Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I'm just glad that the true king of tv Sci Fi, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, has no flaws or remakes and therefore remains pristine.

Although I'm rather amazed there wasn't a terrible crossover novel with TNG or Voyager or something. I mean, there was an X-Men/Star Trek novel sold for actual money.

E: Also did they ever explain how the gently caress to fly anything in Star Trek using those terrible consoles because that must be like driving with a keyboard in GTA which is absolutely haram

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nobody ever flies a ship or shuttle in Star Trek. They just tell the computer where they want to go.

even when "good pilots" like Riker grab the MANUAL FLIGHT ROD that's all they're doing, they're just a little better at it

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

FuturePastNow posted:

Nobody ever flies a ship or shuttle in Star Trek. They just tell the computer where they want to go.

even when "good pilots" like Riker grab the MANUAL FLIGHT ROD that's all they're doing, they're just a little better at it

you think it is a coincidence that they are always running into malevolent space gods? the ship hates them

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

If they'd bought Thrustmaster they would have been fine.

But no, they had to go with the Mad Catz Komputer Konsole

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's why they could let wesley pilot the ship sometimes. he wasn't really responsible for the lives of everyone on the ship, or much of anything really. the helmsman's sole duty is to punch in some commands that the computer then checks over and implements.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuturePastNow posted:

That's how real-life spaceships work too. Even in the moon landings 50 years ago, the control inputs went through the computer. The pilot had a little four-way control switch to adjust the landing aim point to given coordinates (as seen on window markings), and then on final approach, there was an up-down toggle switch that he could use to command the descent rate he wanted, and then the computer would adjust the engine power to make that happen. The control stick itself was the most manual part of the operation, but even those inputs went straight to the computer, which carried them out.

Quite a few airplanes these days also have a computer between the pilot and the actual control surfaces. Occasionally that doesn't work out so well, e.g. the 737 MAX 8 computer insisting on diving straight into the ground.

Even cars have elements of this design. Got anti-lock brakes or traction control? There's a computer that's deciding for you from moment to moment whether to actually apply the brakes or not, basing its judgement on its own sensors and its best guess of what you actually want when you slam on the brake pedal.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fly/drive by wire is not the same thing that future past now was describing and you know it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Come to think of it, the BSG ending does sound like something you would read in a making-of book as the insane original pitch that got rejected. I am glad I live in the universe when I can see one of those actually come to life.

I'm reminded of how a pitch for a Superman story got rejected by editorial and later used as the otherwise mostly unrelated ending of Superman: Red Son.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

FuturePastNow posted:

Uhhh excuse me

https://youtu.be/a8LcW3e0zCU

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
"Performing evasion maneuvre Alpha 3!"
*fat ship swerves minimally left and right while being targeted from 500m away by particle weapons that almost move with light speed*

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Voyager.

Was this Michael Piller's job? I was under the impression he's the one who kept track of poo poo for consistency.

quote:

Voyager lost approximately 16 shuttles. I say “approximately” because some of the destruction is open to interpretation. Let’s count by episode:

1. Initiations - Chakotay's shuttle destroyed by Kazon.

2. Non Sequitur - Shuttle "Drake" destroyed in time-stream.

3. Parturition - Paris and Neelix crash in a shuttle.

4. Coda - Chakotay and Janeway crash shuttle Sacajawea on an unnamed planet.

5. Unity - Chakotay and Kaplan crash on planet of the New Collective

6. Rise - Shuttle carrying Neelix, Tuvok and Sklar crashes on planet

7. The Gift - Shuttle is lost when Kes becomes non-corporeal

8. Day of Honor - Shuttle Cochrane destroyed

9. Nemesis - Chacotay's shuttle crashes in the warzone

10. Drone - Class 2 shuttle destroyed by shockwave of proto nebula

11. Dark Frontier - A class-2 shuttle was used as "bait" for the Borg and was assimilated.

12 and 13. Counterpoint - Two shuttles were given to the refugees, who fly them trough the wormhole

14. Gravity - Tuvok, Tom and the Doctor crash a shuttle on the planet.

15. Tsunkatse - The shuttle with Seven and Tuvok is captured. They are rescued by transporting them back to Voyager, but the shuttle is probably lost.

