Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any solid power rankings for GPU manufacturers? It always seems a bit back and forth, but * > Gigabyte >>> Zotac seems evergreen. OTOH, the Aorus brand seems like a different tier than the other Gigabyte stuff.

I don't need the extended warranty and CS because EU, but EVGA and ASUS seem like decent picks.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've taken a cooler off before to fit a Kraken G12 watercooler to a card, then replaced it before sale. I made sure that it was nicely pasted when I fitted the original cooler back on and it was working OK.

It may be that someone has either hamfistedly put it back together or someone on the assembly didn't paste it correctly.

The card that I did myself did have a couple of stickers on it that invalidated the warranty when I removed the cooler, so I wouldn't dive into taking the cooler off to investigate without checking the conditions of your warranty first.

This may not be the problem, but it's a possibility.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

How likely could this be a power cable issue of some sort?

Although the card does have LED indicators for power that are indicating it's ok

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Idling low is good, you need to look at the loaded clocks. Run something and look at the graphs in Afterburner, see if any of them look weird - clock, temp, load, etc.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, working fine at idle, and lack of obvious memory corruption under load would lead me to suspect thermal issues, most likely from a crappy heatsink reinstall. They're not too hard to pop off, so is gave that a try first, and then RMA it if it doesn't fix it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What would memory corruption present itself as? How would I diagnose that

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

What would memory corruption present itself as? How would I diagnose that

Staticy poo poo showing up all over the screen and even in BIOS.
This is what it looked like when my 7870 went bad back in '16:

Other flavors include weird vertical lines all over the screen & BIOS or sometimes even messed up mouse cursor sprites.

E: Bonus shot from the 4850 I tried to use instead of integrated graphics to tide me over after I wrote off my 7870.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

apropos man posted:

I've taken a cooler off before to fit a Kraken G12 watercooler to a card, then replaced it before sale. I made sure that it was nicely pasted when I fitted the original cooler back on and it was working OK.

It may be that someone has either hamfistedly put it back together or someone on the assembly didn't paste it correctly.

The card that I did myself did have a couple of stickers on it that invalidated the warranty when I removed the cooler, so I wouldn't dive into taking the cooler off to investigate without checking the conditions of your warranty first.

This may not be the problem, but it's a possibility.

The "void if removed" stickers are actually unenforceable (and illegal) under US law, so most card manufacturers have stopped using them. Most major card manufacturers now explicitly say that removing the heatsink is fine.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Stickman posted:

The "void if removed" stickers are actually unenforceable (and illegal) under US law, so most card manufacturers have stopped using them. Most major card manufacturers now explicitly say that removing the heatsink is fine.

Isn't that still just EVGA and (sometimes) MSI? It isn't "void if removed" specifically, but stickers over one of the screws that you'll have to tear (or tweeze) if you want to take it off, and this is still as recent as the 2000/Vega cards. It's still grounds for customer support nuking your RMA, where Asus and Gigabyte especially go out of their way to tell you that the FTC ruling doesn't apply to anyone offering free* RMA services if you try using this in a ticket

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've got an EVGA 1060 with those screw stickers on it. The stickers have been violated :devil:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Isn't that still just EVGA and (sometimes) MSI? It isn't "void if removed" specifically, but stickers over one of the screws that you'll have to tear (or tweeze) if you want to take it off, and this is still as recent as the 2000/Vega cards. It's still grounds for customer support nuking your RMA, where Asus and Gigabyte especially go out of their way to tell you that the FTC ruling doesn't apply to anyone offering free* RMA services if you try using this in a ticket

It wouldn't hold up in court since they'd be on the hook for replacement cards regardless of RMA, but you're right they could definitely make it a pain in the rear end regardless of legality!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
reddit is saying the nvidia super thing might be the 2060/2070/2080 re-releasing at significantly lower prices during e3

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

significantly lower prices

Hahahahahahaha

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

all i can really say is lol

eames
May 9, 2009

don't be so quick to judge, maybe they'll also reduce the reduce VRAM by 50% and discontinue the old cards, then it all makes sense :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The rumors come along with process refinements over at TSMC that'd improve yields and thus allow for dropping prices a bit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So I'm back to fiddling with my rtx 2080. It loads battlefront 2 and plays it at 25 fps or so. The base clock is stuck at 300 and the fans arent moving

The boost clock does seem to move and temps move up to mid 50s

Driver issue?

E: if its not properly seated would it act this way possibly ? Or just work even shittier / not at all

Well, I did ddu again and zilch

E: writing this out helped me deduce one piece and I bet I fixed it. I checked the cable from the fan shroud thing to the board and it was lo ose juuuuust a hair. Maybe me or orginal owner knocked it loose. The fans are now spinning for the first time that I can tell.

E: nah still not fixed. They do spin on boot though so they work mechanically

The case on the video card looks untouched and I dont see any evidence of screws being touched. I think I'll just rma this sucker ? Kind of out of ideas

Ok so fans will spin at boot but not through afterburner or during any natural use otherwise. they're also spinning just fine in BIOS. but i cant get them to spin in windows at all even if i try to force it via afterburn

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 2, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

EVGA layoffs confirmed by EVGA_JacobF

quote:

Yes, EVGA is restructuring our organization in order to continually provide the best product and customer experience to our community. EVGA would like to take this opportunity to thank those employee’s impacted by these changes.

