Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
First time in 3 years I didn't make the cut. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So did SwiftUI just put a bunch of us out of jobs? (being facetious)

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I hope it puts the final nail in the coffin for storyboards. We switched entirely to UI in code a few years ago and never looked back, and this looks like it will make things even easier.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

NoDamage posted:

I hope it puts the final nail in the coffin for storyboards. We switched entirely to UI in code a few years ago and never looked back, and this looks like it will make things even easier.

Yeah, I'm stoked about SwiftUI. It does look like it kills the argument for ever using storyboards.

I just hope we can use it to support iOS 11+ - it'd be a shame if we have to wait until iOS 13 is the minimum supported version to use it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

NoDamage posted:

:pray:

Every new dev we bring in we have to explain that storyboards and nibs actually suck.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

I’m up for it

Down for maybe Wednesday?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Why do y’all hate yourselves? Doing layout in code is incredibly painful.
Edit: I don’t understand people’s opposition to IB besides the potential merge problems and that’s only because Xcode likes to sometimes give everything new ids when you open a xib.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 3, 2019

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

quote:

Find out how to simultaneously support devices and Simulator with the new XCFramework bundle type

A decade of manually lipoing together things into technically invalid bundles might finally have come to an end?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pulcinella posted:

Why do y’all hate yourselves? Doing layout in code is incredibly painful.
Edit: I don’t understand people’s opposition to IB besides the potential merge problems and that’s only because Xcode likes to sometimes give everything new ids when you open a xib.

Code review is impossible. It isn't sometimes that xcode gives you a new id.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I guess there’s now a way to inject stuff into storyboarded view controllers at init, so that’s one big annoyance gone?

Also, Combine.framework, hello. Didn’t see that coming.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I guess there’s now a way to inject stuff into storyboarded view controllers at init

That's pretty great, absolutely a huge pain of storyboards/xibs!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How stable are the MacOS betas? I want to mess around with the SwiftUI tutorial but view preview is only available on 10.15

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Glimm posted:

Yeah, I'm stoked about SwiftUI. It does look like it kills the argument for ever using storyboards.

I just hope we can use it to support iOS 11+ - it'd be a shame if we have to wait until iOS 13 is the minimum supported version to use it.

It’s an OS framework, way too integrated to be back-deployable; you’ll need the latest OS.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

rjmccall posted:

It’s an OS framework, way too integrated to be back-deployable; you’ll need the latest OS.

Does this work with cells that aren’t the same size?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’m not a deep expert in the framework, but yes, I believe horizontal and vertical stacks have (configurable) alignment rules for items that don’t match in size.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dirk Pitt posted:

Down for maybe Wednesday?

It’d have to be before lunch or after 4PM for me, I’m working lots of labs.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

It’d have to be before lunch or after 4PM for me, I’m working lots of labs.

After 4 is cool. If you have energy 😅. Pre lunch beer does not sound super ideal. But I’m flexible

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
SwiftUI looks like language/uikit-integrated React. Not bad. I’m curious what trade offs it inherited from that pattern - that is to say, how it handles stateful/nonkeyframed animations or frequent state changes.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
So Cafe Stritch isn’t open Monday or Tuesday, but we could still meet up somewhere after the conference tonight for drinks, food, whatever.

SOFA Market is always good, and it has The Fountainhead, the Bay Area’s best Ayn Rand themed bar.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 4, 2019

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

SwiftUI looks like language/uikit-integrated React. Not bad. I’m curious what trade offs it inherited from that pattern - that is to say, how it handles stateful/nonkeyframed animations or frequent state changes.

I saw on Twitter one of the Apple engineers said they pulled inspiration from React. I can’t don’t it now because there have been a million Tweets since then.

It’s kind of incredible. I thought Marzipan/Catalyst would be the big thing this year and now it already seems like Catalyst is just a temporary stopgap. The future isn’t Appkit, UIkit, or even UIkit on the Mac (catalyst). The future is SwiftUI everywhere. SwiftUI doesn’t utilize auto layout and there are no auto layout sessions this year.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Everything old is new again I guess, because 30 years ago we had UI tools that generated code and puked it into your source files and we intermixed app logic with UI layout and those were considered the bad old days that I had hoped were gone forever.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Makes total sense. I'm sad about it though - unlikely I'll be able to ship apps using this at work until iOS 14 is released / live for a few months.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Family Values posted:

Everything old is new again I guess, because 30 years ago we had UI tools that generated code and puked it into your source files and we intermixed app logic with UI layout and those were considered the bad old days that I had hoped were gone forever.

Those tools also encouraged people to double-click a control to write “the code behind it.”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I strongly recommend reading through the tutorial on the developer site, this kind of issue was very carefully considered in the design of Swift UI and how you use it to build views and whole applications.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

KidDynamite posted:

How stable are the MacOS betas? I want to mess around with the SwiftUI tutorial but view preview is only available on 10.15

Don't install it on your only machine.

They're totally fine 95% of the time but that last 5% is a big problem.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The SwiftUI tutorial is fantastic, it’s really impressive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokeyman posted:

The SwiftUI tutorial is fantastic, it’s really impressive.

Yeah, I've just been flipping through it and the happy path at least looks p cool. Shame I'll never get to use it since all our apps have to support old iOS versions, but still.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there an easy way to get access to the macOS beta without ponying up for the dev program?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I assume there will be a public beta in a month or so.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I've dealing with a newborn baby and not having had a chance to get deep in this but can someone tldr how development works now for phone vs pad? Can you still make universal apps, or do you have to choose for iOS vs iPadOS ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Universal apps are still a thing.

In fact, there’s a new checkbox in Xcode: iPhone & iPod touch, iPad, and Mac.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

(Eagerly awaiting the Awful for Mac beta.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I assume there will be a public beta in a month or so.

It was announced that Public Beta is in July.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
This WWDC is definitely quite exciting! Gonna be picking up a new Macmini for my own home dev to play around with things :)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

So how do I report bugs in the new feedback tool?

I feel like rolling out a new bug reporter the day WWDC starts may not have been the best choice.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’m not sure what the question is? Send feedback, it becomes a Radar.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Unless it's just a display problem on the public UI side, it actually just ignores the contents of the text boxes and creates an empty issue. FB6115674 is an example of one where I filled out all the fields and it appears to have ignored everything except for the attachment (I then reposted the description as a comment and that worked but I have no idea if it'll get categorized correctly or what).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The other one I tried to file appears to just not exist at all any more.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So currently Xcode mentions that the opaque result types aren't available and fail at runtime:

quote:

Declarations with some Protocol return types require the Swift 5.1 runtime in iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6, or tvOS 13, but the Swift compiler doesn’t enforce this. Running an app that uses some return types on previous operating system versions might crash at runtime, either because of missing swift_getOpaqueTypeMetadata symbols, or because of a failure to demangle a string that contains the substring “Qo_”. (50731151)

Workaround: Only deploy binaries that use some return types to iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6, and tvOS 13. Avoid them in code that must run on previous operating system versions.

Is the fix for this going to be backporting that part of the runtime or is it going to be "don't use this on older versions"? :ohdear: I know this got merged and it seems to offer the ability to deploy runtime shims, but it's unclear if Apple will allow it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think we’re still deciding how we want to handle it.