Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wamdoodle posted:

This except just kill me instead

Whynotboth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Had this thought last night, is Doom's chaingun the most pathetic sounding gun in a video game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It might be the most pathetic sounding chaingun anyway. I can think of some wimpier sounding weapons — the Halo 2 SMG sounds like it’s shooting jellybeans.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I like the chaingun noise but it does feel like a little machine gun rather than a minigun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

Had this thought last night, is Doom's chaingun the most pathetic sounding gun in a video game

It sounds like the pistol on some kind of turbo alt fire. Is it just the pistol sound effect?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chaosapiant posted:

It sounds like the pistol on some kind of turbo alt fire. Is it just the pistol sound effect?
Yes. The chaingunners/Spider Mastermind sound beefier because they use the shotgun sound effect instead.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I hate the Doom Pistol, Chaingun and Plasma. They all feel and sound awful. But it also has the Shotgun, SSG and Chainsaw, so it evens out I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I do like the plasma rifle. It's neat when an enemy is fairly close, you start firing, and you can't see poo poo until the smoke clears and it's just bodies. The bodies that hit the floor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I do like the plasma rifle. It's neat when an enemy is fairly close, you start firing, and you can't see poo poo until the smoke clears and it's just bodies. The bodies that hit the floor.

Scythe Map32 is really fun for this, just jammed in a tiny space with only your plasma rifle and a ton of bodies to take out and you just have to keep firing and hope they die before you do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like the audio for Doom’s plasma gun. As a kid, it always made me think of a robotic hog.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

site posted:

That award goes to the pistol from Doom 3

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like the audio for Doom’s plasma gun. As a kid, it always made me think of a robotic hog.

As a kid, I can say that a robotic hog has never occurred to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good soup! posted:

That award goes to the pistol from Doom 3

Speaking of Doom 3, is there a mod that replaces the sound effects for Doom 3: BFG Edition? I'd heard that there was an audio pack with Trent Reznor doing mouth noises or whatever for the guns. Does that really exist?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Doom 3, is there a mod that replaces the sound effects for Doom 3: BFG Edition? I'd heard that there was an audio pack with Trent Reznor doing mouth noises or whatever for the guns. Does that really exist?

i hope this exists

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There is and it's good

https://gamebanana.com/sounds/352

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Just replacing the Doom pistol sounds makes an amazing difference in how the pistol & chaingun are perceived. It can do the same middling damage but you still feel like you’re laying down some pain if there’s a beefy sfx accompanying it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's a Trent Reznor sound pack for Doom 3 (the ones he was making before leaving Doom 3's dev cycle) but I don't know how to make it work for Doom 3 BFG edition. There are mod tools for it but being honest, I have no intention on learning how to use them due to my little interest in the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like Doom 3. I started playing a second playthru on Hard Mode and am using my 7.1 wireless headphones and it's pretty great!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like the plasma gun, but I always found the sound for it to be a little weak. But weak in a way I like? It's just a load of loud pew-pew laser sounds slammed together, but it feels like it'd fit in just fine in, say, Blake Stone, and I dig that.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’m sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but what’s the best Doom launcher? Something that can manage GZDoom versions, mods, etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally i like ZDL but if you dont find it's for you take a browse through the zdoom forums because there are a ton of them

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pathos posted:

I’m sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but what’s the best Doom launcher? Something that can manage GZDoom versions, mods, etc.

I swear by the one simply titled “doom launcher.”

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chaosapiant posted:

I like Doom 3. I started playing a second playthru on Hard Mode and am using my 7.1 wireless headphones and it's pretty great!

i will always 100% support doom 3 in that it's pretty solid as long as someone knows what to expect and isn't looking for something else entirely

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blood question: What's the Made To Order setting that lets me set just the tiniest bit of a goddamn delay on these cultists' hair triggers? I basically want Lightly Broiled but being able to beat these guys to the first shot 50% of the time. The game has difficulty levels like "extra crispy" and I don't understand how that translates to the actual monsters being "medium aggressive" in Made to Order. I guess I could also just super lower player damage and they keep their superhuman reaction times.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Cat Mattress posted:

You'll want something like this, then:

Note that resize is turned off for textures and sprites, and on only for fonts.

