Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

highme posted:

Pardon my tourist rear end question, but is The Hub a chain or a certain type of bar?

British pub chain that also always seem to have blind-date meet-ups happening every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

British pub chain that also always seem to have blind-date meet-ups happening every night.

If you're going to ones that are dead enough to have actual meetups you're going to the wrong ones

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Come back to the states I have a bum house if you need a place to stop by!!

It has 1980s carpet but hey in a month it will be clean 1980s carpet so it's got that going!!

That sounds better than any other rooms available to me when I visit home. I might for real ask to rent a room next time XD

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mentaiko wrapped in bacon is good

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

On my way home from Tokyo now, thanks to everyone in the thread who answered my dumb questions, and the food map was especially great.

Can't wait to have some room to actually stretch out again

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

the food map was especially great.

What is this? I’m part way thu my trip here. Leaving for Hakone tomorrow and then on to Kyoto. Would love some food recs.

Some noob observations

Where are the trash cans.

Those metro cars are CLEAN

Nope. Everything is that clean. Wow.

What’s the deal with the yellow line on the sidewalk

Can’t wait to see more. Want to eat more food.

E: toilets. Omg. I know what I’m buying when I get back!

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 4, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

What is this? I’m part way thu my trip here. Leaving for Hakone tomorrow and then on to Kyoto. Would love some food recs.

Some noob observations

Those metro cars are CLEAN

What’s the deal with the yellow line on the sidewalk

Can’t wait to see more. Want to eat more food.

-At your home or inside the convenience store (or sometimes also the recycle bins next to vending machines shhhhh)
-It was national news last year when a couple subway cars got tagged by graffiti artists, that sort of thing just doesn't happen here
-Yep there's both much better control of litter and also an army of older people who work part-time sweeping everything up in Tokyo
-yellow lines are for people who are blind primarily
-eat everything

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Had the annoying thing today where I tried to get some yakitori at a random takeout place and I ordered all kinds of stuff in Japanese and the guy just pointed at the standard meat stick and kept blurting out "CHICKEN CHICKEN" for no reason. What goes on in someone's head when they do that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shibawanko posted:

Had the annoying thing today where I tried to get some yakitori at a random takeout place and I ordered all kinds of stuff in Japanese and the guy just pointed at the standard meat stick and kept blurting out "CHICKEN CHICKEN" for no reason. What goes on in someone's head when they do that.

“I know English!”

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

What goes on in someone's head when they do that.

"I can't understand what the gently caress this white boy is trying to say."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, or that. It’s really hard to tell without being there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

"I can't understand what the gently caress this white boy is trying to say."

He put the poo poo i ordered in the bag correctly though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, I have enough faith in my fellow human beings to believe they were trying to be helpful. Especially since they got the order right. On the other hand, it’s hard to shake the “is this guy loving with me” feeling.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, I have enough faith in my fellow human beings to believe they were trying to be helpful. Especially since they got the order right. On the other hand, it’s hard to shake the “is this guy loving with me” feeling.

Your Japanese has a distinctive foreign accent. They can’t tell from your short interaction how good your Japanese is because their sample size isn’t enough to tell if you’re good at grammar/general communication enough to understand them so they’re defaulting to the sound.

To minimize this try prefacing what you’re saying with “ええと” or some other 前置き which indicates your understand the flow of Japanese conversation beyond just barking out words you remembered.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Your Japanese has a distinctive foreign accent. They can’t tell from your short interaction how good your Japanese is because their sample size isn’t enough to tell if you’re good at grammar/general communication enough to understand them so they’re defaulting to the sound.

To minimize this try prefacing what you’re saying with “ええと” or some other 前置き which indicates your understand the flow of Japanese conversation beyond just barking out words you remembered.

Yeah I said eeeto and a big drawn out summmmaassen as well but no dice, I think the guy was just a little awkward in general.

It might also be because I don't just look foreign but like, ultraforeign with blonde hair and a big pointy nose and everything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think this happened way after that point though? Shibawanko already ordered in intelligible Japanese, considering the order was right. The guy should already know how good their Japanese is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You're in Asia. There are lots of That Guy all over. I wouldn't waste the time worrying about it since you got what you wanted. It's only a problem when they refuse to acknowledge what you're saying at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t think I ever ran into anybody that did the whole “not Japanese = cannot possibly speak Japanese” thing when I was over there, personally. I did constantly feel awful for not being better at it though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I found that most people would reply back in Japanese if I spoke to them in kind.

