Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Ken Loach would be happy to direct. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is my favourite ridiculous exec thing.

Hey, we'd like to make a movie adapted from your story about a boy who is apprenticed by the grim reaper at a job fair to help harvest souls and eventually take over the 'business', but get rid of the whole grim reaper harvesting souls part.

So, you want a film about a boy that... um... goes to a job fair and doesn't get hired by anybody, and then the credits roll. Cool.

I'm extremely pissed off that the Good Omens miniseries completely excised the Four Other Bikers Of the Apocalypse (You know: Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty to Animals, Really Cool People, and People Covered In Fish), which took away the absolute funniest parts of the book, and Neil Gaiman's the sole credited writer. I'd think he could have kept them in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Android Apocalypse posted:

I Imagine visiting those dogs on St. Patrick's day is I'll-advised

yeah they're mean loving drunks

and they wont shut up about their 1/8th heritage

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She screamed in King Ghidorah's faces in a mix of fear and defiance, what more do you want?

No, Mothra was awesome. It's my brain that is broken.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Phanatic posted:

I'm extremely pissed off that the Good Omens miniseries completely excised the Four Other Bikers Of the Apocalypse (You know: Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty to Animals, Really Cool People, and People Covered In Fish), which took away the absolute funniest parts of the book, and Neil Gaiman's the sole credited writer. I'd think he could have kept them in.

I haven't read the book but the credits give it to both Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the TV show Gaiman's the only credited writer.

It would of course be quite difficult to get Pratchett to contribute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

He wanted to. They were cut for budget.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
They also made up a couple bits that weren't in the book (although I thought Az and Crowley switching places to avoid their punishments would have fit well in the book). GBH and the gang were sorely missed though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Budget I get but I'd much rather have had the bikers than all the extra stuff they added.

I found Frances McDormand's narration really bad. Don't get me wrong, she's generally great, but I just think she was just all wrong with this speaking role. I don't know if it's just that I was so intensely picturing that it's supposed to be an English accent, but I think it's more than that; her vocal stresses and phrasings just seemed so...off.

I also really hated them having to explain some of the jokes because dumb Americans. And the fight scene between the Them and the Horsemen was really awful. Some of the acting (especially the Horsemen, even Brian Cox) was just awful.

And it's really weak when the narration is describing something visually awesome and the CGI just doesn't do it justice:

quote:

There was a tearing sound. Death's robe split and his wings unfolded. Angel's wings. But not of
feathers. They were wings of night, wings that were shapes cut through the matter of creation into the
darkness underneath, in which a few distant lights glimmered, lights that may have been stars or may
have been something entirely else.

McDormand's saying something along those lines, onscreen a couple of bad CGI black wings unfold and that's it.

And did I miss it, or did they just never tell you what happened to the guard that Aziraphale disappears?

Still, for all that I liked it. It's just that what I didn't like I really didn't like.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jun 4, 2019

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
the constant narration in the good omens tv show was teeth crushingly awful and unnecessary

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ulex minor posted:

the constant narration in the good omens tv show was teeth crushingly awful and unnecessary

Would you say it is godawful?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ulex minor posted:

There are a bunch of great jokes in the text and footnotes of the book, and it’d be a shame to leave them out and narration’s probably a better way of putting them in than turning them into dialogue, but man they should have done a better job with it.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

There are a bunch of great jokes in the text and footnotes of the book, and it’d be a shame to leave them out and narration’s probably a better way of putting them in than turning them into dialogue, but man they should have done a better job with it.

Dune also had this problem and even Lynch couldn't make it work.

...theatrical cut of Blade Runner, and the list goes on for narration that was ill advised.

Save that for animal biopics like The Bear or Milo and Otis.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Nostradingus posted:

All of them, except the one in 1998.

I feel like I'm the only person who likes Godzilla 98. :smith:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I like it too. :unsmith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It’s a fun popcorn flick and literally the only thing I’ve ever even slightly enjoyed Broderick in, despite what a tremendous shitbag he is.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

It’s a fun popcorn flick and literally the only thing I’ve ever even slightly enjoyed Broderick in, despite what a tremendous shitbag he is.

I don't know to what this is referring... to. But hasn't Pamela Adlon been through enough?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phanatic posted:

(You know: Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty to Animals, Really Cool People, and People Covered In Fish)
Ahem.

Treading in Dogshit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I do not like Godzilla '98, but I do like Godzilla: The Album. It's even got Rage Against The Machine selling out.

quote:

Hospitals not profit full
Yet market bulls got pockets full
To advertise some hip disguise
View tha world from American eyes
Tha poor adore keep fiendin for more
Tha thin line between entertainment and war
They fix the need, develop the taste
Buy their products or get laid to waste
Coca-Cola is back in the veins of Saigon
And Rambo too, he got a dope pair of Nikes on
And Godzilla pure muthafuckin filler
To keep ya eyes off the real killer

Haha, you seriously think for one moment RATM would sell out?! loving nope lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Skratchez posted:

I don't know to what this is referring... to. But hasn't Pamela Adlon been through enough?

