Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You also want to go to the bank right away in a safeguard mission because if even a single minion gets away with some money it will immediately kick you out of the instance before you can look for side missions. Mayhems let you do whatever you want I'm whatever order until time runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that the "blow poo poo up for bonus time" thing only works before you rob the bank.

But it's easiest to remember: Heroes do the bank first, Villains do the bank last.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I genuinely don't get why they don't start you off at the bank in Safeguards

Having newbies fumble and fail them because they don't realise you have to zip *straight* to the bank, no matter how far away it is, is pretty kludgy design

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The way the banks work, not that the game explains this, is that the robbery doesn't start until you get close enough (250 feet originally, 50 in Homecoming), or after five minutes have passed since someone entered the mission. So while there isn't time to go dicking around all over the map, there is enough time to wait for everyone to get in the drat mission and get their poo poo set up.

If you trigger the bank robbery by charging towards it before everyone (or at least enough people) are ready, you can fail it because the two or three people that drip in get their poo poo wrecked, and then the bank robbers escape because nobody's in position to stop them.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
IMO, the best way to level Blueside is to run DFB until 8-10, and then start running Task Forces with other people. You can easily make it to 50 without ever running solo if you want. I do a mix of solo and team play, but teaming is the game's primary(and best) focus.

Villain Mayhem Missions are waaaay better than the Hero bank missions. In the Villain version, you add time to the clock by blowing up almost literally everything on the street: cars, payphones, parking meters, etc. They're also harder. If you die, you wake up in jail and have to fight our way out.

Make sure that you do these TFs at some point in your toon's career, so you can get the accolade that grants a permanent +5% health:
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Task_Force_Commander_Badge

If you get the exploration badge from every Mayhem Mission, you get a permanent +5% health:
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Invader_Badge

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Did they ever add a way to get into specific mayhem / safeguard missions or are you still reliant on somebody's purpose built level 5 lowbie to get you into the Atlas Park map if you aren't focusing on getting them all yourself?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 3, 2019

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Safeguards are terrible in many ways. They're the only content in the game that you're supposed to experience after the Mission Complete pops up. Why bother staying in a completed mission to stomp bad guys when you could just get another radio mission and move on with your life?

The devs just couldn't think around making them reverse Mayhem missions, including making them the reverse of fun.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

MechaCrash posted:

The way the banks work, not that the game explains this, is that the robbery doesn't start until you get close enough (250 feet originally, 50 in Homecoming), or after five minutes have passed since someone entered the mission. So while there isn't time to go dicking around all over the map, there is enough time to wait for everyone to get in the drat mission and get their poo poo set up.

If you trigger the bank robbery by charging towards it before everyone (or at least enough people) are ready, you can fail it because the two or three people that drip in get their poo poo wrecked, and then the bank robbers escape because nobody's in position to stop them.

Huh, I didn't know that. It always seemed like "THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED" basically triggered immediately and you had to gun for it or fail. It might be the 250 ft. radius in live doing that, though

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

Did they ever add a way to get into specific mayhem / safeguard missions or are you still reliant on somebody's purpose built level 5 lowbie to get you into the Atlas Park map if you aren't focusing on getting them all yourself?

Yes. If you have the badge for dropping 25 NPC heroes or villains, between safeguards/mayhems and tips, you can talk to a contact and select where to go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Merilan posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. It always seemed like "THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED" basically triggered immediately and you had to gun for it or fail. It might be the 250 ft. radius in live doing that, though

Yeah on Homecoming Safeguard missions are pretty much fine. The robbery doesn’t start til you get pretty close so they’re not ridiculously punishing like they were on live.

Some of the Safefuard mission maps, like Talos I wanna say, start you off already within 250 yds.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MechaCrash posted:

A dude posted:

The former is generally true, but sometimes it glitches and the robbery starts right away, so you're hosed if you don't get to the bank super fast.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Safeguards are so boring. They're just a chore to get out of the way. I actually had no idea there was extra stuff to do, since I always quit the moment the villain has been uppercutted the requisite number of times.

