Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The Texas/Louisiana region is full of small chains that specialize in fried chicken and Raising Cane's is one of the worst, so of course it's the one that goes national

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

The Texas/Louisiana region is full of small chains that specialize in fried chicken and Raising Cane's is one of the worst, so of course it's the one that goes national

If something goes national it's guaranteed to be the worst. You need to cut corners to get that sweet economy of scale going.

And yeah, the chicken is just... fine. If you don't like the sauce there's no reason to go there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Be where I live, with visitors, a temperate climate: blazing hot

Visit home, a notorious oven: freezing rain, huge hail, tornados

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YouTube's newish "Premiere" feature. Specifically the way it's broken their RSS feeds. You see a video show up in your RSS reader so you click it only to get a screen that tells you that the video won't actually be available to watch for.... six hours; two days; whatever. It undermines the whole reason I subscribed to the feed in the first place, which is to find out when there are videos I can watch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

YouTube's newish "Premiere" feature. Specifically the way it's broken their RSS feeds. You see a video show up in your RSS reader so you click it only to get a screen that tells you that the video won't actually be available to watch for.... six hours; two days; whatever. It undermines the whole reason I subscribed to the feed in the first place, which is to find out when there are videos I can watch.

I'm half convinced at this point that YouTube is a social engineering experiment in seeing just how unpleasant you can make every ancillary aspect of using a good core service. Like the time Facebook intentionally crippled their mobile app to see how much their users would put up with, only on a larger scale.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I started going to a weekly AA meeting thats in the basement of a church nearby where I live. Its really nice, I like the people and its a small enough group where you can get to know each other well but big enough to keep it interesting with new people every now and then, like ten or so. Except this one lady has started bringing her crying baby to every meeting and its so distracting and feels kind of rude for the speakers who have to talk over the baby noises the whole time. This woman was using during her pregnancy up until 12 days before it was born because she didn't know she was pregnant, but says that since having this kid, its 'saved' her and gives her a reason to live and yadda yadda. Thats great and everything, but its starting to get on my nerves that every meeting, we have to politely ignore this constant baby noise. She tries shushing it or rocking it in the baby carrier but the random screams make it hard to concentrate on what people are saying. Another woman also brought her kid but he was like 3 or 4 so he was thankfully silent and that didn't bother me. But is it so much to ask that maybe she leave the kid with the family for an hour a week, or wait until they are out of that age range before bringing him back? I know the meetings are important for her too, but when you are feeling on edge already, the crying can really be distracting. I don't know how to bring this up delicately so I guess I just have to suffer until someone else hopefully says something. I really like the group otherwise so I would hate to stop going or having to switch, so i am at an impasse. Oh well.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When you’re trying to walk up or down stairs and there’s a group of people who form a line from rail to rail who get annoyed someone is going the other direction.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cinni posted:

This woman was using during her pregnancy up until 12 days before it was born because she didn't know she was pregnant

wait what

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

bobjr posted:

When you’re trying to walk up or down stairs and there’s a group of people who form a line from rail to rail who get annoyed someone is going the other direction.

This applies to literally any group of people occupying a narrow walking space. God help you if you get in the way of the old ladies walking group in my neighborhood. But at least those ones use the sidewalks, there are other small groups that just walk in the middle of the street for some unfathomable reason.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

wait what

Yeah its a thing apparently, it also happened to another friend of mine. She had bad gas pains and went to the ER and found out she was in fact in labor and pop instant baby! I don't know any other details besides that, but she was pretty chunky and Ive heard that you can still lightly spot even while pregnant so maybe she just assumed she was having really light periods or something, I don't know, but yeah its possible to not know your own body enough to realize you've been harboring an infant stowaway for the last nine months. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who take a picture of you, then force you to look at the picture

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

People who take a picture of you, then force you to look at the picture

Theme park photographers. You can tell them you don't want one all you want, they'll just say "you don't have to buy it, no pressure! you might change your mind later!".

Maybe I could understand people buying their super expensive pictures back when cameras were lovely, but now I just don't understand why they still exist (aside from the rollercoaster pictures which at least you can't do yourself, even if they are still pretty stupid to buy imho). It must be one of the more soul crushing jobs there, aggressively shilling a product almost nobody is going to want and will hate you for putting them on the spot.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

docbeard posted:

I'm half convinced at this point that YouTube is a social engineering experiment in seeing just how unpleasant you can make every ancillary aspect of using a good core service. Like the time Facebook intentionally crippled their mobile app to see how much their users would put up with, only on a larger scale.

