Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No iPads have 3D Touch, and I don't think they ever will. It might have long presses which are functionally the same.

As for IG and Whatsapp, ask Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No iPads have 3D Touch, and I don't think they ever will. It might have long presses which are functionally the same.

The only thing I miss is doing the 3D touch on the keyboard to bring up the cursor. Is there another way to do this on iPad cuz I use that so much on my phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I use WzPad for WhatsApp on my iPad. It’s just a browser wrapper in an app form. It works ok but doesn’t push notifications.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

track day bro! posted:

The only thing I miss is doing the 3D touch on the keyboard to bring up the cursor. Is there another way to do this on iPad cuz I use that so much on my phone.

You can long press the spacebar for the cursor thing. I think two finger dragging on the keyboard also works

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm just totally speculating here, but for WhatsApp I think it makes sense because it can't work without a phone number. There's no user account or anything—it's just the phone number on the phone/SIM card. Most people using WhatsApp use it in place of the whatever SMS app came with the phone so they needed a way to make it work seamlessly with the same phone number. There's a desktop app but even that requires your phone to be turned on and within range to work.

And for Instagram, it's probably because putting it on iPads when most iPads never leave the house won't give them that sweet location tracking data so they just don't bother.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just totally speculating here, but for WhatsApp I think it makes sense because it can't work without a phone number.
No, but they could make an iPad app that works like the desktop app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No, but they could make an iPad app that works like the desktop app.

Yeah they absolutely could. It’s a little ridiculous I need to use a third party app for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just totally speculating here, but for WhatsApp I think it makes sense because it can't work without a phone number. There's no user account or anything—it's just the phone number on the phone/SIM card. Most people using WhatsApp use it in place of the whatever SMS app came with the phone so they needed a way to make it work seamlessly with the same phone number. There's a desktop app but even that requires your phone to be turned on and within range to work.

And for Instagram, it's probably because putting it on iPads when most iPads never leave the house won't give them that sweet location tracking data so they just don't bother.

My iPad and Mac get message forwarding from my phone number in the default iMessage/Messages/etc client.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My iPad and Mac get message forwarding from my phone number in the default iMessage/Messages/etc client.

Forwarding from WhatsApp?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Forwarding from WhatsApp?

From my phone.

But my point is the number/sim is a tag, WhatsApp isn’t SMS. They could tie it to your AppleID or whatever easily.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From my phone.

But my point is the number/sim is a tag, WhatsApp isn’t SMS. They could tie it to your AppleID or whatever easily.

No, it can’t, because it needs to work with all phone numbers. That’s the great thing about WhatsApp: you can give someone your phone number from Greece or wherever to a guy living in Brazil and it just works. And if I already had your number then all I have to do is open the app instead of native messages. And it doesn’t matter if You’re using android and I’m using an iPhone.

WhatsApp came out at a time when someone in Germany couldn’t text their neighbor who still had their original phone number from France without paying a premium for the international texting. WhatsApp solved that problem without adding any user accounts to make things complicated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

No, it can’t, because it needs to work with all phone numbers. That’s the great thing about WhatsApp: you can give someone your phone number from Greece or wherever to a guy living in Brazil and it just works. And if I already had your number then all I have to do is open the app instead of native messages. And it doesn’t matter if You’re using android and I’m using an iPhone.

WhatsApp came out at a time when someone in Germany couldn’t text their neighbor who still had their original phone number from France without paying a premium for the international texting. WhatsApp solved that problem without adding any user accounts to make things complicated.

Yeah I was gonna say. Also you can only have WhatsApp installed on one phone. They don’t support letting you have multiple devices. The web app solves this for them since you can use it from any device (including phones).

Also if you change your number your WhatsApp still works once you log into the new device.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’ve only done it once a while ago, but changing numbers is also a two step process. IIRC you put in the new SIM card, open WhatsApp and it will say it needs to confirm your identity. It does this by sending a plain SMS to the registered number and asking you to respond back with the new number. Once you switch it the old number is completely disassociated. (edit: pretty sure I’m remembering wrong with the specifics.)

WhatsApp isn’t SMS, but for all intents and purposes in the majority of its users it is.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 29, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

After using it for a while while traveling I have to say that I actually think it works better vs iMessage.

iMessage is great if you are in your home country but it sure can take a poo poo when you travel and start dealing with dodgy signals / trains ect.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

You can long press the spacebar for the cursor thing. I think two finger dragging on the keyboard also works

Cheers I thought there was another way you could do that.