Mayhems on the other hand are always something to look forward to. They're a glorious orgy of exploding bus stops and ragdolling cops.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MechaCrash posted:

The true but useless answer is "do whatever you find fun." But since you seem to be asking for some direction (which is distinct from speed), here's some options.

On the Going Rogue/Praetoria side of things, it's pretty much storyline missions. And maybe a few events that happen on the map at certain times. Don't have to worry about a lot of things until when you leave.

It's a first time going through that stuff for me though and I'm pretty sure I quit CoH back in the day at 18 as a villain so uh, I only know what I've seen so far :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Glazius posted:

Yes. If you have the badge for dropping 25 NPC heroes or villains, between safeguards/mayhems and tips, you can talk to a contact and select where to go.

Thanks, that isn't too bad.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

tooterfish posted:

They're not more valuable in longer recharge powers, they're exactly as valuable. Although with long recharge you can control when they trigger to some extent, which is handy for certain things (gaussian's build up for example).

Global recharge isn't factored into the proc calculations, which is what lets you cheat them so much. Powers with longer base recharges would see a lot more benefit that way, since they're getting more of a "tangible" reduction in recharge time. It's why the Gaussian's example is great for Build Up, since you're cheating the 1 PPM into a power that fires every 30 seconds.

Also, to look at the original question, AOEs also aren't a bad choice, but it can vary a lot based on the proc.

To take a pair of examples for Foot Stomp, with 3 recharge IOs (99% recharge) shoved into it. This gives it a 10s recharge time, and with a fair amount of global recharge, you can get it to 5s.

Force Feedback +Recharge has a proc rate of 2 PPM, which gives it a 12% proc chance per target. Against 10 targets, odds are it fires once, which is fine since it can't stack with itself.

Obliteration's damage proc has 3.5 PPM, giving it a 21% proc chance per target. Against 10 targets, odds are it fires twice. That's 140~ extra damage per cast, but in a mass AOE scenario you probably won't notice it much.

In any case, procs work decently in AOE powers, assuming you're hitting as many dudes as they allow you to. Having to come up with them against single targets will penalize your chances pretty heavily, though. To reuse the Force Feedback in Foot Stomp comparison, the same slotting in Knockout Blow would get you a 50% chance to proc it, versus that 12% from Foot Stomp. The Oblit proc jumps to 86% in KO Blow versus FS's 21%.

This has basically been a PSA for "hey Force Feedback's pretty good in AOEs."

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Mayhems were an awesome addition to the game back when City of Villains came out. The Safeguards are just awkward. They really should have made them something where heroes get transported to the Rogue Isles, and then raid a villain's base to foil their dastardly scheme. The destructibles in this case could have been traps/bombs/power sources, etc. for the base. I get that heroes are more about defending than assaulting, but there needs to be a gameplay consideration.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress Safeguards. They're so bad. If you're playing a Hero, go to Pocket D, talk to Null The Gull to become a Vigilante, head to redside, and do Newspaper Missions to get access to Mayhem Missions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The only bad part of Mayhems is that paper missions are narratively worse than radio missions. There's so many mayhems that paint your character as Some Chump doing petty crimes like you're starting out in GTA. But Mayhems are way more fun than Safeguards for sure.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

My favorite thing about Mayhems remains boxes making other boxes explode into a chain reaction of box explosions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

mastajake posted:

It doesn't matter that it's all people were doing. People were enjoying it and it was taken away because other people didn't like that they were enjoying it. The gentlest nudge would have been to increase TF or regular non-DFB grouping xp.

Bullshit. Same exact argument comes up every single time with stuff like this. "But people were having fun, why take that away, why do you hate fun? :qq:" Well guess what, if you love DFB that much you can still run it 1-50, it's still in the game, nothing's changed!

