Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Das Boo posted:

The Little Nemo NES game stands as some of my favorite and most nostalgic game music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLxtNeBjRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX75X2fOwpw

I have a stronger connection to this and the Black Cauldron game than I do to their respective movies. I also wore out a Little Nemo VHS but as a kid I treated it like, "They made a cartoon off this game I love!"

The Black Cauldron just fuckin' makes me sad. The Chronicles of Prydain is such a fun, goofy, and happy heroes' journey, and The Black Cauldron is the exact opposite of it. It's a completely different story. It's still decent, but it's a shame that it's the closest that the books have ever gotten to being turned into a movie. They were my favorite books growing up, and I wish they'd get more exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Ursula one is so good

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Iago looks an awful lot like Locke from FFVI

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not that actually is a dating sim, TBH. (...That's all I have to say on the matter.)

I know this has been brought up before, but I was perusing my decades-old MP3 collection and noticed an Anastasia song, and suddenly remembered that that film, which people mistook for Disney back in the day, literally is Disney now. I don't expect they're gonna treat it particularly differently, but it's nifty that it went full circle like that (if also horrifying for the usual "Disney is getting too drat big" reasons).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's basically an entire genre of games that exist to be plausibly deniable dating sims.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that rules

it also rules that I am envisioning gilbert gottfried's voice coming out of that anime boy

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Jungle Book animation chat, the original book is one of my most favorite books ever. I have really love-hate feelings about the work of Chuck Jones, but his Mowgli's Brothers and Riki-Tiki-Tavi are masterpieces.

https://archive.org/details/mowglisbrothers_201706

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Simpsons is an odd case where they started out being more 60s style (with Marge as an exaggerated 60s housewife) but turned out to settle well into modernity. And also Itchy and Scratchy is specifically presented as a cartoon short within Krusty's live action kids show (much like The Simpsons started out as shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show), just to be even more retro, though if anything Itchy and Scratchy was oddly prescient given Ren and Stimpy just a few years later. (Though it was actually based more specifically on Herman and Katnip, which was basically a more violent and crazy Tom and Jerry, and given just a bit more exaggeration)

I think you can go through any children's media and see the same effect, with everything being vaguely retro compared to the actual time it was released. About things like school specifically. (also everyone is in highschool no matter what grade they are in, because people have better memories of what high school was like than grade school so every school is a high school. Everyone goes to their 2nd grade locker before 2nd grade prom)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you can go through any children's media and see the same effect, with everything being vaguely retro compared to the actual time it was released. About things like school specifically. (also everyone is in highschool no matter what grade they are in, because people have better memories of what high school was like than grade school so every school is a high school. Everyone goes to their 2nd grade locker before 2nd grade prom)

I think at this point a lot of shows do it on purpose, or sidestep it as best they can with not showing the mundanities of life or having kids in an unusual upbringing. Ed Edd n Eddy had a deliberately anachronistic and ambiguously retro theme to it, though the idea of a bunch of kids living around a cul de sac spending most of their time playing outside is definitely very 80s at best.

It's taken them quite a while to realise that kids don't read comic books anymore. The Simpsons basically only gets away with it through grandfather clause since it first aired when kids DID still read comics before the great crash and the industry basically killed its own market. Again, I think Steven Universe sidesteps this since Steven seems to get most of his stuff as hand-me-downs. (and Amethyst has a lot old stuff from her perpetual adolescence) The new DuckTales also circumvents it with Launchpad getting people into the Darkwing Duck show through his old VHS tape. (I think it's implied that, much like a lot of 90s shows, it was never made available on DVD)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think at this point a lot of shows do it on purpose,

I imagine it'd be almost impossible to really avoid. Writers are always going to have been kids in the past and are always going to model childhood on their childhood. I think a writer can work on focusing on the things that are universal but it's always going to leak in a little bit that it's an adult writing from memory, not an actual kid's current lived experiance in the time period the show is airing. It's not even really bad that it happens, the alternative where every show was trying to chase fidget spinners and fortnite to "connect with the kids" would be unbearable and it's kinda good everything is set in some weird era years after what mattered and didn't got settled by time.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(also everyone is in highschool no matter what grade they are in, because people have better memories of what high school was like than grade school so every school is a high school. Everyone goes to their 2nd grade locker before 2nd grade prom)

highschool offers more independence and more stock plots to use. sure it makes no sense why 4th graders have lockers to get stuffed in by the class bully and hey wait who decided Romeo and Juliet was suitable for elementary school students but the alternative is limiting. whispering about the big boring christmas play where everyone has exactly one line as they walk single file to the Media Center isn't really thrilling television. older kids are cool because they get to stay up late and go places all by themselves.

speaking of stock plots, its really funny to think of all those stories about home-ec classes being made to take care of flowersack babies and being afraid of woodshop class. boy did i have a wrong impression of high school.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Neon Noodle posted:

Jungle Book animation chat, the original book is one of my most favorite books ever. I have really love-hate feelings about the work of Chuck Jones, but his Mowgli's Brothers and Riki-Tiki-Tavi are masterpieces.

https://archive.org/details/mowglisbrothers_201706

god I've been looking for riki-tiki-tavi but I only found small parceled out clips back when Youtube had a tiny-rear end limit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LoseHound posted:

highschool offers more independence and more stock plots to use. sure it makes no sense why 4th graders have lockers to get stuffed in by the class bully and hey wait who decided Romeo and Juliet was suitable for elementary school students but the alternative is limiting. whispering about the big boring christmas play where everyone has exactly one line as they walk single file to the Media Center isn't really thrilling television. older kids are cool because they get to stay up late and go places all by themselves.

speaking of stock plots, its really funny to think of all those stories about home-ec classes being made to take care of flowersack babies and being afraid of woodshop class. boy did i have a wrong impression of high school.

