Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Wait. Wait wait wait, the spark plug sits atop the, uh, explody-boom chamber, right? So that line is pumping unexploded, decompressed fuel-air mixture?

That seems hazardous. Should we warn them?

There’s an exchange mechanism. The pressure of the fuel/air mixture is used to draw in and compress ambient air. The lower-pressure fuel/air mix is unceremoniously ejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How do you make the bag stop inflating, stay inflated, and deflate in a controlled manner? It doesn't look safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Popular Science, February, 1932

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was hesitant to link it myself since it is a patreon only thing for a goon, but then this happened

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1135947135021715456

The pro-est click. I gave him a dollar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t give him a dollar because I don’t have a Patreon account.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

haveblue posted:

How do you make the bag stop inflating, stay inflated, and deflate in a controlled manner? It doesn't look safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is like that.

I believe you just leave the car running and it has an internal valve that stops it deflating when you pull the hose off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1ST_gZbt4&t=113s

Apparently, they are very good in sand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

haveblue posted:

How do you make the bag stop inflating, stay inflated, and deflate in a controlled manner?

Relief valves are a thing.

quote:

It doesn't look safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is like that.

It's not safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is propped up on a jack, either.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Platystemon posted:

There’s an exchange mechanism. The pressure of the fuel/air mixture is used to draw in and compress ambient air. The lower-pressure fuel/air mix is unceremoniously ejected.

gonna be honest, not really wild about just filling the air around my car with aerosolized gasoline. i appreciate your enlightening me about this situation but it still seems risky.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Just shift the car into reverse to deflate it silly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

It's not safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is propped up on a jack, either.

Well yeah but there’s no reason to get in the driver’s seat when it’s on a normal jack because the engine isn’t running and you don’t want it to be.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
In the Nigeria delta they have a huge illegal oil refining industry and piracy is rife.
Check out these non OSHA compliant refineries. They literally tap in to the oil pipelines and bring it ashore and refine it using crude methods. These guys are swimming in crude oil and diesel. Covered head to toe and using the most dangerous possible methods.
The Niger delta/Southern Nigeria seems wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866fXIAZsDk&t=890s

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

Now it can mean either, but originally it was a portmanteau of "electricity" and "execution", so it meant fatal shocks exclusively back then. Largely because the word was invented as part of a campaign to slander AC current, but still.

I’m going to socially construct the word back to its roots

If language can go one way it can drat well go the other

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/FOX10Phoenix/status/1135985034857345024

:stare:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pop the bones back into place with 5g.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://youtu.be/zf67PSdpwMU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don’t even need to be in a helicopter for it to spin you to death.

Seriously though I assume that has something to do with the draft from the rotors? Or maybe that combined with the wind coming back up?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On the plus side she's now like a foot taller than when she left to go hiking.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Would she have stayed conscious during that? I have absolutely terrible inner ears (I even get vertigo from that certain drill frequency at the dentist!) and there's no way I wouldn't promptly vomit my guts out and then hope for sweet unconsciousness

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Would she have stayed conscious during that? I have absolutely terrible inner ears (I even get vertigo from that certain drill frequency at the dentist!) and there's no way I wouldn't promptly vomit my guts out and then hope for sweet unconsciousness

She’s elderly so I’d imagine as little as 3g continuously could be enough to knock her out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm kind of jealous. That looks incredibly fun.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Spinning around your core would count as negative Gs as far as the brain is located/concerned, and people have a far lower tolerance for negative Gs than positive

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo, I found something worse than those chainsaw wheels for angle grinders.

Cursed Weed Whacker Head of Self Maiming +5

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 5, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

Holy loving pro click.

If you havent watched his Franklin series you should.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Spinning around your core would count as negative Gs as far as the brain is located/concerned, and people have a far lower tolerance for negative Gs than positive

The Snoop Dispositional Embracement Principle is common knowledge/settled science and if we can all just take it as common knowledge it will probably prevent a derail

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo, I found something worse than those chainsaw wheels for angle grinders.

That looks highly ineffective. Why not just use a blade?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 5, 2019

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Man, I'm already sorta scared of my weed whacker. I don't need this terrifying thing anywhere near me.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

I've walked through clouds of ammonia that basically felt like having the wind knocked out of me- it's like that AND having icewater sprayed in your eyes and up your nose
I've been sprayed with aerosolized 95% sulfuric acid- that just made my nose sting
I've been spattered with 50% NaOH solution on multiple occasions- it tastes like lemons
The top of my right ear is missing a little chunk thanks to a sulfuric acid leak- that feels like having a cigarette snubbed out on you
I've been splattered with a cocktail of MEK+mystery organic compounds- they tingle
I had to encourage people to get out of the loving way of a giant cloud of nitrogen dioxide on multiple occasions- I stayed out of the orange cloud

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

all those moments lost... like sloughed off skin

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Former DILF posted:

all those moments lost... like sloughed off skin

Time... To die.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Uh. Does that count as a rescue?

And how does it end???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The 74 year old mass was stable, homogenous.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"leg" "bone" now "contiguous"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

The 74 year old mass was stable, homogenous.

Centrifuging a sample is not how you make it homogenous.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Centrifuging a sample is not how you make it homogenous.

That's how you extract water-based emperors of a 3-sun planet, though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

other people posted:

Uh. Does that count as a rescue?

And how does it end???

She grew 6" during the rescue.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Fine I do it myself:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/74-year-old-woman-rescued-after-being-injured-while-hiking-on-piestewa-peak

quote:

The airlift did not go as it was expected to -- take a look at the video. During the rescue, air turbulence from the helicopter's rotor caused a bumpy ride for the woman. She was seen on a stretcher spinning at a fast pace below the helicopter. The woman was then transported to an area trauma center for evaluation.

During a news conference Tuesday afternoon, officials said during the hoist rescue, a line that was supposed to help prevent the spinning didn't prevent it, and that the phenomenon is known in the hoist rescue industry. Officials also said similar incidents have happened in the past, and that procedures were done to try and stop the spin.

Neat.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Accounts differ as to the exact age of the woman. Officials did say the woman suffered no ill effects from the spin, aside from a bit of dizziness and nausea. No firefighters were injured during the rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Install a reaction control system on the stretcher to counteract the spin.

Don’t let Boeing design it.