Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Giving basic necessities to someone in need isn't a bad thing or unwanted. It might not be their brand of toothpaste but I think it'll be ok.

am i reading this wrong or is this weirdly defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think I just received something I didn't order???

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm buying tons of tampons too and will put some in some of the bags for women, I'm not even going to ask anyone!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hydrochloric acid might not be their favourite drink but

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I think they meant it, like, ask some homeless people what they would want because maybe there are things you don't know about their lives that make certain unexpected things luxuries.

Which is nice and cool!

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

heeheex2 posted:

am i reading this wrong or is this weirdly defensive

Why would I need to ask anyone before helping someone? Yes it's defensive. Why are people so afraid to just do something?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I had one of these bells set up on a marble pedestal in Alicante, Spain. Nobody dared ring it. Maybe my service was adequate without it.
My friend had a girlfriend with a bell labelled "Ring for a Kiss".
Funny thing, these bells... ;)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Why would I need to ask anyone before helping someone? Yes it's defensive. Why are people so afraid to just do something?

I don't think anyone is saying that you are anything other than an awesome and nice person for doing this.

What we are saying is that as a non-homeless person, you may be making assumptions about what a homeless person really wants/needs and by doing so, your gesture may not live up to its fullest potential.

We're not saying we think you're going to give them a bag full of washi tape and knock-off lego, but to get the most out of this, it is worth asking for an opinion from people who are living/have lived this life. It could be as simple as a question in the Stupid Questions thread in A/T as we have at least some goons who lived/are living on the streets.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm not an expert but I've started personal projects to help the homeless that I've raised thousands for. There's no fix, so helping any way you can is more than nothing and using common sense is fine. The different ways people think makes an impact varies so widely that going with your gut can be ok.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Giving pretty much anything is better than giving nothing, but giving what people actually want is definitely a step up. It seems like you're really against asking, why is that? I could easily come up with things that people probably want, but I would be interested to know if, say, they got toothbrushes everywhere but what they really need are those foil race blankets. Or vice versa!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I recommend these linen storage bags - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32819261448.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dwfRjFr

(the blue ones with the pink and ivory flowers, called "Color: Blue flowers"). They are much higher quality than others I have ordered, some kind of strong vinyl or something.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Childrens backpacks are pretty great for putting gifts in, and normally fairly cheap, bright and colourful and easy to identify. You can fill up any little pockets with stuff and it makes the stuff easy to take home afterwards, and you can put it in a bigger bag if needed, for easier carrying or double water protection or just to hide your shame. I used one that was shaped like a bee for years as a hospital toiletries bag.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BS-...3014693344.html

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Simple example of this, when I worked in retail our store used to do a bullshit donation drive for troops that only existed to drive up our profits. Anyways, turns out troops didn't really toothpaste because the military gave it to them, but what they did like was silly string because it can be used to detect trip wires. No one would have thought of that without asking.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Giving pretty much anything is better than giving nothing, but giving what people actually want is definitely a step up. It seems like you're really against asking, why is that? I could easily come up with things that people probably want, but I would be interested to know if, say, they got toothbrushes everywhere but what they really need are those foil race blankets. Or vice versa!

I know what I want and am willing to give. My charity doesn't need your approval. Get a grip.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eSporks posted:

Simple example of this, when I worked in retail our store used to do a bullshit donation drive for troops that only existed to drive up our profits. Anyways, turns out troops didn't really toothpaste because the military gave it to them, but what they did like was silly string because it can be used to detect trip wires. No one would have thought of that without asking.

Also the poo poo is/was flammable as gently caress due to the butane used to pressurize it. Much fun to be had with a lit cig and a can of Party Streamz Silly Stringz(tm)!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I know what I want and am willing to give. My charity doesn't need your approval. Get a grip.

get over yourself ya jerk!

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

heeheex2 posted:

get over yourself ya jerk!

You're clueless. You people need to grow a pair and actually get out and do something before you pretend to know what someone else is doing wrong.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i don't get why you're so angry, nobody's being mean to you. everyone's been helpful

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i don't get why you're so angry, nobody's being mean to you. everyone's been helpful
Its almost like its hard for people to accept outside help when its not suiting their needs and actually applicable to their problem.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

Its almost like its hard for people to accept outside help when its not suiting their needs and actually applicable to their problem.

Yup I'm sure no one's going to accept my charity. drat you got me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
No one is saying that. Stop being a butthead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In fairness to the homeless helper, they really just came here for backpack advice

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Look, I get the idea but I've done enough work with homeless to know what I want to do. There's nothing more to it. This isn't a community project, this is a personal project. It's my own time and money. If something is a waste then that's what it is.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jesus Christ, I bet you terrify the homeless around you.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Boz0r posted:

Sorry, I didn't know this the responsible shopper thread. Maybe I'll just get a stupid boring mirror.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Look, I get the idea but I've done enough work with homeless to know what I want to do. There's nothing more to it. This isn't a community project, this is a personal project. It's my own time and money. If something is a waste then that's what it is.

Sure, you do you. There's a fair bit of irony here though if you're willing to step back and take a look.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying to say you a bad person or what you are doing is wrong, but your reaction to genuine advice was pretty silly.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think they meant it, like, ask some homeless people what they would want because maybe there are things you don't know about their lives that make certain unexpected things luxuries.

Which is nice and cool!

Jesus christ. This above is basically what I meant. That's it. Tailor to local needs.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And you comparing what I'm doing to some poo poo that happened at a retail store you worked at means absolutely nothing to me.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
An ali seller sent me something that was the wrong color. I sent them a message and they never responded. At what point do I open a dispute?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bean posted:

An ali seller sent me something that was the wrong color. I sent them a message and they never responded. At what point do I open a dispute?

As soon as you can, before the buyer protection runs out.

Give them at least a day or two to respond, though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

And you comparing what I'm doing to some poo poo that happened at a retail store you worked at means absolutely nothing to me.

you are a dork

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I just received something I didn't order???

This is an ali rite of passage. Mine was a red dress for a little girl. It came with the order number of an order I had received a month earlier, which was sunglasses.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bigperm posted:

This is an ali rite of passage. Mine was a red dress for a little girl.

That's going to be a little awkward to explain if you don't have kids.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tsk, I saw a jacket that I thought would really suit a friend:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914040843.html

was all ready to order but had a look at the user photos / reviews, yeah that's not even a good knockoff you're selling mate :mad: And of course the internet is flooded with so many of the KO versions that trying to google image the original source of the pics is needle-in-haystack time. Bah.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Shut up Meg posted:

That's going to be a little awkward to explain if you don't have kids.

Why?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Because now your mail carrier thinks you’re a pedo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah poo poo, I stop checking this thread for 10 minutes and you're ragging on someone for "perfect is the enemy of the good" not funding a survey series on homeless people's favorite brand of toothpaste? gently caress off, guy's doing a good thing. jesus gently caress lay off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*thread for buying ripoff LEGOs when real LEGO company pays a living wage and has made leaps and bounds in environmental friendliness* i bet the homeless would rate your service an A- :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I have been told that socks are the most requested items, does Ali sell socks?