Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's more the planning aspect of the spatial puzzle that is difficult for some people, and it's not really feasible to place a lot of things at once to test it before you have the pieces in AFfO or would give away too much in games like Patchwork. I like that extra layer to these games, but definitely can see how it would be frustrating for others, much like games that need lots of little math equations. Even if each equation is simple addition, it can be tiring or off putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Still need it for any meeple draw tiles. Also, much like playing T&E with open scoring, playing with open screens turns Keyflower into an absolute slog in my experience. It made for an interesting change in the gameplay but not one I would repeat. A big part of the fun and tension is making a gamble on a big bid and hoping you can hold onto it, removing any mystery to color counts ruins that aspect on top of the AP it causes.

I would absolutely pay for some nice puzzle fit laser cut wood houses though, someone?!

Playing by the rules just made it feel arbitrary to us. Which is why I sold the game. Which is why we played it with my rules because he was disappointed that I sold it :).

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Morpheus posted:

I don't know what aptitudes you really need though - it's not like the pieces are hard to fit together or anything like that, and in every case you have the option to simply pick up a piece and find out where it fits on your board, so I'm not sure why you need any kind of special spacial reasoning skills to do something like that.

Spatial orientation/reasoning is decidedly a separate aptitude. If it comes naturally to you I could understand why you would think it does not take any such reasoning, but for some people (e.g. me), our minds do not just work to "fit" things together like that in space. (By way of example, I've also never enjoyed or been good at putting together Lego stuff, mechanical things, etc. I'm the guy who sees instructions for something mechanical and actually has to sit there for way too long trying to orient myself to understand which way the screw is being turned, which way the piece of wood is supposed to slide in, etc.) And bluntly, I don't want to play a game that involves me (or anyone else) grabbing pieces over and over again to see how they might fit into different spots, puzzle like, onto an existing player board. It's like watching someone maximize putting together a jigsaw puzzle. That is way too slow, and inconsiderate to other players (it's frankly boring to do and boring to watch).

So if you don't want to sit there while someone grabs six different pieces and physically shuffles them around various spots on a board to see where they might fit in, you have to be able to do it in your head. People who can do it better in their head are at a distinct advantage. My mind just does not take various shapes and say, "Hey, this fits in there, and then that little piece would add into that little nook, etc." very well. Whereas, for example, my daughter's mind does work that way, and it shows in a very drastic difference in ability to plan ahead efficiently and effectively.

There's nothing wrong with that if you enjoy that type of thing, but I really, really don't.

EDIT: Basically, what Bottom Liner said above.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 3, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shadow225 posted:

What are some suggestions for bar games? I am putting together a game pack that stays in my car.

Here's what I am thinking currently:
Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

Hanabi is compact and fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

What are some suggestions for bar games? I am putting together a game pack that stays in my car.

Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

Onitama is good and its small rectangular box can hold a few card games and stuff inside as well (remove the insert).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SlyFrog posted:

For me, it just feels jarring - like having a board game about football have a component of it that requires you to go outside and throw a football through a tire swing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SlyFrog posted:

Spatial orientation/reasoning is decidedly a separate aptitude. If it comes naturally to you I could understand why you would think it does not take any such reasoning, but for some people (e.g. me), our minds do not just work to "fit" things together like that in space. (By way of example, I've also never enjoyed or been good at putting together Lego stuff, mechanical things, etc. I'm the guy who sees instructions for something mechanical and actually has to sit there for way too long trying to orient myself to understand which way the screw is being turned, which way the piece of wood is supposed to slide in, etc.) And bluntly, I don't want to play a game that involves me (or anyone else) grabbing pieces over and over again to see how they might fit into different spots, puzzle like, onto an existing player board. It's like watching someone maximize putting together a jigsaw puzzle. That is way too slow, and inconsiderate to other players (it's frankly boring to do and boring to watch).

So if you don't want to sit there while someone grabs six different pieces and physically shuffles them around various spots on a board to see where they might fit in, you have to be able to do it in your head. People who can do it better in their head are at a distinct advantage. My mind just does not take various shapes and say, "Hey, this fits in their, and then that little piece would add into that little nook, etc." very well. Whereas, for example, my daughter's mind does work that way, and it shows in a very drastic difference in ability to plan ahead efficiently and effectively.

There's nothing wrong with that if you enjoy that type of thing, but I really, really don't.

EDIT: Basically, what Bottom Liner said above.

Mm, guess I've never thought about it that way before. That's fair, I can see where that can become frustrating. I have the same issue with engine-building games, where I simply can't work out the permutations of various abilities/pieces that can be chained together in the most efficient way. I still like playing them...I'm just really really bad at making anything worthwhile.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

Admittedly, that is just a personal preference, but I have never been one to like to really mix up game mechanics/aptitudes needed to play games. I always used to joke (except not joke) about Advanced Squad Leader and having to manually eyeball line of sight, and how ridiculous that was, in a game that is purely mental, for some reason to have that specific eyesight/spacial aptitude test seemed silly.

