Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

T-man posted:

yeah but imagine everyone speaking in a bad mafia voice/accent/affect. It would win every single media award for every single format for being so good.

"It'sa time for Ceasar to... sleep with da fishes. *lights cigar*"

HBO had to do this right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hey 👋 fellas 👨, did you know 💡 that worshipping god 🛐 is actually gay 🙅‍♂️👬🏳️‍🌈? Because god is a woman 👩 and respecting females ♀️🚺 is the gayest thing around ❌❌❌

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I never understood why Americans want "English, but with accents" in foreign depictions

Either it's the real language or just do english, you loving weirdos. Adding an accent does not make it more genuine, it just makes it WEIRD

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Collapsing Farts posted:

I never understood why Americans want "English, but with accents" in foreign depictions

Either it's the real language or just do english, you loving weirdos. Adding an accent does not make it more genuine, it just makes it WEIRD

Because that's how Americans think foreigners speak

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Shatner's not the idiot (oddly enough)

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1135705338273886208?s=19

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

The whole question of what kind of accents people should have in movies where they are portraying people speaking a different language is a loving rabbit hole. People who live(d) in Chernobyl didn’t sound to each other like they spoke with an accent, for the most part. So why have them speak English with an accent?

Nah, it's pretty easy: a lovely accent is not the same as a different language. Either they speak the correct language or they just use their own. I don't understand how people accept that you need to speak English with a Russian accent if you're portraying a Russian-speaking character, it doesn't make any sense and breaks immersion. I could barely make it through Memoirs of a Geisha, not just because it was garbage, but because every character spoke like your local racist trying to imitate a Japanese accent.

e;fb I guess.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully, the best film of the last ten years, The Death Of Stalin, avoided that. It's better for not doing lovely Russian accents.

It's kind of like in :siren: my animes :siren: how they'll give a character that had a deep Osakan accent a bit of a twinge of southern accent, or someone born and raised in Tokyo a bit of a post New Englander sound. It conveys different regions for foreign viewers (me), without being weird.

Doing an English-speaking, but foreign accent would be the same as dubbing a Disney film in German but with an American staccato accent for the German market. That's weird as poo poo.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Jun 4, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh no, not bare shoulders.

https://twitter.com/MCITLFrAphorism/status/1135593970627747840?s=19

That ratio thing indecent about this post.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

It's kind of like in :siren: my animes :siren: how they'll give a character that had a deep Osakan accent a bit of a twinge of southern accent, or someone born and raised in Tokyo a bit of a post New Englander sound. It conveys different regions for foreign viewers (me), without being weird.

Even this is pretty awkward most of the time imo, as the Osaka/Kansai dialect has widely different cultural connotations from southern American, but of course American English is one of the poorest languages in the world in terms of regional variance, so southern is the only go-to "different" dialect.

I read this Japanese novel once that's set on a ship and most of the characters speak in a thick northern dialect which fits the setting and is also important in the text to distinguish between the capitalists and the proles. In the Norwegian translation, the translator found a local dialect which also conveys "lives in a northern region known for its maritime industry" and it worked great, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for people reading the English translation which necessarily would have to give up a lot of that nuance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"Southern" isn't the only noticeable accent in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwbzGyC6t4

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Even this is pretty awkward most of the time imo, as the Osaka/Kansai dialect has widely different cultural connotations from southern American, but of course American English is one of the poorest languages in the world in terms of regional variance, so southern is the only go-to "different" dialect.

I read this Japanese novel once that's set on a ship and most of the characters speak in a thick northern dialect which fits the setting and is also important in the text to distinguish between the capitalists and the proles. In the Norwegian translation, the translator found a local dialect which also conveys "lives in a northern region known for its maritime industry" and it worked great, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for people reading the English translation which necessarily would have to give up a lot of that nuance.

Boston fishermen?

or heck nova scotian fishermen

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Please tell me they're accidentally quoting a parody account or something.

