Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Zotix posted:

So that's crazy about the bridge of death. Everyone there died, but some of the firefighters lived? The three guys who went into the reactor lived. But that bridge seemed pretty far away, were they just downwind of it perfectly and soaked up a good hour of radiation?

Yeah, the bridge was directly downwind. All the stuff that killed the trees of the red forest fell on them too.

Not all of the firefighters were exposed to lethal radiation. The ones that died were mostly the guys that went to the roof. One even commented how his truck had just been overhauled and he took issue with a piece of metal that got lodged in the tire. Come to find out it had been part of the core and burned his hands when he tried to dislodge it.

That ending was amazing. I was choking back tears and broke down when they got to the firefighter gear in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Remember it also showed the 'grey snowflakes' falling on the bridge, and there were likely kids who held their tongues out. :smithicide:

r/chernobyl seems to dispute the claim: https://www.reddit.com/r/chernobyl/comments/br7mit/the_bridge_of_death/

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How about a 5 part series about the 3 large cities america annihilated in japan, 2 of which were nuked

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Absolutely incredible, every single episode was fantastic and the ending was the perfect capstone. What an accomplishment, I can't get over how good this series was. Legit found myself near tears at the "They were wrong, she now lives with her son..." line about the fireman's wife who was told she couldn't have kids, it was one of the few optimistic moments in among that sea of horror.

mcmagic posted:

There is no way there will be anything better on TV this year than this series.

Seriously, if anything tops this then it is going to be a glorious year for television.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chernobyl - "Just the tip"

But seriously, great loving show. I liked the touch of Shcherbina explaining how the reactor worked.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

How about a 5 part series about the 3 large cities america annihilated in japan, 2 of which were nuked

"Coming soon to the History Channel: Humans Are Terrible. Brought to you by Nihilist Arby's."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I was in tears by the final montage. Thank you, HBO, for demonstrating to AMC that you can have a terrifying RL events-based show without a 'monster to represent the horror' or someshit.

guestimate posted:

The courtroom countdown was so gripping though I knew what was going to happen...

I did too, but I was sooo worried that we were gonna get a JFK style 'triumphant music plays in background while TRUTH is being told' scene or worse 'everyone stands up and applauds, while judge fails to keep order' scene.

But instead we got what actually happens IRL if you decide to be brave in that fashion. You get zero immediate reward, most certainly not to your ego. The judge gives you a few stern warnings as he senses it coming and if you still tell the truth, there's just more silence and you get taken away quietly to this...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Charkov played a calmly furious apparatchik perfectly. He wasn't angry that Legasov told the truth - he was angriest that he'd gotten such a bad *read* on him (hence that attempt at 'deconstructing' Legasov's past), told *his* superiors as much, and knew that was going to reflect poorly on him. He was very clearly a man who had not been forced to smell his own bullshit in quite a long time, and Legasov forced him to take a good deep whiff of it.

That scene reminded me sooo much of a quote from the "The Most Dangerous Man In America" documentary, of how jury selection would be done from the defendant's side for The United States vs. Anthony Russo & Daniel Ellsberg (the Vietnam-era leaker, whose stuff played a big part in Watergate and the Nixon administration resignation)

quote:

When we went to select our jury, we brought in an expert (actually a psychiatrist). He told us: "We are defending two young men. Bright, high achievers, men with a future, who were willing to risk it all for the sake of not themselves, or their own careerist interest, but for the sake of a principle." And the psychiatrist said to us: "You don't want on this jury men of middle age, because these are people who during the course of their lives might possibly have sacrificed principle for the sake of career, for the sake of family. And they lived with that compromise and they will have a lot of disdain, even contempt, for two men who did it for the sake of principle and who took the risk."

Charkov's actor (and his written words) were written perfectly of exactly that sort of man. I could smell the disdain he had for Legasov through the screen, masking that of himself for his own cowardice of course. When he literally shouted: "When the bullet hits your head, what does it matter why?!" I loving knew that he was saying that far moreso for his own peace of mind (that he'd made the right choices in life, after all look at this fool in front of him!) than for that of Legasov. Just brilliantly acted and, like many goons have pointed out, not over-acted whatsoever.

