Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Except in previous books eating meat literally made him violently ill. It wasn't like some kind of lifestyle choice. It was literally like he ate some meat and then vomited and was like "Oh I guess I can't do that anymore. Oh well."

It was probably psychosomatic.
I think he knew that Darken Rahl was a vegetarian, and Darken also had Subtractive magic, so he made the "logical" assumption that since he was a Rahl with Subtractive magic, he was also unable to eat meat once he started using his powers.

Or at least, that's how I would retcon it if I decided that my protagonist character needed to no longer have any flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The thing is you have the vague thread of an interesting subplot there. He keeps losing battles against villain because he cant master his gift, and it turns out it's because hes limiting himself by believing it to be flawed. Or something.

But no, it's because he needed to cut that fat bitch's head and arm off

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also a REAL war wizard would have just subtracted the poison out of his body. His gift is gonna punish him for not believing in himself hard enough

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Also a REAL war wizard would have just subtracted the poison out of his body. His gift is gonna punish him for not believing in himself hard enough

I legit believe if someone one day writes a parody of this series, exactly this thing will happen

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You can't really parody it though. Its positions are so loving bizarre that there isn't really much to take the piss out of. Richard is basically Dany except the reveal that shes a monster never comes

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

gschmidl posted:

:allears:

Just this, unless you want more: I'm sure Goodkind has neither read nor watched either Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

I think this is vague enough I'm into it but can still end up going "WHAT?!" when we get there.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jesus gently caress i don't think I've ever read a series of paragraphs where someone monologueing spewed out so little. No wonder these books are so loving long. As terrible as the Ringo council war books were almost they were only like 500 pages a piece max in paperback

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Stravag posted:

Jesus gently caress i don't think I've ever read a series of paragraphs where someone monologueing spewed out so little. No wonder these books are so loving long. As terrible as the Ringo council war books were almost they were only like 500 pages a piece max in paperback

Wait for the new ones where these monologues are all but printed verbatim four times in a row each.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gschmidl posted:

Wait for the new ones where these monologues are all but printed verbatim four times in a row each.

Richard: "And furthermore, :words:"

Zedd: "Yes, absolutely, we should :words:"

Kahlan: *She knew Richard was absolutely right, and :words: was the only way to :words:*

Someone Else. Probably a female character, since it's Goodkind: "I don't see what the big deal is about :words:" It was the last thing they said before being raped into an exploding pile of gore by The Order.

Richard: "And THAT is why :words:"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Richard: "And furthermore, :words:"

Zedd: "Yes, absolutely, we should :words:"

Kahlan: *She knew Richard was absolutely right, and :words: was the only way to :words:*

Someone Else. Probably a female character, since it's Goodkind: "I don't see what the big deal is about :words:" It was the last thing they said before being raped into an exploding pile of gore by The Order.

Richard: "And THAT is why :words:"

Basically this but the previous line is someone going "Huh? I don't understand this extremely simple concept"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I quit listening to this series during Richard's victory monologe to the universe at the end of the final trilogy. Not because it was awful bullshit but because I was half an hour in and he was repeating himself for what felt like the tenth time in a row and I just couldn't take it any more.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

As far as I'm concerned, there have been no more books since Confessor. That was the last one, the series is over, Zedd and Cara are still alive. :colbert:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Yeah, a big problem with the Sword of Truth books is that most of the interesting rules and systems Goodkind sets up during the course of world building are eventually ignored or subverted.

I have a particular problem with Richard’s continual spouting of A=A and dithering on about logic and what you see is what you get. We’re dealing with a magical world here where the UNDERWORLD was employed as a physical barrier between kingdoms. The Keeper is real and has influence in the material realm. I guess the good spirits and the Creator are real too, but they never seem to get up to jack poo poo.

The point is when someone says they can’t necessarily trust their perceptions because there’s a whole lot of poo poo about the world they don’t understand or know, that is a logical and DEFENSIBLE position. Richard’s canned response is to get pissed at them, slap them around, or kill them when he’s in the mood.

The series would make more sense if Richard and Co. were the supremely ungifted ones marching around and getting rid of all of the makes-no-sense magic. It wouldn’t make for a good fantasy series though...OH WAIT! We’re not reading fantasy...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gameko posted:

I guess the good spirits and the Creator are real too, but they never seem to get up to jack poo poo.

That's not true. They've explicitly done one and only one thing so far: Let Richard gently caress.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's not true. They've explicitly done one and only one thing so far: Let Richard gently caress.

Are we sure on who's the bad deity here

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

END ME SCOOB posted:

Deserve loving.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you read enough of these books you'll realize the basic plot goes like this:

1/4th of the book spent recapping the previous books
1/4th of the book spent establishing some new superweapon for Jagang & splitting up the protagonists so they can't efficiently deal with said superweapon
1/4th of the book looking grim while the good guys get their asses kicked
1/4th of the book where things look especially Grim and then Richard says "dear spirits", figures out how to solve Jagang's new superweapon off screen, and then the book ends with Zedd mussing up some kid's hair and Cara making a wisecrack while Kahlan gives Richard a special smile

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Ginette Reno posted:

If you read enough of these books you'll realize the basic plot goes like this:

True enough. Despite how bad these books are, they were pretty popular and Goodkind is a millionaire. How bad are these books compared to the rest of fantasy literature, do you think? I’ve read a surprising dirth of fantasy genre fiction, despite being quite familiar with it. Shocking what you can learn from a few decades of playing D&D.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Gameko posted:

True enough. Despite how bad these books are, they were pretty popular and Goodkind is a millionaire. How bad are these books compared to the rest of fantasy literature, do you think? I’ve read a surprising dirth of fantasy genre fiction, despite being quite familiar with it. Shocking what you can learn from a few decades of playing D&D.

