Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

djfooboo posted:

I just broke the Wizkids clause and bought Seal Team Fux for a steal. Suck it thread! Looks 3X7R3M3!!!!

Be really careful when punching out and installing the wall pieces. Following the instructions and make sure you don't lose any of the tiny rear end pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

djfooboo posted:

Seal Team Fux

Go on.....

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thebardyspoon posted:

Hey, this is a bit of a longshot but is anybody in this thread going to/ already at the UK Games Expo who also has some freetime and the inclination to help a fellow goon out? I play a game called Heroclix and apparently there are some exclusive convention figures you can buy there, this is a picture of the display apparently, https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...53&oe=5D51B9ED..

I had no idea as the company in charge is very bad at promoting their poo poo so had no plans to go and cannot at such short notice but if someone is there and willing to sort something out (I guess you buy them and I paypal you then you send them to me? Or if you live near Reading you could come give them to me in person) then that'd be great, don't have PMs but tehrevel@hotmail.com is my email, I promise I'm not a dick who will leave you holding the bag.
I can do this, can you send me a picture of what you need (link doesn’t work) and what company sells it!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tekopo posted:

I can do this, can you send me a picture of what you need (link doesn’t work) and what company sells it!

You sure mate? Cheers. It's Wizkids, they have a booth apparently. This picture should work, https://imgur.com/a/8NIFUCv. The main ones I'd like are the Spiderverse duo and the Robby Reed but all of them would be nice since this is the only chance I'll ever have to buy them in the UK probably. They might have sold out of some or all of them by now, I've no idea what the supply looks like so if they have no worries. Also not sure how big that Ghost Rider on a Mammoth is. I'll pay for however much the postage costs obviously plus a bit extra for the hassle.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 1, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sure no problem I’ll see how many I can get

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I finally got a game of Quacks in to see what the complaints were about

this was the last turn for my neighbour

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

xiw posted:

And for those of us who haven't played it, more explanation please?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

You sure mate? Cheers. It's Wizkids, they have a booth apparently. This picture should work, https://imgur.com/a/8NIFUCv. The main ones I'd like are the Spiderverse duo and the Robby Reed but all of them would be nice since this is the only chance I'll ever have to buy them in the UK probably. They might have sold out of some or all of them by now, I've no idea what the supply looks like so if they have no worries. Also not sure how big that Ghost Rider on a Mammoth is. I'll pay for however much the postage costs obviously plus a bit extra for the hassle.
The only one they had left was static shock and it was the very last one in stock. I got it, p&p should be cheap.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tekopo posted:

The only one they had left was static shock and it was the very last one in stock. I got it, p&p should be cheap.

Wow, thanks alot man, I know I said they might have sold out but I wasn't necessarily actually expecting it. He was the third on the list after those other two so I'm pretty happy with that. Let me know how you want to do this and I'll sort it.

Don't suppose they had a sign saying that was it or that they'd put more out tomorrow? I'm gonna guess they were putting all their stock out yesterday and whatever was left today was all they had but just wondering. In any case, cheers again, when I saw yesterday that these things were available I was resigned to not getting any of them so it is much appreciated.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 1, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Wow, thanks alot man, I know I said they might have sold out but I wasn't necessarily actually expecting it. He was the third on the list after those other two so I'm pretty happy with that. Let me know how you want to do this and I'll sort it.

Don't suppose they had a sign saying that was it or that they'd put more out tomorrow? I'm gonna guess they were putting all their stock out yesterday and whatever was left today was all they had but just wondering. In any case, cheers again, when I saw yesterday that these things were available I was resigned to not getting any of them so it is much appreciated.
They had a sheet with all of them stickered “sold out”. I’ll check tomorrow when I get in ahead of the crowd and let you know though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

silvergoose posted:

And for those of us who haven't played it, more explanation please?

Quacks is kinda like a deckbuilder, but you are drawing tiles from a bag. The tiles drawn are the timer, after you have drawn a total value higher than 7, your turn is done. The player likely has 8-12 other tiles in their bag, two of which are also timers, so it’s just a very low probablity, extremely negative outcome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fellis posted:

Quacks is kinda like a deckbuilder, but you are drawing tiles from a bag. The tiles drawn are the timer, after you have drawn a total value higher than 7, your turn is done. The player likely has 8-12 other tiles in their bag, two of which are also timers, so it’s just a very low probablity, extremely negative outcome.

