Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

eames posted:

That’s probably off by the order of one magnitude for a maxed out spec.

At current imac ram upgrade rates ($1000/64gb) you'll get 1.5tb out of the box for a bit over $23,000.

e: for the ram upgrade alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

No. Pixar is not enough to even make back 1% of the R&D cost of this.

Really, I don't know how this makes money by itself, unless the margins are >100%, which they very well may be. Tons of work sunk into this, and they're not going to sell millions of them.

"like" Is the operative word there. I think you missed it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah "like" is the missing keyword there. I know several ad agencies in this region alone who will drop an unnatural amount of cash on these things.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

selling my car to buy a monitor

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What will you sell to buy the stand?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the old cheesegrater is still more of a looker but at least the handles won't cut into your skin with this one

at that price tho i think i'll just buy the mini x

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I'm a video editor. I have an iMac Pro at work and one of those fancy $43,000 OLED broadcast monitors they mentioned. But I still have and use my 2008 Mac Pro at home. I work from home some times just to avoid a trip to the office, but also do personal projects at home. The computer has been getting me by just fine so far.

Anyway, I spent $3,000 on my 2008 Mac Pro, plus $1,000 for the LED Apple Cinema Display. Over the years I have gradually added more RAM, a SSD for my primary boot drive, a USB 3.0 card, plenty of internal hard drive upgrades, and an Nvidia GFX card that I swap in occasionally for some projects (it makes the whole thing incredibly unstable). The ability to easily make all these changes has helped my computer last 11 years, making it the best computer purchase I have ever made. I think my wife has spent more on laptops over the years than I have on my whole setup.

All this stuff they announced pretty much hit all the right notes. Like it was time to make an upgrade to a computer that was going to get me through the next 12 years. I'm stuck in El Capitan, Adobe CC is no longer compatible with my OS as of this year to have the latest software, and I'm starting to see software that is not compatible either.

But that price tag... starting at $6,000? Without a monitor? I am a professional, but this is like.... Ultra Professional. I was hoping for a starting configuration to be $3,000 to $4,000. I know that I am not the type of professional that needs to see instant color corrections to 8K footage in motion and to have things render instantly. But I was hoping for a modular Mac that was for a semi-pro kind of. Something like what I had that let me gradually make upgrades over time to keep it running and make me happy.

I've been waiting for this announcement to decide what I want to do with my hardware at home, now I don't know what I want to do. Nothing else is modular, and the iMac Pro even seems a bit overkill for what I do at home. I can be a patient man for renders when it comes to personal projects, which is the one place where I love the iMac Pro at work.

I am honestly wondering if I should just get a Mac Mini and stick all my hard drives in an external chassis, throw my LED Cinema Display on it, and move on from this hellscape of waiting on Mac hardware updates. I just need to realize that I'll feel the need to replace it in 4-5 years probably

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

What will you sell to buy the stand?

I'm gonna spend $200 on the VESA mount instead

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

So I'm a video editor. :words:

I'm stuck in El Capitan, Adobe CC is no longer compatible with my OS as of this year to have the latest software, and I'm starting to see software that is not compatible either.

Honestly, if you got a RX560 and threw it into your system, it would work fine and would have native support. Then you could upgrade to 10.14.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Astro7x posted:

I am honestly wondering if I should just get a Mac Mini and stick all my hard drives in an external chassis, throw my LED Cinema Display on it, and move on from this hellscape of waiting on Mac hardware updates. I just need to realize that I'll feel the need to replace it in 4-5 years probably

It's this. The Mac Mini rules

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Honestly, if you got a RX560 and threw it into your system, it would work fine and would have native support. Then you could upgrade to 10.14.

Or maybe this they probably know better lol

eames
May 9, 2009

Has anybody seen power consumption figures for the monitor? They mentioned he back of the monitor acting as a heatsink, so it probably won’t be very efficient. I have a feeling this thing will draw >250W in HDR mode, which could get annoying in summer with multiple monitors in the room.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

eames posted:

Has anybody seen power consumption figures for the monitor? They mentioned he back of the monitor acting as a heatsink, so it probably won’t be very efficient. I have a feeling this thing will draw >250W in HDR mode, which could get annoying in summer with multiple monitors in the room.

The PCB cut out during the press video for the monitor showed a huge finned heatsink and a blower style fan mounted to it, similar to the iMac's cooling system -- i'm assuming the same since reference monitors four times the thickness with way way way less peak brightness sound like vacuums at times.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

eames posted:

I can't see any wattage but there's a disclaimer on the product page that states that it can only maintain peak brightness "In temperatures less than 25° C".