They're bad, but they're bad in ways that are fairly derivative of genre, just taken to extremes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gameko posted:

Goodkind's books aren't too poorly written. As much as we make fun of some of Goodkind's writing like the chicken that was not a chicken and the rambling five page Richard speeches Terry does have some skill at writing convincing characters. Zedd is a pretty solidly written character, for example.

The offensive thing about Goodkind's books is the content, not the quality of the prose. If the prose was as bad as the content I doubt even Scoob could find the fortitude to read these books.

That's not to say that Goodkind is a good writer or that his prose is brilliant. But it's competent enough for the genre.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I managed to get through about two chapters of Twilight before giving up because of how murderously bad the prose was, and Stephenie Meyer is worth 125megabux according to google. Lots of bad books are popular.

What I'm saying is, Sword of Truth is Twilight for objectivists.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
here's the sword man. i wrote truth on the handle so u dont get it confused with ur other swords.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Christ that must be uncomfortable to hold

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Only by constantly tearing the flesh from your palm can you prove your commitment to objectivism.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Now imagine the flowing style of swift stance and grip changes our master of cut magic is described as using in between his rage or love stabbing. Maybe his gift also helps with damage to the flexors.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gameko posted:

Ugh, hard question. For their time, they're probably fair to middling, especially the first one which is the best of the bunch. I actually think Terry anticipated the gritty, grimdark turn in fantasy, and a lot of his fans were probably people who preferred it's edginess compared to WoT. Now he's up against GRRM and Joe Abercrombie and a host of other, better writers making even grittier, darker, fantasy and even his better books look poor by comparison.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Isn't that by design because the truth is uncomfortable or something dumb like that. Something something great power something something responsability?

Also I just caught up on this thread after not reading it for like 6 month and am glad to have finally experienced the anti-war protestor bit. It's great.

And I still can't get over Mord-Sith and how awful this name is, especially when you're a German speaker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fathis Munk posted:

Isn't that by design because the truth is uncomfortable or something dumb like that. Something something great power something something responsability?

Also I just caught up on this thread after not reading it for like 6 month and am glad to have finally experienced the anti-war protestor bit. It's great.

And I still can't get over Mord-Sith and how awful this name is, especially when you're a German speaker.

Names drive me so crazy. I simply cannot come up with a single one because I immediately second-guess myself about all the ways it will be connoted. I'm that "All the kids will call him Larry Fairy" scene come to life.

If someone suggested "Mord-Sith" to me I'd be like "Dude no, that's like saying HAY GUYS I LIKE TOLKIEN AND STAR WARS CHECK OUT MY POKEMANS."

Goodkind is like "Full steam ahead, A=A"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

How come no sword of False

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Isnt that when the sword of truth uses the white power of hate or whatever? The thing where Richard killing them saves their soul like with the mordsith he stolkholm syndromed to in book 1?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Since I'm on a WOT reread, I'd like to point out that a Seanchan woman is visited by a.... Seeker for Truth.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Data Graham posted:

Names drive me so crazy. I simply cannot come up with a single one because I immediately second-guess myself about all the ways it will be connoted. I'm that "All the kids will call him Larry Fairy" scene come to life.

it's pronounced Ahz-WEE-pay

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’d think by about book three Dick would realize that prophecy doesn’t really mean anything since he subverts it with that one special trick every time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Invalid Validation posted:

You’d think by about book three Dick would realize that prophecy doesn’t really mean anything since he subverts it with that one special trick every time.

Prophecy is a big thing in the post-main-series books still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Since I'm on a WOT reread, I'd like to point out that a Seanchan woman is visited by a.... Seeker for Truth.

Yeah that was a plot that could have used a bit more fleshing out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Errrrr I was pointing out that that is totally dissimilar to Richard being a Seeker of Truth

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Stravag posted:

Isnt that when the sword of truth uses the white power of hate or whatever? The thing where Richard killing them saves their soul like with the mordsith he stolkholm syndromed to in book 1?
How could you forget so much about the pivotal moment where Richard unlocks the ultimate power of moral superiority and forgives his torturer to death with a sword powerup that I don't remember him ever using again?

Hate indeed, dick knows better than to fight his enemies with hate, he saves that for the true evils of the world like people who don't unquestioningly join his cause and unarmed protesters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Errrrr I was pointing out that that is totally dissimilar to Richard being a Seeker of Truth

Oh I know, I'm just noting I kinda liked that dude being a super spy kind of guy and then he kinda just became a minor throwaway thing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

silvergoose posted:

Oh I know, I'm just noting I kinda liked that dude being a super spy kind of guy and then he kinda just became a minor throwaway thing.

Yeah, I really thought there was going to be some connection between the Truth Seeker guys and Mat, once he was titled the Prince of the Ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mr Phillby posted:

How could you forget so much about the pivotal moment where Richard unlocks the ultimate power of moral superiority and forgives his torturer to death with a sword powerup that I don't remember him ever using again?

It came up again at some point relating to Seekers turning into gremlin monsters like Samual, although I forget why this happens.