Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I watched the 36 Chambers trilogy this week. The second one is my favorite but I really love the training in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As an intro to John Wick 3 I rewatched Brotherhood of the Wolf, the greatest historical costume kung fu political conspiracy monster movie ever made with Mark Dacascos. And goddamn it's just as awesome as ever with Dacascos, Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci in their prime.

One thing that susprised me was how nothing at all was shown to prepare you for mild mannered naturalist De Fronsac going full John Wick after Mani dies. Shooting guys in the face with flame arrows, kicking people through floors and walls and even scalping someone to drive the point that they really, really should not have killed his friend. It's a top 5 all time revenge rampages entry.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Mani's fight in the rain is really cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Brotherhood of the Wolf available streaming anywhere? I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to rent it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Brotherhood of the Wolf had those dope costumes that basically gave Bloodborne about 40% of it's aesthetic, which is cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Never saw Brotherhood of the Wolf until just today. What an absolute loving blast. Saw the director's cut too, one of those long, immersive films that you just sink in to and let it take you for a ride. So awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If this is the film I'm thinking of, it also has one of the greatest scene transitions of all time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

If this is the film I'm thinking of, it also has one of the greatest scene transitions of all time.

The boob turning into a snowy landscape? Yeah, that's amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf had those dope costumes that basically gave Bloodborne about 40% of it's aesthetic, which is cool.

In turn, they were a reference to 'Once Upon a Time in the West'

Narzack posted:

Mani's fight in the rain is really cool.

It is, and they make the rain look seriously heavy. Unsurprisingly, it has the same cinematographer as John Wick

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Awesome! I'm all jacked up to rewatch it now. I'll try to get the wife to join in. I looked up the director, and he also did Crying Freeman(Dacascos) and Silent Hill, which I also liked.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Narzack posted:

I looked up the director, and he also did Crying Freeman(Dacascos)

lol a post from ages back

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I watched the Crying Freeman live-action film last night and this bit made me lmao; gets out of a full three-piece suit, tie and shoes in eight seconds

Reminded me of:

Action indeed :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 4, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Awesome! I'm all jacked up to rewatch it now. I'll try to get the wife to join in. I looked up the director, and he also did Crying Freeman(Dacascos) and Silent Hill, which I also liked.

His next film is a Corto Maltese adaptation which I am absolutely jazzed for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched an ugly desaturated modern action movie with no squibs and I had to watch something else to detoxify my soul. Raiders of the Lost Ark is still such an amazing movie. Except for the creepy backstory between Marion and Indy.

God I wish they still melted people's faces in modern movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

In turn, they were a reference to 'Once Upon a Time in the West'

I can't remember the scene, and I love that movie! Can you hook me up?

Lurdiak posted:

I watched an ugly desaturated modern action movie with no squibs and I had to watch something else to detoxify my soul. Raiders of the Lost Ark is still such an amazing movie. Except for the creepy backstory between Marion and Indy.

They actually made it less creepy! In the original script meetings she was explicitly 15 during their "romance". That was the age George was pushing for.

In the movie it's left a bit ambiguous (she describes herself as a "child" but there have been hard years between that time and the movie's present)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 4, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They actually made it less creepy! In the original script meetings she was explicitly 15 during their "romance". That was the age George was pushing for.

In the movie it's left a bit ambiguous (she describes herself as a "child" but there have been hard years between that time and the movie's present)

Actually it was 12 in the initial meeting. :barf: And knowing that sure makes the scene read grosser.

The final script doesn't mention her age, but Karen Allen played it as if she'd been 15, which is still very very gross, even making allowances for the period.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh gently caress that's suuuuuper gross.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
In the million times I watched that movie when I was younger, that scene never stood out to me. I always just interpreted she meant she was naive or whatever. Or maybe like a junior in high school and a sophomore or freshman in college.

But, yeah, gently caress were you thinking, George?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

I am here to support this statement

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Absolutely loving bonkers that they wouldn't just take that part out of the script. George Lucas sucks and always has and has only succeeded because of the people around him. He's the David Cage of movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Narzack posted:

In the million times I watched that movie when I was younger, that scene never stood out to me. I always just interpreted she meant she was naive or whatever. Or maybe like a junior in high school and a sophomore or freshman in college.

But, yeah, gently caress were you thinking, George?

If you don't know the background of the script meeting it just reads as "she was in her late teens and he was in his late twenties" and the relative age of the actors fit that.

If you guys don't know they originally had the Medallion in two pieces, one half with Marion and one half in Shanghai and Indy infiltrated a museum/nightclub (depending on which version of the script you're reading) to get it - they cut the that scene out and re-used some of the the action beats from it for the beginning of Temple of Doom.

Also in one version there were samurai guards (in Shanghai, lol) and Indy flicked his whip around the dude's forearm and neck and made him slice his own throat with his katana. Pretty boss.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I recently discovered Stone Cold (1991). What an absolute blast! It also allows for some interesting cross-over potential with the "you forget to say please" dude from Terminator 2.

The entire thing is on YouTube. Lance Henriksen is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-pRNfp8cA

midge fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 4, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think you'll enjoy this:

http://outlawvern.com/2018/11/07/strictly-bozness-the-fiery-majesty-of-stone-cold/

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

midge posted:

I recently discovered Stone Cold (1991). What an absolute blast! It also allows for some interesting cross-over potential with the "you forget to say please" dude from Terminator 2.

