Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

Actually I think they can do that just fine and it'll work out for them somehow.

Nah, Jobs is who fished that turd out of the bowl back in the late 90s, and the greed elementals who run Apple now have none of that guy's vision or aesthetic.

This MacBook Air is the last Apple computer I ever plan on buying. From here on out it's custom boxes running Linux for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

megalodong posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/apple-pro-display-xdr-stand-costs-extra-999/

The display will be available in the fall, starting at $4,999, but that price doesn't include the stand. If you want the display to come on Apple's stand, as it is shown in official product images, that'll cost an extra $999. Unsurprisingly, the reaction to this news has been quite strong across social media.

plus the potential antitrust lol.

Bring on the downfall of apple.
[/quote]

Wait, so a full system will cost a total of $12,200 before taxes? Wooooow. What did the last version cost?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just have the stand break every month like their headphone adapters, there now you have a good revenue stream!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Day Man posted:

plus the potential antitrust lol.

Bring on the downfall of apple.

Wait, so a full system will cost a total of $12,200 before taxes? Wooooow. What did the last version cost?

that's the low end model. I don't think they've announced the price of the more powerful machines.

you can get up to 28 cores and 1.5 TB of RAM, I can't imagine what that would cost :stare:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I grew up in a "mac house" in the 90s because my dad has purchased every apple product we could conceivably use since the apple ii, and holy moly, they're so bad now. i remember when Mac OS10 launched and the old blocky OS's really did seem outdated - now every interface upgrade seems to remove a ton of functionality and make things more confusing, nothing runs on them, they're super expensive, and Macbooks seem to intentionally slow down (like iPhones were proven to do)

I loving despise apple products but still have a Macbook Pro from college my parents gave me and sometimes I really miss the old OS8-9 stuff I grew up with that was actually intuitive.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gey muckle mowser posted:

that's the low end model. I don't think they've announced the price of the more powerful machines.

you can get up to 28 cores and 1.5 TB of RAM, I can't imagine what that would cost :stare:

40k dollars before the Apple premium.
Thats not even the most expensive it could possibly get. The HP Z8 goes up to 3TB of Ram and you can option it out with 3 Nvidia Quadros and dual 28 core Intel CPUs at ~12k a pop. I couldnt get through the whole customizer because its awkward on mobile but i got up to ~48k before I tired of it.

Also its only for some interminable and asinine reason you arent doing design work on a normal workstation and renting time on a render farm.

Rigged Death Trap has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Jun 4, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Former DILF posted:

its never going to happen but Donald Trump being the second coming of the Trustbuster would be pretty funny ityool2019

I think he'd be happy to as long as the targeted monopolies are perceived as pro-Democrat in some way. He's never going to break up Sinclair Broadcasting or anything.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I don't think Apple is remotely in danger of becoming unprofitable, but what they might do is fail to post exponential growth every single quarter which is all the capitalists care about so even if they still make plenty of money, number might go down anyways

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imagined posted:

I think he'd be happy to as long as the targeted monopolies are perceived as pro-Democrat in some way. He's never going to break up Sinclair Broadcasting or anything.

So what you're saying is we need to convince him that Koch Industries is somehow left-leaning... I mean they donate to NPR, right wingers think that's a lefty soy boy thing to do right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Frog Act posted:

I grew up in a "mac house" in the 90s because my dad has purchased every apple product we could conceivably use since the apple ii, and holy moly, they're so bad now. i remember when Mac OS10 launched and the old blocky OS's really did seem outdated - now every interface upgrade seems to remove a ton of functionality and make things more confusing, nothing runs on them, they're super expensive, and Macbooks seem to intentionally slow down (like iPhones were proven to do)

I loving despise apple products but still have a Macbook Pro from college my parents gave me and sometimes I really miss the old OS8-9 stuff I grew up with that was actually intuitive.

I also grew up in a Mac house in the 80's/90's. We switched over to PCs around 1996 and my parents have ipads now, but yeah, they were a lot better back then when they were the underdog and fighting to survive.

