Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altair400
Apr 16, 2019

I CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKES THE PEOPLES FALL DOWN!
Gex64 was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

it's sad because there's an ton of worldbuilding in bangkok, and in that respect it's kind of a standout. Just look at all the detail baked into Jordan Cross and Ken Morgan, most of which is only exposited in bits and pieces as you listen in on their every conversation and murder them in every possible way

And they made a song or two specifically for it too. (and funny thing is that it's implied that's 47's drumming on one of the posthumous tracks)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stan Halen posted:

Gex64 was a good game.

Mascot character games aren't all bad. Mr. Nutz was really good on the SNES at least, as a simple atmospheric platformer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

Mascot character games aren't all bad. Mr. Nutz was really good on the SNES at least, as a simple atmospheric platformer.

Reminds me of what I was gonna say about Mystic Quest; games specifically made as 'baby's first x' are usually actually pretty good because they're often made with a lot more care and coherent design goals than most games are, with the idea that they should be easy to play and just interesting enough to keep them amused the whole way without getting them stuck. (compared to the old-school design sensibility holdover from arcade games where the difficulty had to go up a cliff at some point to keep kids from beating it in one rental period)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poverty goat posted:

e: lots of cool stuff coming up in june

I get that it's all free but still laughed at UNLOCK: BLUEBERRY MUFFIN as a distillation of What's Wrong With Videogames Today

Hitman wiki posted:

Cross craves approval, yet stubbornly refuses to let others guide him or tell him what to do. Everything he does is about emancipation from his cold and manipulative patriarch father - about building an empire of his own. Not surprisingly, some of his main lyrical themes are about captivity and rebellion - lashing out against the establishment and the upper class. His friends like to joke that Jordan is "like Bruce Wayne, only he wishes his dad had been shot".
:laffo:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

I get that it's all free but still laughed at UNLOCK: BLUEBERRY MUFFIN as a distillation of What's Wrong With Videogames Today

hmm yes a funny gimmick weapon in the funny gimmick weapon game, this is surely what is wrong with video games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Some levels have muffins that you can use, unlocking the muffin allows you to bring the muffin to any mission in your inventory. To unlock the muffin you have to complete some silly challenges in the game (such as knocking 5 people unconscious with muffins). They trickle silly content like this out for free all year and it's fun but theres no necessary or game breaking gear gated behind it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Cool Spot was pretty good for a 7UP game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I have a very hazy memory of playing a McDonalds themed NES game at a friends house once where you could run on the ceiling. Halp

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

veni veni veni posted:

Cool Spot was pretty good for a 7UP game.

7 up had a different mascot here but the game was still popular even though I remember nothing about it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given Bangkok is often one of the most hated missions. (too linear, only one security room that's a pita to get into) But it has some great kills. Especially getting one of your targets to kill the other in extremely ironic fashion.

wait how do you set this up? something with the recording I'm guessing?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Poker Night at the Inventory is probably the worst game I've ever played because one of the characters (that loss comic guy) is literal poo poo and they didn't bother to write a single funny line for any of the other characters. Not that it matters because loss guy would just garfield all the humour out of it anyway. So it's just a really slow poker game with Good Mythical Morning -level banter that keeps repeating.

Poker Night at the Inventory 2 is OK.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Poker Night at the Inventory is probably the worst game I've ever played because one of the characters (that loss comic guy) is literal poo poo and they didn't bother to write a single funny line for any of the other characters. Not that it matters because loss guy would just garfield all the humour out of it anyway. So it's just a really slow poker game with Good Mythical Morning -level banter that keeps repeating.

it's a decent poker game if you turn the dialogue to "sparse" and then mute it lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Stan Halen posted:

Gex64 was a good game.

I preferred Noone Can Stop Mr. Domino!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing a single player poker game sounds awful

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

it's a decent poker game if you turn the dialogue to "sparse" and then mute it lol

It's still slow as gently caress compared to a no-frills game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In terms of card games you're supposed to play by yourself, I remember Faerie Solitaire being a pretty good timesink.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I preferred Noone Can Stop Mr. Domino!

Describing No one can stop mr. Domino! Makes you sound insane.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

!Klams posted:

Describing No one can stop mr. Domino! Makes you sound insane.

My friend refused to describe it in terms more specific than "dude, No one can stop Mr. Domino" and I was probably better off for it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jerry Cotton posted:

the loss comic guy does not have a character in poker night at the inventory

you are thinking of the raping dickwolves guy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Well gently caress me. Doesn't change anything though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Playing a single player poker game sounds awful

RDR's is good.

I hated how there wasn't a high stakes game in 2 :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

wait how do you set this up? something with the recording I'm guessing?

Disguise as the exterminator and evacuate the west building

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

skooma512 posted:

RDR's is good.

The card games are legit the only thing fun about RDR2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you sure you like video games Bradzilla?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

poisonpill posted:

I have a very hazy memory of playing a McDonalds themed NES game at a friends house once where you could run on the ceiling. Halp

MC Kids. Some might say the best fast food themed video game of all time

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Are you sure you like video games Bradzilla?

I genuinely don't know how a lot of adults find AAA games fun. They're slow, clunky, and take forever to get going. They're like my sex drive only people line up to pay for the experience.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i feel like those are also usually the people with like 1000 hours in some rogue-like though, which is really rough stuff imo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

his character still sucks balls though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

skooma512 posted:

RDR's is good.

Yeah having poker in a RDR2 style game would be a fun engaging novelty for around 10 seconds

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Best poker minigame was the one in lufia 2

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magnitogorsk. posted:

MC Kids. Some might say the best fast food themed video game of all time

I played this a million times as a kid, there was a sweet moon level

iirc it wasn't trying to sell you burgers or anything, it was just a weird platformer that happened to have a bunch of McDonalds characters in it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still get shivers down my spine when I think about those burger king games.

Although it was kind of nuts back then that they released 360 games for $4 each. Seemed like a crazy deal but gently caress playing a game as that revolting Burger King mascot.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
How the actual gently caress is God of War 2 running on the Vita? Holy poo poo.

The frame rate drops here and there, but it's pretty cool.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Reloading guns is boring. I want to press down the trigger at the start of a game and release it at the end. Don't make me take a break from killing every 5 seconds. Make the guns magic.

Like when you see kids playing war you can see who the nerds are. They're the ones who stop to reload.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres nothing intrinsically wrong with reloading, Dooms super shotgun for instance has a reload, but theres no loving reason to have reloading and have your character able to carry 600 bullets in a game where every magazine has 30 and every enemy dies in 2 or 3 shots. One or the other.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Reloading is a mechanic. It adds a layer of strategy to the mindless bullethosing

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Mechanic or no, only one of these guys is having fun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reloading is acceptable if the sound effects for it are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Theres nothing intrinsically wrong with reloading, Dooms super shotgun for instance has a reload, but theres no loving reason to have reloading and have your character able to carry 600 bullets in a game where every magazine has 30 and every enemy dies in 2 or 3 shots. One or the other.

Doom doesn't have a super shotgun.