Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

atelier morgan posted:

if you want better spearmen have you considered joining the side of the righteous and donning the yellow turban

Man why would you use spearmen as turbans when you can use the glaive and bow dudes or the crossbow melee dudes? It's like having Lothern Seaguard in Three Kingdoms China.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

omg

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:allears: amazing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Well, if I die tonight I will be satisfied

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Sun Jian's mercenary troops are kinda nuts. Mercenary axes own.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I was having a fun time as Sun Jian engaging in solitary legend making in the South when over the course of 3 turns Yuan Shao did what he does and now the game is piss.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Was not expecting to see my post here. I was more proud of the caption I had on it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 4, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This and others have definitely been posted in this thread before but linking the dynasty warriors colour mod made me youtube dynasty warriors and it is so beautiful and there needs to be a dynasty warriors voice mod https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA08BJUtPo

E: also this, traitors https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beKu50RUS_Y

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

EthanSteele posted:

I was having a fun time as Sun Jian engaging in solitary legend making in the South when over the course of 3 turns Yuan Shao did what he does and now the game is piss.

Yuan Shao's coalition is pretty weak regardless of how widespread it is. Just fight back, most of the members won't bother to actually come after you, and you can rebuild relationships after the coalition is shattered.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

weird my game keeps crashing as soon as it finishes loading and also crashing random other applications

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

Man why would you use spearmen as turbans when you can use the glaive and bow dudes or the crossbow melee dudes? It's like having Lothern Seaguard in Three Kingdoms China.

i mean, i don't know?

but if youu wanted better spearmen they have them as well as everything else

i haven't ccounted but i wouldnt be surprised if thhere's more variety in thhe yellow turban unit list than the normal one and also their elites are way better

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yellow Turbans rule, especially after I found out they don't suffer attrition from not having any territory. I started a campaign with He Yi, built up my army and looted all the towns on my way to the sea, jumped on a boat and moved to southern China. After that it's been a very chill campaign of fighting notably less numerous locals in the south, settling abandoned territories and occasional raiding trips north to get that money.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

American Civil War game with this retinue system.

I would also like to see this game set in the American Civil War, however they should keep the duels.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can someone give me a rundown of what units are good? A lot of them are hidden so far into the research trees it's a hard sell to spend 40+ turns unlocking them just to find out. I'm not good enough at this game to figure it out from reading stats :(

I've had pretty good luck going for the Light Spear Infantry and the Bow/Glaive infantry in the Peasantry tree to make a line of rugged melee friends with some big-rear end bows to pick peasants off on the approach but I'm ready to expand my horizons.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Promethium posted:

There are probably many ways to play it but here's how I like to open:

Turn 1: Immediately dismiss the purple/green heroes who are not leading an army because you will not be able to afford a second army for a while, so there is no reason to keep paying them. On Romance you should be able take zero losses on the tutorial battle just by charging the archers with your cav heroes. Preferably keep Xun Yu alive so you can recruit him. Take the town.
Turn 2: Recruit an extra Hidden Axes unit and add Lu Zheng's default retinue to your army. This is all the army you will need (and can afford) at this point. Head towards the toolmaker but stay inside your province.
Turn 3: Take the tool province. You might be able to get a trade agreement with the faction to your south (Zhang Yang).
Turn 4: Move your army back towards the starting city. You do this to bait Dong Zhuo into attacking you right away instead of coming with a bigger stack later. If he thinks the settlement is garrisoned he will not attack it.
Turn 5: Dong Zhuo's army, led by Guo Si and Li Jue, should show up in the south, heading for the toolmaker. Do not reinforce yet, you want them to get closer. Position your army so that you can reinforce it at ambush range (75% of a full move distance) on the next turn.
Turn 6: Now move your army south to reinforce and end the turn in ambush. They should attack the workshop this turn, and you can easily beat them with the garrison's help.
Turn 7: If necessary, wipe out the remnants of the invading army. Dong will probably not bother you again before he gets Diaochan'd. Start heading north and recruit more units as much as you can afford. At least get a full contingent of archers under Lu Zheng.
Turn 8/9: Head north and take Yanmen while Zhang Yan is occupied to the east (the pin will tell you exactly where he is). He's going to come back for you through the forested mountain pass, so set your ambush there. His stack is larger than yours but has very little morale in a night ambush and will rout quickly against fire arrows. Once you beat his army you can clean up the rest of his settlements. At that point you're free from immediate threats and can start gobbling up nearby minor factions.

