Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I love the idea that it's even physically possible to dissipate 550 watts off a GPU inside a poo poo-rear end Apple case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Given the macbook thing last year maybe it isn't and that wouldn't stop them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So I ran some quick numbers and their top end CPU is a $7,453 part, which is differentiated by the non-M version -- a $4,449 part -- by the fact that the IMC only has one of its top two address bits fused off. No -L version (no bits fused off) seems to exist, otherwise I'm sure Apple would have put it in there. The graphics cards are dual-GPU pro versions of $700 cards. A Supermicro mobo that supports all that is... $500.

The big "wait, how are you doing this" really is in the RAM; the best price I can get on 128 GB 2933 MHz DIMMs going purely by NFR discount from one of my work vendors is $2800.

So presumably the cost of a fully loaded Mac Pro is going to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of (3000*12 + 4500 + 500 + 1500*2 + 7500) or around $50k before the Apple Tax.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Finally, a new passively cooled GPU

450w over the motherboard. And they support two of these cards. That's 900w + 300w for the CPU, all over board traces. Jesus. I want to know what made them go with board power over normal external wires, because that's insane.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i think the giant brick double GPU card is cool. not sure why anyone would think its not cool because its obviously cool

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Isn't the consensus on dual GPUs "dumb and cool, in that order"? That was always my impression.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For compute it seems like it would just be cool. What are all the thunderbolt ports for, though? Running a media wall off you compute machine?

eames
May 9, 2009

Stickman posted:

For compute it seems like it would just be cool. What are all the thunderbolt ports for, though? Running a media wall off you compute machine?

AMD teased some GPUs with onboard SSDs a while back, makes me wonder if the thunderbolt ports are for direct access to a SAN or similar. It'd require extensive software support but could potentially save a lot of bus bandwidth.

eames fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That crossed my mind, but seemed too out there to suggest. That'd be a pretty nice boost to large compute projects if they get it working!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
AMD has dual gpu cards that are used for cloud gaming like that new google stadia. 2 gpus each attached to a pcie switch connected to the host.

The cloud dudes are buying a heck of a lot of these.

E: oh shiz it looks like those cards for apple are too. That’s a pcie switch chip most likely right by the first set of fingers.

priznat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 4, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I wonder which performs better under server conditions, a pair of 2-slot single-GPU cards or a single quad-slot dual-GPU card?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 4, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Used rtx2080 update: I requested refund from seller and he said ok and that I could just keep the card? Wat?

This was all done via those recorded Amazon buyer/seller emails...

I actually asked for confirmation/ clarification and they reiterated o.o

Guys I'm scared lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a bomb

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Statutory Ape posted:

Used rtx2080 update: I requested refund from seller and he said ok and that I could just keep the card? Wat?

This was all done via those recorded Amazon buyer/seller emails...

I actually asked for confirmation/ clarification and they reiterated o.o

Guys I'm scared lol

He got caught out. He sold it fully knowing it was bust. Just take the money.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

otoh As soon as I get my money I now have a very expensive video card to try and fix for $0

tbh this is best case especially with likely impending price drops on rtx

if I fix this maybe I can flip it towards subsidizing , in part, an rtx 2080ti

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is it Anime Schoolgirl who's always looking for single slot GPUs or someone else?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/best-gtx-1660-ti-colorful-single-slot

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

AMD got a licensing deal with Samsung so Samsung can use the RDNA uArch in mobile devices.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-samsung-rdna-graphics-ip,39563.html

It's pretty interesting and another pretty big win for AMD. Their Adreno IP that they sold off was pre-GCN, right?

This is going back a bit, but AT thinks that this is just a patent deal to cover Samsung's in house GPU design from litigation.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14483/samsung-and-amd-announce-multiyear-strategic-graphics-ip-licensing-deal-for-slsi-mobile-gpus

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

tehinternet posted:

I love hearing the “oh I got a Mac because they’re SO much better at video,”

I haven’t kept up with it since that was vaguely true, I assume that a PC with a 2080 and an i9/Zen 2 would poo poo on whatever a Mac can roll out now

Well, Mac video editing is pretty much Adobe Premiere after Apple neutered Final Pro. And at that point, it's just about differences in hardware, and PC land gets you a lot more powerful hardware at the Apple price point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m pretty sure the mac pro business model is high end computer for people who don’t know how to or have any interest in building their own, want good support and have to spend their entire compute budget or they get it cut down for next fiscal year.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

Is it Anime Schoolgirl who's always looking for single slot GPUs or someone else?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/best-gtx-1660-ti-colorful-single-slot

Single slot AND low-profile, but at that point, you might as well just put a waterblock on it, jfc, a low-profile blower x60Ti card in <current year argument>

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

priznat posted:

I’m pretty sure the mac pro business model is high end computer for people who don’t know how to or have any interest in building their own, want good support and have to spend their entire compute budget or they get it cut down for next fiscal year.

