Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just love the people that are asking for a Classic SWTOR. They don't realize current SWTOR is pretty much the same as Vanilla with a ton of QOL improvements. About the only thing I miss from Vanilla is skill trees, stance swapping and soloing World Bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hybrid skill trees were awesome.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

I just love the people that are asking for a Classic SWTOR. They don't realize current SWTOR is pretty much the same as Vanilla with a ton of QOL improvements. About the only thing I miss from Vanilla is skill trees, stance swapping and soloing World Bosses.
It is truly beyond my ken why anyone would ever want to go back to TOR the way it was at launch. There is absolutely nothing to recommend it over the way the game is now, unless you're an obscene masochist who cannot be happy unless things are as difficult and frustrating as possible.

EDIT: Okay I guess the skill trees were more interesting, but is that really worth losing everything else?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I'm probably the biggest ToR homer on these boards and I've played more Classic the last two weeks than ToR.

If they don't push into BC or WotLK it'll be a couple of months diversion only though.

Oh I didn't mean in relation to TOR or anything.

Classic WoW was just way more tedious than most people remember.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

They were *fun* but in all but 1 or 2 scenarios they were extremely sub par to an actual build. It was great to swap from DPS cylinder to Heal on my Merc in the middle of a fight (even had an autohotkey to respec in combat), but more often than not you'd see someone in "a superior hybrid build" that was piss poor. I remember the Assassin "DPS" that was in Dark Charge with the first two tiers of the tank tree, and then the rest in Deception because "This is far more damaging, the lightning is AOE". Terrible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

They were *fun* but in all but 1 or 2 scenarios they were extremely sub par to an actual build. It was great to swap from DPS cylinder to Heal on my Merc in the middle of a fight (even had an autohotkey to respec in combat), but more often than not you'd see someone in "a superior hybrid build" that was piss poor. I remember the Assassin "DPS" that was in Dark Charge with the first two tiers of the tank tree, and then the rest in Deception because "This is far more damaging, the lightning is AOE". Terrible.

The Pyrotech hybrid build was awesome. :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I don't remember there being a viable Pyrotech one, but I never played PT DPS early on.

The only actual viable Hybrid that I remember is DoTsmash Marauder (Annihilation to first tier, rest in Rage/Fury)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I don't remember there being a viable Pyrotech one, but I never played PT DPS early on.

The only actual viable Hybrid that I remember is DoTsmash Marauder (Annihilation to first tier, rest in Rage/Fury)

Dark Charge hybrids were crazy op when Dark Charge healed you everytime it procced.

Hybrid Deception/Madness (skip Voltaic Slash and pick up Death Field instead) was one of my favorites. The best control, single target DPS, and AoE DPS all in one build.

Probably the most op build in the game's history was Jugg with a AHK macro to switch gear/skills between Smash monkey and Immortal. Not really a hybrid per se tho.

Fuzz posted:

lol Carolina Parakeet the OG skank, Shield Tech defenses with Pyrotech energy-refunding Rail Shot monster crits every 6 seconds.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

lol Carolina Parakeet the OG skank, Shield Tech defenses with Pyrotech energy-refunding Rail Shot monster crits every 6 seconds.

This. It was so hilariously broken in PVP, I remember Huttball matches when people would straight up run away from me when I had the ball because I'd just steamroll straight through them.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Classic WoW was just way more tedious than most people remember.

It is, nostalgia is a hell of a drug though. I'm not a #nochanges chud tho...by all means update models, make skill trees viable, make itemization make sense, reduce travel times, make raids an actual challenge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah this isn't like WoW, a classic SWTOR server would seriously suck. It's also not like you can't experience classic SWTOR anyways, leveling up a new character, you still go through exactly the same content as you did years ago. Where like WoW, all of the vanilla content is gone now, it was removed entirely from the game years ago.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Huuuuuuge blog went up yesterday laying out all the gearing changes for 6.0:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190603-0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pryce posted:

It's hilarious to see a gigantic loot drop increase in SWTOR, while Bioware's other flagship online loot game, Anthem, is getting its loot numbers dropped to near zero.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It's hilarious to see a gigantic loot drop increase in SWTOR, while Bioware's other flagship online loot game, Anthem, is getting its loot numbers dropped to near zero.