I forgot that ASL LOS worked that way. God.

I think the wildest part is that the boards are modular so if you play a ton of ASL you'll play on the same boards over and over again, which means a really experienced player will just know a ton of the common LOS issues.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Shadow225 posted:

Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

For Sale. It's a quick game (no more than 15 minutes) that's just about auctions. There are two rounds: in the first, players are bidding their cash to buy houses. Each house is represented by a card numbered 1 through 30, which are randomly drawn from a deck of 30 cards. Cards are drawn out and auctioned in sets equal to the number of players (so everyone gets a house from every auction, with the highest bidder getting the best) until the deck runs out.

In the second round, players are buying checks valued $0-15 (two of each card in the deck, with no $1s), in a similar auction style, except this time you're bidding using the house cards you acquired in round 1. Each player secretly selects a house card, and the best house gets the best check. This repeats until the second deck runs out, and the person with the most money wins (this includes money left over from the first round).

Our group busts this out every few weeks and it's always a hit. Just use poker chips or another currency token, as the paper chips included are pretty flimsy.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 3, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

canyoneer posted:

Hanabi is compact and fun.

Well, it is compact!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bellmaker posted:

Well, it is compact!

And stressful!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got the promo pack for Spirit Island! Something tells me I shouldn't introduce both the blight-dropper and the presence-eater at the same time.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

Roland Wright games? High Society? Deep Sea Adventures?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Shadow225 posted:

Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

Codenames if it's for six or more, Codenames Duet for four or less.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spiggy posted:

Codenames if it's for six or more, Codenames Duet for four or less.

Those should be in the same box anyway so bonus!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dungeon Buster's is legit horrible FTR.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Admittedly, that is just a personal preference, but I have never been one to like to really mix up game mechanics/aptitudes needed to play games.
For me, it just feels jarring - like having a board game about football have a component of it that requires you to go outside and throw a football through a tire swing.

Mayveena posted:

The Jennifer rules are once seen always seen.

To tie these two thoughts together: I almost always prefer open scoring because I want to focus my brain on strategy rather than having to simultaneously play the Memory game.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

To tie these two thoughts together: I almost always prefer open scoring because I want to focus my brain on strategy rather than having to simultaneously play the Memory game.

I 100% am the same way on this too. For exactly that reason.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SlyFrog posted:

I 100% am the same way on this too. For exactly that reason.

I think you should pick your place on the spectrum (once seen always seen -> You have to display your chips but cannot ask for a count -> screens) depending on group behavior and preference. If people tediously AP in the last turn, screens! If people take a long time to play because they are trying to remember stuff but don't AP in the last turn, play Jennifer rules. When I play Indonesia I prefer open displays but cannot ask someone for a count of their chips but whatever works.

None of these options actually change the game they just change player behaviour a bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It changes Keyflower via player behavior changing. There are cases where playing the normal hidden meeples way can still lead to semi-solved board states where one player gets a boat without a single color and then all other players can use that but not necessarily remember the count on the rest of things, much less for other players. Playing openly makes every move a have a counting step to calculate the right number and fundamentally changes the action economy of the game because people can outright win tiles in the first move of a round with a big exacting bid.

I can understand people liking that in some games, but in others like T&E open information flat out ruins the game. When you can perfectly count scores in T&E it causes the tile draw to have a much more pronounced influence on the winner of otherwise evenly skilled players.

I think overall open -> hidden info speeds up games and causes more dynamic and interesting play and isn't really a balance issue unless you're playing with someone with a truly remarkable memory.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 4, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

It changes Keyflower via player behavior changing. There are cases where playing the normal hidden meeples way can still lead to semi-solved board states where one player gets a boat without a single color and then all other players can use that but not necessarily remember the count on the rest of things, much less for other players. Playing openly makes every move a have a counting step to calculate the right number and fundamentally changes the action economy of the game because people can outright win tiles in the first move of a round with a big exacting bid.

I can understand people liking that in some games, but in others like T&E open information flat out ruins the game. When you can perfectly count scores in T&E it causes the tile draw to have a much more pronounced influence on the winner of otherwise evenly skilled players.

I think overall open -> hidden info speeds up games and causes more dynamic and interesting play and isn't really a balance issue unless you're playing with someone with a truly remarkable memory.

