Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
optimal speedrunning duration is one hour this has been scientifically proven and can be applied to any videogame genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Super fast speedruns like this are what got me into watching speedruns in the first place. I don't have time to watch a 3+ hour video but I am super interested in spending hours reading the technicalities behind a 5 minute TAS.
Same. If it goes over like, 45 minutes to an hour, it'd better be something fantastic to watch the whole way like the Yoshi's Island TAS.

I love this one, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idiHqQNDyMg
Zelda 2 in just over 5 and a half minutes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dias posted:

optimal speedrunning duration is one hour this has been scientifically proven and can be applied to any videogame genre

now this I can get behind

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I think a run like that may be only be good viewing once for the "woah drat" factor and not much else after that.

And that's fine, not every run has to be super rewatchable.

Example:
https://www.speedrun.com/sml2/run/zgnel60y

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

now this I can get behind

Celeste All Hearts is just under an hour, which just proves my point.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Counter point: the greatest speedrun of all time is over 300 hours long

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Look, I can't wait around for some shampoo to get splendid hair. I've got other speed games to play!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I think a run like that may be only be good viewing once for the "woah drat" factor and not much else after that.

this how i feel pretty much. and like those 30 second glitch to credit pokemon things i dont even bother with

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Super fast speedruns like this are what got me into watching speedruns in the first place. I don't have time to watch a 3+ hour video but I am super interested in spending hours reading the technicalities behind a 5 minute TAS.

i mean, there's super technical tas runs and then there's spyro: enter the dragonfly where the final boss portal is in the initial hub area and someone can just walk up to it and basically trip through the supposedly solid barrier

it just sucks to watch beyond the initial humor aspect the first time

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, there's super technical tas runs and then there's spyro: enter the dragonfly where the final boss portal is in the initial hub area and someone can just walk up to it and basically trip through the supposedly solid barrier

Okay yeah, that's fair

That zelda TAS I linked does a LOT of bullshit in those five minutes to get to the final boss

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the alternative is actually playing enter the dragonfly so gently caress that

also excuse you it requires a headbash placed in a not particularly precise location. You can't just fall into it!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the alternative is actually playing enter the dragonfly so gently caress that

also excuse you it requires a headbash placed in a not particularly precise location. You can't just fall into it!

i'd actually find some entertainment out of watching an all-dragonfly run of the game because it's so stupidly broken in so many other ways that there's funny poo poo going on at least part of the time

like how someone can just charge at fences to go through them if they do it at a certain angle

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still perturbed all these years later that the mario 3 run that went viral was a tas.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dias posted:

Hmm yes but also there's another peak at 30 seconds.

1 hour is cool for chilling out and not overstaying your welcome. 30 seconds is for the frame war.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd actually find some entertainment out of watching an all-dragonfly run of the game because it's so stupidly broken in so many other ways that there's funny poo poo going on at least part of the time

like how someone can just charge at fences to go through them if they do it at a certain angle

Well the problem with that is
a) you'd have to have someone willing to subject themselves to the worst optimized game in the PS2 history
b) the game is so loving unstable it might crash even if you exectue everything perfectly. I poo poo you not, one of the levels has a different glitch every time you load it up. Some glitches mean you can't collect 100% gems in the leve, that's fine. Some load the level with no enemies, textures and interactables. Some will crash the game on level exit

Dias posted:

I'm in this club.

My first speedrun I've seen was that super-old Morrowind any% which was 15 minutes at the time. I've had to download the movie from Speed Demos Archive cause Youtube wasn't invented back then.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://e3.nintendo.com/tournaments/super-mario-maker-2-invitational-2019/

yellowkillerbee will be in the mario maker 2 invitational

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

eonwe posted:

https://e3.nintendo.com/tournaments/super-mario-maker-2-invitational-2019/

yellowkillerbee will be in the mario maker 2 invitational

inc YKB win?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m glad Feen made it in there but where tf is my man GPB??