Completely different Bioware studios. Thankfully EA hardly messes with this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Completely different Bioware studios. Thankfully EA hardly messes with this game.

The current internal leaks going around about the staffing situation at Bioware, suggests that the two studios still work pretty closely together and share resources/staff. Maybe at one point it wasn't true that they didn't work together, but now it appears that they do. If I worked at Bioware I would hate my life, consider quitting, if I had to work on Anthem post launch, or got moved over to Dragon Age 4.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well I've met two of the Bioware developers that post in this very thread and they seem very happy. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I said come in! posted:

The current internal leaks going around about the staffing situation at Bioware, suggests that the two studios still work pretty closely together and share resources/staff. Maybe at one point it wasn't true that they didn't work together, but now it appears that they do. If I worked at Bioware I would hate my life, consider quitting, if I had to work on Anthem post launch, or got moved over to Dragon Age 4.

I've read more than one article claiming that the TOR team tried to reach out and help the Anthem team, since the TOR folks are experienced at actually running an MMO and all the issues that come with that rather than running a single-player game, and they were told to gently caress off.

Anthem was hilariously mismanaged by all accounts and never had a clear or consistent idea of what it should be about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea all the behind the scenes things have seemed to be that the TOR folks are their own island in all the chaos around them, and while they deal with issues like budget strain and resource stuff due to what's going on with other games they're not really being pulled off to do rando work for other stuff unless they want to help, and in the case of Anthem they were hilariously shot down when they offered 'hey you know you're kinda making an MMO right? We know that fairly well, need a hand?'

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fuzz posted:

it isn't different studios at all, bioware austin worked on both, i thought

different teams though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Answered by Discord.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 4, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pryce posted:

huuuuuge blog posted:

The first vendor will allow you to spend currency to purchase a random version of a specific item slot. If you are trying to get a chest piece, you can spend your currency to purchase as many chest pieces as you can afford at that time, allowing to really hone-in on the item you are trying to get.

Introducing a slot machine that looks like a vendor is pretty :laffo:.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

XBenedict posted:

Introducing a slot machine that looks like a vendor is pretty :laffo:.

it's also copped straight from diablo 3's blood shard vendor

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Been dicking around in this and finally made it into a zone with people because of the Dantooine event. Holy gently caress, the people in this game are broken. Imagine caring so much about Star Wars as a grown-rear end adult that you're having literal nightmares about the SJW Kathleen Kennedy. While at the same time proclaiming that some garbage EU book is the best thing you've read in your life.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chomposaur posted:

Been dicking around in this and finally made it into a zone with people because of the Dantooine event. Holy gently caress, the people in this game are broken. Imagine caring so much about Star Wars as a grown-rear end adult that you're having literal nightmares about the SJW Kathleen Kennedy. While at the same time proclaiming that some garbage EU book is the best thing you've read in your life.

And that's why one of the first things I do on a new character is disable general chat

Also, speaking of the Dantooine event: Does anyone know that talk show quest goes if you defected to the other faction?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 5, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

And that's why one of the first things I do on a new character is disable general chat

Also, speaking of the Dantooine event: Does anyone know that talk show quest goes if you defected to the other faction?

But think of all the jawa puns you'd miss out on, and racism

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

I got bad news for you... Every class is getting new abilities too.

FINALLY TRACER MISSILE FOR MY SHADOW

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Fuzz posted:

Give me back my invincible shadow tank pocket healer combo

Chomposaur posted:

lol never read local

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

well command ranks are getting dumpstered so that's nice

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

FINALLY TRACER MISSILE FOR MY SHADOW

i can finally fire a lightning turd out my rear end

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

well command ranks are getting dumpstered so that's nice

I haven't played this game in a long time, and I'm simultaneously glad to hear this and sad for all the people that went through that grind, only to have it totally wiped away. Like we all know MMO's are a pointless treadmill, but that's a harsh reminder. I bet there's going to be a lot of rage about that.