I kinda agree that they could've toned Dyatlov's crimes down a bit...I mean, they were entirely believable (that their desperation to finally pass that drat test led them to so many rushed and forced orders to their underlings), but I suppose the excuse could be that his actions are described within the narrative of the show trial, meaning that they're meant to reinforce the initial premise: "It's always easy to have a clear villian, someone to blame."

So yeah...Generation Kill, you're still amazing, but so sorry, you're now #2 on my list of favorite miniseries.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 4, 2019

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dyatlov got quite the villain edit this episode but to be honest, he was at his most monstrous back in episode one where he specifically saw the graphite on the ground and continued to ignore it while sending multiple people to their deaths and pointedly accepting a poo poo dosimeter reading instead of insisting on a better one. I almost believe that he volunteered to go to the roof so that he could come back and say "everything is fine" no matter what he saw up there just so he could shut up the other worker in the bunker.

Anyway, I really liked this show, definitely one of the best things HBO has done in a while.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

algebra testes posted:

Chernobyl - "Just the tip"

But seriously, great loving show. I liked the touch of Shcherbina explaining how the reactor worked.

While it wasn't Legasov that did the presentation in real life, I thought his was particularly effective once it got down to the reactor stalling.
The only way he could have made it more effective was saying "And here's what the graphite tips did" and then lit the entire thing on fire.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 4, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Max posted:

Dyatlov got quite the villain edit this episode but to be honest, he was at his most monstrous back in episode one where he specifically saw the graphite on the ground and continued to ignore it while sending multiple people to their deaths and pointedly accepting a poo poo dosimeter reading instead of insisting on a better one. I almost believe that he volunteered to go to the roof so that he could come back and say "everything is fine" no matter what he saw up there just so he could shut up the other worker in the bunker.

The podcast went more indepth on what the intent there was, and while we as the viewers get the sense of him being monstrous (because we know what happens next), Mazin put it a bit more accurately that Dyatlov was just a stubborn bully that was impatient to get this bullshit test done, so that he could move up the ranks and get into a management position. He (and no worker at the plant either) had even the slightest inkling, that if you're both, this kind of insanely stubborn hardass motherfucker AND that the 'off switch' for the reactor does literally the opposite under this condition and blows it up, would happen.

So...him being presented as a pretty terrible person is still accurate to RL, I feel (he had that reputation as well and straight up lied about other poo poo during the trial), but yea...that would also easily push him into the 'literal monster' category by and audience that is so used to stories with clear-cut villains, I suppose. Could they have done more on that point? Pretty sure...but some of the exchanges shown in the reactor room of this episode are literally what he said: "You're procrastinating" to safely lowering the power and such so to make him look less villainous, they'd have to put different words in his mouth and yea...that'd be lying about what kind of person he was too.

I think it's one of the very rare cases where I'd say the problem really is moreso with an audience that is used to simplistic narratives as opposed to the creators of the show. It's super interesting because normally my sentiment is almost always the exact opposite, but I dunno...I'm sure there is a Dyatlov fan out there who feels differently.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 4, 2019

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

From extra reading & the podcast it sounds like Dyatlov really was an unpleasant person and most of the stuff they're quoting him doing came from first hand accounts. Then again, they do make a point to say that part of the reason he was so in denial was because they didn't believe it was physically possible for the reactor to explode. And the whole climax of this episode is Legasov pointing out that while they put the reactor in a dangerous place, they did so because he also believed there was a failsafe.

This was an incredibly well done telling of these events – and masterfully kept tight at 5 episodes. Hope this kicks off a bunch of historical series, but also hope that others do this much research. Don't know how you even follow up on this tho.

quote:

I think it's one of the very rare cases where I'd say the problem really is moreso with an audience that is used to simplistic narratives as opposed to the creators of the show. It's super interesting because normally my sentiment is almost always the exact opposite, but I dunno...I'm sure there is a Dyatlov fan out there who feels differently.