Oh, you mean there was some other mysterious reason DFB was so "enjoyable"? :thunk:

Like holy poo poo what a time warp, I was having this exact same argument with people when they nerfed Kraken farming. (And at least in that case people were desperate to go from 35~ to 40 because Cryptic hosed up the XP curve when they slapped 41-50 on top of the original progression.)

MechaCrash posted:

I think that the "blow poo poo up for bonus time" thing only works before you rob the bank.

But it's easiest to remember: Heroes do the bank first, Villains do the bank last.

Nah, you can still rack up time bonuses after the bank.

I don't dislike Safeguards, and Mayhems are plainly better, but I think both could be improved. Both of them have a weird focus on generic destructible props. Maybe your villain is the kind of rear end in a top hat who just wants to blow poo poo up, so okay sure that can be fun. Lightning Rod-ing into a pack of cars which then all explode is the tits. But after a certain point it's kinda weird to be an unstoppable death god who still takes time out of their schedule to travel to another country to go punch their dumpsters. Meanwhile heroes have to work to put a stop to the mean ole villains who are trying to destroy Paragon City's cardboard box supply. :effort:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Abroham Lincoln posted:

My favorite thing about Mayhems remains boxes making other boxes explode into a chain reaction of box explosions.

It's definitely wild how cardboard boxes are worth more arbitrary mayhem than openly murdering the police and government paramilitary, though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So Titan Weapons. Recharge reduction in attacks is good, right? I feel like I'm just standing there a lot waiting for my poo poo to come off cooldown a lot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

spectralent posted:

It's definitely wild how cardboard boxes are worth more arbitrary mayhem than openly murdering the police and government paramilitary, though.

It's like I always say: ACAWLTB (All Cops Are Worth Less Than Boxes).

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

boxen posted:

So, with the levelling talk, should I not just be going through my contacts and doing missions for them? Because I did DFB once, then just have been puttering around with my robot buddies, atlas park to king's row to steel canyon. I think I did the 3 radio missions then one bank robbery thing, but I couldn't really figure out how to do the "side quests" in that instance.

I tried one of the first TF's at like level 13 solo (the one where you deal with the lost, don't know the name), and got about two or three missions in before I couldn't do anything. Was debating trying the positron TF (level 18 now, i realize i'm overlevelled for it). As I understand it, TF's are solo-able now? I'm not in a rush to 50, it's just that doing random contact missions is kind of boring. What I remember from playing back in the day is TF's taking 8 hours plus, that's also different now, as I understand?

What everyone else said but with my added $0.02 that you should basically never be soloing unless you have a very specific reason for doing so. Missions, TFs, whatever - doing it with friends or a gaggle of pubbies is waaay higher on the fun-o-meter.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Global recharge isn't factored into the proc calculations, which is what lets you cheat them so much. Powers with longer base recharges would see a lot more benefit that way, since they're getting more of a "tangible" reduction in recharge time. It's why the Gaussian's example is great for Build Up, since you're cheating the 1 PPM into a power that fires every 30 seconds.

Also, to look at the original question, AOEs also aren't a bad choice, but it can vary a lot based on the proc.

To take a pair of examples for Foot Stomp, with 3 recharge IOs (99% recharge) shoved into it. This gives it a 10s recharge time, and with a fair amount of global recharge, you can get it to 5s.

Force Feedback +Recharge has a proc rate of 2 PPM, which gives it a 12% proc chance per target. Against 10 targets, odds are it fires once, which is fine since it can't stack with itself.

Obliteration's damage proc has 3.5 PPM, giving it a 21% proc chance per target. Against 10 targets, odds are it fires twice. That's 140~ extra damage per cast, but in a mass AOE scenario you probably won't notice it much.

In any case, procs work decently in AOE powers, assuming you're hitting as many dudes as they allow you to. Having to come up with them against single targets will penalize your chances pretty heavily, though. To reuse the Force Feedback in Foot Stomp comparison, the same slotting in Knockout Blow would get you a 50% chance to proc it, versus that 12% from Foot Stomp. The Oblit proc jumps to 86% in KO Blow versus FS's 21%.

