Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Metapod posted:

Lmfao Peterson is first ballot

this is probably true, but in a world where TO got kept waiting just cause he was a whiny baby it's unjust and depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think Peterson gets left off the first ballot in protest, but breezes in on the second.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1133806401418072066?s=19

It's funny because it's true.

:smith:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Metapod posted:

Lmfao Peterson is first ballot

Is he?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wouldn't bet against it, not if he compiles a few more decently impressive seasons and especially not if he keeps his head down until he's eligible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I just assume that the HoF votes don't give a fig about child abuse, which in their minds is probably more like child education. What's wrong with disciplining your child? they'll think to themselves

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Peter King basically said Darren Sharpers serial raping should not keep him out of the hall

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Peter King basically said Darren Sharpers serial raping should not keep him out of the hall

what do you think this is, the Hall of Guys Who Never Rape?? because no. whatever it is it's definitely not that

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yes, Ben Roethlisberger will be in the HoF, we all know this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Yes, Ben Roethlisberger will be in the HoF, we all know this.

[HoF voter’s inner monologue] yeah but her shirt said she was dtf so like,,

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

You may as well just vote Big Ben in, it's not like he's gonna ask permission.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

He's an all time great and the best hb this decade yes he's first ballot

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tomlinson was first ballot.

And while he may be a less complete running back, Peterson was rushing leader 3 times, was MVP, was all-pro at age 30, and is #2 on the single season rushing record list. He was the unquestioned best RB for a good 4-5 years, that counts for something

Anything less than 2nd ballot would be surprising

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Tomlinson was first ballot.

And while he may be a less complete running back, Peterson was rushing leader 3 times, was MVP, was all-pro at age 30, and is #2 on the single season rushing record list. He was the unquestioned best RB for a good 4-5 years, that counts for something

Anything less than 2nd ballot would be surprising

Tomlinson also didn't engage in disciplinary CBT with a child

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indigi posted:

Tomlinson also didn't engage in disciplinary CBT with a child

We've already discussed that we don't think the voters will put a lot of weight on that as opposed to his football accomplishments. I guess we'll see though

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Speaking of future Hall of Famers,

https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/1135588165291597825

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Even if he won a super bowl DeSean doesn't deserve to sniff the HoF

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The greatest deep threat wide receiver in the history of the NFL won't make the Hall of Fame? C'mon.

Granted, it may have been close before, but give him a few years with Wentz and the numbers will more closely match the highlight clips

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jackson is currently 45th on the career receiving yards list, within a thousand yards of contemporaries like Donald Driver, Roddy White, and Santana Moss. Even if had added another 3,000 to his career, he'd be in the same category as guys like Henry Ellard, Tony Holt, Irving Fryar, Anquan Boldin, and Andre Johnson, and outside the top 10 all time (And given other players currently playing, like Julio Jones and Antonio Brown, maybe outside the top 15).

Jackson has 53 career receiving touchdowns, tied for 109th with Dallas Clark, Eric Decker, and Isaac Curtis. Even if he added another 30, he'd be one or two ahead of players like Boldin, Reggie Wayne & Steve Smith (Both would still be well ahead on the yardage list), tied with Calvin Johnson & Brandon Marshall, and still behind guys like Andre Rison, Irving Fryar, Hines Ward, and Isaac Bruce, and maybe in the top 20 all time.

Jackson has 589 receptions, currently 81st all time, tied oddly with Hall of Famer Fred Biletnikoff, and in a similar category to other receivers like T.J. Houshmandzadeh (627), Jordy Nelson (613), Golden Tate and Jimmy Graham (Both 611) and Michael Crabtree (633). Jackson is typically between 50 and 60 catches per year. Assuming the higher end of that over three years, putting him around 770 career receptions, he would be maybe in the top 35 all time, just barely ahead of guys like Chad Johnson and Marshall Faulk. Even getting to 800 career receptions would put him close to but still behind Henry Ellard, Roddy White, Rod Smith, and Irving Fryar, in some cases by far margins. Even somehow getting to 900 receptions would still have him behind Holt, Wayne, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Boldin.

Jackson will likely be in the Eagles Ring of Honor for all the things he did for them (Miracle at the Meadowlands II), but he is absolutely not sniffing the Hall of Fame unless he starts matching or exceeding his single best season (2013, where he had 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and 9 TDs) for basically the rest of his career, combined with the kind of longevity rarely seen in wide receivers not named Rice or Owens.

Also, greatest deep threat of all time? Let's not get carried away. Yes, he has lead the NFL in yards per reception four times, which is impressive, but that's hardly a list of all time greats. Jackson had great deep speed, but I'd still take peak Randy Moss first.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 4, 2019

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

fartknocker posted:

est deep threat of all time? Let's not get carried away.

He's got more TD receptions of 60+ yards than any receiver in NFL history. That he passed Jerry Rice's mark with around a 1/3 of the receptions is not a drawback. It only highlights the enormity of DeSean Jackson' talent as a deep ball receiver.

