Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

I do get the feeling that the ending with William ending up in that defunct Cradle is just some cliffhanger they've puked out there without a second thought.

I'll have you know that Michael Crichton planned all of this 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I do get the feeling that the ending with William ending up in that defunct Cradle is just some cliffhanger they've puked out there without a second thought.

His reaction was gold though

Aw, gently caress. I knew it. I'm already in the thing, aren't I?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'd be happy for them to make a fresh start with the new season, don't need any further development on anything we saw in season 2. Just take the premise of synthetic humans living in secret in a cyberpunk future and tell some cool stories.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Didn't they already say that William scene is far into the future?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

esperterra posted:

Didn't they already say that William scene is far into the future?
I sure hope so. Not that they might get the idea to plot around some random bullshit they added for giggles.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I started rewatching season 2 with my friend who also loved season 1 but hasn’t seen 2 yet. We just finished episode 4, which is still fantastic. She keeps saying “I don’t know why everyone says season 2 is bad, I love it so far!” And I remember feeling that way at that point in the season too. It really feels like things are going to go in a great direction, but they never do. I told her not to hold her breath for the ending, but don’t want to say more than that because I don’t want to ruin the fun to be had leading up to it.

I will say that there are a lot more awesome scenes than I remember. I think memories of them have been overshadowed by how bad the last episode was. The main season arc is a mess and there’s definitely way too much screen time devoted to Dolores monologuing and Bernard being confused and distant, but the season is definitely not without several redeeming factors.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I felt something was very wrong with Season 2 from the get-go, though I didn't lose hope until a few episodes in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I unfollowed this thread before the first episode of S2 because I remembered how lame having all the twists in S1 spoiled for me felt and just binged the entire second season in like 2 days.

-Bernard is a total baby like 90% of the time
-Elsie noooooooooooooo
-the episode of Achinya or whatever the brave was named was incredible
-Teddy Nooooooooooooooooo! Leave my large adult son alone!
-Evil corporate lady getting murdered made me happy
-William literally went insane and became the devil, that owns, I really liked his daughter
-Shogun World seemed like an incredible waste of time and money and seemed to be a S1 episode stuck in S2
-British Guy dying for like, seriously, no reason at all made me unhappy and I didn’t even like the character
-The ending scene of S2 seems way more intriguing to me than the S3 trailer but I love Aaron Paul
-I think I do like that Dolores is a sympathetic villain but I don’t like the way they make her so spooky, she’d be scarier if she seemed less insane

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Please don’t discuss S2 itt. It was all just a bad dream.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bust Rodd posted:

-William literally went insane and became the devil, that owns, I really liked his daughter

Also that episode literally aired on Father's Day.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
S2 was a dumbass normie’s park play-through that we were all forced to watch.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

feedmyleg posted:

I felt something was very wrong with Season 2 from the get-go, though I didn't lose hope until a few episodes in.

Kiksuya is the only good episode in the season.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

dreffen posted:

Kiksuya is the only good episode in the season.

The Delos one was pretty good too. But yeah the Ghost Nation episode stands out head and shoulders above the rest. It’s a shame what they did with that at the end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like we need a new thread title (or a new thread for S3). Perhaps related to trains??

Anyway if you lovely goons have some good ideas or quotes lmk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The thread is going in the wrong direction

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
the hosts all got trolled into consciousness so delores will take the opposite tack and realise full luxury communism in order to short out the 50 lines of code that make up a human mind and thus mass genocide the oppressor class

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

esperterra posted:

I feel like we need a new thread title (or a new thread for S3). Perhaps related to trains??

Anyway if you lovely goons have some good ideas or quotes lmk

lol but posted:

the hosts all got trolled into consciousness so delores will take the opposite tack and realise full luxury communism in order to short out the 50 lines of code that make up a human mind and thus mass genocide the oppressor class

Hmmm, I think it’s too long. Nice try though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

lol but posted:

:sploosh:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

-Elsie noooooooooooooo

I'm still mad about Elsie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So much dumb poo poo. Just killing off characters because whatever, we’re rebooting this thing next season and Good TV means killing off main characters now because it trends

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Westworld’s most shocking moments that made our hearts stop... you won’t believe #3!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Professor Shark posted:

So much dumb poo poo. Just killing off characters because whatever, we’re rebooting this thing next season and Good TV means killing off main characters now because it trends

Oz did it first, and Oz did it best :colbert:

Fight me in the rigged boxing ring.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mulva posted:

The best way to play it is straight, where she's rebelling against 'humanity', which she's only really seen in the form of the oppressive ultra rich. Seeing actual people she has to acknowledge that they are just as abused and downtrodden as 'her' people are. Now what?
The real twist, for her, will be when her cover is blown and Aaron Paul realizes she's a robot instead of an inhuman facsimile of a person - and immediately starts acting less guarded around her because he doesn't see her as the enemy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It should be interesting if they play around with the lower class of humans basically being slaves like the robutts were in the park, cliche and overdone as that may sound to me as I type it out. But it would give the writers a lot of room to remember that Dolores exists in there with Wyatt and give us some conflict between her two personalities, which season 2 sorely lacked for me. Especially when they went out of their way to show that yes, Dolores is indeed still in there and does feel things, but then kind of went nowhere with it other than letting ERW actually act in like three of her scenes all season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The final sequence at the spirit canyon or whatever looked EXACTLY like the ‘climactic’ battles for LARPs at the end of a long weekend campaign. For some reason this season seemed sillier and I guess I didn’t take it as seriously?

