Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
King narrates The Wind Through the Keyhole (book 4.5). I was wary about listening to a book narrated by the author, but it was aight.

Detta is bad in all her audiobook incarnations. I literally had to skip parts of book 6, it was just painful.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aardark posted:

King narrates The Wind Through the Keyhole (book 4.5). I was wary about listening to a book narrated by the author, but it was aight.

Detta is bad in all her audiobook incarnations. I literally had to skip parts of book 6, it was just painful.

When I was a kid my dad got the Gunslinger audiobook out of the library and it was weird and interesting and being 9 or 10 I didn't have a real concept of reading order. I don't know what book I grabbed next but Detta was there and the phrase half erect cock happened.

That was a tonal shift

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

King apparently read the first 3 books of the dark tower back in the day for the audio version. Folks in the King thread were talking about it. I've only ever heard the Guidell and Muller versions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reading philosophy really got me in the mood for some Homer and I was really uncertain which version to get.

Then I found the one read by goddam Ian McKellen.

Does anybody have any other suggestions like which Iliad to read? Translation seems to be abig thing for people.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 4, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Illiad: Fitzgerald Translation; narrated by Dan Stevens is my personal recommendation. Fitzgerald isn’t the “best” translation, but he aims for clarity and legibility, which really helps on a first read and also in audio form. You can always read it later with another translation. And Dan Stevens in that particular recording is perfect. He reads the prose poetically and gives each character just a hint of character, but never oversells it or gets in the way. It really brings the story to life.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I really like the Caroline Alexander translation of the Iliad, narrated by Dominic Keating.

Also has one of my favourite negative reviews:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Enfys posted:

Also has one of my favourite negative reviews:

Just wait until he runs across The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
The Alice Network was sooo gooood.

If you're into war spy mystery stories with a bit of romance (but not erotica romance - just people being into each other) then check it out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Speaking of not erotica romance, I ended up grabbing this series:

https://www.audible.com/series/The-Guild-Codex-Spellbound-Series-Audiobooks/B07HYVQCY7

Contemporary urban fantasy, but with a muggle as the protagonist.
The romance isn't really a focus, but it's a running element in an otherwise standard (but fun) magic plot. I feel that it's the most telegraphed part of the writing though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 11, 2019

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

NikkolasKing posted:

Reading philosophy really got me in the mood for some Homer and I was really uncertain which version to get.

Then I found the one read by goddam Ian McKellen.

Does anybody have any other suggestions like which Iliad to read? Translation seems to be abig thing for people.

Did you end up enjoying this btw? Based on the sample, it sounds like it Ian McKellen recorded it in a public bathroom with a crappy phone mic. Lots of the reviews complain about the production quality issues and skipping as well.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just finished "Black Water: The Complete Saga" by Michael McDowell and can't recommend it enough.
The narration was excellent and it clocks in at 30 hours! It's categorised as horror but it's really just a family saga with a few horror elements. I implore everyone to spend a credit on it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Finished Best. State. Ever. A Florida Man Defends His Homeland by Dave Barry, narrated by Dick Hill. Barry wrote this book in response to all the questions he's received along the lines of "Why is Florida so weird?" . He gives his best scientific explanation (Florida is a peninsula, so all the stupid people can't find their way out) as well as a defense of his home state (low taxes, warm weather, beautiful women, and it's never boring). He spends the rest of the book going to various unusual tourist sites; he gives a history of the everglades while visiting the Skunkape Research Center, watches the mermaid show at Weeki Wachee state park, fires machine guns at Miami's Lock N Loaded, and tries to drink all the beer in Key West. If there is one drawback to this audiobook it is that it's not read by Barry himself. That said Hill does a great job giving the right comedic tone for this love letter to Florida.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm almost finished Before We Were Yours. I spent the entire car ride to work being angry about one of the story lines (story is told through two characters).

Like seriously. If you can do research into what it is like to be a child in a very specific set of circumstances then I'm SURE you can do a better job writing a Federal prosecutor omg. Instead that character reminds me of the Knitting in the City books I had to listen to while recovering from brain surgery.