Judging by the number of rat tails they have, a built in catch up mechanism based on the score difference between your place and 1st, and how few times their tear drop advanced, they are either a living curse and you should never fly with them or they bought nothing the whole game.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also they still have their neutralising potion. Given it was the last turn, why didn't they use it to kill the 3?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
They didn't have the potion up thts turn, the pic was during cleanup. The rest of their bag is visible in the top right.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I was thrift shopping today, found some really neat-looking educational games, so I'm giving those to my friend who is pregnant, the kid can have some fun with those in a few years, learning vowels and marine biology. I also found a copy of this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1621/mutant-chronicles-siege-citadel

(not my picture of course, it's real dark right now.)

The box is in not in great shape, a good amount of scuffing(of course the thrift store people taped it closed, too), and some broken seams. I open it up, and the drat thing is unpunched. The only thing anyone's touched is the minis, the cards are still in shrink, etc.

So what do I do with it? Is it worth playing, or just a bygone novelty? Is it worth selling? I see on ebay and the BGG Market copies listed for either $40, or $150, but is anyone buying either of those?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi! I went to find a copy of Battlestar Galactica today and discovered it was out of print and very expensive. I know there used to be forum games here all the time, do the resources for that still exist? I remember some very cool homebrew programs floating around at one point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah came in early today before the crowd and they were 100% sold out, sorry

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Yeah came in early today before the crowd and they were 100% sold out, sorry

No worries, figured there was a chance of that. Got one at least so I'm pretty happy, the last one even.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Fideo posted:

I was thrift shopping today, found some really neat-looking educational games, so I'm giving those to my friend who is pregnant, the kid can have some fun with those in a few years, learning vowels and marine biology. I also found a copy of this:

The box is in not in great shape, a good amount of scuffing(of course the thrift store people taped it closed, too), and some broken seams. I open it up, and the drat thing is unpunched. The only thing anyone's touched is the minis, the cards are still in shrink, etc.

So what do I do with it? Is it worth playing, or just a bygone novelty? Is it worth selling? I see on ebay and the BGG Market copies listed for either $40, or $150, but is anyone buying either of those?

I played that in grade school! Long long time ago#

It's probably not worth playing, and who the hell knows if anyone's buying it either. There should be an actual games sold history on the BGG market too, so you can see if anyone's bought any copies in the last year or whatever...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

I played that in grade school! Long long time ago#

It's probably not worth playing, and who the hell knows if anyone's buying it either. There should be an actual games sold history on the BGG market too, so you can see if anyone's bought any copies in the last year or whatever...

One of my friends has a copy of it and I've seen it played. I can't remember much about it though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

El Fideo posted:

It's potentially worth selling, though a 2nd edition is rolling out now-ish. They got some big name designers on the 2nd edition and I know that it was at least partially based on nerdstalgia for the 1st edition.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

xiw posted:

If all those 15-ish pieces are the ones they bought during the game, what a legendary ouch. Doesn't even rise to the level of 1 in a thousand. But math is cruel.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What are some suggestions for bar games? I am putting together a game pack that stays in my car.

Here's what I am thinking currently:
Skull
Dungeon Busters
Pairs
No Thanks!
Love Letter
A deck of Cards

Games I am ruling out:
Cockroach Poker
Coup

Give me some cool ideas!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Push It is one of my favorite flicking games, playable on any (smoothish) table. It's just mini Bocce.

The Oink games would work well for something like that: Fake Artist, Insider, Startups, etc.

Bottle Imp, David & Goliath, and Potato Man are awesome small box trick takers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played Keyflower for the first time yesterday, and long story short I'm mad I haven't played this game sooner. I basically like every single part of the game, including the conspicuous lack of theme. It lived up to its reputation too: several people including myself got extremely mad at other players because of spiteful bidding. I will play this game forever.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Shadow225 posted:

Give me some cool ideas!

Hive (or pocket). You can even spill beer all over it and it will be fine.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

I have this. It's a solid enough game, straight out of the early nineties Hero Quest era. Straightforward without as much of the atmospheric touches (no furniture, no traps or secret doors). Fun if you enjoy simple dice combat with some level/equipment progression through a campaign (earn money through killing, spend money between missions). It's 1 vs all, but unlike Hero Quest, the hero players control 2 characters each and you swap out a new player for the enemy side each mission so that everyone gets a turn as the baddies.

Looks like people are still buying it on ebay for various prices (search for sold listings). The 2nd edition no doubt rekindled interest in the original.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SettingSun posted:

Played Keyflower for the first time yesterday, and long story short I'm mad I haven't played this game sooner. I basically like every single part of the game, including the conspicuous lack of theme. It lived up to its reputation too: several people including myself got extremely mad at other players because of spiteful bidding. I will play this game forever.

