Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bregor posted:

Seems legit

Zell's reaction lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The Ivalice stuff is mega fanficcy and there are part of it that make me eyeroll a little but it's also not part of the main Stormblood story

that said it has Agrias flying off into heaven going "I'm going to go be gay with Ovelia now" so a lot of things are forgiven

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked it. Ramza et al are definitely essentially gods in FFT because they're able to so easily beat the poo poo out of, essentially, demigods and Azura without really tapping into anything other than elbow grease to do so-- no ex machina really. Ivalice in FF14 just represented that with a bit more anime flair (and gave them FF14's world's primary ex machina), and made it fit within their overall world structure. Ivalice always works better supported by a "used to be a big deal, but is hosed to death now" framework and it's why I hated FF12's Ivalice so much more than FFT's.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 3, 2019

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
FF14 is really good but you have to play the 312385 hour story in order and eventually I just got tired of running back and forth and back and forth between two NPCs for like 5 hours.

suuma fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 4, 2019

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Why does Seifer hold his gunblade like a moron, the intro makes it seem like those are super heavy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Why does Seifer hold his gunblade like a moron, the intro makes it seem like those are super heavy

he's imitating a lovely movie he saw as a kid that starred an idiot named laguna loire

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

iirc Squall's gunblade seems pretty heavy in FF8, since he two-hands his chunky meat cleaver and there's a big heft to his regular swings whereas Seifer's is a thinner, more rapier-like one-handed model

it's basically weightless in Dissidia onwards though

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

he's imitating a lovely movie he saw as a kid that starred an idiot named laguna loire

Oh my God is this canon because that's actually kind of cool.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

zenguitarman posted:

It's canon.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

God FF8 constantly rubberbands between loving awesome and so loving dumb

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
im not huge into ff8 but i do quite love the flashback scenes where squall just keeps calling laguna a loser the whole time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

E: And you know Seifer's whole deal about being a sorcerer's knight? Its again, from this movie. Seifer is a dork.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I've said it before but Seifer being the protag over Squall would make most of the narrative make more sense down to being Rinoa's knight and Squall's entire freakout about dying and being talked about in the past tense lines up with the villain's plot.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The White Dragon posted:

you can't trick me i saw the "fft alternate ending" and that was infested rat poo poo straight out of a sewer

Yeah it was very par for the course for something led by Matsuno.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Stormblood ruled.

S.J. posted:

It was a "What If" and it was fine

Also this.

Also the VA for Thunder God Cid was incredible.

Open your eyes to the darkness and drown in it's loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've said it before but Seifer being the protag over Squall would make most of the narrative make more sense down to being Rinoa's knight and Squall's entire freakout about dying and being talked about in the past tense lines up with the villain's plot.

that doesn't sound good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All the ability quotes from the FFT raid are metal as gently caress, and I want to figure out a way to hack them into the original game.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

jokes posted:

Zell's reaction lol

Selphie's reaction ("Are you MAD!?") is even better

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booourns posted:

Selphie's reaction ("Are you MAD!?") is even better

I always wondered what kind of mad she meant. He is clearly angry in a sense but he's also randomly shouting so she could also be asking him if he's crazy.

Nobody ever brings this up again though which is honestly why I think it's so awful. It's the most emotion Squall had shown in the game up to that point and it is literally dropped and forgotten immediately after it happens.

Gotta focus on Irvine and his massive relevance to the plot, I guess.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

I always wondered what kind of mad she meant. He is clearly angry in a sense but he's also randomly shouting so she could also be asking him if he's crazy.

Nobody ever brings this up again though which is honestly why I think it's so awful. It's the most emotion Squall had shown in the game up to that point and it is literally dropped and forgotten immediately after it happens.

Gotta focus on Irvine and his massive relevance to the plot, I guess.

IIRC the topic right before hand was about Seifer and Rinoa's relationship, so I took the 'Are you MAD?!' line to mean "Whoa, are you jealous?!"