And yeah with Whatsapp I meant a companion app like the web one or the MacOS one. It's nice that I can just get all my iMessage and Calls on all my other Apple devices, but I get way more Whatsapp messages. It would be cool if the iPad could do that but eh. I guess whatsapp isn't very big in America then? In Europe everyone seems to use it, it just seems like iMessage but crossplatform.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

track day bro! posted:

And yeah with Whatsapp I meant a companion app like the web one or the MacOS one. It's nice that I can just get all my iMessage and Calls on all my other Apple devices, but I get way more Whatsapp messages. It would be cool if the iPad could do that but eh. I guess whatsapp isn't very big in America then? In Europe everyone seems to use it, it just seems like iMessage but crossplatform.
It's not terribly common. I've met one person who used it regularly and she was Canadian. We never really had the issue of cross-border communication being expensive (since few Americans text over national borders), and by the time smartphones were common, everyone had a plan offering a significant number of SMSes, so there was little need for an app that offered an alternative. iMessage is functionally invisible to the user, so people just use it without thinking too much about it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

track day bro! posted:

I bought a new mini to replace my Nexus 7 which started to randomly discharge its entire battery of a night sitting in my work bag.

It's real nifty but I wanna get a nice smart cover, are there any reccs for one? If not I'll get an apple one?

Also how come Instagram still doesn't have a proper iPad app? Same goes for Whatsapp, I can do all that + text and call from my MacBook why not on the iPad, boo.

Also a bit dissapointed that it doesnt have raise to wake and 3D touch but I'm assuming this is because it's still using the same old iPad Mini housing from years ago.

I think the previous-gen smart covers fit the mini 5 so you should be able to get one of those relatively cheap

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I use wzpad

It’s not big at all here correct.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I use WhatsApp a fair bit in the US but aside from my wife and a few other friends I convinced to switch, it's mostly to friends in Poland. I normally use WhatsChrome on my pixelbook or whatever other computer I'm on. The iPad option, or lack thereof, sucks. They should make something similar to the desktop app or WhatsChrome for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

They should make something similar to the desktop app or WhatsChrome for it.

Wait, so there are options? And I assume that you can use both the desktop app and your smartphone with the same account? :aaaaa: I thought everybody in the dogpile said that you needed to be on a device with a SIM card or phone number!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There are but there isn’t a dedicated app.

Wzpad ( the iPad app) is just a browser wrapper. You don’t get a lot of the features that the dedicated app has (notifications).

You can log into your account from nearly anywhere and on anything you just miss out on stuff that the app has.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait, so there are options? And I assume that you can use both the desktop app and your smartphone with the same account? :aaaaa: I thought everybody in the dogpile said that you needed to be on a device with a SIM card or phone number!

No one said that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No one said that?

Boris Galerkin posted:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s explaining how the app works and people have said that there is a desktop app as well as third party apps but they are just wrappers for the web view.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It's not that complex. WhatsApp needs a phone to work, period. It ties to a phone number. All communications must go through the phone, since the phone itself does the encryption/decryption locally - there's no remote server that stores any of that stuff or has the keys.

WhatsApp also offers WhatsApp Web, which allows a web browser on the same network as the phone (i.e. same LAN, same WiFi, either/or) to basically be a front-end for the phone. This allows you to use WhatsApp from a computer or pretty much anything with a browser.

There are also browser extensions (i.e. WhatsChrome, which also works nicely as a ChromeOS App) and some desktop apps (MacOS and Windows) that basically wrap the whole thing into effectively an application. WhatsApp themselves offer at least the desktop apps, they may also make and support the browser extensions - I'm not sure. Either way you use the same WhatsApp for Web activation method to enable those to work, which is scanning a QR code on the screen from the extension/app/webpage/whatever with WhatsApp on your phone. Only one of those can be "active" at a time, and if you're switching between computers you need to hit a thing to make wherever you are the "active" WhatsApp Web front end. It's not difficult or anything, you don't have to re-scan the QR code or anything unless you're paranoid about security and deactivate them whenever you leave the screen or whatever.

What they don't make is a dedicated iPad app that does the same thing. There is a 3rd party one, Wzpad, that more or less does it, but it sucks at notifications. You can also probably use safari or chrome on an iPad via WhatsApp Web but it's going to pretty well suck.

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 30, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

After using it for a while while traveling I have to say that I actually think it works better vs iMessage.

iMessage is great if you are in your home country but it sure can take a poo poo when you travel and start dealing with dodgy signals / trains ect.