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1123694533076819968?s=19

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Which Southern?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Daps_95/status/1135230760678543367?s=19

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Except he's wrong. There are models that are not to scale.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nah, it's pretty easy: a lovely accent is not the same as a different language. Either they speak the correct language or they just use their own. I don't understand how people accept that you need to speak English with a Russian accent if you're portraying a Russian-speaking character, it doesn't make any sense and breaks immersion. I could barely make it through Memoirs of a Geisha, not just because it was garbage, but because every character spoke like your local racist trying to imitate a Japanese accent.

e;fb I guess.

I am 100% on this team myself, but people will argue that if you don’t have the accent it seems “less realistic” which :thunkher:

Then there is the Rome thing, where they mapped English posh and un-posh accents on to Roman class distinctions with more or less success.

But. If you’re doing a production of Henry V, what do you do with the scene where Fluellen is telling Gower the rules of war? They’re presumably speaking Welsh to each other there, as opposed to the rest of the play where they’re speaking English with heavy Welsh accents. Should the actors drop the accents? Or just keep on with them?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I feel like the only Osaka > southern U.S. character that I've overall 'bought' is Lotta Hart from Ace Attorney. But I think that's partly because Ace Attorney was famously a lot weirder about recontextualizing its early stories to take place in America than most of its contemporaries, and partly because it's also largely written that most of Lotta's character is specifically her being a weird idiot and not really any kind of regional thing.

I've also heard that Lotta was specifically designed as a stereotypical Osakan by the character designer, and then given to a writing and development team that actually lived and worked in Osaka who weren't exactly very happy with it but tried to make the best of it, so even in Japanese she's kind of a weird curveball.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Broke vs Woke

fake nazi girl

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its absolutely insane to say american english has a lack of regional variation, at least in comparison to every other english speaking country, dunno about interlingually

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Queen Combat posted:

Thankfully, the best film of the last ten years, The Death Of Stalin, avoided that. It's better for not doing lovely Russian accents.

I'll say that both Death of Stalin and Chernobyl went a lot further toward humanizing the Soviet Union for me and painting it as a real, normal place with real, normal human beings in it, just through not using Russian accents.

A movie like, oh, White Nights drowns you in bad foreign accents and it makes the whole setting seem like a hostile alien planet.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Anyone who says poo poo like this should be forced to wear a plastic bag over their head. Y’know, for modesty

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Skwirl posted:

Dude is getting absolutely dragged and it's showing no sign of slowing down. It's glorious.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Dude is getting absolutely dragged and it's showing no sign of slowing down. It's glorious.

UH YEAH BUT...
https://twitter.com/MCITLFrAphorism/status/1135882253370888192

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Idiots on Social Media: Jesus got ratioed

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Unban Barrabas!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

there wolf posted:

Which Southern?

That map is neat but it lumps way too much together. I can hear differences between Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver accents, e.g. poo poo, there are even different anglo Canadian accents within Toronto. There are also dozens of regional rural accents within that "1. CANADA" zone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

its absolutely insane to say american english has a lack of regional variation, at least in comparison to every other english speaking country, dunno about interlingually

It does have less regional variation than the UK. But there's still plenty to work with.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"I've prayed about it" he says. At the risk of sounding like one of those edgelord internet atheists, I'd have more respect for him if he discussed it with another person who could actually respond instead of convincing himself that he's right by talking to himself in an empty room.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiannaHunt/status/1135716016082882561

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

there wolf posted:

Which Southern?

The one labelled as 6. The South in your image. No one's saying everyone in the south speaks exactly the same, the point is that when translating, say, an anime character from Osaka, the translator is most likely going for a "generic" southern dialect rather than a perfect Jacksonville one.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I disagree. What regional variation there is in American English, at least with few exceptions, is pretty minor compared to many other languages. As someone who has listened to way more American than British English, it's still a lot easier for me to distinguish between someone from London and someone from Edinburgh speaking their native dialect compared to, say, someone from New York and someone from Los Angeles or Seattle or Chicago or even Toronto. This is not to say that minor differences don't exist, but you hardly ever see people genuinely struggle to communicate in the same language with different dialects, which is something you see in a lot of countries.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Boston fishermen?

or heck nova scotian fishermen

I agree that the Boston dialect is another immediately recognizable one for most native speakers, at least when exaggerated, but I'm also not sure how used people are to seeing it in print and thus how suited it would be for this purpose. Also, in the novel the dialect is specifically rural or at least far from the "important" big cities, which Boston doesn't really fit. Nova Scotian might be better in that sense, but I get the impression that's not a dialect most North Americans would be familiar with, at least not to the point of picking up on those cultural signifiers.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Then there is the Rome thing, where they mapped English posh and un-posh accents on to Roman class distinctions with more or less success.