^ Agreed. I honestly worry a bit that people read the communication lies & willingness to pass-the-buck as being something exclusively Russian, vs. being something more generally applicable.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 4, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
"For God's sake Boris, you were the one who mattered the most." :cry:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The only flaw in the whole series was Emily Watson's character. She did a good job, but every time she was on screen we were pulled out of the suspension of disbelief of following a faithful dramatisation of the events, and into a 2019 TV show with a quota of female empowerment to fill. That was always a bit of a whiplash. Were she split into at least two characters, preferably real life ones, and instead of teleportation powers she could've been a spokesperson for actual group of scientists at work, then it would've worked better. She had good chemistry with the young researcher in the scene we first saw her, why couldn't she offload some of her stuff to him at least?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought Dyatlov's best scene was when Legasov made him realize at long last that the SCRAM button he was counting on to cover his rear end was fatally flawed, since his entire *being* was predicated on being a ~25 year veteran~ of nuclear power and he could *do no wrong*.

Also, is it wrong that I kind of want to see a rewrite where the show trial ends abruptly after Legasov says the reactor hit 33,000 megawatts and Dyatlov gets rewarded for it?

Leg: "Right before the explosion, the reactor, which was designed to output 3,000 megawatts, outputted 33,000." :eng99:

Judge: "Wait, so you're saying Comrade Dyatlov increased output of the reactor by over 1000 percent?" :v:

Leg: "The *instant* before the reactor exploded, yes. But comrades, I don't think you're quite grasping the mess..." :stare:

Judge: "I think we're perfectly capable of understanding the amazing achievement of a thousand percent efficiency gain!" :pseudo:

Dya: "I tried to tell them, Comrades. If you'd let me go, I'm sure I could find a way to make *all* RBMK-1000 reactors *stable* at 33,000 megawatts." :grin:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 4, 2019

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Dyatlov must have suspected there was a secret Turbo mode to the reactor when he saw the five digit MW power display.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, is it wrong that I kind of want to see a rewrite where the show trial ends abruptly after Legasov says the reactor hit 33,000 megawatts and Dyatlov gets rewarded for it?

Leg: "Right before the explosion, the reactor, which was designed to output 3,000 megawatts, outputted 33,000." :eng99:

Judge: "Wait, so you're saying Comrade Dyatlov increased output of the reactor by over 1000 percent?" :v:

Leg: "The *instant* before the reactor exploded, yes. But comrades, I don't think you're quite grasping the mess..." :stare:

Judge: "I think we're perfectly capable of understanding the amazing achievement of a thousand percent efficiency gain!" :pseudo:

Dya: "I tried to tell them, Comrades. If you'd let me go, I'm sure I could find a way to make *all* RBMK-1000 reactors *stable* at 33,000 megawatts." :grin:

I could see this happening in America.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

pigdog posted:

The only flaw in the whole series was Emily Watson's character. She did a good job, but every time she was on screen we were pulled out of the suspension of disbelief of following a faithful dramatisation of the events, and into a 2019 TV show with a quota of female empowerment to fill.
Whilst I can agree to a point about the amalgamation of many different people into one character (although I can equally see the creator's reasons for it) I'd argue it's not about female empowerment quotas, as such - many of the scientists and doctors in the USSR were women.

If anything, consolidating them all into one character instead of having multiple female scientists contributing reduces the "female empowerment quota".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

pigdog posted:

The only flaw in the whole series was Emily Watson's character. She did a good job, but every time she was on screen we were pulled out of the suspension of disbelief of following a faithful dramatisation of the events, and into a 2019 TV show with a quota of female empowerment to fill. That was always a bit of a whiplash. Were she split into at least two characters, preferably real life ones, and instead of teleportation powers she could've been a spokesperson for actual group of scientists at work, then it would've worked better. She had good chemistry with the young researcher in the scene we first saw her, why couldn't she offload some of her stuff to him at least?