It's rad that they're making a monitor so bright it creates temperature issues but set expectations accordingly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can't believe they made it that upgradeable/configurable. Like, I had hoped, but I didn't actually think they'd do it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So 32" iMac Pro should be announced any day now right

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I like the new design and am willing to pay somewhat of an Apple Tax (even though we don't use Macs in our production environment) but $6k for 16 gigs of RAM, a frickin' RX 580 Pro and 256 gigs SSD is like some serious bullshit. At this point it just seems like some sort of sidebet to see what they can get away with.

edit: That monitor is super sexy though

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 3, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder how long it will take for these to start showing up on the refurb store. 15% off of a $18,000 system would be pretty spicy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whoa I missed that Apple TV now supports Xbox and PS4 controllers for games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Microcenter was offering $1,000 off the base $5,000 iMac Pro at one point, and it was very tempting...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The original cheesegrater had a mid-range model that sold for $2499, per Wikipedia. In 2006 dollars, that's ~3100 today. So the new Mac Pro starts at twice that. I wonder if the $6k base model price is missing the point of an upgradeable computer a bit.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

that monitor is super bizaare. only 10bit color depth and p3 support (no rec.2020). you can get a proper reference monitor for about the same price (tho in 4k, not 6k). i guess they're targetting people who care more about pixel density than color accuracy?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think Apple cares about offering an upgradable computer to the prosumer range.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mu Zeta posted:

Whoa I missed that Apple TV now supports Xbox and PS4 controllers for games.

That support's extended to iOS and iPadOS too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pivo posted:

The original cheesegrater had a mid-range model that sold for $2499, per Wikipedia. In 2006 dollars, that's ~3100 today. So the new Mac Pro starts at twice that. I wonder if the $6k base model price is missing the point of an upgradeable computer a bit.

I guess that was my whole point. There is no middle ground here. Going back to my personal experience, was hoping for a computer I could upgrade over time rather than just start out with something that is overkill. Guess that means what I really want is a PC that runs MacOS

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

That support's extended to iOS and iPadOS too.

Wait what? At the OS level? Cause drat my iPad Pro could become a cool PlayStation remote device if so...screen controls suck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

I don't think Apple cares about offering an upgradable computer to the prosumer range.

Can’t you connect egpus and thunderbolt drive boxes to Mac Minis and iMacs? It’s not as attractive and elegant as an all in one tower but it’s there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

squirrelzipper posted:

Wait what? At the OS level? Cause drat my iPad Pro could become a cool PlayStation remote device if so...screen controls suck.

Yep. Listed under game controllers. https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/

Presumably PS Remote play will take advantage of this. along with Steam Link adding more controller support.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Xbox Live streaming service is supposed to come to iOS as well. Microsoft could just stop making consoles or just make cheap streaming boxes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Xbox Live streaming service is supposed to come to iOS as well. Microsoft could just stop making consoles or just make cheap streaming boxes.

The latter is supposedly part of the plan. The $250(lol) diskless XboneS is probably a teaser of what’ll ultimately end up living on XCloud.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yeast posted:

I can't believe they made it that upgradeable/configurable. Like, I had hoped, but I didn't actually think they'd do it.

Me neither, I was all set to be disappointed yet again.

Overall the best WWDC I've seen in years though.

I can't wait to see what a maxed out, fully configured Mac Pro will be, with 6 Pro Display XDRs for it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/1135655129397358592
https://mobile.twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/1135668657793593344

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm just lolling at all the comments from people who bitched for years about needing a 'pro' machine, then were upset that apple made a pro machine that starts at $6k and needs probably $10k into it to really shine

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NeuralSpark posted:

I don't understand why people don't realize that Nvidia could just publish unsigned drivers that you have to turn SIP off to install. The hackintosh folks have been doing this for years. Their "waaa Apple won't let us" is purely posturing.

I seem to recall that the next version of macOS, SIP will be mandatory.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

I guess that was my whole point. There is no middle ground here. Going back to my personal experience, was hoping for a computer I could upgrade over time rather than just start out with something that is overkill. Guess that means what I really want is a PC that runs MacOS

Well the frustrating point to me is that you aren't even starting with something that's overkill. It's weak. Those are really weak specs for $6k. Instead you are essentially paying for potentiality. It's dumb. You're overpaying for the idea that you can someday overpay some more.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I want to know what the Afterburner's powered by...Apple's own verbiage calls it an "programmable ASIC". They straight up stick a FPGA accelerator in there? Or are they using the term weirdly and it's another GPU in there for general-purpose acceleration?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also what percentage of these are going to be "professor had to use up all the grant money"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I know a couple of studios I shoot in that are going to be pretty happy they can get rid of their trolleys for their Mac Pro towers now.

I chuckled when I saw they actually made a caster option. Totally out of left field.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

movax posted:

I want to know what the Afterburner's powered by...Apple's own verbiage calls it an "programmable ASIC". They straight up stick a FPGA accelerator in there? Or are they using the term weirdly and it's another GPU in there for general-purpose acceleration?

dude on the stage said it's a fpga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

dude on the stage said it's a fpga

Ahhh my keynote liveblog I was reading didn’t include that part. Wonder if it’s Altera or Xilinx.