Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I recently discovered there's a fairly big community of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle in my area and that the game seems to be on the rise since it was picked up by a new company.

I'm going to attend to a demo next Saturday, anyone has any tips or something I should know beforehand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How well would generic NWoD play as a "light-ish" horror/mystery game with around high school age characters? Around like Buffy or Persona levels.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

OscarDiggs posted:

How well would generic NWoD play as a "light-ish" horror/mystery game with around high school age characters? Around like Buffy or Persona levels.

Pretty decently well! You might check out the nWoD 1e book Innocents, which mostly focuses on somewhat younger kids but talks a lot about the possibilities of kid horror mysteries.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Mors Rattus posted:

Pretty decently well! You might check out the nWoD 1e book Innocents, which mostly focuses on somewhat younger kids but talks a lot about the possibilities of kid horror mysteries.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I can't do that because they've already mindcontrolled me into their slave

Just make a Willpower roll, you wuss.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mendrian posted:

That dog scenario is pretty weird imho.

Like, yes, it is kinda brutal that your character was in a situation where you had to maybe kill a beloved family companion to survive but the alternative is frenzying on an actual human.

Plus I think trying to make players feel ooc guilty about actions the game wants you to do is kind of gross unless everybody agrees that's what they'd like to explore.

Also edit: is it the same with all violence or did the gm especially want you to feel lovely about the dog?

The campaign is a pretty dark one, which you'd expect and want from a World of Darkness campaign!

It was probably just a weird day and the ST was probably just in the weird headspace that you lower yourself into to create the WoD atmosphere. Ultimately, I messaged the ST and let him know that I was sorry for any weirdness or awkwardness and that the dog yipping soundboard was out of place and trashy on my part. He seemed glad that I reached out. Thanks for the advice all!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

I did this over the winter holidays with simplified premade character sheets and it went great

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Have any of you run Promethean? Can you give me some resources or advice for that game in particular? I picked up 2nd edition and am kicking around ideas for running a game once the one I’m currently playing in concludes and running into some blocks.

It was always my second favorite WoD line (after CtL) and I absolutely love the idea of it, but it also doesn’t seem like the type of game that lends itself to writing a story before you know what the PCs are like.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Labes for days posted:

Have any of you run Promethean? Can you give me some resources or advice for that game in particular? I picked up 2nd edition and am kicking around ideas for running a game once the one I’m currently playing in concludes and running into some blocks.

It was always my second favorite WoD line (after CtL) and I absolutely love the idea of it, but it also doesn’t seem like the type of game that lends itself to writing a story before you know what the PCs are like.

Well, your PCs handing you a literal sheet with what they want to do is part of character creation.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I know, but I’m asking for help with the parts that come before I have anyone handing me a character...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Why would there be parts before that? The story of some guys who travel around and are hassled by everything is pretty much a given, so detail has to come after you see the material you are working with.

Big props for attempting the game at all, honestly! It is definitely one of the most challenging.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I really want a Kaiju tabletop RPG now. Thanks :mad:

Just reskin World Wide Wrestling.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Booking says Godzilla has to wreck Tokyo this week

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Booking says Godzilla has to wreck Tokyo this week

King Kong is demanding a match though and they both can't headline, unless...

Tokusatsu has, in a bit of a convergent/divergent/parallel evolution, a lot of the same tropes of Wrestling.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 3, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why would there be parts before that? The story of some guys who travel around and are hassled by everything is pretty much a given, so detail has to come after you see the material you are working with.

Big props for attempting the game at all, honestly! It is definitely one of the most challenging.

Because having a skeleton of a plot to flesh out with those things the PC's want to do is smart and good?

The biggest come is to decide if you're going to be a road chronicle or a stationary one. Not traveling will make things harder for your characters but also brings more investment in trying to fit in.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hi friends, a billion pages ago I posted an idea for a fansplat which posited that online reactionaries are compelled by a contagious semi-supernatural form of anger which is exploited by internet pundits who fan these flames for bucks and fame. It's blending elements which I've now learned are covered by hunter, beast, and the contagion chronicle, but I'm pushing forward with the project anyway because it's an excuse to mock Ben Shapiro.
Anyway, is there anything else I should add to the document before I start shipping it out to alpha testers?

Finished:
New morality system & anchors
Possible origins of the contagious anger & ways to incorporate it into an existing game
Narrative goals of the anger/NPCs/cults
New anger powers
Skill/ability specializations
Backgrounds
How this splat interacts with existing gribblies
Common cult activities (most common one is gang-based livestreaming, akin to MTV's Real World Presents: The Purge)
How radicalization works IRL, online and off
Methodologies of escape (including how to play a PC unlearning anger & trying to lead a normal life)

WIP:
notable NPCs and sample cult structures
table-ready sample adventure

Jhet posted:

They could indeed do that. No issues could ever arise from rummaging around in someone else’s mind. Nope, not at all.

