Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

K8.0 posted:

I bet under 1% of Netflix consumption is 4k.

Practically any TV that is more than 40" and sold in the last 3 years is 4K and probably have Netflix built in. I know 4k probably isn't the most of their usage, but it's got to be more than 1%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also to add something on topic, I thought this was a useful chart.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I'm gathering the reason that the X370/B350 boards get a "selective beta BIOS" is because adding support for Zen2 makes them stop working with old Excavator CPUs. That makes the boards go out of spec with what's printed on the box, so it will always be called "beta" just for rear end-covering reasons.

Why can the 470s keep working with old chips when the 370s can't?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There are an increasing number of 3600 leaks and it looks like memory latency will be lower than zen/zen+. That's pretty awesome.

Klyith posted:

So I'm gathering the reason that the X370/B350 boards get a "selective beta BIOS" is because adding support for Zen2 makes them stop working with old Excavator CPUs. That makes the boards go out of spec with what's printed on the box, so it will always be called "beta" just for rear end-covering reasons.

Why can the 470s keep working with old chips when the 370s can't?
Boards with smaller amounts of onboard memory can't support excavator and zen,zen+,zen2 at the same time. They lack the physical memory to do so. Dropping the ancient Excavators from the bios makes the most sense. I believe this effects some x370/b350/b450 boards but not all. I don't think it impacts x470.

It requiring a beta bios for b350/x370 is probably partially because those are no longer being manufactured and haven't been for some time. That's a lack of incentive for thorough testing from motherboard manufacturers. B450+X570 will definitely be actively made throughout early zen2 life. And probably x470 will as well due to the price difference and the fact that AMD is moving more motherboards than Intel right now in the consumer diy desktop space. I'd expect b450+x470 to have zen2 ready stickers on them in stores.

The weirder thing is dropping gen1 support from x570.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 4, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ryzen Master is good. The UEFI on my Asus Prime B350 board was always aesthetically tragic, but my mouse doesn't work in the menu, so it's completely unusable, so it's really helping me out.

I don't think I won the silicon lottery with my R7 1700 since I'm looking at 3.7GHz at 1.3V, but I'm a few hours into an Aida 64 run and I'm not getting any throttling, stable at 86° and it's pretty much completely silent.

The 130W draw on the 65W CPU is pretty :science:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

Boards with smaller amounts of onboard memory can't support excavator and zen,zen+,zen2 at the same time. They lack the physical memory to do so. Dropping the ancient Excavators from the bios makes the most sense. I believe this effects some x370/b350/b450 boards but not all. I don't think it impacts x470.

There are X470 boards with 128 mbit chips too. 256 mbit is not a hard requirement for X470, nor has Excavator been dropped from X470. There are X370 boards that support Zen and A320 boards that don't.

This one is marketing-driven. It kinda sounds like some A320 boards may get "unofficial" BIOSs that support it, and AMD probably isn't going to fight OEMs who do it, but the official word is no.

Khorne posted:

The weirder thing is dropping gen1 support from x570.

This one I think comes down to support requirements. AMD is writing the PCH kernels for their own hardware now, I think they didn't want to support more than they (reasonably) had to. I think if they had kept on with Asmedia chipsets they probably would have supported X370. But now they have bigger problems on their hands... namely supporting Zen+ and Zen2 on a brand new chipset.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if AMD released Zen support in some future BIOS a year or so down the road once they actually have X570 hammered down.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 4, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Ryzen Master is good. The UEFI on my Asus Prime B350 board was always aesthetically tragic, but my mouse doesn't work in the menu, so it's completely unusable, so it's really helping me out.

I don't think I won the silicon lottery with my R7 1700 since I'm looking at 3.7GHz at 1.3V, but I'm a few hours into an Aida 64 run and I'm not getting any throttling, stable at 86° and it's pretty much completely silent.

The 130W draw on the 65W CPU is pretty :science:

mouse? people use mouse? :confused:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Risky Bisquick posted:

mouse? people use mouse? :confused:

I've enjoyed using a mouse in the UEFI since my 2011 Sandy Bridge system, why not? I can't remember if my Phenom POS before that had it, but I think it did.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The BIOS on whatever my 2500k is in lags something fierce when you try and use the mouse in basic mode, and if you press advanced it's keyboard only. There's an all in one unit at work that we have several of that I hate with a passion. The BIOS is mouse only with really tiny font so 3 pages all fit on a single screen. It also has really janky mouse support. The new computers I bought don't have mouse support at all in BIOS and I for one am glad.

I have never seen a mouse not be a stuttery laggy mess in BIOS / UEFI.

Done right, it could be an advantage, but like most simple things, a keyboard is just faster.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Despite my best efforts and experimentation, some options literally cannot be selected in my UEFI menu without a mouse. It's incredibly goddamn frustrating.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Despite my best efforts and experimentation, some options literally cannot be selected in my UEFI menu without a mouse. It's incredibly goddamn frustrating.

