Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deadspin was much, much less circumspect about it so don't go there (or to any GMG sites, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't mind the spoilers, the process is always as interesting as the outcome.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

As much as I might have gotten tired of him I can't wait for the inevitable showdown between him, Ken, and Brad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone else hootin and hollerin?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

every day of my life

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah this lady seems pretty cool too

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Emma is my hero.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah the internet is going to be broken until james explains his FJ wager.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Was that the only time in Jeopary history that one 1 question was answered wrong across all players and both boards.

I wish be bet it all so he would have lost by 1 dollar exactly after winning 2.4m.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

compared to how ken went out that felt anticlimatic

e:

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1135700075173146624
https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1135700077173854208

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It was more of a bet that Emma would assume he would bet big, and she would accordingly bet big and lose. I'm pretty sure that was the first time he didn't enter Final Jeopardy in the lead.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Emma's bet was basically preordained -- the only rational bet for her was $20,201.

3rd place had 11,000, meaning he could have doubled up to 22,000. if james got his FJ wrong he would have been left with $22,001

it was the correct bet for James. he knew the only way he was going to win was for Emma to get it wrong anyway, and it was the bet that protected him from Louis CK But Handsome coming from 3rd to snipe his victory.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The coolest part is that the episode was filmed before James's streak began airing, meaning she didn't even have a chance to study his strategy. She didn't target her strategy to take him down, she didn't even have a clue how he played going in.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Soothing Vapors posted:

Emma's bet was basically preordained -- the only rational bet for her was $20,201.

3rd place had 11,000, meaning he could have doubled up to 22,000. if james got his FJ wrong he would have been left with $22,001

it was the correct bet for James. he knew the only way he was going to win was for Emma to get it wrong anyway, and it was the bet that protected him from Louis CK But Handsome coming from 3rd to snipe his victory.

i should have clarified that i myself understood the wager, and should have also posted tweets

https://twitter.com/hbtc23/status/1135690964872421381
https://twitter.com/halflife0/status/1135697634386153472
https://twitter.com/Shackelford1055/status/1135698938294689793
https://twitter.com/MattDamsel/status/1135699338452242433
etc.

We are we living in the age of the conspiracy. It's all too appropriate that "Deep State" was the answer to a clue tonight.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Daily doubles did determine the outcome, albeit not by his missing one. He effectively got no daily doubles this game, and conversely Emma bet big and nailed it. And it's hard to get daily doubles without being on a roll, which she was with excellent buzzer reflexes and knowledge. It wouldn't surprise me if she wins at least a few more games.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We are we living in the age of the conspiracy. It's all too appropriate that "Deep State" was the answer to a clue tonight.

If you wanna go that route, I say swing for the fences:

Emma, having written her Master's thesis on Jeopardy, was brought in as a ringer to make sure James lost before he broke Ken's record. Obviously, this was all orchestrated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Emma, having written her Master's thesis on Jeopardy, was brought in as a ringer to make sure James lost before he broke Ken's record. Obviously, this was all orchestrated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

And the other contestant just happened to memorize the entire 1st edition of Trivial Pursuit?

We're through the looking glass, people.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I blame the Illuminati. They have their hands in *everything*

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

That's exactly what the Area 51 Lizard People want you to believe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's actually pretty cool that James' loss was due to an incredibly loving strong player beating him, and not an error on his part.

And James' daughter's card for Alex was touching, you could tell Alex was trying pretty hard to keep it together there.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Also, I fully encourage the producers to not only bring in ringers to take down long-running champs, but go full "Gladiator"-style with hidden tigers and the like as part of the stage.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I had been wondering if it would be more helpful for the third-place contestant to be relevant if not in it to the end, effectively shrinking the board and compressing the gap between James and the challenger; or out of it, not wasting any money that could have gone to the challenger. Looks like the former worked out.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1135703484697681921

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1135708153671118848

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

i should have clarified that i myself understood the wager, and should have also posted tweets
The thing people are also confusing is big bets with big risks. James bet a lot of big money on Jeopardy because he had very commanding leads that allowed him to bet so big. Still, he was usually maintaining comfortable cushions if he did miss it especially considering how dominating of a player he was.

