Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

With this as a close second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

E-Tank posted:

Is that from the same comic where a dying black ww2 soldier goes "Hail to the king," when time traveling Duke Nukem tells him about MLK?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDtipqEnZA
I think at least one of the makers of this mod is a goon. I've halfheartedly tried to play it a couple times but it's so daunting.

This is sort of incredible? A team of people appear to have taken all the old early 3d shooters and blended them into a multiple-game-length slurry. Daunting seems like a fair word for it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Should be noted that it's entirely standalone too, no need to own Duke or anything.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Also AMC TC was good enough for 3D Realms to pick up some of the mod team for Ion Maiden.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

E-Tank posted:

Hahahahahahaha this loving owns

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Bestheda actually recorded voices for killable children in skyrim. They know someone will mod in mortal children.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I really want to play AMC TC but I just can't bring myself to try to understand that clusterfuck. I've tried 3 times to play it and I just get lost every time. especially because I don't wanna have to walk around that HQ every time a map is finished.

Hel posted:

Is that from the same comic where a dying black ww2 soldier goes "Hail to the king," when time traveling Duke Nukem tells him about MLK?

I'm almost certain it is.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
John Romero Made A New Doom Mod And It's Great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXUqhbiFLO0

This looks.... really loving good, to be honest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

gyrobot posted:

Bestheda actually recorded voices for killable children in skyrim. They know someone will mod in mortal children.
People would probably want to kill them less if Bethesda wasn't constitutionally unable to write a child NPC that isn't completely obnoxious. Least they can do for people is prepare for the obvious result of that.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ultimate best tip in the world for SIGIL: If you want a good time, don't play it on Ultra violence. Especially for your first time, Romero intentionally made that mode ballbustingly hard to challenge veteran players.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

People would probably want to kill them less if Bethesda wasn't constitutionally unable to write a child NPC that isn't completely obnoxious. Least they can do for people is prepare for the obvious result of that.

Never met a child, huh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Haven't yet killed any, at least.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Dumb question, but whats the best way to play Sigil? Last time I played PC Doom was a few years ago and I don't remember which source port I used

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The sigil readme gives pretty good instructions on how to set up gzdoom I think so that would work.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Romero actually did a stream of him playing Sigil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49ajlxS980

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Glagha posted:

The sigil readme gives pretty good instructions on how to set up gzdoom I think so that would work.

Oh ok, that works then

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
https://youtu.be/i79ajsB4zRc

This is all my fault I’m so sorry https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46852

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I feel attacked. :(

I also feel deprived by the lack of a mudcrab pillow.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I don't know why, but the fact that this is written in past tense makes it really funny.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also A.I. has taken a break from trying to figure out how to kill us all and released an extremely awesome upscaling mod for FF7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaeYp46akuE

:eyepop: Wow, that does look really good! It almost looks like they restored it from the original renders and textures.

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDtipqEnZA
I think at least one of the makers of this mod is a goon. I've halfheartedly tried to play it a couple times but it's so daunting.

You are right that a goon worked on the mod, but I don't remember who it was.

I didn't know AMC episode 3 had come out. I didn't make it very far through the first episode, though. I have the same issue where it seems like such a massive mod, and it needs some kind of guide or documentation to go along with it.

One big issue I remember it having was dialog portions that were hard to read because of the Build engines blocky, all-caps text.

Okay, but why does it give a Fortify to Sneak? I don't see the correlation.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

You are right that a goon worked on the mod, but I don't remember who it was.

I didn't know AMC episode 3 had come out. I didn't make it very far through the first episode, though. I have the same issue where it seems like such a massive mod, and it needs some kind of guide or documentation to go along with it.

One big issue I remember it having was dialog portions that were hard to read because of the Build engines blocky, all-caps text.

Why read when you can listen to amateur voice acting and why do that when you can listen to multinational amateur voice acting?!

The main complex bits are things like you have 2 money supplies one for research (which you get for doing missions and finding treasure) and one for the player to buy upgrades for guns and expensive gold guns (get by killing things). You find research just sitting around and by shooting different enemies with the teleport gun and you can find scientists to rescue to make your research level higher. The rest is just setting your loadout and doing missions with whatever character (if you get a choice) and looking for hidden extra weapons and equipment which you can switch out the default ones for and other temporary weapons which go in the temp slot. Also there's different damage types which are good against certain enemies that block other types of damage.
There's quite a lot of game there, plus lots of extra missions which aren't part of the story and are mostly just duke3d maps made to work on the mod.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Max Wilco posted:

You've never heard of people using pillows as makeshift silencers?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Max Wilco posted:

The guy who did the scripting gave each pillow a different magical buff related to the character on it. I don’t even know what they all are, I just made the pillows as a joke. A joke that got taken waaay too far :stonklol:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I have to admit, in virtually every Bethesda game I've ever played it feels like they deliberately try to make the children as hate-able as they can. In fact, I can almost understand the mods, just because it feels really weird being a walking engine of death that murders everyone who so much as looks at you funny.... yet you can make a kid ground zero for a miniaturized nuclear blast and it won't bother her a bit. That kinda thing definitely took me out of the moment in Fallout 4, when I decided on my second playthrough to be evil and slaughter Preston's group of survivors only to discover that they were all immortal.

