Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I recall the Trent Reznor sound pack for Doom 3 being a ton of unaltered stock sounds people have heard a million times but the way people talk about it makes me feel like I was missing something

I'd rather take any sort of custom noise over something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chaosapiant posted:

I like Doom 3. I started playing a second playthru on Hard Mode and am using my 7.1 wireless headphones and it's pretty great!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i will always 100% support doom 3 in that it's pretty solid as long as someone knows what to expect and isn't looking for something else entirely

I'm really wanting to try the VR mod for Doom 3. I'm waiting to see what happens in the next few months. Maybe wait for Black Friday or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm really wanting to try the VR mod for Doom 3. I'm waiting to see what happens in the next few months. Maybe wait for Black Friday or something.

Its pretty terrifying. You feel vulnerable, so all those moments where you hit a trigger and the lights go out and a chainsaw dude comes out of a monster closet behind you?

Eeeee!

Good stuff.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What FPS has the closest to perfect arsenal? This includes the sound effects, the animations, usability, balance, etc.

Anyway it's Half-Life 1's.

FEAR. Even the basic pistol is great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all of fears guns owned and its greatest sin was not letting me carry all of them

e: also, a couple problems aside that doomrunner launcher is pretty nice

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Halo 1 loadout might have been better than fear's.
It had different hit effects per gun, per enemy which was probably overkill and why they didn't do it again but it certainly added a lot of feedback.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Stake Gun in FEAR owns because with enough slowmo cheats you had enough time to pin everyone to the ceiling after hurling grenades at their head

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

FEAR. Even the basic pistol is great.

Hell, even your fists are great in FEAR. Don't remember how but you can holster your gun and just punch people, which in slow-mo usually results in them going flying in strange ways

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

FEAR has one of the best predominantly-real-world-style arsenals. I don't know another game that makes assault rifles feel that good.

Painkiller has a great loadout with a bunch of neat synergy moves between primary and secondary fire. Turok 2, while not my favourite game overall, has a great arsenal.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Killzone 2's assault rifles were superb but it will be forever stuck on the PS3 with aiming lag.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry_Ed posted:

Hell, even your fists are great in FEAR. Don't remember how but you can holster your gun and just punch people, which in slow-mo usually results in them going flying in strange ways

Slowmo flying kicks 4 life

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If they could just make a multiplayer roguelite outta FEAR so I could endlessly murder AI with my friends dipping in and out of slomo, I'd be set for a good year.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

idk how they failed so badly to properly capitalise on the FEAR series. the second game felt like a bad photocopy and i wasnt interested enough to try FEAR 3: Ecks vs Sever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 3 is fuckin great. It is the most successful attempt there has been at a first person shooter arcade game. FEAR 3 is the first person shooter version of a lightgun arcade cabinet.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

doctorfrog posted:

If they could just make a multiplayer roguelite outta FEAR so I could endlessly murder AI with my friends dipping in and out of slomo, I'd be set for a good year.

They did in fact (let a Korean team) make a multiplayer only roguelike FEAR game, and it was loving garbage.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, F3AR is a bad FEAR game but as its own thing it's pretty fun. I got a decent 30 hours out of it playing the campaign and bonus modes both solo and with friends.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I adore the entire franchise, mostly, and the shooting was not FEAR 3's problem.

Never did play FEAR Online though. It wasn't hard to tell that it was going to be a piece of poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 3 ain't a bad FEAR game either. It's got slow motion jump-kicking clone soldiers and ghosts while physics objects and partciles fly in all directions and the game tries to spook you by having things pop out and make violin sounds. The only thing it does that is not like the first game is lean further on the brutality when it comes to the horror. But even then, FEAR 1 opens with a bunch of dudes getting turned into chunky salsa and feasted on by a ghost cannibal in the first 2 minutes.

edit: And also has regenerating health but this was the age of console shooters with regenerating health so that's not really surprising.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 5, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Alright I've put FEAR 3 on my wishlist for the upcoming Summer Sale. I've recently been picking up some various FPS games that I never got around to playing, like The Darkness II, Bulletstorm, and Singularity. Seems like FEAR 3 might be a good addition to that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright I've put FEAR 3 on my wishlist for the upcoming Summer Sale. I've recently been picking up some various FPS games that I never got around to playing, like The Darkness II, Bulletstorm, and Singularity. Seems like FEAR 3 might be a good addition to that.

That is a very good list of games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DorWmC7l6Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWV9xIAvgA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Excellent! Total Chaos was so awesome, I'm super looking forward to whatever this is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Whoa

I dig the aesthetic. Very PS1. Kinda reminds me of Hard Reset from what little they showed, although hopefully not too much like Hard Reset :cheeky:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Fear's parallax occlusion mapping never took off in the way I wished it did

Guns blowing chunks out of walls is still one of the most impressive effects in a game, and it's over a decade old now

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

FEAR 3 is fuckin great. It is the most successful attempt there has been at a first person shooter arcade game. FEAR 3 is the first person shooter version of a lightgun arcade cabinet.