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Fister Roboto posted:

All the ability quotes from the FFT raid are metal as gently caress, and I want to figure out a way to hack them into the original game.

You'll never take "Life is short... Bury! Steady Sword!" from me.

Honestly what pisses me off most about WotL is them taking out spell quotes. Spell quotes are great.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I just appreciate that of all the Ivalice raid bosses, the one who ended up being the biggest raidkiller was T.G. Cid. It's perfect.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kanfy posted:

I just appreciate that of all the Ivalice raid bosses, the one who ended up being the biggest raidkiller was T.G. Cid. It's perfect.

4.1-era Hashmal has some words for you. T.G. Cid's definitely a big boy, but Hashmal was bricking raids for almost the entire duration of Rabanastre's run as the current 24-man, whereas I stopped really seeing T.G. Cid wipes about a month in unless an entire alliance was new or something.
(Hell, 4.5-era Hashmal has some words for you- I still see raids wipe on that guy)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Will definitely not try to beat ff8 at level 7. Will only use the speed-boost cheat because the other cheats are too tempting. I don't know why they left in the crappy midi-soundtrack that you need to replace on your own.

I noticed this game doesn't really have many palette-swaps since there is level-scaling. The only boss who shows up as a regular enemy is that Elvoret dude.

I forgot that Robin Williams plays the kindly headmaster to an army of child-soldiers in this game.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 4, 2019

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I forgot that Robin Williams plays the kindly headmaster to an army of child-soldiers in this game.

You ain’t never had a Cid like me

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
the read I got was that Balamb Garden was originally an organization for teaching kids life skills and giving them opportunities (iirc there was a line about it during the NORG scenario?), but then Edea got sorcerer'd and Cid didn't want to have to kill her, so he decided to train the kids into anti-sorcerer child soldiers instead (rather than the far more sensible option of contacting literally any other military organization). then he needed funding so he contacted Fantasy Trump who then further converted Balamb Garden into a mercenary organization for profit

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It all makes more sense if you see the cut ending where Seifer is a small child staring at a snowglobe of Balamb Garden.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All of FFVIII’s plot works in dream logic, and if you just let it wash over you in that context, it’s amazing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The train-sequence is much more forgiving than I remembered. You don't get a game-over when you fail and you get extra time with each attempt.

I thought it was weird in 7 how some old, fat, executive gets his own boss-fight; but it doesn't compare to the zombie-president-body-double who's probably more suited to governing than most real-life politicians.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Last week, I ran across an article in Entertainment Weekly that featured important information for RPG fans. Those concerned about the stories and characters and the atmosphere may be easily swayed by games like Anthem or Farcry XIV, but wait — where did the upcoming Final Fantasy game come from? It’s a franchise in chaos that’s looking into adding sub-bizarre (we get it) storylines. Yes, the new title will feature FF VII’s Tidus, and not from the Island Battle. But where is that game now, and why doesn’t it exist?

Final Fantasy releases every single year, but the series lacks continuity. Too much of it remains a mystery. How many Final Fantasy releases is the series really lucky to have? Didn’t make a single entry in the past decade, then a few were interchanged. Was the MMO really Final Fantasy Online? Did the game originally launch in 1999? Maybe it was the classic FF7 Final Fantasy VII Online? Whatever the case, we’ve heard what the game is, but we really don’t know what it is. So, like I said: I have f—ing opinions.

Consider this an introduction to Final Fantasy, for this is the most fascinating topic at the moment. Here’s a quick tour of my pseudo-conversation about the game’s multiple lives. But before I get to my overarching thoughts on the series’ future, there are a few more bits to discuss. There’s Final Fantasy XII’s story, which we’ll tackle tomorrow, and the greatness of Final Fantasy XV. Final Fantasy X-2’s story, which you can also discuss tomorrow. A parody of Final Fantasy 7 that shows it’s possible to create a good JRPG (with you), and the possibility of what could have been with Final Fantasy 19.