I have no idea what Bobby Hill has to do with anything but Broderick got shitfaced drunk and killed two people with a car and got off with an extremely minor fine because of his celebrity status. He later (like "fifteen years" later) said that he was going to meet the family of the people he killed and make amends but he never actually did.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Schubalts posted:

They had two teasers for this movie. The first was like a year before release. All it had was Godzilla's eye coming into frame (outside the window of a skyscraper?). It was the Toho design, both roar and eye color. I got super pumped. Then months later, the same teaser plays in front of some other movie with the new design. I was livid. From that moment on I lost all interest in seeing it. And I'm just a casual Godzilla fan, who grew up on New Year's marathons of all the old movies on TV as a kid.

My friend said I fell asleep 10 minutes in. And we saw it after school on the opening Friday.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Ahem.

Treading in Dogshit.

It's been a while since I read the book, but wasn't 'No Alcohol Beer', one of the bikies/fake horsemen that War invents as well?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's been a while since I read the book, but wasn't 'No Alcohol Beer', one of the bikies/fake horsemen that War invents as well?

Three of them change their names to Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty to Animals, and Really Cool People. The remaining guy had trouble deciding, and went through, in order, Embarrassing Personal Problems, No-Alcohol Lager, Things Not Working Properly Even After You've Given Them A Good Thumping, All Foreigners Especially the French, Treading in Dogshit, and People Covered In Fish.

I gotta think for the money they spent on the completely unnecessary and bad Satan sequence they could have fit in at least the trivia contest.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I have no idea what Bobby Hill has to do with anything but Broderick got shitfaced drunk and killed two people with a car and got off with an extremely minor fine because of his celebrity status. He later (like "fifteen years" later) said that he was going to meet the family of the people he killed and make amends but he never actually did.

Not to say that he wasn't responsible for the crash, because it was found that he was, but from everything I've heard he wasn't drink-driving.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
it's blowing my mind to find out that a woman voiced bobby hill

he sounded so manly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought Godzilla 98 had the exact same roar as regular Godzilla

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

he sounded so manly

Like 70% of the Simpson cast appears in the movie

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

he sounded so manly

If you play red dead redemption 2 there's a woman who sounds just like him.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Phanatic posted:

i'm not sure there's any way to make it work, some things just don't translate - saying that, it would have been 100% improved if they'd chosen a different actor to narrate - her inflection was really insipid and managed to suck all the humour out of the lines to begin with

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They do add some of the little bits in there as stuff in the background. For instance in the scene that takes place in the 60s you can see the decal bullet holes that Crowley got for his car the one time he put petrol in it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

he sounded so manly

I think she won an Emmy for the “that’s my purse I don’t know you!” episode

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

he sounded so manly

If you haven't seen it already, check out I Know That Voice - has a ton of really fun voice actors (including Pam Adlon) & it's hilarious to get a lot of the backstories for how they came up with certain characters

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Endgame most likely isn't going to be able to topple Avatar by now. And yes, I know Disney owns both, gigantic stacks of money, neither is high art, tribalistic cheerleading, I know. That's why I'm in the Irrationally Irritating thread.

But urgghh if Avengers can't knock that junk-rear end movie off its perch nothing is ever going to.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Byzantine posted:

Endgame most likely isn't going to be able to topple Avatar by now. And yes, I know Disney owns both, gigantic stacks of money, neither is high art, tribalistic cheerleading, I know. That's why I'm in the Irrationally Irritating thread.

But urgghh if Avengers can't knock that junk-rear end movie off its perch nothing is ever going to.

Avatar made so much money because it happened to coincide with the highest point of interest in a specific, new theater experience (3D/IMAX) and also it kept picking up steam as it was out instead of having a huge drop off in week 2/3.

I specifically remember like, my parents- who go to one movie every 5 years asking me to take them to see Avatar a month after it came out.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also like it or not Avatar provided a technical spectacle that hadn't been seen before or since. That 3D really was insane and as mediocre as the film was, it was also spectacular to watch.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Also like it or not Avatar provided a technical spectacle that hadn't been seen before or since. That 3D really was insane and as mediocre as the film was, it was also spectacular to watch.

I truly, honestly think the movie isn’t good but I was loving entranced the first time I saw it in 3D IMAX.

It was only when I saw it a second time, in the less impressive RealD 3D that I was like “what the gently caress? I thought this was awesome?”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This is the only reason I want it to come back. I only saw it on TV.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I was one of the poor bastards who got motion sickness from the 3D. :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blast Fantasto posted:

I truly, honestly think the movie isn’t good but I was loving entranced the first time I saw it in 3D IMAX.

It was only when I saw it a second time, in the less impressive RealD 3D that I was like “what the gently caress? I thought this was awesome?”

Yes, as soon as you saw it outside of IMAX it was a total snoozefest.

That movie isn't possible to watch in a format that actually makes it worth it now. Which is lame af because getting stoned as hell and watching Avatar in IMAX 3D would be sick as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Oh my. I was just saying Adlon was Louis (Louie?) CK's on and off again gf. And now she has her own show wherein she's dating her therapist (Broderick)

It's a hard knock life.