This has basically been a PSA for "hey Force Feedback's pretty good in AOEs."

This is fantastic info, thanks. Where are you getting all the PPM numbers from?

Edit: Also, for the force feedback proc... does that proc work on powers that are already on cooldown? So like if I slot it in Carrion Creepers and it procs 2-3 times after I cast it will the recharge buff apply to Carrion Creepers AND my other powers (e.g. Hasten)?

If so holy gently caress BRB slotting for easy perma hasten and carrion creepers

Edit edit: And does each proc have a chance to fire separately or is it all shared?

I love learning this poo poo

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 4, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

What everyone else said but with my added $0.02 that you should basically never be soloing unless you have a very specific reason for doing so. Missions, TFs, whatever - doing it with friends or a gaggle of pubbies is waaay higher on the fun-o-meter.

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hakarne posted:

This is fantastic info, thanks. Where are you getting all the PPM numbers from?

Edit: Also, for the force feedback proc... does that proc work on powers that are already on cooldown? So like if I slot it in Carrion Creepers and it procs 2-3 times after I cast it will the recharge buff apply to Carrion Creepers AND my other powers (e.g. Hasten)?

If so holy gently caress BRB slotting for easy perma hasten and carrion creepers

Edit edit: And does each proc have a chance to fire separately or is it all shared?

I love learning this poo poo

The PPM values are on the enhancements themselves in-game. I don't think the proc chance values in Pines are accurate (either that or I don't know how to read them.)

The formulas to figure out the exact chances are kinda hosed, but:

Percent chance to fire = PPM*(enhanced recharge time + activation time)/(60*area factor)

Area factor = 1+radius*(11*arc+540)/30000

Special notes being that an AOE's arc is 360, and a cone's radius is the power's range (this might be different for melee cones? Not super sure.) Enhanced recharge time is purely with enhancements, which you can see in your enhancement window for an accurate number.

Force Feedback's proc is 100% global recharge for 5 seconds. Doesn't stack, and more applications won't refresh the duration. I'm not 100% sure on this since Carrion Creepers is a weird power, but my understanding is that since Creepers are a pet, the pet would be the one to benefit from the proc... and pet attacks don't benefit from recharge at all, so that'd be worthless. In general, I know Creepers are one of those powers like Caltrops that used to be really good with tons of procs but got nerfed quite a while ago, but I haven't done any testing to see how it works now. Pseudo-pets are very confusing in general when it comes to procs and how they behave, and Creepers is a pseudopet that summons more pseudopets so who the gently caress knows. I haven't found many hard rules on how that stuff works.

And, multiple procs in the same power would roll separate rolls since they all have unique PPM calculations. In the case of regular pets, each pet ability that's applicable for the proc would have its own calculation. This makes them pretty good in tier 1 MM pets, or Fire Imps, for example, since you get 3 entities that can proc it with every one of their attacks. For Ninjas, it can also mean great utility: Overwhelming Force KB to KD would convert all of a Genin's knockback powers to knockdown, and make every other attack of theirs also have a chance to proc KDs for a lot of soft control.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 4, 2019

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

John Murdoch posted:

Bullshit. Same exact argument comes up every single time with stuff like this. "But people were having fun, why take that away, why do you hate fun? :qq:" Well guess what, if you love DFB that much you can still run it 1-50, it's still in the game, nothing's changed!

Oh, you mean there was some other mysterious reason DFB was so "enjoyable"? :thunk:

Like holy poo poo what a time warp, I was having this exact same argument with people when they nerfed Kraken farming. (And at least in that case people were desperate to go from 35~ to 40 because Cryptic hosed up the XP curve when they slapped 41-50 on top of the original progression.)

