Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mighty Dicktron posted:

lol at the idea that star citizen, a project that has squandered tens of millions of dollars, is anything resembling a successful crowdfunding campaign

SC is very successful at continuing to drain a bunch of rubes of a lot of money and providing top quality humor. You couldn't ask for a better crowdfunding campaign.

Rhopunzel posted:

All of these systems sound...interesting in theory at least, but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed them. All I really wanted in a Barkley sequel was a slightly more polished Barkley 1. I understand you guys wanted to not just make a funny game, but a good funny game but I'd have felt like it was missing the point of what made people love the first game. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

Nah, the ideas they had sound really neat but at the end of the day that's all any of us wanted, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I. M. Gei posted:

I haven’t followed Barkley 2 at all but is there any reason somebody else couldn’t just... take the major ideas from this dead game and start the project over from scratch?

it likely depends on the copyright status of the game assets, and the contracts signed between the ToG corporate owner and all the other people who worked on the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I'm just happy people are breaking their silences. I don't really need the game to be finished. I'm just glad the bandaid has been ripped off and people can like... go back to doing things without being asked about Barkley. You guys did enough, it was a failed Kickstarter and that's that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shinjobi posted:

I don't want the game to be finished. Let it be the lesson learned, don't loving chain yourselves to an idea from 6 years ago, move on and do better things.

Any ideas that worked and worked well can just be used in other projects. Let Hoopz die. He's earned it.

Also zaubers
Reading the Kickstarter update gave me this visceral primal negative reaction unlike anything in this magical thread. The last thing I want is for more money and grief to be poured down the hole.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it likely depends on the copyright status of the game assets, and the contracts signed between the ToG corporate owner and all the other people who worked on the game

"Ideas" aren't "assets". You can't copyright gameplay systems, for the most part. As long as someone doesn't outright copy/paste the plot/setting/names/etc., they absolutely could make a game with all the gameplay ideas here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm gonna eat a chicken fry.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Ideas" aren't "assets". You can't copyright gameplay systems, for the most part. As long as someone doesn't outright copy/paste the plot/setting/names/etc., they absolutely could make a game with all the gameplay ideas here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy#Development

quote:

The core gameplay of Katamari Damacy is the subject of U.S. Patent 7,402,104, "Game performing method, game apparatus, storage medium, data signal and program". The patent, issued in 2009, primarily describes how the game maintains the roughly spherical nature of the katamari when objects are picked up, though extends to concepts such as tracking objects collected based on temperature or weight values, which were modes included with later games of the series.[11][12]

But this is a very uncommon occurence and it's unlikely any of Barkley 2's systems were patented in the manner Katamari's were.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

you're a Video Games Lawyer, eh

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can I get a link to this RPG you're working on that everyone's looking forward to now that The Hoopz Barkley SaGa is no more?
Its a survival horror RPG. I stream game dev on it most nights on twitch.
There isnt a link really, its not announced yet and doesnt have an official title, but I have a publisher, some budget and some sort of micro-teaser thing should be happening pretty soon, the official announcement should follow not too long after.

If you search for "weekendRPG" on tumblr you can probably find a bunch of sprites I posted there.
I used to work on it on the weekends while working on Barkley during the week, thats where that working title comes from. I started working on it full time last october.

It plays like a classic turn based RPG kind of game, you are exploring a cursed city full of spooky monsters. Its absolutely nothing like Barkley.
If you ever heard of the obscure Famicom game Sweet Home, that's my biggest inspiration.
Monsters move closer to you during battle, becoming more dangerous. Lots of focus on building a party from NPCs you meet and with resource management.
Neonlare (who did some work on Barkley2, and is now working on a game called Nanokin) composed most of the music for it so far.
Cboyardee and Askii(who made Katana Zero) are all composing music for it as well, and Scarodactyl here started drawing some tile art for it a little while ago. A few more people are lined up to contribute.

Ill post significant news about it on my twitter when the time comes. https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy#Development

But this is a very uncommon occurence and it's unlikely any of Barkley 2's systems were patented in the manner Katamari's were.

Well, yeah, I said "for the most part"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're a Video Games Lawyer, eh

Yes, I played Pheonix Wright.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
This looks hell of cool, especially love your monster designs.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Modus Pwnens posted:

I went from disappointed, to "yeah, okay, the project sounded like a mess," and now full circle to, "dang Barkley 2 sounded great"

If I could pay another $10 to chain you to this hell for another six years I'd do it but I suppose that would be cruel

they are cool ideas but the thing about cool ideas is that they're just fun and interesting in a periphery sense. fun gameplay rarely comes about from cool ideas instead of maybe one fun idea implemented with precision, and then iterated on.

