Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ntan1 posted:

Pretty accurate. Except the えっと、あの、えぇぇ thing probably doesn't work either because it really is just accent training. Like, it's just painfully obvious (and I've also seen a lot of white/chinese people with really strong accents speak Japanese and it can be hard to understand too).

PS: I've been told I don't really have an American or Chinese accent when speaking Japanese, and that I'm super natural. I think this is an advantage from learning how to speak in middle school.

My vocabulary isn't that big unfortunately but most people here have told me that my Japanese sounds almost nativelike, I guess because my native language is Dutch which also has short vowels and a lot of wonky sounds. The only thing I still have some trouble with is speaking in the front of my mouth, which is what most Japanese people seem to do to make the language sound so soft and "liquidy" for lack of a better word. My consonants are a bit too pronounced but otherwise it supposedly sounds good.

In general I think English speakers have a harder time because English vowels are mostly diphthongs which seem to be hard to unlearn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Speaking to a non-native (or non-fluent) speaker is a skill that people need to develop over time. Sometimes people will have had that opportunity but many times not. That's just the way it goes.

This. This this this this. This was the biggest hurdle I had when preparing materials and learning how to teach when first here, and it’s absolutely a communication skill to phrase something simply and clearly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder how much Spanish has helped me with pronouncing Japanese. Prolly not much.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
They actually share the exact (or almost exact) same sounds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

netcat posted:

I nearly booked a late trip for July since I found some decent ticket prices but thought better of it after some searching around if the heat/humidity is -really- that bad. I could probably handle it without dying but walking around soaked in sweat all day isn't very pleasant.

Good luck. You can get electrolyte chewables at pharmacies in Japan, I found them very helpful in summer.

Japan is very bad at air conditioning (except in convenience stores) so you're just going to be damp and gross and uncomfortable all the time. Nearly my entire Japan trip last summer was going to places on their hottest day in recorded history. I doubt it's going to get any cooler, so.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What bothered me last year was not necessarily the record-setting highs, but the fact that summer was so drat long. I remember sweating like hell for like 5 months? of 2018.
Even taking like 4 showers a day, you still feel sticky and nasty.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Seriously, merino wool boxer briefs.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

What bothered me last year was not necessarily the record-setting highs, but the fact that summer was so drat long. I remember sweating like hell for like 5 months? of 2018.
Even taking like 4 showers a day, you still feel sticky and nasty.

Yeah man, it was still like 30 degrees in November.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Good luck. You can get electrolyte chewables at pharmacies in Japan, I found them very helpful in summer.

Japan is very bad at air conditioning (except in convenience stores) so you're just going to be damp and gross and uncomfortable all the time. Nearly my entire Japan trip last summer was going to places on their hottest day in recorded history. I doubt it's going to get any cooler, so.

Yeah I still have a few hours to change my mind which probably means postponing until sometime next year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Going to Japan in summer is still better than not going to Japan at all.

Just if you have the choice go in like, April or October. Winter's nice too, you can choose between Hardcore on the Sea of Japan side and Mild on the Pacific side.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Going to Japan in summer is still better than not going to Japan at all.

Just if you have the choice go in like, April or October. Winter's nice too, you can choose between Hardcore on the Sea of Japan side and Mild on the Pacific side.

Maybe, but spending two weeks constantly sweating does sound a bit horrible

My last trips have been in May and November both which had basically perfect weather. I can probably get a week in autumn this year but it's so short for the price of going imo

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i would 100% recommend postponing until after summer. its still a cool place, but its not gonna be going anywhere and the summer sucks balls.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Last year I went in the beginning of May, having only ever been to the country in June-August before. It was cold and wet and miserable. Not visiting outside the summer months again. :mad:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I went to hokkaido and amori in december and it was rad as hell. got to eat apples in the snow and drink whiskey in the snow and eat ramen in the snow and eat soup curry in the snow.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I live in a place just as hot/humid as tokyo in the summer tho so it's basically the same for me to go there in the summer and the snowy winter was a nice change of pace.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m going this winter with some friends (you met them) to go skiing. Family friend of mine have a place for us to stay in niseko. Would you like to join us?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Got drunk as gently caress with my dad in law in shimbashi while eating a mountain of horumon. Why the gently caress don't i live here anymore

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

totalnewbie posted:

Seriously, merino wool boxer briefs.