To save you time, the expansions are both meh.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Elysium posted:

Hive (or pocket). You can even spill beer all over it and it will be fine.

This is my go to pub game. I've had to give the pieces a wash afterwards once, but how many games would survive that. Recommended the standard game otherwise you'll lose the pieces while drunk.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

This is my go to pub game. I've had to give the pieces a wash afterwards once, but how many games would survive that.

Maybe Skull, if you play it with actual coasters instead of cardboard. Or A Fake Artist Goes to New York played with scratch paper.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Crackbone posted:

To save you time, the expansions are both meh.

Thanks, I was starting to check out what the expansions will offer.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe Skull, if you play it with actual coasters instead of cardboard. Or A Fake Artist Goes to New York played with scratch paper.

You can easily play skull with a normal deck of playing cards.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

SettingSun posted:

The first time I played Keyflower, I went all in on setting up to get points from one of the winter tiles, and then ended up getting outbid at the last second because I tried to outbid someone else to screw them over.

Half of us left the table really mad but we all wanted to play it next time.

I only wish the player screens didn't feel quite so flimsy, I'd shell out a bit for a fancy version of those.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We got Gloomhaven back on the table for the first time in nearly a year - had the Spellweaver, Mindtheif, triforce, and Scoundrel. Not an especially powerful quartet, but definitely versatile.

Sure have been some good updates to the apps!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Codeacious posted:

The first time I played Keyflower, I went all in on setting up to get points from one of the winter tiles, and then ended up getting outbid at the last second because I tried to outbid someone else to screw them over.

Half of us left the table really mad but we all wanted to play it next time.

I only wish the player screens didn't feel quite so flimsy, I'd shell out a bit for a fancy version of those.

If you play with the Jennifer rules you don't need the screens anyway after the first round or so :colbert:

The Jennifer rules are once seen always seen. I introduced these to Richard Breese and he decided to include them in one of the expansions

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SettingSun posted:

Thanks, I was starting to check out what the expansions will offer.

Merchants is the better of the two, but it does soften the game by giving additional ways to use materials/earn VP. I can’t think of anybody who was enthusiastic about the additions from Farmers.

If you can find them, the earlier promo tiles are cool. The ones from the past couple years are becoming increasingly weird.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

If you play with the Jennifer rules you don't need the screens anyway after the first round or so :colbert:

The Jennifer rules are once seen always seen. I introduced these to Richard Breese and he decided to include them in one of the expansions

Still need it for any meeple draw tiles. Also, much like playing T&E with open scoring, playing with open screens turns Keyflower into an absolute slog in my experience. It made for an interesting change in the gameplay but not one I would repeat. A big part of the fun and tension is making a gamble on a big bid and hoping you can hold onto it, removing any mystery to color counts ruins that aspect on top of the AP it causes.

I would absolutely pay for some nice puzzle fit laser cut wood houses though, someone?!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

We got Gloomhaven back on the table for the first time in nearly a year - had the Spellweaver, Mindtheif, triforce, and Scoundrel. Not an especially powerful quartet, but definitely versatile.

Sure have been some good updates to the apps!
Drop on by the Gloomhaven thread, goon sir.

And yeah the apps are awesome. I wish we had more table time to play it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

admanb posted:

Is anyone actually doing the spacial orientation puzzle other than Uwe Rosenberg?

I have a feeling yes, but admittedly I am not recalling all of the recent games.

But primarily, it is Uwe that I am worried about. I like his games, but can't stand the spacial orientation stuff like Patchwork. I like Feast for Odin, but view the spacial orientation stuff as a necessary evil to play it, rather than a boon.

I just have enjoyed games like Agricola, Le Havre, Caverna, etc. tremendously, and hope that this direction does not continue, because it actually detracts from the games as far as I am concerned.

Admittedly, that is just a personal preference, but I have never been one to like to really mix up game mechanics/aptitudes needed to play games. I always used to joke (except not joke) about Advanced Squad Leader and having to manually eyeball line of sight, and how ridiculous that was, in a game that is purely mental, for some reason to have that specific eyesight/spacial aptitude test seemed silly.

For me, it just feels jarring - like having a board game about football have a component of it that requires you to go outside and throw a football through a tire swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know what aptitudes you really need though - it's not like the pieces are hard to fit together or anything like that, and in every case you have the option to simply pick up a piece and find out where it fits on your board, so I'm not sure why you need any kind of special spacial reasoning skills to do something like that.