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

timp posted:

"cockdick"

Feen was a good choice, and I say this as a GPB moderator

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hey, PJ started a patreon.

He wants to make tutorials for speedruns and stuff but he'd have to set aside time to record them, so decided to start one up. I already subscribe to his twitch channel but I'll chip some money in to his patreon too, and you should too since his informative videos are, well, informative and good. Hopefully he can also be convinced to upload more miscellaneous things he does like the Nuts & Bolts Alphabet Challenge he did, or more memorable regular speedrun archives. I really wish the TMNT3 videos with MechaRichter were archived but they got dusted by twitch's archive time limit. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwYYG8CZRN4&hd=1

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ubisoft is gonna show a Rayman 2 speedrun in the pre-show for their e3 conference. Run by Glackum and commentated by SpikeVegeta.

Seems kinda neat for a major game company to show off a speedrun like that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Peewi posted:

Ubisoft is gonna show a Rayman 2 speedrun in the pre-show for their e3 conference. Run by Glackum and commentated by SpikeVegeta.

Until you get loads of people whining that that's not how the game was meant to be played. Love reading comment sections of speedruns of all the people smugly saying things like, "Now let's see you play the game for real.".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Until you get loads of people whining that that's not how the game was meant to be played. Love reading comment sections of speedruns of all the people smugly saying things like, "Now let's see you play the game for real.".

And then someone uses a glitch and they really start losing their poo poo

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Which won’t be helped when one of the runners inevitably makes the usual joke of “better not mess up this trick because I don’t actually know *how* to do this the intended way!”

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Lack's youtube is gold for folks really angry about a dude who is good at zelda.

https://twitter.com/LackAttack24/status/1129879793976135690

PJ content: Here's the rundown video about that stored knockback glitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BithMSpXmg8

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Boogalo posted:

Lack's youtube is gold for folks really angry about a dude who is good at zelda.

https://twitter.com/LackAttack24/status/1129879793976135690

so good lmao “anyway keep up the good work”

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

ya feeney is really awesome too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peewi posted:

hell ya

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Power up with Pride is next weekend: https://horaro.org/puwp19/schedule

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A virtual boy game? How the hell does that work lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

site posted:

A virtual boy game? How the hell does that work lol

She has one of the few(iirc) video out modified virtual boys

it's relatively new tech

E. I haven't played Pringles in months it's gonna be a shitshow

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kikas posted:

Well the problem with that is
a) you'd have to have someone willing to subject themselves to the worst optimized game in the PS2 history
b) the game is so loving unstable it might crash even if you exectue everything perfectly. I poo poo you not, one of the levels has a different glitch every time you load it up. Some glitches mean you can't collect 100% gems in the leve, that's fine. Some load the level with no enemies, textures and interactables. Some will crash the game on level exit

From what I’ve heard, the GameCube version is at least a little better. If they would need PS2 for some reason, they would also be subject to loading times worse than Sonic 06, collectibles with almost nonexistent hitboxes that also run away from you for no good reason, useless digital controls, and random sounds and music getting stuck and playing over everything, including the pause menu and themselves, with no way to stop them other than going through said ultra-long loading screen.

Sadly, the other PS2 Spyros are also bad ideas. A Hero’s Tail, despite being an acceptable platformer with potential for speed tech, also suffers from some crash bugs that can corrupt save files, and the Legend of Spyro games are linear and boring.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

For my run of CRAP! No One Loves Me you can donate to pick my "character" (just changes the model)

Choices are, masculine, feminine and gas mask

you know which one to donate to

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SeXReX posted:

She has one of the few(iirc) video out modified virtual boys

it's relatively new tech

E. I haven't played Pringles in months it's gonna be a shitshow

not only is it new tech, according to Retronauts the only people installing and manufacturing the kits immediately folded and there will never be any more

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SeXReX posted:

For my run of CRAP! No One Loves Me you can donate to pick my "character" (just changes the model)

Choices are, masculine, feminine and gas mask

you know which one to donate to

yeah, femme

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Which gender eats the most pizza

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?