In addition, EVGA appreciates the continued support from all of its customers.

Thank you
EVGA Management​

Not great for employees :(

Hopefully this won’t impact their customer service, but I guess we’ll see in the coming months.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Gigabytes website is giving me this error when i try to do it

"SALES_COUNTRY_ALERT" which doesnt really give me warm fuzziesd

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

So I'm back to fiddling with my rtx 2080. It loads battlefront 2 and plays it at 25 fps or so. The base clock is stuck at 300 and the fans arent moving

Driver issue?

E: if its not properly seated would it act this way possibly ? Or just work even shittier / not at all

E: writing this out helped me deduce one piece and I bet I fixed it. I checked the cable from the fan shroud thing to the board and it was lo ose juuuuust a hair. Maybe me or orginal owner knocked it loose. The fans are now spinning for the first time that I can tell.

The case on the video card looks untouched and I dont see any evidence of screws being touched. I think I'll just rma this sucker ? Kind of out of ideas

Ok so fans will spin at boot but not through afterburner or during any natural use otherwise. they're also spinning just fine in BIOS. but i cant get them to spin in windows at all even if i try to force it via afterburn

Is it an Asus card? I have a 1070 from them and the fans won't work if I try to use Afterburner so I have to use their GPU Tweak program.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Driver issue?

Forgive me if you checked this but how warm is the card getting? Most cards won't turn the fan on until the temps are over 50C or just initially in BIOS.

Things I'd do:

- Try a different PCI-E Slot
- Try a different PCI-E Power cable or power cable outlet from PSU if modular

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Statutory Ape posted:

Do you have another computer (friends?) that you can try it in?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Send it back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

^^^^

If you're inside the return window for the store/reseller you bought it at, don't go through the maker, just send it back and get another new one. RMAing means there's always that slight chance you inherit someone else's problem in the form of a refurb - the card might work fine but have terrible coil whine, etc, etc, etc. New in box carries the same chance of that, of course, but it leaves you with way more options.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

reddit is saying the nvidia super thing might be the 2060/2070/2080 re-releasing at significantly lower prices during e3

maybe it's the 3GB 2060 lol

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For the "I only care about Quake II RTX" crowd?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

ufarn posted:

Are there any solid power rankings for GPU manufacturers? It always seems a bit back and forth, but * > Gigabyte >>> Zotac seems evergreen. OTOH, the Aorus brand seems like a different tier than the other Gigabyte stuff.

I don't need the extended warranty and CS because EU, but EVGA and ASUS seem like decent picks.

I'm using Zotac 2080 Amp, which replaces Zotac 1060 6GB, both are fine, and were cheapest decent cooler cards on the market. They also offer a total of 5 years of warranty for graphic cards after registering. In :poland: it looks like MSI has the most cards going for a warranty and then hitting the refurb market, it includes the RTX line. Cheaper Asus are second, and supposedly their service dept blows. It might be that they both sell way more volume, but Zotac often ends in "best sellers" class in shop websites.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AMD got a licensing deal with Samsung so Samsung can use the RDNA uArch in mobile devices.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-samsung-rdna-graphics-ip,39563.html

It's pretty interesting and another pretty big win for AMD. Their Adreno IP that they sold off was pre-GCN, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Samsung needs a win in that regard for the Exynos. Especially because we don't get the Qualcomm versions in Europe.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Statutory Ape posted:

Driver issue?

Return it. I recall Tech Jesus getting some faulty 2080 TI's mailed to him that were doing similar things. I want to say a BIOS flash from another card fixed it but just RMA it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Finally, a new passively cooled GPU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What the heck is that monstrosity of a technological achievement?! Also looks like server only.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's for the new Mac pro.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just more evidence that Apple is terrible at anything involving graphics performance.

Also, it's not really "passively cooled", the case fans are directly in front of it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I fully expect the Apple premium on those to bring each card up to $8000 a pop.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I love hearing the “oh I got a Mac because they’re SO much better at video,”

I haven’t kept up with it since that was vaguely true, I assume that a PC with a 2080 and an i9/Zen 2 would poo poo on whatever a Mac can roll out now

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
WTB that heatsink. Just the heatsink.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

It's for the new Mac pro.

My first impression was that it wouldn't fit into whatever pyramid/mobius strip chasis they were using for the new model but I'm pleasantly surprised.

That's a ridiculous amount of memory, presumably for video editing?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

tehinternet posted:

I love hearing the “oh I got a Mac because they’re SO much better at video,”

I haven’t kept up with it since that was vaguely true, I assume that a PC with a 2080 and an i9/Zen 2 would poo poo on whatever a Mac can roll out now

Depends how much you spend on the mac. EG, you could get a 28C Xeon mac for $uckloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Somewhere at Apple a disciple of Raja is proud to have packed three PCI slots full of shroud.