16. Unimatrix 0 - Delta Flyer destroyed.

More dubious ones:

17 - Resolutions - Did they recover the shuttle?

18 - Innocence - Did the shuttle survive?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I know 12 and 13 were recovered on the other side because janeway says so in her log and they had to get tuvok and the other telepath crew members back.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

does picard even lift?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has any nerd created one of those obsessive lists for all the times the Voyager crew went to an amazing planet that wasn't shown on screen?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has any nerd created one of those obsessive lists for all the times the Voyager crew went to an amazing planet that wasn't shown on screen?

They were all in the Voyager Read-along Art Book. My favorite illustrations were those amazing cities, astonishing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Brawnfire posted:

They were all in the Voyager Read-along Art Book. My favorite illustrations were those amazing cities, astonishing.

Why would you want to see any of that when we can make the show about Janeway's hairstyles and Neelix's dancing feet?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Why would you want to see any of that when we can make the show about Janeway's hairstyles and Neelix's dancing feet?

There were at least twenty pages of Neelix feet concept art with increasing levels of eroticism.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

There were at least twenty pages of Neelix feet concept art with increasing levels of eroticism.

Why did they let Quentin Tarantino work on the project in the first place?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Brawnfire posted:

"The feet are the most boneriffic parts of the body, and its level of eroticism is enhanced by size and spots."
-A totally normal concept artist who by no means is a foot fetishist

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

the last two are stuck together

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They keep coming up to the producers like "I really worked on Neelix's arch, it's the kind you wanna lick, sliirrrp" they're just "no one is loving asking for this, in fact we've requested repeatedly that you stop."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, Ethan Phillips went so far as to get a restraining order, for God's sake!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

STAR TREK: 20 pages of Neelix feet concept art with increasing levels of eroticism

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man we didnt even get a loving matte painting

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

shovelbum posted:

Man we didnt even get a loving matte painting

How long would a supercut of every scene in Voyager that involves one or more character walking down a featureless gray corridor be?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What I'm saying is that's our Voyager movie.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

How long would a supercut of every scene in Voyager that involves one or more character walking down a featureless gray corridor be?

1/2 the total time of any season's time in "Cave set #13".

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

what I love is that when they made Enterprise, they actually visited a submarine to get a feel for what it was like, and then they built even MORE endless featureless grey corridors even though the ship was supposed to be even smaller and less advanced so they could do more "walk and talk" scenes

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Blistex posted:

1/2 the total time of any season's time in "Cave set #13".

This is very similar to the always-laughable "Welcome to Bajor, will you be beaming down to Cave-Set or Gazebo-Set today?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Enterprise is a testament to "We want to do something completely different with this franchise and not fall into the same old routines" and then giving up during pre-production.

Oh wait, that's also Voyager.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

"The feet are the most boneriffic parts of the body, and its level of eroticism is enhanced by size and spots."
-A totally normal concept artist who by no means is a foot fetishist

Gene would be proud.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

quote:

3/23/1992. Cause and Effect 4 stars — The Enterprise becomes trapped in a repeating time loop where it is destroyed at the end of every cycle.
NOICE!!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That Awful Nick posted:

This is very similar to the always-laughable "Welcome to Bajor, will you be beaming down to Cave-Set or Gazebo-Set today?"

Nothing beats "Cardassia is two guys looking at a screen on a balcony"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blistex posted:

Nothing beats "Cardassia is two guys looking at a screen on a balcony"

Rest in piss, fascist spoonheads

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rest in piss, fascist spoonheads
Never noticed the two bodies next to the screen they are always gawking at

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

:drat:

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 4, 2019

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

bango skank posted:

am i crazy or is the TAS phaser/energy beam sound effect totally a recording of somebody hitting a bong

all of TAS is somebody hitting a bong

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

They died the way they lived.

Watchin that screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

all of TAS is somebody hitting a bong

Friendly satan is my favorite TAS thing next to Giant Spock Clone and Rich Philanthropist who is a noodly armed alien

E: All of whom would be a better kai than Kai Winn