Thanks for this. The turns 1-7 worked great, but the ambush against Zhang Yan fails utterly every time I try. Fire arrows break his army but only for as long as my guys keep shooting, and only the units being shot. As soon as the fire debuff wears off they immediately recover and attack again. Meanwhile all the rest of his army wrecks mine. It's still better than I've done so far.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zurai posted:

Thanks for this. The turns 1-7 worked great, but the ambush against Zhang Yan fails utterly every time I try. Fire arrows break his army but only for as long as my guys keep shooting, and only the units being shot. As soon as the fire debuff wears off they immediately recover and attack again. Meanwhile all the rest of his army wrecks mine. It's still better than I've done so far.

Have you been knocking down all the enemy generals ASAP with Zheng Jiang? She absolutely wrecks face

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Zheng Jiang has to get in personally and murder enemy leadership early on to make headway. Thankfully, she's really good at it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

:vince:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Without equal.

Man, the Turbans are so shifted from the normal factions it's kinda awkward to play with. Ma Teng attacked me immediately on turn 2 and died for it and his faction followed two turns later.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Zurai posted:

it sounds like you need more cavalry to set up and exploit morale shock.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Uhhuh

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Azran posted:

I have no idea how someone could translate a novel as long as this one while using those names and then go "yes, this is fine".

And how no one in the meantime asked him why he was writing a parody.

find + replace in a word processor

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Yeah for some reason once the yellow turban rebels die and come back He Yi and pals lose the ability to peacefully annex territory from them. It’s kind of a pain.

E; also don’t right click the unit cards in your administrator’s retinue while looking at garrisons or the army ui breaks.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 4, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Who's got time to watch 42 minutes? Here's all you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_DB-WhbR4

Edit: Also, Cao Cao expansion for Warhammer confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Y4xeboilQ

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 4, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zane posted:

it sounds like you need more cavalry to set up and exploit morale shock.

I cannot afford cavalry in the first 10 turns of Zheng Jiang. Like it's literally too expensive. If I could afford quality troops I wouldn't have been asking for help.

Tarezax posted:

Have you been knocking down all the enemy generals ASAP with Zheng Jiang? She absolutely wrecks face

I tried in the ambush but A) they're spread out along the line, B) they're in among the troops so she gets bogged down fighting those, and C) Zhang Yan can actually do a ton of damage to her in return. I tried that fight 3 or 4 times changing various things and it never ended in anything but a pretty crushing defeat for me.

Anyway, I did manage to pull it out. I just stayed in the city and let Zhang Yan attack it then murdered his troops in the city defense, then went and conquered his Lumber Yard before he could get his army reformed. Now I'm just mopping up the nearby Han territories and demolishing Gan Gao who decided to declare war and move his troops to threaten my toolmaker and original town, then run out of supplies halfway to the town causing him to retreat back to his city, only to find out that Zheng Jiang's stack beat him there.

I'm pretty sure I'm secure enough now to take on anything short of a major coalition, and I have non-aggression pacts with the nearby big powers so I should be safe-ish from that for the moment. Thanks again, while the exact final step didn't work for me it did set me up to figure it out myself. Preemptively attacking Zhang Yan is absolutely the way to go here.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know if the repeating crossbowmen are bugged or something, like someone forgot to add a zero to some of their stats or whatever, but they are absolutely not worth it. Regular crossbows would be all-time MVPs if they worked with Flaming Arrows, but their repeating counterparts have almost no range, terrible damage, and seem to hate just shooting even with FAW toggled without constant micro; they're not just a pain on the field either, as they are also complete dogshit in auto-resolve.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Autism Sneaks posted:

I don't know if the repeating crossbowmen are bugged or something, like someone forgot to add a zero to some of their stats or whatever, but they are absolutely not worth it. Regular crossbows would be all-time MVPs if they worked with Flaming Arrows, but their repeating counterparts have almost no range, terrible damage, and seem to hate just shooting even with FAW toggled without constant micro; they're not just a pain on the field either, as they are also complete dogshit in auto-resolve.