like doom, the cool ideas that make it doom is stolen rock music, demons, crazy guns, blood, chainsaws, and the doomguy making faces. then there's the not cool ideas that are still super important to the gameplay loop; pickup sounds, level plotting, game speed, ui design. and then at the core you have poo poo like "responsive controls", "intuitive gameplay", "being actually fun"; there's nothing to Idea Guys about here beyond like, is there shooting? is it a platformer? what do you want to do? what do you want to feel? you can't really directly address this part and go "here's the outline and the pseudocode for it" even, but unless its there, and good, you just don't have a game.

like the correct design process for a 2d shooter arpg is to lock all the ideas in a lead box and just make something simple, playable, and fun even when its all programmer art and the enemies are just dots that wiggle randomly. like a Mario level with nothing but immobile black platforms on a white background that you then demand to be fun and good before iterating anything, instead of hoping it comes together later. its insanely soul crushingly uninteresting to do and not that fun to see or hear about either.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also gently caress corporate quote buttons

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

also gently caress corporate quote buttons

poo poo SA was Corporate Attitude all along.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

The sheer absurdity of Barkley 2 as it was being made was beyond my imagining. Thank you guys for writing these insider posts. I would love to see more info if you have any.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

I don't think anyone is happy about what happened. I have to wonder how much money you spent on the game to make you so bitter after all these years. You make it sound like Barkley 2 ruined your life or something.

It didn't, but it definitely ruined the lives of every fuckup who pledged themselves to it and will never ever be able to escape the stink of failure surround it. Chefboyardee deleted all of his videos years ago but he's still known as the guy who made a bunch of videos about how mass shootings are epic and ftw and similarly nobody involved with this game will ever escape the stigma of being The Guy Who Worked Without Pay For Years or The Guy Who Blew Six Figures On Nothing.

If you're smart you will throw the entire project under the bus and prostrate yourself before the masses if you ever hope to work in this field again, and if not start working on building up a new alias and praying to the gods that nobody will recognize you as one of crowdfunding's biggest and most infamous fails.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sleeveless posted:

It didn't, but it definitely ruined the lives of every fuckup who pledged themselves to it and will never ever be able to escape the stink of failure surround it. Chefboyardee deleted all of his videos years ago but he's still known as the guy who made a bunch of videos about how mass shootings are epic and ftw and similarly nobody involved with this game will ever escape the stigma of being The Guy Who Worked Without Pay For Years or The Guy Who Blew Six Figures On Nothing.

If you're smart you will throw the entire project under the bus and prostrate yourself before the masses if you ever hope to work in this field again, and if not start working on building up a new alias and praying to the gods that nobody will recognize you as one of crowdfunding's biggest and most infamous fails.

Your gimmick sucks, bud.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
what year is it where we're still describing things as "fail"

like yeah the whole thing's morbidly interesting but it's nowhere near on the level as say, the yogscast game or star citizen

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Memnaelar posted:

Your gimmick sucks, bud.

le epic not giving failures and con artists carte blanche to run off with money because they posted a few jepgs of concept art and transcribed their epic idea guys ideas from half a decade ago gimmick, brought to you by the brain geniuses who worked themselves into prodromal mental illness over getting bored of bethesda games after 200 hours

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are trying way way too hard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Uhhh what the gently caress

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Bisse posted:

okay

After two years, combat was still not fun

:allears: Incredible. Dev stuff reads like a dead explorers journal. Worth my $10.
Hope all the pieces get released eventually.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sleeveless posted:

You need a wedgie

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sleeveless posted:

le epic not giving failures and con artists carte blanche to run off with money because they posted a few jepgs of concept art and transcribed their epic idea guys ideas from half a decade ago gimmick, brought to you by the brain geniuses who worked themselves into prodromal mental illness over getting bored of bethesda games after 200 hours

That's a surprisingly clean rap sheet.

Be a shame if something happened to it, troll.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's funny how the guy who is getting the most worked up about Barkley 2 not working out is a total jerk about it.

Like really dude, calm down.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I liked the idea of just pretending Barkley 2 already came out and everyone just starts on Barkley 3(-D).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I figured at some point maybe people would learn from CBoyardee's post about being sick of "clever" "jokes" but years later we still got the same level of tryhard garbage here.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
We came up with most of these materials together, but he figured out how to arrange them, and this all worked, as absurd as it was.
There was another chart where you could select two materials and it showed you the result.
The idea was to have the resulting materials of a fusion seem random to the player at first, but every material combination always having the same result meant people could "map" how the combinations work, and eventually maybe actually realize the full horror of what we made, this table above here.

Some of these gun materials I later worked on to make their shots have more personality, and that was a lot of fun.

And then there was the stuff we wanted to create with the guns, such as the sniper rifle. This was done in a similar way to this.

All the colors used were taken from the existing gun, in our case, the sniper rifle, so we made it look like it has some color that it would have otherwise.