At least in the 90's they could justify the premium pricing due to being a self-contained environment with excellent ease of use. Now there's nothing particularly innovative that gives them a step up over literally any competition other than inertia and other forms of brand loyalty.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
'Brand loyalty is a mental disease'

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Apple stuff (and consumer smart tech in general) is so annoying, they work so hard to hide the technical details about what is actually going on, to give that 'it just works!' appeal. I want to scream at those dialogs that say poo poo like 'We're just sorting some things out! This will just take a sec!' when you're installing something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

Apple stuff (and consumer smart tech in general) is so annoying, they work so hard to hide the technical details about what is actually going on, to give that 'it just works!' appeal. I want to scream at those dialogs that say poo poo like 'We're just sorting some things out! This will just take a sec!' when you're installing something.

That sounds more like a Windows 10 message?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

The walled garden is real, yo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

It's insidiously hard to not fall into a trap of thinking something's good so always buy that brand tbh. All computers are the same to me so luckily I don't have a care about Mac vs pc

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that that HARRISON FORD turned into H  A  R  R  I  S  O  N    F  O  R  D between the normal and directors cuts

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's insidiously hard to not fall into a trap of thinking something's good so always buy that brand tbh. All computers are the same to me so luckily I don't have a care about Mac vs pc

I mean it does make a certain amount of sense to an extent, but when it becomes blind trust without thought it's a problem. If I'm forced to choose between Toyota or Chevy off the cuff I'll take the Toyota because they have a rep for reliable trucks that I have verified in the past. But if possible I'll always verify the model I'm looking at has had good reviews or whatever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I have a "Scream 5-film set" that is really just the first 3 movies with two really lame made-for-TV "documentaries" that would be considered extras on any other release

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

everyone who uses mac will be purged when the linux nerds arise

windows users will be reeducated to use ubuntu

anyone with an opinion on DVORK keyboards will be the new leaders

ps. lol at people pretending steve jobs did anything whatsoever to make apple big, dude died drinking apple juice to cure cancer

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

T-man posted:

everyone who uses mac will be purged when the linux nerds arise

windows users will be reeducated to use ubuntu

anyone with an opinion on DVORK keyboards will be the new leaders

ps. lol at people pretending steve jobs did anything whatsoever to make apple big, dude died drinking apple juice to cure cancer

hey, i just use the computer my work gives me. last time it was a mac desktop. the new place gave me a hp laptop. I've got no say in the matter. you nerds just tell me what line to stand in when the time comes. if i get purged because i touched the wrong computer last, it will be a world id be glad to depart

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the market for computers that just loving work is huge and it’s worth a premium , especially if there’s worthwhile privacy protections thrown it

the fact that Apple products are still full of bugs and dont always work is pretty amusing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but the market for computers that actually just work doesn't exist because nobody makes those. and all modern 'smart' 'clean' software sucks because I cant even debug it on my own and ofc googling random problems with a phone app or some piece of poo poo windows app with no error dialogs gives you either no results or the developer's help ticket system that doesbt work. I'd loving kill for programs that just go 'oh whoops not enough bandwidth or hard disk space' instead of showing a spinning circle forever

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There's no worthwhile privacy in a computer you can get from a store in the mall

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah but the market for computers that actually just work doesn't exist because nobody makes those. and all modern 'smart' 'clean' software sucks because I cant even debug it on my own and ofc googling random problems with a phone app or some piece of poo poo windows app with no error dialogs gives you either no results or the developer's help ticket system that doesbt work. I'd loving kill for programs that just go 'oh whoops not enough bandwidth or hard disk space' instead of showing a spinning circle forever

I'm not sure you understand the kind of people who buy computers that just work! if you're talking about troubleshooting or debugging anything and not just immediately calling support or taking it in to yell at someone in person because it's broken

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

People are paying a premium specifically so they do not have to learn basic skills like "how to read an error dialog" or "how to use google". Part of that goes towards making stupid simple programs that never show you anything even vaguely resembling an error because that's scary, and the other part goes towards employing lots of people to be yelled at when they inevitably still can't figure out how to use the thing despite it being reduced to like, one button.