The Jennifer rule doesn't have to apply to ALL games :). Especially T&E. Which is why btw I don't play T&E. The problem is BL is that there are people who play board games who can remember, or more likely they remember what they are interested in and therefore win the game with a 'skill' that not all of us agree is a skill. I'm nearly 62 years old. My memory is not what it used to be. Some people simply don't have great memories and some have excellent memories (there's a guy in LA who can recall every card of a previously shuffled deck). I don't feel that memory should be something that helps you win a game. And in Keyflower it certainly does.

I'm fine with people playing the way they want to play. I'm not as fine with people criticizing a way to play because it doesn't affect them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While playing Keyflower I did notice that the hidden info wasn't that hidden to someone with a really good memory unless they produced workers some other way, but I played with 5 players and keeping that in the mental space was all but impossible. The fact it feels like a natural part of the game makes me wary to try the alternative rules, but I'll probably give it a go after a bunch more plays or someone complains about this aspect.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

While playing Keyflower I did notice that the hidden info wasn't that hidden to someone with a really good memory unless they produced workers some other way, but I played with 5 players and keeping that in the mental space was all but impossible. The fact it feels like a natural part of the game makes me wary to try the alternative rules, but I'll probably give it a go after a bunch more plays or someone complains about this aspect.

In the game A Key To London, Richard Breese specifically calls me out and those rules as a gamer's variant so you would have his blessing. It's not an untried by the designer house rule.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The problem I see with 'Jennifer' rules is that there could be a lot more AP present. If you're wondering how much to bid on something, you either remember what someone has or you don't - you're making an educated guess usually. If you know exactly what they have, though, now you're trying to calculate what happens if you put two yellows here, and they counter with three, and you move two elsewhere, they won't counter but now they can use the two blues instead, so should you instead use a few blues to counter that, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that making choices based on limited information will almost always be faster than making them based on perfect information. I'd give them a shot, but I'd be interested to see how it would affect playtime.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 4, 2019

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

SettingSun posted:

I'll echo that; in my case we were playing with 6 and there was enough meeple production that I just had a general sense of what people had instead of numbers. If screens were open, I would've known that one of the players was secretly banking the blue meeples they used to swipe the winter tile I wanted, which would've changed my own strategy to be more conservative.

Having hidden info made a few of us more aggressive than we normally would've been, which I think was a good thing that made us have more fun overall. We also have AP prone people, so screens work well for us.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The problem I see with 'Jennifer' rules is that there could be a lot more AP present. If you're wondering how much to bid on something, you either remember what someone has or you don't - you're making an educated guess usually. If you know exactly what they have, though, now you're trying to calculate what happens if you put two yellows here, and they counter with three, and you move two elsewhere, they won't counter but now they can use the two blues instead, so should you instead use a few blues to counter that, etc.

I think it is the opposite. If there is hidden information, I tend to slow down the game without trying, as I naturally spend more time trying to remember the information that becomes hidden (both before it becomes hidden and after).

I don't play hidden information games though, unless I have to in order to get a game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that making choices based on limited information will almost always be faster than making them based on perfect information. I'd give them a shot, but I'd be interested to see how it would affect playtime.

Agreed that past four they are probably not a good idea based on simply logistics and perhaps he should have clarified that and I should have clarified that in this conversation :). I think (and I'm up to being challenged if I'm wrong) that normally you don't care about every meeple every player has So when I'm thinking of placing meeples I'm trying to execute my strategy (whatever that may be). Some other players' meeples will affect that strategy, but most won't. So if I'm looking at executing my strategy, I'm only looking at a few meeples outside of my own, not all of them. I can then make a reasonably fast and relatively accurate assessment of what could happen.

Sure if someone is going to use the rules as an excuse to AP then they won't work for your group. I don't play with players like that (nor does Richard as far as I saw, that dude is a speed player) so it doesn't come up for us. But I would argue that if you are going to play with AP players, then a lot of games are off limits for your group, not just Keyflower with the Jennifer rules.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Sure if someone is going to use the rules as an excuse to AP then they won't work for your group. I don't play with players like that (nor does Richard as far as I saw, that dude is a speed player) so it doesn't come up for us. But I would argue that if you are going to play with AP players, then a lot of games are off limits for your group, not just Keyflower with the Jennifer rules.

Well, there's at least one player I play with that has moderate AP. She won't take an hour to analyze the board, but it does tend to be just a little longer than everyone else's turn. Usually not a huge problem, but it's certainly something I try not to make worse.

Me, I have terrible memory, which I think adds to my enjoyment of Keyflower. When I think my opponent has four red meeples but they actually have five or six, it's never a feeling of disappointment, like I'm a dummy that got played, I just laugh at my terrible memory and curse jokingly as he swipes a tile out from under me. Then I move the meeples elsewhere, which really that one little things adds a layer of strategy to the game that I think negates needing to memorize exactly what people have, since I find often I can play around it by bluffing what tiles I want before moving to another one. It's led to me winning as much as I've lost.