I think a key thing is that it's also specifically an adaptation of the writers' childhoods, which are frequently sheltered middle to upper-middle class suburban white people.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 4, 2019

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you can go through any children's media and see the same effect, with everything being vaguely retro compared to the actual time it was released. About things like school specifically. (also everyone is in highschool no matter what grade they are in, because people have better memories of what high school was like than grade school so every school is a high school. Everyone goes to their 2nd grade locker

LoseHound posted:

highschool offers more independence and more stock plots to use. sure it makes no sense why 4th graders have lockers

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure exactly when I got a locker, but I'm confident I had one in the fourth grade, and I'm pretty sure I had one in the second grade. I'm pretty sure I even had one in the first grade. Maybe you're actually the ones misremembering what childhood is like? I associate "not old enough to have a locker yet" with preschool and kindergarten. Or maybe we just had very different experiences as children. :shrug:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I didn’t get a locker until 9th grade. Before that, you just kept all your poo poo piled into your desk and hung your coat on a peg outside the classroom.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

21 Muns posted:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure exactly when I got a locker, but I'm confident I had one in the fourth grade, and I'm pretty sure I had one in the second grade. I'm pretty sure I even had one in the first grade. Maybe you're actually the ones misremembering what childhood is like? I associate "not old enough to have a locker yet" with preschool and kindergarten. Or maybe we just had very different experiences as children. :shrug:

I am sure every school is different, but most elementary school kids at least have a single teacher for all core subjects then only leave the classroom for art/music/gym and just have desks to keep their stuff. It's only later grades that have kids traveling class to class and subject to subject and having lockers and each kid going to different stuff.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Yeah I got my first locker in 6th grade.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wdarkk posted:

Yeah I got my first locker in 6th grade.
In Americaland, 6th Grade is Babby's First High School Scenario, so they're really just getting you used to losing the combo or getting it jammed or being late because stuff.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I must be a late bloomer, I didn't get a locker until 7th grade and the start of middle school. I think. At any rate that's when I started having multiple teachers dedicated to a single subject instead of one teacher encompassing all subjects...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, it really depends on the school. I didn't have one in elementary. They had some at my junior high, but not nearly enough for all 2000 of us (with the exception of gym lockers). I finally got one in high school, but it was one of those half-sized lockers rather than the ones that go from ceiling to floor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never used my locker in high school. Never saw the point. Years of elementary and middle school had broken in my back so much that I was used to lugging fifty pounds of books and a trumpet.

Someone puked into the locker above my friend's and the puke got all over his stuff and the school made him pay for the damage despite it not being his fault.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So wreck it wralph 2 is a non ironic emoji movie huh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's hell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Aren't brands great and isn't it totally normal to prepare kids to have a permanent search history that will follow them their entire life and That's Good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I hate every single one of these gorgeously designed and animated characters with jaw dropping facial animations and expressions

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it’s great when you poo poo all over that movie and someone chimes in with “oh but those princess scenes were really funny” and you can immediately cross off anything they’ve ever recommended to watch

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never used my locker in high school. Never saw the point. Years of elementary and middle school had broken in my back so much that I was used to lugging fifty pounds of books and a trumpet.

and my school was four stories (including a basement level for classes), with a separate building for gym/music, and we were about 2x the designed limit it was made for (1000 students, and we had 2000), so very few people used lockers because it could be:

Locker 2nd floor, all your classes are on the 3rd, 1st, basement, and gym - and you only get five minutes, and you're pushing through the crowd like a salmon trying to jump up the falls. Most of us saw no point in risking getting late to class.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just couldn't bring myself to watch WiR2. The concept just was so incredibly distinctly unappealing to me on a visceral level. Maybe it's actually super good? Hell if I know.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ImpAtom posted:

I just couldn't bring myself to watch WiR2. The concept just was so incredibly distinctly unappealing to me on a visceral level. Maybe it's actually super good? Hell if I know.

It’s not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Just watch the youtube videos of the Princess scenes which are fine and at least have cool costuming choices. The weirdness of a Disney musical number that takes place in a thinly disguised GTA Online is also fine.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I actually couldn't finish watching it. Turned it off at the princesses part. It was just unbearable on a visceral level

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ralph 2 is the only movie my daughter's ever asked me to turn off. She liked the princesses though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah all I really take away from anyone's comments on WiR2 is "Disney could probably make bank over a giant Disney Princess crossover film."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah all I really take away from anyone's comments on WiR2 is "Disney could probably make bank over a giant Disney Princess crossover film."

Just make a TV show that's Seinfeld with Disney princesses.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Once Upon A Time was also a thing I didn't watch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

It's terrible but the thread liked it.

Pick from the last thread posted:

Wreck It Ralph 2 is the most creatively bankrupt film I have ever seen in my entire life. I have absolutely nothing positive to say about it whatsoever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the relationship between Ralph and Venellope is also a bit weird, not off-putting, but unclear.

I think in the original film, Ralph is depicted as an adult and Venellope is depicted as kid, so their relationship is sort of paternal by nature. And that kind of makes sense because Felix who reads as Ralph's peer adopts the other racer kids as children. It also really, really makes sense for the plot of the film for Ralph to basically be Venellope's dad because the movie is about Ralph being overbearing and not accepting Venellope moving beyond the arcade. That makes a lot of sense... I mean especially considering it's the plot for at least three of the featured Disney Princesses.

But instead theymake the relationship as buddies which both means treating Venellope kind of like an adult but also really infantilizing Ralph at times to make him a kid. It's an odd dynamic that ends up muddying the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I like product

Nourish me Disney daddy