The sniper rifle looks different to people. In actuality the Sniper Rifle itself looks like a standard rifle, all of its parts are based on existing rifles. It has an optical sight, aiming reticle, firing mechanism, flash hider, and gas port in case you want to use it as a gun. All those parts, and the design itself, is what inspired us to make this gun more accurate in almost every way.

One thing people can't see is the high-powered scope on the weapon.

For some perspective:

The scope on this sniper rifle can be upgraded to a crosshairs laser. The scope can shoot laser-like projectiles and hit up to 7 targets per hit.

So the actual design has an impressive power compared to a normal rifle.

Now for the fun part, making the game realistic. We came up with this crazy way to make the sniper rifle feel more like a real soldier.

For the sniper rifle, we made different weapons in different combinations. The sniper rifle is able to change into several different weapons. The weapons we came up with to create this look-a's are the L86A2 Carbine, AK-74U AK-74u, ARMS CZ-55, SVD, M249, PPSh RMS, G20, G36, G3SG1, G17, G3A1, G3SG1S, KAC (AKB48), UACR (AK47) etc.

And here's the thing - The AKs-74U is just the most obvious of them all and it's the sniper rifle made from the ground up.

What else can you do with it, aside from a few options we chose? Just a few quick pics? Oh wait:

It's pretty cool. It's what we had in mind for the And here's the thing - The AKs-74U is just the most obvious of them all and it's the sniper rifle made from the ground up.

What else can you do with it, aside from a few options we chose? Just a few quick pics? Oh wait:

It's pretty cool. It's what we had in mind for the M60-21 with its short barrel, long flash and gas block, but with the AK-74U and its extended barrel it's practically the same exact gun.

The rifle is pretty small and very lightweight (the only advantage we have is weight, but it's really very hard to squeeze that into the AK-74U). The only other weapon we've had the time, and the only one we've been told that had an advantage over it, is the AK 5.45.

Let's just pick and choose our choices from the three most popular and well-made AKs out there: the AK4, the AK-105, and the AK7.

Let's choose the third rifle, the AK-47, to showcase the amazing differences we can discover. We'll start with the most popular AKs on the market. From there, we'll see the differences between the best-made AR-15 and AK variants and AK variants out there, with an overview of the performance, accuracy, and function of each.

The following is our list of the best single-shot, two-position rifles you will ever own. Please note that our rankings are based on an AK variation, not an AK rifle.

As we mentioned before, we'll be comparing AK variants and AK versions that are most popular, not AK variants itself. Thus, the AK variants that are the most popular are a lot more diverse than the AK variants that are the most common. We may include multiple varieties of a given AK variant, but that doesn't change our score of the variant at all: a good AK rifle will beat out all others, or you will end up with a very expensive, poorly constructed weapon that will break down and cause problems down the road. We'll be looking at every other AK variant to determine the best performance out there.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yes clearly it us, the people who are not upset, who have brainworms and the person pasting in million word screeds who is the only intelligent person in the room

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Super Rad posted:

Yes clearly it us, the people who are not upset, who have brainworms and the person pasting in million word screeds who is the only intelligent person in the room

In for :10bux: - but as many have also mentioned, this looming pants goal frightens me to my core. As a DOOM-MURDERHEAD and as a b-baller wise beyond my years I know the loins-constricting effects of pants can be destructive to the b-ball energies. Behind every epic slam and daring jam, has been the principle of loin freedom which is why I petition the goal be reconsidered to wearing Regulation NBA shorts

circa the '70s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This thread was cool up until this page, now it feels like a crime scene.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sleeveless posted:

are you aware that there was a brief period in time when star citizen accepted money from and laundered money for organized crime

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
If people still want to work on this game I'm cool with it. If they wanted to have nothing to do with it I totally understand and can't be mad about that.

Release the source code if nothing else.

A massive amount of scope is needed, though.

No real time quest stuff, only branching quest availability based upon the last quest you completed. It could be randomized somewhat from a pool, or otherwise simplified in any number of ways.

If the game isn't fun to play, less emphasis on the action and more emphasis on the numbers would probably be best, like all that horseshit Destiny and Assassin's Creed make you put up with till you're "level appropriate" for an area. That gun's stuff is too good to not use!

The promise has been made. The game looks to be on track for 2023!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It just occurred to me that earlier I confused sleeveless for Guy Mann, but they're basically the same poster anyway.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

are you aware that there was a brief period in time when star citizen accepted money from and laundered money for organized crime

Yo I don't know about that guy, but I need to know more about this.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

FunMerrania posted:

I liked the idea of just pretending Barkley 2 already came out and everyone just starts on Barkley 3(-D).

Alternatively, skip to Barkley 2 REMAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sleeveless posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

how much u in for commando?