The business model of the new Pro is to basically replace the ~$40k 4k/8k video editing workstations that use $30k monitors (and even with those monitors most can't maintain the sustained nits the $5k Apple display is reportedly outputting). For the above scenario, their model is the iMacPro or MacMini with a TB3 external GPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just realized that a base iMac Pro comes with the same core count, the same ECC RAM amount, 4x the SSD storage, a significantly better GPU and a free retina screen for $1000 less than the base Mac Pro without a screen. :downs:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Statutory Ape posted:

otoh As soon as I get my money I now have a very expensive video card to try and fix for $0

tbh this is best case especially with likely impending price drops on rtx

if I fix this maybe I can flip it towards subsidizing , in part, an rtx 2080ti

They sell as broken/ spare parts for a decent amount.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

eames posted:

I just realized that a base iMac Pro comes with the same core count, the same ECC RAM amount, 4x the SSD storage, a significantly better GPU and a free retina screen for $1000 less than the base Mac Pro without a screen. :downs:

I don't know whats more absurd: the staggering price difference you just pointed out or the fact that the iMac Pro is practically un-upgradeable and actually dangerous to even attempt such.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've never flashed a bios on a video card, does anybody have a link to a how to or similar? I think I'll try that first on the rtx 2080. I just want to put the correct one in there, nothing fancy or whatever

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Statutory Ape posted:

I've never flashed a bios on a video card, does anybody have a link to a how to or similar? I think I'll try that first on the rtx 2080. I just want to put the correct one in there, nothing fancy or whatever

I've honestly never done it myself, but this seems like a pretty straightforward and comprehensive guide from a website I know isn't full of poo poo: https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/how_to_flash_rtx_bios/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They sell as broken/ spare parts for a decent amount.

If you go this route, photograph it carefully including serial number, and have a friend video yourself putting it in the box and giving it to the postal worker / drop box. That way you're more protected from switcheroos and other shenanigans.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what can we discern from this?

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 4, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That your GPU is allegedly pulling 500 loving watts which is why it's throttled to absolute minimum.

Note that very clearly it's not, which is why I say allegedly. It'd be way hotter if it was.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 4, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That your GPU is only operating on PCIe 2.0, which is another worrying indicator, if you're not running it on like, a 2500K still.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That your GPU is only operating on PCIe 2.0, which is another worrying indicator, if you're not running it on like, a 2500K still.

Yeah that is weird, the 2.0 was the max rate and it was currently running at 1.1, which is normal gpu behaviour when not under load, but the max of 2.0 is odd.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its an AS Rock b450m Pro 4 mobo if thats any use :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Throttling due to thermals (see the PerfCap Reason graph) is not normal at any rate - usually you see "util(ization)" (when idling), Pwr (load, power limit) or Vrel (voltage reliability, the default state under load without hitting the power limit) on a working card.

The PerfCap graph looks like the card boosts into the power limit and immediately gets shut down due to thermal throttling over and over again.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There is a lot of wrong information getting reported on that. That power offset isn't even possible without physically modifying the board, the power draw is wrong, it says its at the thermal limit at 42c, etc.

It could be the BIOS, it could be the PCIe power cables confusing the shunt resistor monitoring, or it could be that one of the voltage controllers or smart power balancing stuff they added on the 2080 is just not working right. The reference PCB uses really high end voltage controllers (MP2888 i think), but that doesnt mean one couldn't get dead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is that a recent gpu-z? Haven’t used that in a while tbh.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If you go this route, photograph it carefully including serial number, and have a friend video yourself putting it in the box and giving it to the postal worker / drop box. That way you're more protected from switcheroos and other shenanigans.

Selling "for parts/not working" is actually quite a bit safer than selling used cards, because so long as you don't put anything blatantly wrong in the description the buyer can't force a "not as described" return. Just keep the description simple and make it clear that it doesn't work. Don't talk about the ways it does work. If they do try to open a complaint, just call ebay and get it closed. Definitely ship with delivery confirmation, though!

That said, because it's Gigabyte it should be pretty easy to try an RMA with the transferable warranty. So long as there isn't PCB damage or it's something weird like a GTX 580 with a 2080 shroud, it'll work fine.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 4, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Am I crazy, or does Ape's problems sound like the ones that NVidia claimed were "affecting a limited number of customers", and a BIOS flash might be in order?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Am I crazy, or does Ape's problems sound like the ones that NVidia claimed were "affecting a limited number of customers", and a BIOS flash might be in order?

I flashed the bios (idk, could be i flashed it to the wrong one, but it didnt brick and still acts exactly the same) and yes i thought the same as you

It is a gigabyte part but I just got off the phone w theur customer support and its a card from Sweden so theres no US coverage :/ I'm far more likely to just sell it for parts than sell it to somebody in sweden so they can maybe get gigabyte to cover it. Viewing completed ebay listings tell me that i likely have made 250-400 on the deal at best, and at worst, lost nothing but some time.

ofc if anybody has more ideas on how to actually get it to work, im all ears :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

I flashed the bios (idk, could be i flashed it to the wrong one, but it didnt brick and still acts exactly the same) and yes i thought the same as you

It is a gigabyte part but I just got off the phone w theur customer support and its a card from Sweden so theres no US coverage :/ Idk if this is valuable information or not

So you’re saying it’s bork bork borked? (Sorry)

(Not sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

It is a gigabyte part but I just got off the phone w theur customer support and its a card from Sweden so theres no US coverage :/ I'm far more likely to just sell it for parts than sell it to somebody in sweden so they can maybe get gigabyte to cover it. Viewing completed ebay listings tell me that i likely have made 250-400 on the deal at best, and at worst, lost nothing but some time.

ofc if anybody has more ideas on how to actually get it to work, im all ears :shrug:

Sell it. You clearly do not have the knowledge to approach repairing the thing, you shouldn't trust someone else to do it, and who knows what else the idiot who sold it to you did to break it besides their failed power mod attempt or whatever it was. Even if you got it working again, who knows when it would break again? Just let it be someone else's problem and walk away with the cash.