Thanks, to you and everyone else who responded.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What FPS has the closest to perfect arsenal? This includes the sound effects, the animations, usability, balance, etc.

Anyway it's Half-Life 1's.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Maybe someone can help me figure what I'm doing wrong here. Whenever I launch High Noon Drifter whether through zdl or just dropping the pk3 onto gzdoom and selecting a wad everything seems fine but ammo doesn't replenish correctly. Ammo pickups fill the counters on the side of the ammo count, but the number itself never grows. Only way to get ammo is by picking up guns in place in the level.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What FPS has the closest to perfect arsenal? This includes the sound effects, the animations, usability, balance, etc.

I'd say Doom 2, as with the exception of the pistol every weapon remains useful throughout. It's like having a selection of tools for every occasion, the shotgun for sniping, SSG for close quarters, chaingun for crowd control or, if tapping, a decent long distance rifle, rockets for sheer power and radius, plasma rifle for speedy annihilation and the BFG for all out :hellyeah: mayhem. Also chainsaw for stunlocking pinky demons or lost souls.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Actual feedback could use some work but definitely the first and third Serious Sam titles since they're basically puzzle games so each gun has a specific role depending on the enemy type. Serious Sam 2 isn't even worth remembering.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Stanky Bean posted:

Maybe someone can help me figure what I'm doing wrong here. Whenever I launch High Noon Drifter whether through zdl or just dropping the pk3 onto gzdoom and selecting a wad everything seems fine but ammo doesn't replenish correctly. Ammo pickups fill the counters on the side of the ammo count, but the number itself never grows. Only way to get ammo is by picking up guns in place in the level.

For most weapons in HND, the actual numeric value on the HUD is just however many bullets are currently loaded into the gun, you'll have to reload them eventually.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 4, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pathos posted:

I use ZDL, although this one looks interesting, to allow to have presets with different mods and wads

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Kadorhal posted:

For most weapons in HND, the actual numeric value on the HUD is just however many bullets are currently loaded into the gun, you'll have to reload them eventually.

Wow do I feel stupid. I guess I'm just not used to pressing reload in doom

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I normally use ZDL, but it has a simple bug that caused me hours of aggravation that I'd like to save others from. Launching a deathmatch game with it won't work, because it sends the command line parameter "-deathmath".

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The high-pitched BWAAAAAAAAAAP sound coming through tinny PC speakers of old always sounded incredible to me, it's an aural sensation not many games have replicated in the decades since.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pathos posted:

I really like Quickly Launchering GZDoom from the OP.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The MP5 is the gun they expect you to use as your primary weapon for at least 40% of the game and it sucks.

My vote goes to Perfect Dark. Nobody does weapon feedback better than Rare did in those N64 shooters - the simple act of firing a gun is enjoyable regardless of what you're aiming at. And when you do aim at an enemy, you're treated to best-in-class hit reactions. They also thread the creativity vs practicality needle by using secondary fire modes to house all the wacky gimmicks, so you can have your biorifle nonsense and something functional all in the same gun.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I love all weapons in F.E.A.R., even that piddly stake gun. Wrecking fools with dual wielded pistols in slomo never gets old.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

szary posted:

I love all weapons in F.E.A.R., even that piddly stake gun.

I dunno, that "wha-THUMP" is pretty satisfying. Shotguns in that series are great too, they just destroy guys. It's nice and chunky in 2, but 1's vaporisation and taking chunks out of concrete walls? gently caress yeah.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

szary posted:

I love all weapons in F.E.A.R., even that piddly stake gun. Wrecking fools with dual wielded pistols in slomo never gets old.

You just reminded me of painkillers stake gun, which was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Turin Turambar posted:

I use ZDL, although this one looks interesting, to allow to have presets with different mods and wads

This one seems great actually! Thanks!