Granted, the mods are still way over the line for me, but I can almost understand the thinking sometimes.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 4, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I want to kill most actual, living children when interacting with them, the critical difference - like almost all Bethesda modding ideas - is that I keep that poo poo in my own brain and play nice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't actually mind them terribly. Fallout 2 shipped with killable child NPCs and punished you appropriately (with a persistent reputation that made everyone loving loathe you) if you harmed them, but nobody judges the game that harshly for it. So did Baldur's Gate 2 and probably a number of other games of that era.

I suppose it's a bit different when it's just little pixelated sprite figures, but compared to those creepy-rear end rape mods, it doesn't really seem like it justifies the outrage. I can understand not wanting to use them, but the overblown reactions they get makes me think some people are just looking for something to be judgmental about.

It's not like any of those mods do more than flip the "this NPC is invincible" switch. The screams and death animations and general hateableness were all already there.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think some longtime Fallout fans might have been traumatized by the pocket-picking little fuckers in the Den from FO2. They had a tendency to liberate unique items or Important Sidequest poo poo. The only obvious way to permanently stop them from doing this was to murder them, which pissed off half the Den and got you the Child Killer reputation, resulting in extremely heavily armed bounty hunters pursuing you for the rest of the game.

It was even worse in the version of FO2 sold in countries with laws forbidding the depiction of violence against children. Rather than removing the little bastards, this version simply removed all their dialogue and graphics, so now there were silent, invisible, untargetable pickpockets causing your poo poo to teleport from your inventory to god only knows where.

Some clever bastard eventually figured out that it was possible to arm a time bomb, put it in your pocket, and then walk through the infamous pickpocket door in the Den, which would cause the children to steal the bomb. You would then run away as fast as your legs could carry you and pretend not to know anything about the tragic explosion that killed several innocent invisible orphans.

e: a solid subset of child-NPC modders seem to be complete loving freaks though. There are some decent folks out there, like the people who make mods that let you adopt normally non-adoptable orphins in Skyrim because they feel bad for them, but it's harrowing trying to find the good mods like that without tripping over something ostensibly "allowed" that still makes your skin crawl profoundly.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
:allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I totally did that, because gently caress you, you invisible rugrats, that was my backup power armor!

Then again, I was nine at the time, so I feel like I am justified in that.

quote:

e: a solid subset of child-NPC modders seem to be complete loving freaks though.
No argument there.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 4, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
When you're a child yourself, that's fine, it's just Lord of the Flies poo poo.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I have never had the urge to murder a child-shaped being, real or fake, and ya'll making my skin crawl something fierce

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mine was a hyperbolic "I don't like kids" but given the thread it's maybe ill-advised even in jest.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I always just used the old "move a worthless item to the top of your inventory" trick so they'd steal like a xander root or something instead of one of my 3 miniguns.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It took me 20 hours to get that power armor!

...I wasn't a very patient nine year old, alright?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I always just used the old "move a worthless item to the top of your inventory" trick so they'd steal like a xander root or something instead of one of my 3 miniguns.

now I have questions about how exactly a child pickpockets a minigun

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres an episode of Voyager where Captain Janeway annihilates a nine year old with a giant cannon

It's a little more complicated than that but it's less funny with context

Orv
May 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

now I have questions about how exactly a child pickpockets a minigun

Very carefully.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

Theres an episode of Voyager where Captain Janeway annihilates a nine year old with a giant cannon

It's a little more complicated than that but it's less funny with context

Which one was that, because I can't think of a matching premise off the top of my head.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which one was that, because I can't think of a matching premise off the top of my head.

The kid is actually the wife of the caretaker from the first episode or something like that, she takes the form of a kid for some reason and tries to blow up Voyager, so Janeway has an anti-caretaker cannon made and blasts her with it near the end.

Voyager is loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta commend it for the effectiveness of its characterization, though. The moment I read your post, I thought "yeah, she would totally do that" even without knowing the context. It's not easy to convey such a strong sense of who a character is, even if that's really the best thing I can say about that show.