Get a cheap $5 mouse for the UEFI?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The only way to set fan curves in my MSI x370 bios is by mouse. But the mouse movement is acceptable -- not as smooth as windows but good enough to set the curve points to exact numbers. And it works fine with a G700 wireless mouse via both the wireless receiver and direct plug-in connection.

The bios is actually nicer to work with than their "command center" software utility which had an annoying UI, plus installed a background service that was always crashing (silently, I only noticed because I happened to look in the event log and saw dozens of "blabla MSI service stopped unexpectedly and was restarted" events).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Get a cheap $5 mouse for the UEFI?

Ryzen Master does it and loads on startup, so :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lowen SoDium posted:

Practically any TV that is more than 40" and sold in the last 3 years is 4K and probably have Netflix built in. I know 4k probably isn't the most of their usage, but it's got to be more than 1%.

Considering 4k costs extra with Netflix, low viewership numbers for 4k content seem realistic to me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

Ryzen Master does it and loads on startup, so :shrug:

Does it actually load profiles on startup now?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
HardwareUnboxed throws shade at AdoredTV in his preferred long-form format.

they actually are being nice about it, and ask people to be nice too.

It's a good video, they do a bit of mythbusting on the whole "specs can change up to the last minute!!!" and "AMD would have released at Adored's prices if we had only believed harder!!!" junk that's been floating around.

Apparently "industry sources" asked them not to run coverage on Adored's stuff back in December because it was inaccurate... A partner might have told them it was inaccurate but given that they were specifically asked not to run coverage I have to imagine that AMD themselves were trying to throw cold water on that rumor :lol:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 5, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a good video, they do a bit of mythbusting on the whole "specs can change up to the last minute!!!" and "AMD would have released at Adored's prices if we had only believed harder!!!" junk that's been floating around.

Is this actually a thing, outside of perhaps Adored themselves? It was pretty clear that the Adored "leak" was bunk as soon as CES was over since they listed CES as the announcement date.

I'm glad those "leaks" didn't have any apparent negative effects on the Zen 2 reception. The chips are good values as released, but I could have understood some blowback if people were seriously expecting $99 6 core chips that challenged I5s.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have to imagine that AMD themselves were trying to throw cold water on that rumor :lol:

yeah, those kinda rumors do them no favors, both with keeping Zen+ stock moving and the hype backfire when the future product doesn't meet the crazy expectations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

orcane posted:

Does it actually load profiles on startup now?

Has been the last day or so for me

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

yeah, those kinda rumors do them no favors, both with keeping Zen+ stock moving and the hype backfire when the future product doesn't meet the crazy expectations.

Conspiracy theory: Intel was trying to Osbourne effect the problem away.

But yeah, if you take Adored as anything other than entertainment, you're going to be left sour.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Wrong thread

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
When can I build a 3600 system with a micro atx 570? It seems like everything is atx or itx.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JacksAngryBiome posted:

When can I build a 3600 system with a micro atx 570? It seems like everything is atx or itx.

What's the point of micro ATX? If you want a tiny PC you get ITX and if you want a big PC you might as well go regular ATX. If half height PCIe cards and poo poo had taken off more then micro atx would have sort of a reason for existing in PCs that are supposed to sit side-down on desks, but so far, that's only really relevant for Dell Optiplex style office boxes.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of AdoredTV, lets see how he rationalises things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j2exh5lwmE

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

suck my woke dick posted:

What's the point of micro ATX? If you want a tiny PC you get ITX and if you want a big PC you might as well go regular ATX. If half height PCIe cards and poo poo had taken off more then micro atx would have sort of a reason for existing in PCs that are supposed to sit side-down on desks, but so far, that's only really relevant for Dell Optiplex style office boxes.

some of us just have dumb standard atx cases with poor cable management and need the extra space to route cables from under the board up to where the bottom i/o is situated ok

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

I want a tiny pc that can take 4 sticks of ram. Small apartment, big data.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I want a tiny pc that can take 4 sticks of ram. Small apartment, big data.

...but the average mATX case isn't actually that tiny? I guess you could get an Optiplex 7xxx for real and put in more RAM.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

some of us just have dumb standard atx cases with poor cable management and need the extra space to route cables from under the board up to where the bottom i/o is situated ok

Then you should get a better case, e.g. a Dell Precision case with the ancient hardware taken out (the case of the gods, there is no better case at any price).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Height being the only difference means mATX doesn't have much of a reason for existing in world of plenty of compact mid-tower cases (eyeing the Define C or Meshify C, personally). A smaller footprint is valuable and why I'm looking at ITX cases as well, but height? A few cm more or less don't really matter.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lambert posted:

Height being the only difference means mATX doesn't have much of a reason for existing in world of plenty of compact mid-tower cases (eyeing the Define C or Meshify C, personally). A smaller footprint is valuable and why I'm looking at ITX cases as well, but height? A few cm more or less don't really matter.