Very intricate, fast, complex Japanese :suicide:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Live in Asia for a while. You'll meet plenty.

It also varies by location. Rarely happened in Sichuan, was a multiple weekly occurrence in Korea.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

ThirstyBuck posted:

Removed due to the Tokyo subway sarin attacks of 1995. Lots of sources, here's the first I found on Google https://jpninfo.com/54373

ThirstyBuck posted:

Yeah they don't really like graffiti in Japan. Here's another one that made the news https://soranews24.com/2019/05/23/australian-tourist-in-japan-arrested-for-graffiti-around-kamogawa-river-in-kyoto/ Its just art mannnnn

MoofOntario fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 4, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

Live in Asia for a while. You'll meet plenty.

It also varies by location. Rarely happened in Sichuan, was a multiple weekly occurrence in Korea.

If it’s because they’re excited to use their English then I totally understand, if it’s because they think I can’t understand their language then they’re probably right but still, c’mon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My favorite in Korea was when I'd go out with one of my Chinese friends. She didn't speak any Korean and I was not great or anything but could communicate. Frequently we'd end up in a triangle of stupid where I spoke Korean to the Korean staff, who would not even look at me and reply to my Chinese friend, who would just sit there silent while I continued the conversation.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
korea sounds rude af

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not as bad as when I first moved there, they're moving past it. You barely even get stared at anymore.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
People everywhere are bad at dealing with that kind of stuff. My mom has an accent and so many times I want to tell people that she isn't deaf - she just doesn't get your weird slang. Don't just repeat yourself louder - it doesn't help.

It's also painful watching my work colleagues speak to the Japanese staff because I know the Japanese staff don't understand them because they're using a lot of colloquolisms and complex sentence structures that are very different from Japanese (and thus Japanese people just don't think in a way that let's them follow those sentences easily).

Speaking to a non-native (or non-fluent) speaker is a skill that people need to develop over time. Sometimes people will have had that opportunity but many times not. That's just the way it goes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

totalnewbie posted:

Speaking to a non-native (or non-fluent) speaker is a skill that people need to develop over time. Sometimes people will have had that opportunity but many times not. That's just the way it goes.

there's this cool dude that I play basketball with from central china, he's studying here for a year in the usa, and after playing like a month ago I went with him and our buddy Tian to go get pizza. we switch back and forth in chinese and English a fair amount, and I was telling them a story, I can't remember exactly what it was, but after I told it he said to me "I'm so happy to spend time with you, because I can understand everything you say in English" and I was like "ya dude I lived in China for nine years and married someone who speaks English as a third language, I'm quite used to speaking slowly, clearly and in common words people can understand" and he had the biggest grin on his face, it was actually really cute lol

it's definitely a skill that takes time to develop, I do imagine a fair amount of goons that have lived in Japan for an extend period of time have it as well. it goes the other way as well, my old co-director in china was from Beijing but she didn't have an accent, and she spoke the clearest, most easy to understand mandarin, and I could always follow everything she was saying. she taught chinese in the states for two years when she was doing her masters and she'd be talking and I'd understand every single word she said, and then it would go over to Yao and he would just string together something that sounded like a really loud fart and I'd be like "...what was that"

my old landlord also did the "oh you didn't hear what I said? I'll just scream it at you" thing, where I'd specifically say "please speak slower, it's difficult to understand on the phone" and then he would say "ok" and then just start SCREAMING into the phone, just as fast as he was before

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well you also have to compensate for landlords being pieces of poo poo.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I nearly booked a late trip for July since I found some decent ticket prices but thought better of it after some searching around if the heat/humidity is -really- that bad. I could probably handle it without dying but walking around soaked in sweat all day isn't very pleasant.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Doooo it and come to Fuji Rock.

Weather's fine to deal with if you're wearing the right clothes (read: no cotton ANYTHING).

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Doooo it and come to Fuji Rock.

Weather's fine to deal with if you're wearing the right clothes (read: no cotton ANYTHING).