Also I get that William is like totally nuts but they really make him a painless killing machine that seems to literally be a being a sheer determination to tell Anthony Hopkins “I win, you dick!” even though it’s like painfully clear Robert is toying with him posthumously so that means he had you completely figured out to the point where he doesn’t even need to be alive to beat you.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

still lollin' at maeve going thru shogun world in a story that mirrored her relationship with clementine, and then for clementine to basically be turned into a wmd against robutts and for them to not have an actual climactic face off with their wifi powers in the end lmbo gj writers

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I remember early in S1 Ford gave a little speech that essentially said humans had currently solved all their societal problems and that's why they had advanced entertainment like Westworld, which seemed like it cut off the possibility of the robots sympathizing with humans. It's good they can actually do a neat story about class struggle and I look forward to being disappointed by it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they did but then it turned to poo poo and Ford just never noticed because he never leaves the park.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the wealthy have always thought everything is fine when the world at the bottom is crumbling around them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It doesn't actually matter because if the writers want to write that story they'll just retcon/ignore Ford's remarks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

esperterra posted:

still lollin' at maeve going thru shogun world in a story that mirrored her relationship with clementine, and then for clementine to basically be turned into a wmd against robutts and for them to not have an actual climactic face off with their wifi powers in the end lmbo gj writers

Realizing they recycle story beats for different parks and the writer guy shrugging it off was the best thing in the season.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TK-42-1 posted:

the wealthy have always thought everything is fine when the world at the bottom is crumbling around them
Yeah, he's contradicted by the plot of S1, there's literally no reason to take him at his word.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

It should be interesting if they play around with the lower class of humans basically being slaves like the robutts were in the park, cliche and overdone as that may sound to me as I type it out. But it would give the writers a lot of room to remember that Dolores exists in there with Wyatt and give us some conflict between her two personalities, which season 2 sorely lacked for me. Especially when they went out of their way to show that yes, Dolores is indeed still in there and does feel things, but then kind of went nowhere with it other than letting ERW actually act in like three of her scenes all season.

I'd be down for a season-long love letter to Metropolis...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

Realizing they recycle story beats for different parks and the writer guy shrugging it off was the best thing in the season.

Actually I though the part where Hector goes off on him about how real his love is... only for the Author to finish his lines and basically really blows his mind was great acting on both him and Hector’s part.

The Japanese recreation of the bank heist was dope.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Shogun episodes could have been better if

a) they didn't gently caress around there for ages. i.e. it was just one episode
b) what they did was actually relevant to the season's character work, instead of telling a story about a bunch of rando strangers.

As it was, it was a two episode arc about alternate versions of our heroes being boring, while Maeve was stalled out because she was OP.

The Maeve stuff later owned though. Her fight with William was a pretty wonderful piece of catharsis, and I really liked the sequence where she's partially dissected on the table with Ford. Even her final battle with Clem was decent (though Esperterra is obviously right, in that they needed to thread the needle with Clementine and just didn't).

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'd be down for a season-long love letter to Metropolis...

I mean, that's the smart thing to do. Delores maps well onto Maria.

I'm still waiting for the Sam Esmail adaptation tbh.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 4, 2019

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Death of the writer dude was also one of the dumbest moments of the show, I honestly have no idea why they dragged him across two entire seasons for that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jeza posted:

Death of the writer dude was also one of the dumbest moments of the show, I honestly have no idea why they dragged him across two entire seasons for that.

Yeah why he and Elsie die but Blonde Security guy (Ashley?) lives is a loving travesty.

Also I get that Clementine was a decommissioned death walker or whatever but her increasingly looking more like poo poo over the course of the season really bothered me. She is so stiff and dead after being the most attractive and exciting female cast member that she just started bumming me out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Samurai World episode is perfectly indicative of the second season's problems. It throws out some neat ideas with really interesting philosophical ramifications and then completely and utterly fails to explore them, instead focusing on building up to a poorly shot and poorly conceived cowboy/ninja/samurai battle that just sidetracks the ongoing narrative.

Season 1 felt like it would have been concerned with the nature of one base consciousness splitting into two separate beings, the crisis of identity that would come along with realizing that your own self is not unique, the idea of nature and nurture pulling a single being in two directions and the different people they have become/different choices they would make, or the post-human, post-individualistic possibilities of such beings. The second season is happy leaving it at "Cool, right??" and giving us only the most surface version of that idea.

Same goes with the drones as a lobotomized, less-human subclass of host, same goes with AI consciousnesses not needing a physical world to maintain their way of life, same goes with every drat thing the season introduced.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

samurai world should have been a whole season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah why he and Elsie die but Blonde Security guy (Ashley?) lives is a loving travesty.

I do seriously wonder if the writers decided to make him a secret cylon so that they could giggle about how the only surviving non-cylon characters were Felix and Sylvester.