I have a fractal case and a bequiet case and while they're both nice I'm totally serious that a surplus dell workstation case (from the t5600 onwards, the older ones were meh) is the best case known to man and the only one that solves PCIe card mounting in an acceptable way. Plus, it has handles and lift-out side panels that don't suck. The only downside is you'll need to mount the power/reset/LEDs connector to the board using jumper wires since they're stuck together in one block that only matches Dell mainboards, and maybe put an adapter on the ATX power supply connector to make it standard compliant if you keep using the dell PSU.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 5, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If your point of comparison for mATX cases are mini-towers that aren't much smaller than a Fractal Design C, then let me point out that the Fractal so-called "Nano" ITX case is bigger than a Bitfinex Prodigy mATX case. mATX can be pretty drat small -- you deal with some limitations in storage capacity and layout clutter, but the same goes for any compact case.

I sometimes kick myself for continuing to buy full ATX motherboards -- even though my main PC is a big ATX tower and I don't feel the need to make it smaller, if I'd been using mATX this whole time I could put the old parts into a smal case for the spare / guestroom PC. But I'd never go for ITX because I want a real sound card.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ATX sometimes gets extra bells and whistles, and usually always gets more RAM slots, but I would wager that most PC builders only addon card is a GPU. I could see some specialized cases where you might toss in a network card to get more speed, but I would wager most dont.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

For some reason a lot of SFF cases use micro-ATX. It's not that it is that much smaller as a board, it's that the cases are much smaller. Apart from Cerberus-X you rarely see ATX cases that attempt to cut down on excess space.

Also, arguably today it's the other way around and most people don't really need the extra expansion that full ATX is capable of. Most people have one GPU and everything else is onboard, mATX leaves you a little more expansion room than mITX just in case but you aren't running a USB card and a sound card and so on anymore.

Thing is mATX boards are always poo poo in comparison, I don't know if it's less space available for VRMs and stuff or whether mATX is just seen as a "cost-reduced" form factor but mobo companies always treat it like the red-headed stepchild. Sometimes they are actually worse than the nicer ITX boards.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I understand that usually buying the most expensive in a product line isneedless, and that the second tier is probably the best bet for most people. I'm still relying on a zeon x5660 and plan on getting the 3900x, because I'm going to be editing a lot of 4k footage (from a BMPC4K). I already convinced myself 24 threads would be much better than 16, so I'm wondering if I'm making the wisest decision with my money 🤔 any second opinions??

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Penpal posted:

I understand that usually buying the most expensive in a product line isneedless, and that the second tier is probably the best bet for most people. I'm still relying on a zeon x5660 and plan on getting the 3900x, because I'm going to be editing a lot of 4k footage (from a BMPC4K). I already convinced myself 24 threads would be much better than 16, so I'm wondering if I'm making the wisest decision with my money 🤔 any second opinions??
From the lineup, the core pricing is fairly linear except for the 3600, which is cheaper, and the 3800x, which is notably more expensive. Given the extra cache and higher clocks, the 3900x is priced more aggressively than everything except the 3600.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Because of the vagaries of binning and "boost clock", we still don't have a 100% certain answer on what's the best value parts in the lineup. Will the 3800X boost higher than the 3700X under all-core load? (that extra 30W has to be going somewhere...) Or can you increase the power limit on the 3700X and get almost as far as a 3800X? Or is the 3700X enough of a poorer bin that that won't really work?

Gotta wait until reviews come out for a definitive answer. But, the 3700X and the 3900X look to be the best choices in the lineup so far. The 3800X looks like a price decoy to help people mentally get over the $200 bump to the 3900X.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I want to buy a new Ryzen 5 CPU when the new series is released, in hopes that they'll drop in price. Or will they go out of stock instead? :confused: Should I buy now or wait a few weeks to see if they'll go any lower?

EDIT:
↓ ↓ ↓ You're probably right. Amazon keeps giving me "ONLY X LEFT IN STOCK!" messages but I should know that that's just bullshit they say to get people to buy faster-- and it totally works.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 5, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Measly Twerp posted:

Speaking of AdoredTV, lets see how he rationalises things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j2exh5lwmE

How about we not?

Adored is the Trump tweet of the tech world. It's importance only exists insofar as people keep talking about it, and without air it disappears. There's good reason he's banned from r/hardware.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of speculation that may or may not be true: Demerjian's got a new piece out on Intel: https://semiaccurate.com/2019/06/05/a-look-at-intels-ice-lake-and-sunny-cove/

Big takeaway: Holy poo poo, where are the Ryzen 4000 APUs with Zen2 + Navi, Intel's showing off this massive giant glowing weak spot that's just screaming, "ATTACK HERE FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ema Nymton posted:

I want to buy a new Ryzen 5 CPU when the new series is released, in hopes that they'll drop in price. Or will they go out of stock instead? :confused: Should I buy now or wait a few weeks to see if they'll go any lower?

EDIT:
↓ ↓ ↓ You're probably right. Amazon keeps giving me "ONLY X LEFT IN STOCK!" messages but I should know that that's just bullshit they say to get people to buy faster-- and it totally works.
There's this if you want last/current gen and live in Europe:

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1136279449677250560