But what is nice about iMessage is if you travel and get a new number nobody has to know or care.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

But what is nice about iMessage is if you travel and get a new number nobody has to know or care.

True except for when you drop your data signal and it reverts to text.

Edit: it doesn’t auto do that anymore does it? It just fails and you have to select it correct?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's always been a setting that you could toggle off. Whether or not it's turned on or off by default, I couldn't tell you since I've always had it off since iMessages launched.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It’s been an option to send it as a sms as a fallback for a while.

~Coxy posted:

You’re not thinking about it right. Every. Single. Person. In Europe uses WhatsApp instead of Messages.app or AndroidVersionofMessages.app. When people say “text me” what they are really saying is “send me a message on WhatsApp.” Before WhatsApp three students living in the same house, that came from different countries (and so had different country/area codes), could not text each other without one or both parties paying a premium for international texting, even if they were literally sitting next to each other.

Think of all the people you know with phone numbers from different area codes. Imagine if it would cost you an extra 50 cents or whatever just to send texts to them. That’s what it was like before WhatsApp took over Europe. And that’s just Europe. Other countries like Brazil iirc text messages were expensive or something, so now they all use WhatsApp too. (Side note: my Brazilian friends seem to all be big into leaving short recorded voice messages/clips instead of actually typing anything. I’ve seen them have entire conversations doing this and it’s kinda weird to me.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 30, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

(Side note: my Brazilian friends seem to all be big into leaving short recorded voice messages/clips instead of actually typing anything. I’ve seen them have entire conversations doing this and it’s kinda weird to me.)

Oh god I’ve seen this and yeah it’s so weird.

I do wish iMessage fired off messages like WhatsApp though. Doesn’t matter if you have data or not it stores them till you do. Where as iMessage kinda weirds out and tries to perpetually send it and just fails at a certain point forcing you to resend it when you have data.

Like I said WhatsApp is awesome for going in and out of signal and hooking up to WiFi when you are at a hotel or in the tube.

Anyway if you want WhatsApp on the iPad WzPad is about as good as you can get but it doesn’t offer notifications (it does beep though for a few messages every so often which is weird).

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 30, 2019

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I got an 11 Pro with the Smart Keyboard Folio yesterday and the form factor and keyboard experience is much improved compared to the last time I had a Pro and Keyboard. I like how it actually gets locked down in all configurations instead of flapping around like the old style ones. I had an OG 12.9 and Smart Keyboard and that thing was just unwieldy by comparison.

In fact, I'm selling the 12.9 Smart Keyboard in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s been an option to send it as a sms as a fallback for a while.

You’re not thinking about it right. Every. Single. Person. In Europe uses WhatsApp instead of Messages.app or AndroidVersionofMessages.app. When people say “text me” what they are really saying is “send me a message on WhatsApp.” Before WhatsApp three students living in the same house, that came from different countries (and so had different country/area codes), could not text each other without one or both parties paying a premium for international texting, even if they were literally sitting next to each other.

Think of all the people you know with phone numbers from different area codes. Imagine if it would cost you an extra 50 cents or whatever just to send texts to them. That’s what it was like before WhatsApp took over Europe. And that’s just Europe. Other countries like Brazil iirc text messages were expensive or something, so now they all use WhatsApp too. (Side note: my Brazilian friends seem to all be big into leaving short recorded voice messages/clips instead of actually typing anything. I’ve seen them have entire conversations doing this and it’s kinda weird to me.)
sounds awful and confusing

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

:v:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Surprised not to see this here yet.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1135653636145590273?s=21

And it works with magic mice/magic trackpad if you have them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Thwomp posted:

Surprised not to see this here yet.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1135653636145590273?s=21

And it works with magic mice/magic trackpad if you have them.
At this stage I don't get why they wouldn't just add it as a normal-rear end feature with a normal looking cursor.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there gesture support with a trackpad or is it just pointer stuff?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

At this stage I don't get why they wouldn't just add it as a normal-rear end feature with a normal looking cursor.

Because it's an accessibility feature designed for accessible pointing devices right now with no gesture/scrolling/anything else.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So this is pretty cool

iPadOS 13 + DS4 controller + PS4 Remote play app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Picking up my new iPad Air with keyboard tonight, pretty stoked. Now I can steam link games with the steelcase controller to play in bed or on the couch!

Among a bunch of other things I miss doing on my previous Air 2 which got passed down after the Air 1 my kid was using died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

So this is pretty cool

iPadOS 13 + DS4 controller + PS4 Remote play app.

Now stream Microsoft Golf for Windows 95.