Like James betting big just to get to showboat if his flawless opponent somehow hosed up FJ would have been incredibly out of character.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't every jeopardy ringer already be signed up to play the game for 50k a half hour?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

James made the right bet and it was an incredibly bright bet. The only way he could win is if Final Jeopardy was a tough question that stumped everyone and that's how he bet. He even protected himself in case Emma and he missed and the third guy got it right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darth Brooks posted:

James made the right bet and it was an incredibly bright bet. The only way he could win is if Final Jeopardy was a tough question that stumped everyone and that's how he bet. He even protected himself in case Emma and he missed and the third guy got it right.

As much as I don't like James, it was really was a good strategy. His entire run has been predicated on having a large enough lead that no one else could match him (barring a couple close calls).

Without that advantage because someone was actually ahead of him for once, instead of betting on himself, he bet against the other players, and Emma was just too strong.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
lovely timing, sucks for him that with one game left he fell just short of the Ken Jennings dollar record

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
it actually rules extremely hard that he lost

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's extremely funny that he lost the day he was set to eclipse Jennings's record, but also I hope that he plays in the 2019 Tournament of Champions and wins enough to knock that fraud Kravis out of the three-spot, and have the match between him, Brad, and Ken advertised as the meeting of the undisputed three greatest game show contestants in American history.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Was that the only time in Jeopary history that one 1 question was answered wrong across all players and both boards.

I wish be bet it all so he would have lost by 1 dollar exactly after winning 2.4m.

There was a Tournament of Champions game eons ago where no one missed anything.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think it's extremely funny that he lost the day he was set to eclipse Jennings's record, but also I hope that he plays in the 2019 Tournament of Champions and wins enough to knock that fraud Kravis out of the three-spot, and have the match between him, Brad, and Ken advertised as the meeting of the undisputed three greatest game show contestants in American history.

Brad made mincemeat out of Ken. I'd love to see him against James.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love Ken but unfortunately Brad is the GOAT which sucks because he seems like such a dickhead. I kind of want James to humble him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Anne Whateley posted:

The coolest part is that the episode was filmed before James's streak began airing, meaning she didn't even have a chance to study his strategy. She didn't target her strategy to take him down, she didn't even have a clue how he played going in.

I don't think this is accurate but I'm not sure. My coworker's sister was on a couple games ago and said coworker went to the taping, and I vaguely remember that James Hype had already started and we were all like "What if he's still there for her game?!"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, the only thing his bet didn’t really protect him from was Emma betting 0 or some incredibly low amount, when all signs would indicate the bet that she made

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
West coast + 7:30 PM airtime + in a market where it airs on NBC so hockey happens to delay it = I was never going to avoid learning the outcome ahead of time.

Still over 30 minutes til airtime for me as I post this lmao.

But NOW I'm ready to get the news that I've been selected for season 36.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Same here, normally airs at 7 and is scheduled for 9 so I have my DVR set to record from now until like 11 whee.

It was pretty funny not seeing today's episode in the Recorded Episodes list, though. Would've been a hilarious way to go out!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

it actually rules extremely hard that he lost

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Poque posted:

I don't think this is accurate but I'm not sure. My coworker's sister was on a couple games ago and said coworker went to the taping, and I vaguely remember that James Hype had already started and we were all like "What if he's still there for her game?!"
I wasn't pulling that out of my rear end, it's true

quote:

Holzhauer’s episodes began airing in April. Boettcher said she taped Monday’s episode in March, and she didn’t know that Holzhauer was a 32-day champion until that information was revealed as contestants gathered before taping got underway.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-jeopardy-james-holzhauer-emma-boettcher-20190603-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I also didn't know this

https://twitter.com/buzztronics/status/1135701418575138816