Well following your own logic they wouldn't offload it to him because he was a man. You appear to know everything you need in order to come to the conclusion you want.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVq3cw-V-pM

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

pigdog posted:

I honestly couldn't care less if a character is a man or a woman, as long as the character is believable and I honestly feel like hers was very believable. I think it shouldn't matter in the least especially for a fictionalized character and i just don't understand how that can be immersion breaking for anyone. The reality is, if no one in this thread had pointed out that she didn't exist and is just representing the greater science community, I wouldn't have known or cared one bit.

I really don't see why it's such an issue :shrug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

If you’re watching what is universally hailed as one of the best shows in recent memory, and you feel the need to “why women in mah tv”, then you probably have more general problems with women than just in this specific case, hth

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

BigglesSWE posted:

If you’re watching what is universally hailed as one of the best shows in recent memory, and you feel the need to “why women in mah tv”, then you probably have more general problems with women than just in this specific case, hth

HBO really should make a show about Marie Currie and have Johnny Depp play her role

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dalael posted:

HBO really should make a show about Marie Currie and have Johnny Depp play her role

Joan d’Arc, starring Chris Pine.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
She's a fictional character doing unrealistic things in an otherwise quite close to reality docudrama. From figuring out the lava problem, to visiting people at a hospital, to having meetings with Gorbachov, to being Legasov's concience... it's just too much.

I'm not sure how to feel about the acknowledgement in the closing slideshow that she's fictional, either. It's true... but kind of fourth-wall breaking. One minute you're looking at harrowing footage and pictures of the real people, but when it comes to her, it's like "lol actually you shouldn't have cared about this character at all, we just made her up :shrug:".

It's not a big deal, just something I would've liked to have handled differently.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

pigdog posted:

She's a fictional character doing unrealistic things in an otherwise quite close to reality docudrama. From figuring out the lava problem, to visiting people at a hospital, to having meetings with Gorbachov, to being Legasov's concience... it's just too much.

I'm not sure how to feel about the acknowledgement in the closing slideshow that she's fictional, either. It's true... but kind of fourth-wall breaking. One minute you're looking at harrowing footage and pictures of the real people, but when it comes to her, it's like "lol actually you shouldn't have cared about this character at all, we just made her up :shrug:".

It's not a big deal, just something I would've liked to have handled differently.

I too, take out my climbing gear every time there is a pebble in my way.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Watching those control rods dance made my gut sink. Holy poo poo

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The, easily available alternatives would be:
1: have Legasov do her part (would be inherently inaccurate and make his character stretched thin) or
2: have a whole team of scientist characters as in reality. Doable, perhaps, but apart from it inevitably give cause to a higher degree of confusion for the viewer (”wait, which one is this again?”), try and argue to your financial backers why your show NEEDS 8-10 extra actors, instead of just taking some artistic liberties (which are taken throughout the entire series but somehow only becomes a concern with this character for some reason) and combine them into a singular person, who, btw, will be played by an acclaimed actress.

Like, if she was played by Meghan Fox it’d be different. But it’s Emily Watson, a genuinely great actress. Bitching about her inclusion is just asinine at this point.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
She is an avatar of the people she represented. They couldn't fit all of them in there but they wanted them represented. It was a good choice

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

She is an avatar of the people she represented. They couldn't fit all of them in there but they wanted them represented. It was a good choice

Actually it’s feministic propaganda and if pisses on the corpses of all the true heroes who fought the corrupt socialist system, and furthermore

May I just add that the last scene between Boris and Valery was incredibly moving.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 4, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Watching those control rods dance made my gut sink. Holy poo poo

350kg each, and they're loving bouncing about like pebbles on a trampoline. Jesus Christ.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If she wasnt a perfect and moralizing supergenius there wouldnt be any complaints. As is it just seems unfair that somebody who isnt real gets to tell real people they're not good enough.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BigglesSWE posted:

May I just add that the last scene between Boris and Valery was incredibly moving.