They are a status affect unit that gives suppression. It's meant to spoil big charge based units. I never use them but they might be useful for high level play with a general giving them more ammo.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Zurai posted:

I cannot afford cavalry in the first 10 turns of Zheng Jiang. Like it's literally too expensive. If I could afford quality troops I wouldn't have been asking for help.
unlike previous poster i would not recommend additional hidden axes. they are a very specialized skirmisher/ambusher/flanker melee infantry unit. they have extremely bad armor and melee defense and suffer very badly in straightfoward frontline combat. you can afford the upkeep of almost 5 militia units for the upkeep of 2 hidden axes. the trick for most difficult early starts imo is to ensure you have significant cavalry superiority. militia are sturdy enough to hold the line against regulars -- for a limited time. if you have cavalry superiority and properly exploit it, if you destroy the enemy generals, and if you use night attack, you can win against 3:5 odds every time by breaking the enemy army well before your militia gives out.

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 4, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Man, Yellow Turban turns go by so fast without diplomacy. Already over 50 turns in two play sessions. Han Sui lost five armies and got defeated each time yet still came back.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Yellow Turbans rule, especially after I found out they don't suffer attrition from not having any territory. I started a campaign with He Yi, built up my army and looted all the towns on my way to the sea, jumped on a boat and moved to southern China. After that it's been a very chill campaign of fighting notably less numerous locals in the south, settling abandoned territories and occasional raiding trips north to get that money.

I started with Huang Zhao and like, I never got a single Heroic Victory throughout my entire liu bei campaign but staying on my feet in the early game required winning several without any cavalry available yet.

Now ofc the other big name turbans are my powerful vassal comrades who control their respective regions and we face off only against sun jian having unified basically all of china below the yangtze and the shu territories...just as the first generation of turbans are dying left and right to old age

protip as a yellow turban, you don't pay your officers. you have no reason not to hire everyone. you'll appreciate it when every lost battle or cornered stack means you lose two or three (their split stat focus means they become legendary less often to survive and escape, and they can't ever turn coat so the AI sees less reason to let them live), you don't ever get more uniques and basically only get generics to spawn by winning battles. They're also very, very powerful and a massive upgrade from a yellow turban captain even without the fact that your captains can't upgrade retinues to use your (extremely good and vitally important) elite troops

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So the artwork for your characters facial expressions changes based on their satisfaction level right? I'm not just imagining that?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the artwork for your characters facial expressions changes based on their satisfaction level right? I'm not just imagining that?

Yes. Their pose can change too. Chinese modders made a tool to unpack stuff and all the character portraits are composed of separate torso, arms, head, legs and accessory bits that change depending on mood and I think gear too.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My favourite campaign so far is definitely Kong Rong. It's rated as Hard but I reckon it should be Easy. You just stack food production and pop growth buildings everywhere, then start getting trade monopolies as your income skyrockets. Their unique crossbow units are badass, they absolutely shred just about everything.

You can also leverage your trade influence to give out loans to the AI. You can offer a lump sum in exchange for gold per turn, but get more back than you gave. You can also sign food deals with all the extra food you have, then end it the next turn. You can use this method to buy entire provinces as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What does pop growth actually do?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What does pop growth actually do?

Makes your settlements grow faster. Higher populations give bonuses to unit replenishment and income. And penalties to public order.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

sassassin posted:

Makes your settlements grow faster. Higher populations give bonuses to unit replenishment and income. And penalties to public order.

Specifically it's peasantry income, so as Ma Teng I've almost completely ignored population in my silk and mining commanderies. For someone like Cao Cao sitting on all that farmland peasant income though it can be very lucrative.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Update is out in beta for Yuan Shao vassalage nerfs and some bugs fixes.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1135841047370772480

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

You also need to have a minimum population to upgrade iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

You also need to have a minimum population to upgrade iirc.

Never noticed this, but I've never rushed settlement development.