This, unless you have a wool allergy like I do.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
lots of fun stuff happens in japan in summer which is one of the reasons why that's when i go

the other is the fact that i'm never not in school

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m going early October, so this talk of Autumn being good has me pumped.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm most likely going next April to test up for Kyudo, assuming IKYF releases the schedule soon enough for me to plan my time off, but I also want to try November-ish, maybe this year.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

NATIONAL WEEK HOLIDAY FOR CHINA

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm going in November myself. I refuse to go travel in the summer months to anywhere with any amounts of humidity. My California raised rear end would melt.

My mom currently lives in Taiwan, and even she tells me never to visit her in the summer.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

arisu posted:

I'm going in November myself. I refuse to go travel in the summer months to anywhere with any amounts of humidity. My California raised rear end would melt.

My mom currently lives in Taiwan, and even she tells me never to visit her in the summer.

You’d live.

I’m from Maine and so pale I get a sunburn if I even think of going outside, yet have lived in Taiwan, Singapore, and Japan in the summer. You just do what you do? I don’t know what the deal is with people bitching about heat and cold unless you’re actually getting to dangerous exposure levels.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm sure I'll be fine but given the choice between going in cooler months or warmer months, I'm gonna pick the cooler months. I don't like humidity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Hopefully not the first week of October. :getin:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
summer is fine

i like summer

it has festivals and ghosts and i like those things

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

You’d live.

I’m from Maine and so pale I get a sunburn if I even think of going outside, yet have lived in Taiwan, Singapore, and Japan in the summer. You just do what you do? I don’t know what the deal is with people bitching about heat and cold unless you’re actually getting to dangerous exposure levels.

I'm from the Nevada desert and lived in subtropical China for six years and I still don't like heat or humidity. You're right it's not going to kill anyone (most of the time), but especially on a vacation you'd rather be comfortable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Beep boop why humans not like being uncomfortable???

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Grand Fromage posted:

Hopefully not the first week of October. :getin:

We arrive the 6th at 8 pm. The 7th would be the only day that would overlap with the Chinese holiday, and I imagine a lot of them would be flying out that day.

Unless you guys know something I don’t, I think we’ll be okay.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nanigans posted:

We arrive the 6th at 8 pm. The 7th would be the only day that would overlap with the Chinese holiday, and I imagine a lot of them would be flying out that day.

Unless you guys know something I don’t, I think we’ll be okay.

Shouldn't be too bad then. Spend that first day eating instead of going anywhere touristy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kind of want to be around in August for the festivals (and also my birthday) but god I can’t even take the heat in Boston summer.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Grand Fromage posted:

Shouldn't be too bad then. Spend that first day eating instead of going anywhere touristy.

Where are the places with good food that the Chinese avoid in Tokyo?

I plan to eat my weight in delicious food that week, so might as well start on day 1.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Chinese you really want to avoid are big giant tour groups that already have prearranged meal places that you're definitely not going to, so don't worry about that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Beep boop why humans not like being uncomfortable???

Literally this.

Bloodnose posted:

The Chinese you really want to avoid are big giant tour groups that already have prearranged meal places that you're definitely not going to, so don't worry about that.

Often enough at Chinese restaurants too lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Often enough at Chinese restaurants too lol

That's weird cuz like 99% of the Chinese places in Japan are criminally bad for whatever reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Where are the places with good food that the Chinese avoid in Tokyo?

I plan to eat my weight in delicious food that week, so might as well start on day 1.

Chinese tour groups go almost exclusively to Chinese restaurants, do just avoid those. Ikebukuro probably has the biggest concentration?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Haha, that's pretty funny. I guess it's the equivalent of Americans going to a foreign country and eating at TGI Fridays.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Haha, that's pretty funny. I guess it's the equivalent of Americans going to a foreign country and eating at TGI Fridays.

McDonalds, and shitloads of Americans do precisely that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Stringent posted:

McDonalds, and shitloads of Americans do precisely that.

What about Americans who go to Japan to go to Bikkuri Donkey