Would not at all surprise me, considering I can't use Youtube to listen to music while I draw/play games/basically do anything on my laptop any more without it pausing every other song and forcing me to have to go to the tab and confirm that yes, Youtube, I WOULD like this music I was listening to to continue playing! I'm sure you currently have a terrible, terrible crisis of people leaving videos on and not actually watching them to give artificial views or something but if you could gently caress off with that then that'd be grand

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I don't know how to best generalize this behavior into a concise pet peeve, but I was camping over the weekend in the space next to this loud family with annoying kids. One afternoon their gigantic SUV was just sitting there idling for a full 30 minutes. I decided to mention it partly in case it was an accident, and partly as a passive-aggressive way to indicate it was a minor nuisance:

Me: Hey, your car is running
Them: Yeah, we're charging our phones :downs:

And some great quotes from the same family:

"It's really dumb they don't allow generators at this campground"
"Real camping like this is how it should be" (I have no idea what fake camping is if real camping is sleeping in a 20-foot camper in a tightly-packed drive-in site while using your car as the world's least efficient phone charger)

And for some reason, as they were packing up to leave in the morning, they turned their car on and let it idle the entire time they packed up. Even if you don't believe you're being irresponsible to the planet, you're still wasting your own money. I guess my pet peeve is camping next to people that I don't like.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Inspector 34 posted:

This applies to literally any group of people occupying a narrow walking space. God help you if you get in the way of the old ladies walking group in my neighborhood. But at least those ones use the sidewalks, there are other small groups that just walk in the middle of the street for some unfathomable reason.

The highschool kids around my neighborhood, instead of going to classes, walk six abreast on sidestreets and pretend they don't know what an approaching car looks like.

Then when they finally open up a tiny space, they stare in your windows all alien-like. It's honestly not even human feeling, it reminds me of those Black Eyed Kid myths.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

The highschool kids around my neighborhood, instead of going to classes, walk six abreast on sidestreets and pretend they don't know what an approaching car looks like.

Then when they finally open up a tiny space, they stare in your windows all alien-like. It's honestly not even human feeling, it reminds me of those Black Eyed Kid myths.

The younger kids in my apartment complex drive me nuts when I'm trying to drive through the parking lot. They're everywhere and just playing in the lot like it's no big deal. The worst is when they come flying out, stop when they see you, then just keep going.

My parking lot has a turnabout in the center, and several spokes that lead out to the different sections. It probably wouldn't be so bad if the kids didn't congregate at the central hub at all times, or at the bottle necks between spokes. There's plenty of ends of the lot, go play there, so I don't have to worry about hitting you dammit.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We live in a cul-de-sac with a bunch of young families and a ton of kids. For the most part they've all been great but last Summer a new family moved in with 3 kids of their own and they just couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that the cul-de-sac is still an active street and the kids need to get out of the way of traffic.

My wife approached them the day after one of their kids was riding circles around her car on his bike while she was trying to exit the neighborhood and another darted out from between two parked cars and nearly got hit. She was pretty freaked out at the possibility of hitting one of these kids so she probably didn't have a very friendly tone when she went to talk to the parents.

What she meant was, "Your kids are scaring the poo poo out if me and are going to cause an accident."

I think what they heard was, "If your kids keep playing on our street I'm going to run them down in cold blood."

They made a bunch of excuses about how they're glad to be out of apartment complexes and have room to play and they're ALWAYS in the driveway supervising (they're not) and hadn't seen anything like what she described and the one kid has some sort of developmental disability and and and and...

Thankfully this year has been so much better so far, but school is out after this week so maybe it's just the calm before the storm.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jun 4, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I too wish real life was like Ed Edd n Eddy but alas...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Everyone driving cars is the problem and the kids know, gently caress cars.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You're not wrong, the peeve is more on the parents anyway.

"Help me to not kill your kids!"

"Pffft you're on your own, idiot."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
During lunch in high school a lot of us went across the street to eat. Rather than waiting at the crosswalk we would just surge forth in a tide of teenagers and dare anyone to become known as the driver who plowed into ten kids.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I won't run people like that over (even though I'd argue I should be allowed to as long as I pay for the repairs on my car myself) but I'll definitely lay on the horn until you get out of the loving way.

If anything it probably makes them intentionally walk slower, but at least I feel like my annoyance was expressed and acknowledged.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I won't run people like that over (even though I'd argue I should be allowed to as long as I pay for the repairs on my car myself) but I'll definitely lay on the horn until you get out of the loving way.

If anything it probably makes them intentionally walk slower, but at least I feel like my annoyance was expressed and acknowledged.

You can slip into neutral and rev the engine too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

You can slip into neutral and rev the engine too

I drive a hybrid so that probably wouldn't sound too threatening.