Well the part left over after 99.9% goes to stock buybacks I mean

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

When you start up a windows computer after a big update it says

"We've made some changes :) "

Also people have been saying this poo poo about Apple for years, even when jobs was alive. "lol a 'tablet' device?? So it's a computer but with the processing speed of a phone and also it can't play flash??? That'll never catch on"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

Also people have been saying this poo poo about Apple for years, even when jobs was alive. "lol a 'tablet' device?? So it's a computer but with the processing speed of a phone and also it can't play flash??? That'll never catch on"

They were right, and tablets as a market are rapidly shrinking.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

Posted from an Ipod speaker dock, with an Ipod in a sock.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

tablet sales were entirely made by people who want to feel like they're living in ~the future~ and now everyone with the itch has been disappointed because, guess what, they suck.

ps. If you kept the default password on your router anyone with strong opinions on something called gentoo could ruin your life

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

T-man posted:

tablet sales were entirely made by people who want to feel like they're living in ~the future~ and now everyone with the itch has been disappointed because, guess what, they suck.

ps. If you kept the default password on your router anyone with strong opinions on something called gentoo could ruin your life

Posted from my Juicero

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
is this where I bitch about a spinning circle being the replacement for an actual progress bar? is it working? is it doing anything? is it loving STUCK who knows enjoy this gif of a circle spinning for anywhere from 1 second to 10,000 years

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

all the companies moved from a progress bar to a spinning circle exactly because it is more obfuscatory and looks like its still working even when its stuck and because everyone got mad when the progress bar sat at 99% for a while

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Posted from my Juicero

https://youtu.be/_Cp-BGQfpHQ

some of the finest minds in engineering and fabrication made juicero

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im especially angry since I do a lot of gaming and poo poo like discord is constantly bugging out but theres usually no easy way to tell what's wrong. my favorite is I have to use a tethered cell phone because I live in the 90% of the usa's landmass without access to cable (and at&t literally wont sell you DSL anymore because they'd have to upgrade the network hub lol) and a lot of modern programs cant handle significant packet loss or bandwidth changes, so it'll just hang with no warning. like a cool one discord specifically will do is show everyone online etc but no messages will ever appear and I wont notice it's not actually connected until I try to say something. God it sucks

Anyway I know most people suck bad with computers. People at work act like I'm a wizard because our time clock dialog sometimes gets stuck behind another window on the PoS and instead of finding a terminal that doesnt have it stuck open I just alt-tab and get focus back

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Computer janitor opinions are extremely cursed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

im especially angry since I do a lot of gaming and poo poo like discord is constantly bugging out but theres usually no easy way to tell what's wrong. my favorite is I have to use a tethered cell phone because I live in the 90% of the usa's landmass without access to cable (and at&t literally wont sell you DSL anymore because they'd have to upgrade the network hub lol) and a lot of modern programs cant handle significant packet loss or bandwidth changes, so it'll just hang with no warning. like a cool one discord specifically will do is show everyone online etc but no messages will ever appear and I wont notice it's not actually connected until I try to say something. God it sucks

Anyway I know most people suck bad with computers. People at work act like I'm a wizard because our time clock dialog sometimes gets stuck behind another window on the PoS and instead of finding a terminal that doesnt have it stuck open I just alt-tab and get focus back

this is common with cellular connections, when your connection goes idle the tower will cut your IP connection. phones are designed for this, but you still may notice sometimes delays due to this on your phone (ie the first webpage takes a while to load).

if you want to keep something online continuously you need to create a ping keep alive and a reconnect script if this fails. cellular routers and bridges will have this type of feature built in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

is this where I bitch about a spinning circle being the replacement for an actual progress bar? is it working? is it doing anything? is it loving STUCK who knows enjoy this gif of a circle spinning for anywhere from 1 second to 10,000 years

I guarantee it will generate less calls to support than having an actual progress bar that gets stuck and stops moving, even if it actually does freeze.

Source: I previously wrote software for hellfuckers and we made that change for that reason and it worked

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Remember when Microsoft replaced the blue screen of death with an emoji in Windows 10 so you couldn't tell what happened because there's no longer an error code, just a :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
there's an episode of sex and the city about how the main lady trying to get her data recovered after getting a "sad mac" screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSZJXhOvBw

from 2001