Let's see how their next weird meta-progression thing pans out. The grind is dead, long live the grind!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

quote:

One of the ways we plan to do this is with our continued use of Bolster. Bolster is a mechanic that boosts a character’s power to a fixed level. In Onslaught, all players in PvP will be Bolstered up to the highest item rating in the game. This levels the playing field so that item rating on gear level no longer matters in PvP.

However, Set Bonuses, Tactical items, and Amplifiers will all affect your PvP experience. Although every player is at the same power level, the way they choose to focus that power is in their hands. We look forward to your feedback on how these items impact PvP, so be sure to provide your feedback now and on PTS!

this is tentatively promising, though not really sure about these tac items or amps

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I haven't played this game in a long time, and I'm simultaneously glad to hear this and sad for all the people that went through that grind, only to have it totally wiped away. Like we all know MMO's are a pointless treadmill, but that's a harsh reminder. I bet there's going to be a lot of rage about that.

Let's see how their next weird meta-progression thing pans out. The grind is dead, long live the grind!

On the bright side, I'm gonna be marginally more special with my Tier IV flair :unsmith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Galactic Command and uhhh I can't remember the new name for it are really a great thing. It was hot garbage at launch, but now it's an entirely supplemental system. The people that complain about the RNG of it are generally using it as their sole way of gearing, which is dumb.

Before 5.0 there was no way to get top tier gear inlet you did hard mode raiding, and now casuals have a way to do it. Never mind that they don't need the gear unless they're doing hard mode raiding or Ranked PvP

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of enjoyed how Command Ranking at least let me feel like I was gaining something from all the mooks I was killing at level 70, even if i had fully geared out by rank 40 or so.

Cross-Section posted:

I like to just report everyone for spam.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

I ran the bug hunt farm yesterday for a little while and got almost 30 levels.

Is there any downside to leveling this way?

Looking at the Onslaught gearing mechanisms from a casual pov it doesn't look that bad. I'm just annoyed atm and trying to decide if its worth gearing my soon-to-be 70 Bounty Hunter or to level the republic characters to get the follower bonuses :shudder:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The only downside to bug hunt is it's mind numbingly boring. And it's not like you NEED to rush to 70 unless you're trying to power level an alt for your raid group. But if you enjoy it, more power to you. :)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm actually relatively curious, how is the current raiding in this game? I did play on release through ... two? raids/operations with a group but I can't remember poo poo. Has raid design improved? I would especially appreciate if you have comparisons to FFXIV raiding the past two expansions where the raiding operates around clear AoE markers, gcd usage for movement/positioning without losing uptime, "trite memorization" in comparison to WoW's more reactive/mushy nature. I have played WoW for years and I really dislike their "mushy" encounter design in comparison. I was watching a random 8-man stream of a giant droideka-esque fight and the mechanics seemed relatively interesting.

I originally enjoyed how marksman sniper played kinda with (mobile) cover usage and movement but I understand they're gotten rid much of that?

Edit: My biggest problem with the game apart from its poor optimization was random mouselook twitching anywhere from 45 to 180 degrees switching my orientation across two mice and PCs which made any serious play impossible. Last I checked they still haven't gotten a fix (or are recognising) this issue despite numerous threads about it.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 12, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Especially since it's double XP week - just run through the class missions and nothing else (popping XP tokens as you get them) and you'll hit 70 well before Corellia.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is there a particular point in the story where it makes the most sense to do the Star Fortresses? It seems all my alliance alerts are for them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
There's one or two natural breakpoints between chapters in the story if I recall where you're essentially putting your feet up between big jobs, those would probably make the most sense