings something fierce. Babies, man.

I hear you. I was flipping my poo poo because I had to be out of town for work when my son had his. I was on the phone with my wife the whole time she was able and had a Lyft staged to bring me to the airport, so I could fly home ASAP if things went south.

I overreacted quite a bit, but when your 11mo is going into surgery, all the worst things fly through your mind (even if it barely passes for surgery).

To reiterate, though, ear tubes are so simple, routine, and statistically successful. There's nothing to fret about.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Are temper tantrums in 14 month olds normal? My daughter is about 3 months ahead of schedule size and development wise, but I was hoping that epic tantrums wouldn't start in earnest until she was two. My wife and I have been caught off guard this past week - we haven't really planned how we will "parent" through a tantrum so we end up reinforcing the tantrums by giving in to whatever she is throwing a tantrum about. For example, she usually throws a tantrum if we don't pick her up. She will follow us around latching onto our legs and pushing her head between our legs until she gets picked up. Something else that I'm at a loss with is during a tantrum, she will start arching her back and throwing her body backwards without any regard for whether she might hurt herself. Any tips for how to deal with this?

The past few days have been pretty overwhelming so any tips, resources, or books on toddlers would be appreciated. Any behavioral red flags to watch out for? She's generally a happy kid, but she had a fever last week and got injured at daycare today so these past few days have been really rough for her and we are kind of at a loss at what to do besides making sure that she feels safe and loved.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

laxbro posted:

Are temper tantrums in 14 month olds normal? My daughter is about 3 months ahead of schedule size and development wise, but I was hoping that epic tantrums wouldn't start in earnest until she was two. My wife and I have been caught off guard this past week - we haven't really planned how we will "parent" through a tantrum so we end up reinforcing the tantrums by giving in to whatever she is throwing a tantrum about. For example, she usually throws a tantrum if we don't pick her up. She will follow us around latching onto our legs and pushing her head between our legs until she gets picked up. Something else that I'm at a loss with is during a tantrum, she will start arching her back and throwing her body backwards without any regard for whether she might hurt herself. Any tips for how to deal with this?

The past few days have been pretty overwhelming so any tips, resources, or books on toddlers would be appreciated. Any behavioral red flags to watch out for? She's generally a happy kid, but she had a fever last week and got injured at daycare today so these past few days have been really rough for her and we are kind of at a loss at what to do besides making sure that she feels safe and loved.

It's normal.
Congrats on your toddler :)

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I posted earlier about my wife possibly having PPD. Nothing much has changed, even though I keep encouraging her to talk to a therapist about it, but this is not what my question is about.

Our 14 month old hasn't been eating well for a few months now, which is compounded by her waking up several times per night and not falling asleep again until she gets to nurse. Now that she has started to fall behind the weight curve for her age, our pediatrician has suggested that she wakes at night because of hunger and that we should supplement with two formula feeds per day, one during the day and one before bedtime.

It turns out that she no longer wants to eat from a bottle or knows how to, she would not tell. We'll try one of her water bottles next, as well as trying to get her used to drinking formula during the day from her cups, but right now it seems like a yet another struggle. My question is - how do we get her to drink formula or, failing that, convince her to eat more solids during the day?

sheri posted:

It's normal.
Congrats on your toddler :)

Can confirm. We're dealing with the same.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

laxbro posted:

"Terrible Twos" is a really optimistic name for "Terrible 1 and change through till 3 and a bit." It depends on the kid, but once they realize they can push those boundaries, they start. They won't nicely wait until their two, unfortunately.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I asked my wife (who works in early education) and her answer was, it's never too early to start and it doesn't end until their mid 30s so you better get used to it.

Good luck!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Renegret posted:

I asked my wife (who works in early education) and her answer was, it's never too early to start and it doesn't end until their mid 30s so you better get used to it.

Good luck!

For some people it doesn't EVER end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Slimy Hog posted:

For some people it doesn't EVER end.

No doxx plz. :(