He's not going to go into the Hall of Fame based on counting stats. He's going to go in because he's the best ever at one of the most important and exciting plays in the game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if DJax gets in the pro football hall of fame I'll get a tattoo of his face :toxx:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Carson Wentz is going to revitalize Jackson's career. DeSean will put up a pair of 1000+ yard seasons and then hold out going into year 3.

Also, I'm going to get a DeSean Jackson jersey and put an NFL Man Of The Year patch on it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NotWearingPants posted:

He's not going to go into the Hall of Fame based on counting stats. He's going to go in because he's the best ever at one of the most important and exciting plays in the game.

WR is a position where you pretty much always go in on counting stats though.

But if you want to look at it from another angle, he's a 3x Pro Bowler. That's quite a good career, but there are plenty of WR's with more than that who are not in the HOF.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has he even made a first team all pro

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NotWearingPants posted:

He's got more TD receptions of 60+ yards than any receiver in NFL history. That he passed Jerry Rice's mark with around a 1/3 of the receptions is not a drawback. It only highlights the enormity of DeSean Jackson' talent as a deep ball receiver.

No one is ever going into the Hall over one exciting play. It's a consideration of their entire career backed up with counting stats and super bowls.

DJax isn't even the best deep WR in history, you're only judging that off of deep TDs. He ran one route over and over against defenses that failed to cap him off at the top. Compare that to other guys that could go deep through contested passes while stretching the field in other ways too. If anything he's a subpar WR all things considered since he could never run other routes and has a career 55% catch percentage. The hall should never be for one note players, no matter how good they are at that one note.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

The hall should never be for one note players, no matter how good they are at that one note.

Tons of "one-note players" have and will be inducted into the hall of fame.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Play posted:

Tons of "one-note players" have and will be inducted into the hall of fame.

such as one note player Eli Manning who's only claim to fame is beating Brady twice somehow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh yeah I forgot one note super bowl winners

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Eli beating the Patriots twice is just funny to me now, and I'm a :patssay: monster. I actively want him in the HOF for being mostly a trash-tier QB who somehow had 2 Super Bowl runs out of nowhere in him against the Ultimate Evil Empire of this (and every other) era. It's just an A+ story, like if Jim Plunkett won his two Super Bowls against Joe fuckin' Montana instead of Joe Theismann and Ron Jaworski.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

He's not going to go into the Hall of Fame, based on counting stats.

Fixed it up for ya. I love DJax and what he can and will do to a defense but he's going to be swamped by guys with more catches/yards/TDs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do Superbowl wins even count for non-QB HoF cases? Chris Long has two Lombardis and was pretty decent for a while, basically an Eli Manning equivalent career

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

indigi posted:

do Superbowl wins even count for non-QB HoF cases? Chris Long has two Lombardis and was pretty decent for a while, basically an Eli Manning equivalent career

I wanna say no but also that it's expected for non-QB HoF cases and they might miss years of introduction due to it. QBs pretty much automatically get in if they win Super Bowls, sorta the same for HBs too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If Eli gets in on the strength of bumbling his way into two SB rings then how many other randos are going to get in just based on being on the Patriots for a few years?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

If Eli gets in on the strength of bumbling his way into two SB rings then how many other randos are going to get in just based on being on the Patriots for a few years?

well that was kind of my point, Eli is definitely going in but I don't think a guy like LeGarrette Blount is gonna get in off the strength of going back to back

e: to be clear, I don't think Blount has had nearly the career of Eli/Long, just that he's won two and for a QB that's probably enough to get in. like if Andy Dalton somehow managed to win two rings I think he'd get in no problem

e2: even if Foles manages to luck his way into a second ring I don't think they'd keep him out for being a journeyman backup most of his career

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2019

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
DeSean Jackson isn’t going to the HOF lol come lol

I’m laughing at comparing offensive stats ACROSS GENERATIONS

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
In a few years when you all agree that DeSean is going into the HoF and say, "well who could have predicted he'd put up these incredible numbers in his 30s?" the answer is me. I am predicting it right now.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Desean is on the list of the fastest guys in the NFL ever and is really quite good but I don’t think HoF is up for discussion yet. It’s unlikely but possible that one day it will be.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/1135588165291597825

Also, apparently Wentz is looking absolutely fantastic in OTAs.

quote:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-ota-observations-obligatory-reminder-carson-wentz-really-good/
Is it getting tiresome to note that Carson Wentz looks really, really good? Today, I can count one throw he'd like to have back, an underthrown deep throw to DeSean Jackson that was broken up easily by Jeremiah McKinnon. Otherwise, Wentz was dialed in, as usual, and was dropping dimes all over the field. The highlights:

Fade to DeSean about 35 yards down the sideline, on the money.
Nice window laser to J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, who settled into a zone 15-20 yards downfield.
Gorgeous deep throw on a post corner to Markan Michel in 7-on-7's. That was the prettiest throw of the day, in my opinion.
Wentz is really good, and it's pretty easy to predict that he'll have a big year if he can stay healthy.

:getin:
#nevergotout

89 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 5, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Is he "in the best shape of his life"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Wentz played incredible MVP-caliber football during the Eagles super bowl run so there’s no reason to think he won’t be at least as good or better now, maybe a game or two of knocking off rust