Lol. Yeah people like getting good experience points in a game that values them. It (was) also a cool way to get four buffs until 22. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Kraken farming. Nothing wrong with old school taunt auras. Nothing wrong with Winter Lord farming. Nothing wrong with AE farming. Nothing wrong with letting people enjoy their loving game. At least the devs had the excuse of wanting to milk out subscriptions.

HPanda posted:

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

Yeah I'm the same. To be fair though, you can read most of it in the Mission window.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mastajake posted:

Lol. Yeah people like getting good experience points in a game that values them. It (was) also a cool way to get four buffs until 22. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Kraken farming. Nothing wrong with old school taunt auras. Nothing wrong with Winter Lord farming. Nothing wrong with AE farming. Nothing wrong with letting people enjoy their loving game. At least the devs had the excuse of wanting to milk out subscriptions.

actually, there are several things wrong with it, but it's alright if you don't care

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Glagha posted:

So Titan Weapons. Recharge reduction in attacks is good, right? I feel like I'm just standing there a lot waiting for my poo poo to come off cooldown a lot.

Global recharge is good for absolutely every build whatsoever (except *maybe* masterminds) but Titan needs it even more than most. Save up for those LotGs.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

I don't disagree, but sometimes I feel like a five or ten minute or hour break randomly while playing, and that's not really conducive to grouping. I like being able to say I'm done at any point.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tbqh groups can't call the cops on you if you decide to bail, but sometimes I just want to coast along on solo stuff for a while too

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cabbit posted:

It's like I always say: ACAWLTB (All Cops Are Worth Less Than Boxes).
Box is property, which is the reason cops exist (to defend property)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

boxen posted:

I don't disagree, but sometimes I feel like a five or ten minute or hour break randomly while playing, and that's not really conducive to grouping. I like being able to say I'm done at any point.

As long as you aren't doing a task force or some other (relatively) long-haul prospect, there's nothing stopping you from doing that. If you join a bunch of people for missions, you can say "hey guys, I need a break, this is the last one for me" any time you want. They'll just go "okay" and pick up a replacement after you're gone.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So if i just wanna pubs stuff, i just shout out my stuff and that I'm looking for people to group with? The only other mmo I play is ff14 and I understand lingo and etiquette varies a lot between mmorpgs.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wish more people used the LFG tool just on its own. Red side, so far I’ve only seen it used by premade groups to get into things like DFB. Not so much individuals all queueing up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoig posted:

So if i just wanna pubs stuff, i just shout out my stuff and that I'm looking for people to group with? The only other mmo I play is ff14 and I understand lingo and etiquette varies a lot between mmorpgs.

Yeah, pretty much. Use the LFG channel and say you're looking for a group in your area/level range and people will probably either invite you or message you for an invite. You can start the group if you want to run your own missions or just join up with someone else if you don't really care what missions you do.

You can also join higher-level groups, like if someone's asking for group members in the goonsquad chat for something higher than your level, you'll scale up when you join the group and it'll be good XP. The only exceptions are task forces and trials, which have a minimum level.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah sometimes I join a group and only bang out one to three missions then I hop off for a bit. Other times I can sit for a marathon session. It's pretty easy to create and fill groups in the goonsquad chat most of the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HPanda posted:

I wish more people used the LFG tool just on its own. Red side, so far I’ve only seen it used by premade groups to get into things like DFB. Not so much individuals all queueing up.

Nobody knows how to use the queue (and to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if newer players didn't even know how to find it due to the UI being a bit of a mess) and even if they did it has a bunch of quirks and flaws that mean it's not very useful for most things you'd want to do. The solo TF change means it's worthless for those (and I think that also apples to older trials like the respec ones as well) and anything with a proper minimum team size will default to that, seemingly check once if anyone else happens to be looking for that specific thing, and then just go. So you'd get a lot of people being auto-connected into a 4 person team and then instantly leave because they have a pathological need to always have 8 in a group.

The only thing that kinda sorta works is the ability to join in-progress events but I have no idea if that works with TFs at all and with trials there's a risk you get in too late to get proper rewards out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

He sneaks up on enemies in post production.