You are waiting on a train. A train that will take you far away. You know where you hope the train will take you, but there's no way to be sure.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Next time you play remember feeding is blood rape

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Wikipedia posted:

The earliest mention of the story seems to have been on a stained-glass window placed in the Church of Hamelin c. 1300. The window was described in several accounts between the 14th and 17th centuries. It was destroyed in 1660. Based on the surviving descriptions, a modern reconstruction of the window has been created by historian Hans Dobbertin. It features the colorful figure of the Pied Piper and several figures of children dressed in white.

This window is generally considered to have been created in memory of a tragic historical event for the town. Also, Hamelin town records start with this event. The earliest written record is from the town chronicles in an entry from 1384 which states: "It is 100 years since our children left."

Although research has been conducted for centuries, no explanation for the historical event is universally accepted as true. In any case, the rats were first added to the story in a version from c. 1559 and are absent from earlier accounts.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I thought the second bit being flippant rather than literal was obvious by the wording!

But yes, do the first bit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Labes for days posted:

I had some luck running a campaign set in a post-Civil War traveling carnival/circus. Gave everyone a good reason to travel and keep their wastelands to a minimum while isolating them enough from regular people that the disquiet was low-ish. Eventually the carnies drove them away, but I had a segue planned so that was ok.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Metapod posted:

Next time you play remember feeding is blood rape

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dont cut yourself on that edge buddy boy

I'll also have you know my blood cultists choose to and love being enthralled by my preternatural visage

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Just make a Willpower roll, you wuss.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I love my Promethean party, tho they’ve been less running away from problems as seeking to fix one. One of the party had a run in with an alchemist who managed to put the whammy on her and make her susceptible to the idea of selling out her genitor. She was handsomely rewarded but when the alembic wore off she was horrified by her own actions and they’ve been chasing him across Europe ever since.

Best bit of player surprise so far was when they tried to buy passage to London and I told them that they didn’t have the money. I’m expecting them to stowaway or threaten the guy, steal the ship maybe? No. “Let’s rob a bank.”

Cue heist session.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

Cue heist session.

I am extremely excited for someone to have to speak to a security guard and trigger an intense bout of disquiet while casing the joint.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I think I have the bones of a plot/antagonists worked out and am going to broach the subject with my group when we meet Sunday. Our D&D game isn’t anywhere near complete but I figure once I know who my PCs will be the ideas will keep flowing.

My problem with anything WoD is that I want to keep adding different types of monsters and must rein myself in. I can’t help it, I just love Changeling. :ohdear:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am extremely excited for someone to have to speak to a security guard and trigger an intense bout of disquiet while casing the joint.

"gently caress IT, WE'RE DOING IT LOUD."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFl1uqera4&t=70s

Aoi fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 5, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh gently caress, is there also gonna be a Vampire the Heist game?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'd be all over it, myself. Every heister is from a different splat, so they each have their particular strengths and weaknesses, though making it anything but cosmetic would be a challenge, of course. Even a cosmetic one would be fun! I've never played Vermintide, but watched a few games played, and it seems kind of like what a non-identical character co-op game with similar mechanics might be like.

Though I guess it's a bit more like Left 4 Dead, so the big issue would be stealth, as it always is, of course.

(Won't happen, especially a Chronicles version, which I'd prefer, but would be amazing.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem with powers is that the endless waves of cops turns into hunters or Inquisition tactical units of various ability, with a couple dozen True Faith Specials channeling their procs and abilities along with hordes of foot soldiers. The Masquerade of just a normal criminal enterprise needs to be maintained to not go too off the deep end, but on some difficulties and jobs that's almost impossible to do. This means destroying camera footage and networks at a desk before you bring out the fangs and transformations, setting up and defending a signal jammer that can keep satellite footage and cellphones down, and avoiding wanton murder of non combatant humans of any stripe as that can trigger frenzies in the team. But the cops that fire are you and anything that wants you dead? Feel free to feed on them, rend them with your claws, dominate/dementate them or cast rituals on the field.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Payday 2 was a prince among games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion is officially available for purchase now completely.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Aw poo poo, they already have a game about gods? Well, there goes my idea about Covenants being people with the ability to speak in a voice that alters reality exactly to the letter of whatever statement they made, usually at some great cost both to the speaker and whatever they're changing, and thus are a hot commodity for any sort of deity or entity that wants to become a god.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Crabtree posted:

Aw poo poo, they already have a game about gods? Well, there goes my idea about Covenants being people with the ability to speak in a voice that alters reality exactly to the letter of whatever statement they made, usually at some great cost both to the speaker and whatever they're changing, and thus are a hot commodity for any sort of deity or entity that wants to become a god.