The entire thing is on YouTube. Lance Henriksen is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-pRNfp8cA

Stone Cold is the greatest movie of all time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

If you don't know the background of the script meeting it just reads as "she was in her late teens and he was in his late twenties" and the relative age of the actors fit that.

Yeah, so it never was a thing until much later when we got the original idea behind it.

And yeah, dude, Stone Cold rules. I saw a Rifftrax of it on Prime last year. So good, and that last bloodbath in the courthouse cracks me up

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Stone Cold is the greatest movie of all time.

The opening grocery store shootout is great, and Lance Henricksen and William Forsythe are goddamn amazing in it. That movie is so crazy.

Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Since I'm clearly in good company here. Can we share some favorite scenes? I absolutely love Raw Deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwGkzuGr2Q

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ruddiger posted:

The opening grocery store shootout is great, and Lance Henricksen and William Forsythe are goddamn amazing in it. That movie is so crazy.

Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!

The most amazing thing about Stone Cold is the protagonist completely fails in his mission. He doesn't get the Brotherhood arrested, he lets them murder the prime witness and massacre the DA as well as the state supreme court and a ton of random civilians, yet he gets a rock and roll backed march out of the courthouse like he's a badass instead of a fuckup!

Stone Cold is also one of the gayest movies of all time. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's just so loaded with subtext that is at odds with the text of the film. The Boz is able to infiltrate the Brotherhood because one of the members, Gut, has a crush on him, and William Forsythe's character spends the whole movie jealous that the Boz has taken over all of Lance Henriksen's affections.

Also features some great bare chested wrestling by men with great hair.

https://gfycat.com/speedycrisphawk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lurdiak posted:

Actually it was 12 in the initial meeting. :barf: And knowing that sure makes the scene read grosser.

The final script doesn't mention her age, but Karen Allen played it as if she'd been 15, which is still very very gross, even making allowances for the period.

also for this thread, if you don't already follow:

https://martialartsactionclub.tumblr.com/archive
https://theactioneer.tumblr.com/archive
https://vhs-ninja.tumblr.com/archive

they regularly post gifs etc from the less-well known end of the Action market, I've been switched on to some classics I might have missed otherwise.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Oh, just the dusters, nothing particularly fancy or elaborate.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is great, though. It was one of the first movies that made me pay attention to cinematography. When they find the first victim of the beast, they pull this amazing trick where the body looks like a watercolor painting, but the people don't, so you've got these real people interacting with a painting. It's a stunning scene, and the film is full of them.

SimonCat posted:

The most amazing thing about Stone Cold is the protagonist completely fails in his mission. He doesn't get the Brotherhood arrested, he lets them murder the prime witness and massacre the DA as well as the state supreme court and a ton of random civilians, yet he gets a rock and roll backed march out of the courthouse like he's a badass instead of a fuckup!

Stone Cold is also one of the gayest movies of all time. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's just so loaded with subtext that is at odds with the text of the film. The Boz is able to infiltrate the Brotherhood because one of the members, Gut, has a crush on him, and William Forsythe's character spends the whole movie jealous that the Boz has taken over all of Lance Henriksen's affections.

Also features some great bare chested wrestling by men with great hair.

https://gfycat.com/speedycrisphawk

The brief film career of Bryan Bosworth is an interesting little phenomenon. There's also a very good and quite touching 30 for 30 documentary on him that i would strongly recommend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Narzack posted:

Yeah, so it never was a thing until much later when we got the original idea behind it.

I don't know how anyone in 2019 could look at that conversation and not imagine something creepy went down between them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DAT MULLET THO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL47m1mQWZQ

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know how anyone in 2019 could look at that conversation and not imagine something creepy went down between them.

It's perfectly fine until you know about the original intention. I've had hours of conversations IRL with people about Raiders and it has literally never come up, ever. By far the most destructive thing is the stupid Big Bang Theory "Indy doesn't matter" poo poo, which starts a conversation in which I take great joy in absolutely slamming people who say that stupid poo poo. Yes it makes me an absolute neckbeard about it, and Raiders is worth it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Headshot is a good movie, I think this Iko Uwais kid has some talent!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Headshot is a good movie, I think this Iko Uwais kid has some talent!

Have you seen The Night Comes for Us?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

That movie has some gnarly poo poo in it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

I have! The fights are better in that, but I think the story’s better in Headshot. Both are really good, brutal times at the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That movie has some gnarly poo poo in it.

So does Headshot, a guy gets stabbed in the eye with a shell casing and a dude gets a bunch of typewriter pieces embedded in his hand.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Night Comes For Us has White Boy Bobby, thereby putting it slightly ahead of Headshot imo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Night Comes For Us is the wilder and thus more entertaining movie, but there's nothing wrong with Headshot if gory action is your jam

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
White Boy Bobby is a legend!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Night Comes For Us has White Boy Bobby, thereby putting it slightly ahead of Headshot imo

Pretty the actor who played White Boy Bobby is the dude who gets hit with a typewriter in Headshot, I got hype when he showed up.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Night Comes For Us is the wilder and thus more entertaining movie, but there's nothing wrong with Headshot if gory action is your jam

The Night Comes For Us hits a major second-act slump, Headshot’s story never dulls, simple as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pretty the actor who played White Boy Bobby is the dude who gets hit with a typewriter in Headshot, I got hype when he showed up.

He's also the guy in The Raid 2 who Rama fights in the prison riot and then is executed along with a bunch of his buddies when Uco and Bangun have that first meeting where they join forces.