I just like to honk my horn. I know you're "supposed" to only use it in emergencies but it's the only way to make sure the message ("gently caress you") is transmitted. They might not see you flipping them off and they might be too far away by the time you roll your window down to yell at them, but they'll hear the horn.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Steam wishlist page, dam it if i'm checking out a game on it and press back why are you taking me to the top of the list again! I want to keep browsing my other games! gently caress you steam!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Midwest near-summer weather sucks.

"poo poo, it's raining, guess I'll do that Outside Stuff tomorrow."
"gently caress, it's like 90 degrees and muggy, I'll do the Outside Stuff tommorow."
"OK how the everloving christ is it drizzly and 60 degrees out, I'd say I'll do that stuff tommorow but we both know the weather ain't going to just be average everything?"

I just want to do some rollerskating. :(

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i got headache, tunnel vision and loss of fine motor skills after spending 35 minutes driving a car that had had an ozone generator run inside it overnight and was not aired out at all before i had to drive it. my boss thinks i was being hyperdramatic and made me do it again today. i kept hoping I'd actually black out and loving die tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

i got headache, tunnel vision and loss of fine motor skills after spending 35 minutes driving a car that had had an ozone generator run inside it overnight and was not aired out at all before i had to drive it. my boss thinks i was being hyperdramatic and made me do it again today. i kept hoping I'd actually black out and loving die tbh

Oh of course, because prolonged ozone exposure is absolutely harmless and a quick Google search will confirm that :rolleyes:

Bosses should die

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

You forgot "I'll clean out the gutters tomorrow when it isn't so intensely hot. Oh, poo poo, it's snowing."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You forgot "I'll clean out the gutters tomorrow when it isn't so intensely hot. Oh, poo poo, it's snowing."

That's winter or near-winter. Like, say, promising yourself (and your partner) you'll take out the garbage when it's not snowing... and next day it's suddenly warm enough to drizzle uncomfortably AND all the snow is melting into oceans.

:negative:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
9 degrees hotter in Omaha today then in Miami.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MisterBibs posted:

"poo poo, it's raining, guess I'll do that Outside Stuff tomorrow."
"gently caress, it's like 90 degrees and muggy, I'll do the Outside Stuff tommorow."
"OK how the everloving christ is it drizzly and 60 degrees out, I'd say I'll do that stuff tommorow but we both know the weather ain't going to just be average everything?"

I just want to do some rollerskating. :(

That’s just weather everywhere that isn’t tropical or Mediterranean I’m pretty sure. Like people in Texas, Ontario, Quebec, NYC, Missouri, and fuckin France are all like “gently caress it was hot now it’s cold now it’s hot again,” just swap the various ideas of “hot” and “cold” and when summer starts.

Also peeve: posting while blazed and then finding posts that are bad even by my own standards getting quoted. You’d think I would learn but nope still a dumbass

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s just weather everywhere that isn’t tropical or Mediterranean I’m pretty sure. Like people in Texas, Ontario, Quebec, NYC, Missouri, and fuckin France are all like “gently caress it was hot now it’s cold now it’s hot again,” just swap the various ideas of “hot” and “cold” and when summer starts.

Also peeve: posting while blazed and then finding posts that are bad even by my own standards getting quoted. You’d think I would learn but nope still a dumbass

Oh man, the shock I see sometimes when I scroll down a thread and see the yellow quote box. I'm like who the gently caress wrote this lmao

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Oh man, the shock I see sometimes when I scroll down a thread and see the yellow quote box. I'm like who the gently caress wrote this lmao

I have that "bookmark threads you post in" thing turned on and yeah it can get weird sometimes.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I re-read any post I make, and often notice little errors in grammar or spelling, then try to edit it before anyone notices.

The thing below this sentence usually gives it away though.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jun 6, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just do what I do when I wake up hung over and see a wall of yellow in a thread - immediately close it, don't look at it for a couple days and then click last post and hope they're still not talking about it and pretend it never happened.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

One time I was terrified because like ten people quoted me immediately after I posted and I woke up the next day thinking I'd supported terrorism or something.

Thankfully I made a terrible pun and it was a bunch of emptyquotes. Still creepy, but good?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The worst is when you see your post quoted like a day or two later, see a typo, and now your typo is both preserved and fixing it adds the notice.

There's no escape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody remembers your posts around here after a few days so it's ok to shitpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The worst is when you see your post quoted like a day or two later, see a typo, and now your typo is both preserved and fixing it adds the notice.

There's no escape.

Twitch. Nightmare fuel.