And I actually can't understand who the audience is. It's not light summer reading, as there are heavy and intense descriptions of systemic and specific child abuse, molestation, and traumatic events. But it's also not serious reading because of the OTHER story line.

The plot twist was revealed to me in the last chapter and I'm jumping ship with 1.5h to go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is it just me, or have any of you started noticing a conspicuous increase in specific product/brand mentions in audiobooks recently? :tinfoil:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Is it just me, or have any of you started noticing a conspicuous increase in specific product/brand mentions in audiobooks recently? :tinfoil:
How would this only be audiobooks as opposed to printed books? Are you saying that additional product mentions are being inserted in audiobooks that aren't in the original text?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't bought a text-based fiction book in at least three years, electronic or otherwise. I'm going by what I personally have. :shrug:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I finished, The Dead Drink First from the originals offerings from June. I enjoy when audio books weave in the actual interview audios.

I'm listening to Rivals now, which is on the July audible original list. It's pretty good and while the podcast soundboard inserts were grating me at first they are rather infrequent and mildly ammusing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a hard time concentrating on audiobooks. Is it just how I am? Or do some stories/authors/voices work better than others? I've had mixed-at-best results for the smattering of novels I've tried.

Really I just want something for when my eyes are tired but my brain wants a bone to chew on.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speed up / Slow down. Your mind is going to wander if it isn't at the right speed to keep you concentrating on it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Yea some narrators are just too slow and a little 1.1x speed can really help me stay in the book, and then sometimes i back it down to normal speed if I'm feeling slow.

I tried doing the audiobook with a text book once and I had to sped it up to like 1.4x or I would get ahead on the text part

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a hard time concentrating on audiobooks. Is it just how I am? Or do some stories/authors/voices work better than others? I've had mixed-at-best results for the smattering of novels I've tried.

Really I just want something for when my eyes are tired but my brain wants a bone to chew on.

Some narrators are better than others for sure.
I have a handful of titles I never completed because I just didn't care for the speaker, even if the story seemed perfectly fine.
My favorite way to find new books to get is clicking on narrators I like to see what else they've done.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

I can only really listen to audiobooks while doing other things, like playing video games doing hobby stuff with my hands, or long drives. Without some other task to do I can't really focus on them

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sometimes I find it hard to focus on an audiobook, usually reading along with the dialogue helps. That may seem counter intuitive but I've found books I just can't read or listen to when combined I can take it in.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Speed up / Slow down. Your mind is going to wander if it isn't at the right speed to keep you concentrating on it.

I will give this a go, thanks :)

Comp-U-poo poo posted:

I can only really listen to audiobooks while doing other things, like playing video games doing hobby stuff with my hands, or long drives. Without some other task to do I can't really focus on them

I'm kinda the opposite

Baka-nin posted:

Sometimes I find it hard to focus on an audiobook, usually reading along with the dialogue helps. That may seem counter intuitive but I've found books I just can't read or listen to when combined I can take it in.

That sounds feasible, but I'm fine with reading, and only go for audiobooks when I can't or don't want to read.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have found that it sometimes takes a few hours of listening to a given book (typically with an unfamiliar narrator) before I sink into the experience.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

A lot of it for me was training my brain to be OK with doing a single thing and enjoying the single thing. Eventually I had brain surgery and that kinda stayed my ability to do more than a single thing (being, listening to Harry Potter series over and over again).

Have there been any books that you have been really into? There are some tried and true go-to's like The Martian etc.

Is there a genre that you really like? A narrator? I really love R.C. Bray and have gone thru phases of "also by this narrator" where I have found some good stuff.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luscious posted:

A lot of it for me was training my brain to be OK with doing a single thing and enjoying the single thing.

I think I need to consider that myself, it's specifically a "listening to things while doing nothing else" focus that I lack.

luscious posted:

Eventually I had brain surgery and that kinda stayed my ability to do more than a single thing (being, listening to Harry Potter series over and over again).