I could definitely see something like it happening with Boris IRL. That all his life he played it safe by standing next to great people and got very far in his career this way...but then Chernobyl happened and, against everyone's expectations including his own, he actually stepped up to the challenge like few others would. It's far too easy to forget legitimately amazing things you've done after a lifetime of punching the clock and doing what society expected from you. :(

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 4, 2019

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The "shakey cam" tracking when Legasov takes the stand is so loving good

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

I could definitely see something like it happening with Boris IRL. That all his life he played it safe by standing next to great people and got very far in his career...but then Chernobyl happened and, against everyone's expectations including his own, he actually stepped up to the challenge like few others would. It's easy to forget that after a lifetime of punching the clock and deriding those who actually cared about things like 'truth'. :(

And Stellan sells the everloving gently caress out of that scene. I know it’s very dramatically written and clearly not “authentic” but it is probably my favorite television moment in a very long time. Made me realize how much I came to like these characters.

A small detail I loved for some reason: the soldier quickly stepping in to adjust the microphone when Legasov moves from the stand. Good way to deconstruct the movie-ism of that courtroom sequence.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

Good morning, HBO executives. My pitch today is a 6-hour, live-action Grave of the Fireflies.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Not the first to say this, but goddamn. Regardless of everything or even if some of it was true, that portrayal of Dyatlov was loving vicious and dickish. But, more importantly for a TV show, very well acted.

e: though I do think maybe there's a chance it's being portrayed this way because it maybe represents how he's being portrayed in court? I'm not entirely sold on that interpretation, myself, but I guess it could have theoretically been the intent.

I'm not gonna effortpost again but I'm so mad how this show was so incredibly real with such attention to detail, and then there's the Dyatlov hateboner fanfiction

Also it's been stated in some sources that during the trial he was especially angry when the testimony was making GBS threads on Toptunov and Akimov in particular, when they were painted as inept he defended them. So portraying him the same as the show trial did doesn't quite work either :eng99:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Dyatlov spent every breathing second on the issue trying to put the sole blame on construction while being an rear end in a top hat to everyone during the test. Even when objections were raised he shut them down with threats of termination. He willfully and knowingly ignored safety regulations, going so far as to deactivate safety features that could have stopped this for the sake of passing this test and getting another rung up the ladder. The guy frankly gets poo poo on for a reason. He pushed the reactor outside the most basic safety limits himself because this was his time to shine and show he could get poo poo done. He literally had multiple chances to avoid this, and each time he silenced opposition be it human or machine.
This would be like cutting the brake line on your car, flooring it into an intersection to kill and maim a slew of people, then blaming Ford for making the brake lines too easy to cut

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Remember it also showed the 'grey snowflakes' falling on the bridge, and there were likely kids who held their tongues out. :smithicide:

r/chernobyl seems to dispute the claim: https://www.reddit.com/r/chernobyl/comments/br7mit/the_bridge_of_death/

See, I'm not sure what to take on some of that with people claiming the wind wasn't even blowing that way when official reports state that the bridge got dumped on by fallout. I mean go look at google maps for the bridge and the red forest, they're like right next to each other

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Coming soon to the History Channel: Humans Are Terrible. Brought to you by Nihilist Arby's."

Nah, doesn't have aliens or Ice Road truckers in it

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 4, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
HBO have already greenlit (or will) another show from him. Different, probably not disaster porn but another docudrama it seems.

http://collider.com/chernobyl-interview-craig-mazin/
REPORTER: Do you already have something lined up next? Do you know what you’d like to do, or are you working on something?

MAZIN: I do have something lined up next, and it’s also for HBO. They’ve been an incredible home for me, and I see no reason to leave that home right now. I can’t talk about what it is, but it’s also based on a non-fiction work, and it couldn’t be more different from Chernobyl, in the sense of the story it’s telling and what’s it about. I’m really proud of what it is, just even in its ambition. Hopefully, when it actually gets done, it will live up to that.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 4, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Huxley posted:

Good morning, HBO executives. My pitch today is a 6-hour, live-action Grave of the Fireflies.

“Well we DID green light that Confederacy show from D&D so clearly we’re insane. Please continue.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

The role of the malnourished 4-year old girl will, naturally, be played by Jared Harris.