Regardless, it's great that the creator endorses these rules, makes for a great alternative for people to try. If it works, great! If it doesn't, the base game is still pretty sweet.

Damnit now I really want to play a game or two of Keyflower.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

The Jennifer rule doesn't have to apply to ALL games :). Especially T&E. Which is why btw I don't play T&E. The problem is BL is that there are people who play board games who can remember, or more likely they remember what they are interested in and therefore win the game with a 'skill' that not all of us agree is a skill. I'm nearly 62 years old. My memory is not what it used to be. Some people simply don't have great memories and some have excellent memories (there's a guy in LA who can recall every card of a previously shuffled deck). I don't feel that memory should be something that helps you win a game. And in Keyflower it certainly does.

I'm fine with people playing the way they want to play. I'm not as fine with people criticizing a way to play because it doesn't affect them.

I think that's it right there. I don't have a single friend in my gaming circle that is able to memorize the "hidden trackable information" and exploit it to everyone else's disadvantage so there's never been an issue with it. The closest we get is Cyclades and the odd person remembering how much money you made and spent and then spilling the beans to everyone.

EDIT: Yeah, in Civ the level 9 stack turns into a game of hot potato depending on how people play it and I think it's one thing that vets have to tell newbies to worry about.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 4, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So in the ancient game Civilization, it was definitely an advantage to know where the (dammit can't remember the name of the card :) but it was a card that was pretty devastating) card was. A friend didn't memorize all the cards, just that one. And that's what I'm saying. You don't need to memorize all the meeples, just the ones you care about, and even then you really only need to memorize how many are out there. For many people, that's not difficult, for me it is difficult and tedious on top of it.

It also comes down to how competitive your group is. My group is pretty competitive, they play to win. They aren't however rude about it thankfully. If your group doesn't really care much about winning then you wouldn't need the rule.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

So in the ancient game Civilization, it was definitely an advantage to know where the (dammit can't remember the name of the card :) but it was a card that was pretty devastating) card was. A friend didn't memorize all the cards, just that one. And that's what I'm saying. You don't need to memorize all the meeples, just the ones you care about, and even then you really only need to memorize how many are out there. For many people, that's not difficult, for me it is difficult and tedious on top of it.

It also comes down to how competitive your group is. My group is pretty competitive, they play to win. They aren't however rude about it thankfully. If your group doesn't really care much about winning then you wouldn't need the rule.

Yeah knowing when epidemic came up, or knowing exactly when civil war would occur so you can have your city count after that... it's huge. Don't buy gold until piracy pops.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A slight variant is also made by the game Container or Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant. Money is hidden, but before any time the money becomes important, like an auction, everyone briefly states their amount.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never expected me fawning over how good Keyflower was to become a debate on pseudo-hidden information! It never seemed to come up when I read about the game beforehand somehow.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is money open in 18xx games? We always play with open money because even though it seems unthematic that robber barons would be transparent about their wealth it makes the games more strategic when I can just open a bid with the lowest amount that shuts you out.

I'm with the "Jennifer Rules" because while it may slightly increase AP the alternative is everyone taking notes on their phone. We play games competitively, sometimes things get really salty (but in a friendly way) so I'd rather have everyone on equal footing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think if you're concerned about perfect information leading to too much AP the better solution is to play something with imperfect information instead of having perfect but inconvenient information.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The other bonus hidden VPs does is to create a fuzzy area so you’re not just going for the leader all the time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SoftNum posted:

Roland Wright games? High Society? Deep Sea Adventures?

I'm sure that I'm being an idiot, but Roland Wright = Roll and Write? If so, that would be something to consider, though I would need to think about which to carry. Ganz Schon Clever I think would be too heavy, while the markers in Railroad Ink would dry quickly. I've not tried anything else yet.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. For Sale, High Society and DSA are great suggestions. Onitama I should try because I'm not sure I need yet another 2P only game, but I could make the case for bringing something like Hanamikoji as well. Maybe I should jump on another copy of Jaipur before the small box edition gets hard to find...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

A slight variant is also made by the game Container or Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant. Money is hidden, but before any time the money becomes important, like an auction, everyone briefly states their amount.

As an AP person with a bad memory this sounds like hell.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

As an AP person with a bad memory this sounds like hell.

It prevents the Catan problem of dissuading people from trading with the leader, slowing the whole game down. I think very often when people complain about hidden VPs preventing good strategy, the only strategy they're really talking about is going after the leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

I'm sure that I'm being an idiot, but Roland Wright = Roll and Write?

Yeah sorry I thought this joke was a little more universal. Apparently when vloggers started talking about roll and write games (Particularly SUSD iirc) people through they were talking about a new designer Roland Wright.

EDIT: Also Qwinto is lighter than GSC and is a pad and pen game iirc.