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're doing well.

luscious posted:

Have there been any books that you have been really into? There are some tried and true go-to's like The Martian etc.

Is there a genre that you really like?

I did enjoy The Martian a lot (I like stories where people have to fix things, cf. the film of Apollo 13) but I liked it plenty enough as a written book to not approach the audiobook. I liked Iain M Banks a lot (provided you cut out half the side plots) and older Neal Stephenson before I realised how garbage so much of it was. Urban fantasy, though I've dropped off that lately. The Expanse series of books was very good. Pratchett/Gaiman/Rowling when I was a kid. I tried listening to Catch 22 and Children of Time and bounced off both. Sorry this isn't very helpful.

luscious posted:

A narrator? I really love R.C. Bray and have gone thru phases of "also by this narrator" where I have found some good stuff.

I've not listened to enough to have a preferred narrator, though the narrator of 1984 ground me into the soil with how tedious he was.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm listening to CHAOS: Charles Manson, The CIA and the secret history of the Sixties. Pretty good so far.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone have an opinion of the Gaiman/Pratchett teamup Good Omens?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

It's good, it's also the most british thing you will ever listen to.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I certainly liked it when I read the paper version many years ago, but then I am also very British.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've listened to The Screwtape Letters and The Cyberiad, so I'm imagining something similar.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 14, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mister Facetious posted:

Paper: Excellent
Audio: Excellent
Video: Excellent

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Facetious posted:

Currently listening to it so I can watch the series. It's full of English humor and overall really good and funny, even to a yank like me. The narrator is very good as well although I don't like his "sultry" voice for Red

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Comp-U-poo poo posted:

If I try to do this the words just passes through my ears and I don't hold any information. I really need to focus on the audio

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

If I try to do this the words just passes through my ears and I don't hold any information. I really need to focus on the audio

Oh same-ish. I'm all good and fine if I'm doing things like putting on makeup, handwashing my clothes, cleaning, etc. but as soon as I do anything that requires more than pure auto-pilot (including something as mundane as scrolling Instagram) it's entirely useless.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think I need to consider that myself, it's specifically a "listening to things while doing nothing else" focus that I lack.

Children of Time and bounced off both.

I really think that a lot of stress reduction and kinda self-care practices are training our constantly over-stimulated brains to just loving relax and focus on a single thing. As I said before, I got p good at that after brain surgery and due to seizure anxiety (both of which sound way more dire than they truly are, I promise!) I really see a huge difference between myself and my sister, who literally cannot put her phone down - even when she is having a conversation with someone, and between myself and my boyfriend, a lawyer, who insists on responding to emails whenever they come in - even at 11pm. The whole silencing of things and remembering that not every single stimuli needs an immediate response is really important.

How far into Children of Time did you get? I eventually stopped listening to one of the story lines toward the end (it was the less alien one). Omg. pick it up and start listening again. The first two hours are kinda a bore. Give it a chance.

Also try Semiosis (plant narrators), Cast Under an Alien Sun (fixing things and hilarity), The Gone World (time traveling crime story and also mystery), and Red Rising (the better Hunger Games).

You may actually only like Cast Under an Alien Sun so maybe start with that one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luscious posted:

How far into Children of Time did you get? I eventually stopped listening to one of the story lines toward the end (it was the less alien one). Omg. pick it up and start listening again. The first two hours are kinda a bore. Give it a chance.

4h36m apparently.

luscious posted:

You may actually only like Cast Under an Alien Sun so maybe start with that one.

kk, thanks

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Thanks to whoever recommended Children of Time a few weeks/months ago. Listened to it recently and extremely enjoyed it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Something something jumping spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Children of Time a few weeks/months ago. Listened to it recently and extremely enjoyed it.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Something something jumping spiders

The sequel came out. Totally worth it.

I finally pulled the trigger on The Golem and the Jinni - obviously going to be amazing but that I was not willing to go with before.

luscious fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 17, 2019