You're still free to make whatever you like! That's a very distinct idea from Scion, which is more about being a mythic hero of religion.

But yes, Scion exists! I've actually been hired to work on one of the upcoming books for it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

In theory, such a mage could go into a patient's mind and destroy PTSD's goetic form.

I'm sure this would have no consequences and is perfectly healthy.

the worst thing that could happen is that you completely and permanently destroy the patient's ability to experience fear or stress. Sounds good to me!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Civilized Fishbot posted:

the worst thing that could happen is that you completely and permanently destroy the patient's ability to experience fear or stress. Sounds good to me!

RAW you'd have to do this on purpose. Destroying Goetia isn't permanent, and if anything the problem is that just killing a Goetic phobia will suppress it for a little while but not change anything. Of course, that suppression can be useful for helping the patient resolve their fears and make it weaker when it comes back, but only with more elaborate goetic of therapeutic work.

The Astral Realms book is good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mors Rattus posted:

You're still free to make whatever you like! That's a very distinct idea from Scion, which is more about being a mythic hero of religion.

But yes, Scion exists! I've actually been hired to work on one of the upcoming books for it.

oh poo poo congrats

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Speaking of Scion, revisiting the Hero book now that it's out and final and: Spending Legend still sucks, and is lovely, because regaining Legend sucks, and is lovely. At least fresh out of chargen at Legend 1 where you just, lose the ability to do god crap that involves Imbuing Legend if you ever pull the trigger on the more interesting stuff, until you derail the story to stock up. Like, the spend/regain Legend system seems like a bolted-on or aborted previous version of WoD-lite where you need to do the god-narrative equivalent of vampiric feeding for this one uncommon instance of a thing, in a game where otherwise you're pretty loosy-goosy with always-actives and per-scene commitments. And half the stuff you can spend it on isn't necessarily that much more narratively impactful than the regular Imbues!

It doesn't help that, of the Purviews in the book, you could replace virtually every Spend 1 Legend with "Imbue 1 Legend for the scene" for both the innate powers and their boons, and you would lose nothing of value.

Like, cool game, but replacing Spend with Imbue-for-Scene is the only way I think I could sell a group on it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I ran a pair of mostly action-adventure games during the early access and I houseruled that PC's would recover legend when they take damage (only on the health levels everyone has) to allow them to do heroic push-backs. It worked well enough, but I still didn't feel it was ideal.

I think next time I am going to let them burn Momentum (like 3 for one legend) to gain Legend. Like you said, gaining legend by RAW breaks the flow of the game.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
I agree being fresh Legend 1 heroes it does suck for Legend use, and there should be a way to regain it in the midst of the action. That said, I did play a Legend 3-4 game recently and at that point it felt fine. I also was playing a Aesir hero with the Cast the Runes boon, which provides you a divined situation in which you get a free Legend imbue/spend, and that also helped a lot. The knacks that let you imbue legend for Feats of Scale instead of spend also helped a bunch. Having constant +2 Scale in certain situations was incredibly powerful.

I do think some of the boons are overpriced though, and marvels especially so as far as Legend spend costs. Marvels being only once per scene and always taking a simple action also doesn't make sense and sucks.

I'd consider adding Legend regain to Virtue mechanics. Take an action that aligns with your Virtue and shifts you on the track, instead of (or maybe in addition to) the 2-for-1 Momentum, you also regain a Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LimitedReagent posted:

The knacks that let you imbue legend for Feats of Scale instead of spend also helped a bunch. Having constant +2 Scale in certain situations was incredibly powerful.

I do think some of the boons are overpriced though, and marvels especially so as far as Legend spend costs. Marvels being only once per scene and always taking a simple action also doesn't make sense and sucks.

I'd consider adding Legend regain to Virtue mechanics. Take an action that aligns with your Virtue and shifts you on the track, instead of (or maybe in addition to) the 2-for-1 Momentum, you also regain a Legend.
Yeah, those knacks kind of seem like the reward for starting as a divine dirt-farmer, where the cool thing has added friction on it just so the removal of friction can be an upgrade.

I like the idea of making Legend regain hinge on Virtues, either 1:1 or bake it into the resolution of the Virtuous condition, so in effect, every time you take an action for each Virtue-pair, you get Legend back. Maybe coupled with making it so all(or at least most) Spend boons are instead Imbue for scene, and just leave some of the bigger marvel options (simple-action Attacking, Upheaval granting significant advantages or complications) and marvel-to-emulate-boon as Legend expenditures.