Well, I think it’s safe to say that I’m firmly in Final Fantasy 17 and FF18’s camp. Of the seven numbered Final Fantasy games, I only play six. Just please forgive me for not spending 20+ hours playing as Ganondorf in one game. As long as I have the game’s story to lean on, I stick to the numbered games. (When I watch anime, I go to Avengers or the Eisner Award-winning Fire Emblem. Then I’m literally out of games for the rest of the day).

For those who can’t keep up with me — FF18 was announced after Tetsuya Nomura had worked on VII, VIII, and IX (and finishing Ocarina of Time for 4). Which means the new game would be a direct sequel, opening at the beginning of VII, with a story connected to the number 7. If that happens, it’s a logical conclusion that FF18 should begin with VII, the cult classic game that paved the way for the franchise’s modern age. The choice appears to be about to change.

Talk about King-Final Fantasy XIII, the last original name attached to Final Fantasy XIII. Or Final Fantasy XV, the title of the most recent numbered game. Tetsuya Nomura works on VII, VIII, and IX, and now their last numbered title has a new direction in the form of No Memory, another numbered game. Which means, one of the most popular numbered games in the series gets to start fresh, exactly the way it should be. The legendary creator returns to act as a story adviser. (Tetsuya Nomura? Really? Come on Tetsuya, stop it.)

This news hit me hard. And yeah, I’m missing out on a few patches and fixes. How is it that almost everything that’s important to me is hidden away in these forever aging games?

The biggest reason for the changes? Marketing. FF18 and XI both had bloated sub-stories that they couldn’t carry. Final Fantasy XV’s Alicization was intended to be a new novel. When people finished the game and realized that, they ended up ruining the game’s sub-stories. Fans were thrilled when Final Fantasy Versus XIII was canceled, but then someone played the last Final Fantasy XIII, found similarities to the Sonata of the Beyond, and the game was on the backburner. It was about to lose its audience that much faster.

Then, the games changed.

There’s an obvious link between the No Memory project and FF18’s heavy focus on Final Fantasy XV’s universe. Which of the numbered games can be revived through a mysterious renaissance?

All I know is, I’m waiting. If you’re a fan, you’ll have to wait, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

:same:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mega64, I ignored the Barkley thread for years, trusting that I would simply play the game when it came out, and until then I could forget about it. After a comment someone made in another thread, I now realize Barkley 2 not only is not coming out, but in actuality never had a chance in hell of coming out, and I was intensely sad. Seeing your post, here, now, in my hour of darkness, makes all the difference in moving forward with life.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Where is the thread where the dev says Barkeley 2 is dead?

Unfortunately YIIK did not die and is in fact available to play.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Where is the thread where the dev says Barkeley 2 is dead?

Unfortunately YIIK did not die and is in fact available to play.

your adventure starts here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519798&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=228#post495578641

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Keep in mind it's less of an adventure and more of a sudden rapid descent into a grave.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
some of the examples of development bloat are incredible. long live the dark drakers

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MarsDragon posted:

You'll never take "Life is short... Bury! Steady Sword!" from me.

Honestly what pisses me off most about WotL is them taking out spell quotes. Spell quotes are great.

Valkyrie Profile and its sequels are the games you want friend

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I love Valkyrie Profile so you are entirely correct.

Covenant of the Plume is hella underrated, it's actually a great interpretation of VP's mechanics as an SRPG and is a ton of fun.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Some of those VP spell quotes are forever burned into my memory. "Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence: thou shalt have it."

I never played any of the VP sequels though. Covenant looks pretty neat but I wish it was on a more convenient platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nibble posted:

Some of those VP spell quotes are forever burned into my memory. "Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence: thou shalt have it."

I never played any of the VP sequels though. Covenant looks pretty neat but I wish it was on a more convenient platform.

VP2 is a bonkers ride where chapter 3 lulls you into a false sense of blandness and poor pacing, but then chapter 4 through the end of the game is a rollercoaster that never slows down and takes you straight to hell