But. If you’re doing a production of Henry V, what do you do with the scene where Fluellen is telling Gower the rules of war? They’re presumably speaking Welsh to each other there, as opposed to the rest of the play where they’re speaking English with heavy Welsh accents. Should the actors drop the accents? Or just keep on with them?

I haven't watched Rome, but I generally have less of a problem with that kind of sociolect mapping.

Haven't watched Henry V either, but of course a stage play is different from a TV show in that you can't simply put subtitles on it, so keeping it in English is more forgivable there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CommonShore posted:

That map is neat but it lumps way too much together. I can hear differences between Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver accents, e.g. poo poo, there are even different anglo Canadian accents within Toronto. There are also dozens of regional rural accents within that "1. CANADA" zone.

That isn't really a fair criticism if we don't know what the linguistic criteria are for these groupings here. I'd like to see a full resolution one with actually-readable text.

Edit:

I disagree. What regional variation there is in American English, at least with few exceptions, is pretty minor compared to many other languages. As someone who has listened to way more American than British English, it's still a lot easier for me to distinguish between someone from London and someone from Edinburgh speaking their native dialect compared to, say, someone from New York and someone from Los Angeles or Seattle or Chicago or even Toronto. This is not to say that minor differences don't exist, but you hardly ever see people genuinely struggle to communicate in the same language with different dialects, which is something you see in a lot of countries.

I don't know. You might be right (recall the Chilean Spanish conversation from a while back) but it absolutely does happen quite often in English. I had to be an interpreter for my girlfriend, who grew up in Alberta, as she struggled to have conversations with old people when we visited Newfoundland.

There are some regional Newfoundland accents that even I need to put some effort into understanding, and I grew up there!

Then there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5zX3yVoiQ

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jun 4, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
american english is only a couple centuries old at best and took place during a period of time in which people have huge degrees of personal mobility, so it just stands to reason that american english dialects never developed as intensively as they did in other languages or even dialect groups like british english where people could have been living in certain areas for hundreds of years

nobody's saying "there are no dialects in american english" but comparatively all american english is pretty similar

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the biggest factor is simply that the USA is loving huge and most people never encounter many of the accents in the country so they're not recognizable to most. The only accents that get much play in the media are Midwestern, Southern, maybe Texan and New Yorker if you're feeling saucey (or even Bostonian).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

luxury handset posted:

american english is only a couple centuries old at best and took place during a period of time in which people have huge degrees of personal mobility, so it just stands to reason that american english dialects never developed as intensively as they did in other languages or even dialect groups like british english where people could have been living in certain areas for hundreds of years

nobody's saying "there are no dialects in american english" but comparatively all american english is pretty similar

Whoops my bad! Totally misunderstood what feltch me daddy jr was saying. I didn't realize they were talking about American dialects specifically in the last sentence there.

I need to ban myself from pre-coffee posting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like all Americans, I don't have an accent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think the saying is "there is more variation in English across 100 miles of Britain than across 1000 miles of America" or some such

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

:yum:

lol at them including her bitching about Amazon

e: What the gently caress happened on May 17th? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48308638

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Jun 4, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Gov. Abbott did away with sanctuary cities" what world do these people live in. That's the exact opposite of what happened.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm oddly heartened that the students, rather than being terminally poisoned by having an ACTUAL TEACHER who is a raving racist loony, are actually pushing back at her en masse.

Perhaps kids being raised by internet echo chambers instead of local authority figures isn't ALL bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From those witness statements she doesn't seem to have been particularly good at teaching English either