I think almost every single piece of clothing I own is cotton :ohdear:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

MoofOntario posted:

Removed due to the Tokyo subway sarin attacks of 1995. Lots of sources, here's the first I found on Google https://jpninfo.com/54373

Yeah they don't really like graffiti in Japan. Here's another one that made the news https://soranews24.com/2019/05/23/australian-tourist-in-japan-arrested-for-graffiti-around-kamogawa-river-in-kyoto/ Its just art mannnnn

Unless you're Banksy. Then it apparently qualifies as art instead of graffiti.
https://twitter.com/ecoyuri/status/1085767968959561729

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

netcat posted:

I think almost every single piece of clothing I own is cotton :ohdear:

This is why you're miserable in the heat.

I go every July and wear:
Wool socks - both because I go hiking so thicker socks are nice (though there's thin) and also because wool wicks water away from your feet so they stay relatively dry. Wool also does not promote bacterial growth like cotton does and so your socks don't stink nearly as much as if you had worn cotton socks. Seriously, go get yourself a pair of wool socks and wear them around for a day. They don't come out of your shoes smelling like fresh laundry, but it is totally fine.

Wool underwear/boxer briefs. Same reason - they keep everything dry.

Quick dry material hiking pants - light weight and they zip off into shorts :D

Synthetic shirt - wicks sweat away, doesn't stink, light weight and dries quickly.

A hat! Don't underestimate the importance of a good sun hat.

The above is all pretty standard hiking gear but if you're going to be walking around outside, it doesn't really matter if you're in the woods or in the city - you should dress appropriately, which means not like you're going to be in an air conditioned office or house all day.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i deal with japan summer with

1) compression pants to keep my chonky thighs from touching

2) going to uniqlo and raiding the airism undershirts

also by staying underground as much as possible. or going up north.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

LimburgLimbo posted:

Pretty accurate. Except the えっと、あの、えぇぇ thing probably doesn't work either because it really is just accent training. Like, it's just painfully obvious (and I've also seen a lot of white/chinese people with really strong accents speak Japanese and it can be hard to understand too).

PS: I've been told I don't really have an American or Chinese accent when speaking Japanese, and that I'm super natural. I think this is an advantage from learning how to speak in middle school.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

This is why you're miserable in the heat.

I go every July and wear:
Wool socks - both because I go hiking so thicker socks are nice (though there's thin) and also because wool wicks water away from your feet so they stay relatively dry. Wool also does not promote bacterial growth like cotton does and so your socks don't stink nearly as much as if you had worn cotton socks. Seriously, go get yourself a pair of wool socks and wear them around for a day. They don't come out of your shoes smelling like fresh laundry, but it is totally fine.

Wool underwear/boxer briefs. Same reason - they keep everything dry.

Quick dry material hiking pants - light weight and they zip off into shorts :D

Synthetic shirt - wicks sweat away, doesn't stink, light weight and dries quickly.

A hat! Don't underestimate the importance of a good sun hat.

The above is all pretty standard hiking gear but if you're going to be walking around outside, it doesn't really matter if you're in the woods or in the city - you should dress appropriately, which means not like you're going to be in an air conditioned office or house all day.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind since I actually did go ahead with the booking (still have 24 hours to cancel if I panic!!)

I'll just have to pick up some appropriate clothes :)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

PS: I've been told I don't really have an American or Chinese accent when speaking Japanese, and that I'm super natural. I think this is an advantage from learning how to speak in middle school.

drat that's badass.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Some people are just better at that than others. A friend of mine sounds exactly like a Brit but only lived there for a few years (she's Brazilian)

For me personally, I think already knowing a tonal language and learning by immersion helped me avoid the worst of the accents.

netcat posted:

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind since I actually did go ahead with the booking (still have 24 hours to cancel if I panic!!)

I'll just have to pick up some appropriate clothes :)

Want to come to Fuji Rock? Best music festival ever. Last weekend of July. Pm me if Interested.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I cope with summer by not leaving the house until happy hour or later. And even that is still pretty unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

He put the poo poo i ordered in the bag correctly though

Yeah, wasn't a comment on your Japanese which I'm sure is fine, but you asked what was going through the guy's head at the time.