I liked the "F**king Run!" mode even though it was barely played.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Probably worth mentioning that over at GOG's Summer Sale, FEAR 1 + Expansions is five bucks and FEAR 2 + DLC is $3.79.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Guns blowing chunks out of walls is still one of the most impressive effects in a game, and it's over a decade old now

That was a very impressive effect, yeah. The bullet holes basically have to overlap with actual physical objects that are part of or otherwise on the wall for it to look anything less than perfectly natural. It's sad that nobody else did that, what with the game releasing a month or two before the 360 did it was perfectly timed to become one of the big graphical gimmicks of that generation.

FEAR is one of those games where I worry that my love for it borders on unreasonable, and then I play through it again, trying out slightly different sets of weapons for individual encounters and hearing more lines from the Replica that I had no idea they could say, and I remember that my love for the game is perfectly natural. Less so is my tendency to nail enemies to the walls by their asses whenever I get my hands on the Penetrator, but hey.

The closest to a bad thing I can say about FEAR is less about the game itself and more about how later games completely failed to copy any gameplay elements from it. Shotguns are the big victim, especially since CoD4 came out a couple years later and made "shotguns can't reach past seven feet" part of the checklist on how you were "supposed" to do a shooter for way too long. In the last ten years I think I've played two games with shotguns that impressed me even half as much as the VK-12 did, and only one of them was even doing so by design.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

The Kins posted:

Probably worth mentioning that over at GOG's Summer Sale, FEAR 1 + Expansions is five bucks and FEAR 2 + DLC is $3.79.

FEAR + FEAR 2 + DLC + FEAR 3 is available in a cheap bundle here as well.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
F.E.A.R. 3 gets a bad rep because the story is kinda garbage and it's definitely more arcadey. But drat if it isn't fun.

Playing as Fettel and possessing enemies is a great mechanic. I remember fighting through a cargo yard full of conexes with the Point Man and having an 'oh poo poo' moment when a heavily armored Replica with a penetrator burst from a shipping container. As Fettel this becomes an "oh YEAH" moment since you can just possess that dude and use his body to mow down every other enemy in the yard.

Sucks for Beckett, though. It's bad enough he gets ghost-raped in the last game, now he gets exploded, too.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

My F3AR anecdote is that time I shotgunned a human soldier in the face and the damage decal was applied to the model but he didn't die, so I had someone chasing me around and shooting while looking like this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone play FEAR Complete? Seems to add a bunch of enemies and weapons from later in the series to the first game. I was always sad that modding never really took off in a big way.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Angry_Ed posted:

I spent way too much time on this stupid joke

drat, first thing that came to my mind too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Fear's parallax occlusion mapping never took off in the way I wished it did

Yeah it did it's been in basically everything mainstream for many years now and there's much better versions of it now, most small "3d" details you see now is just a POM.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Mordja posted:

Anyone play FEAR Complete? Seems to add a bunch of enemies and weapons from later in the series to the first game. I was always sad that modding never really took off in a big way.

I just gave it a whirl, and playing up to "Bad Water" where the game bugged out on loading the map and took away all my guns, my HUD, and my ability to punch and kick things or even move from the spot I spawned in on, I'd have to say I can't recommend it. Occasionally throwing in enemies from FEAR 2 is neat, it increases the difficulty of some encounters slightly but nets you higher-level weapons sooner, but ultimately it's worse in just about every way. It tries to add proper ironsights to the game, but does so in the laziest way possible - by simply shifting the model to the center of the screen when aiming - which the weapon models definitely weren't made for and which the existing animations don't work with so it's impossible to keep on target if you move or lean or anything. All the weapons I got to try out were rebalanced, which had some upsides (the SMG kicked far more rear end than I remember) but is mostly a downgrade, with the pistols having both damage and their total ammo halved and the shotgun no longer consistently killing in one close-range shot. And worst of all, it somehow runs like complete poo poo now - I was getting noticeable hitching running it in fullscreen for my first test, and then it dropped down to maybe 15 FPS, including delays in things like when a melee attack would connect, when I copied over the autoexec file I made to run it in a window.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

... the pistols having both damage and their total ammo halved and the shotgun no longer consistently killing in one close-range shot.

:chloe:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yikes, sounds bad!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've finally completed all of Blood's official material on Lightly Broiled and fully intend to go through it again with Made To Order enemies on max, but I grabbed Bloody Pulp Fiction as well because I had an intense craving for More Content. Just passed the first level and other than some janky triggers that made it a little confusing to get through I adore the vibe and the detail. Are there any other unofficial map packs that follow in this quality?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Songbearer posted:

I've finally completed all of Blood's official material on Lightly Broiled and fully intend to go through it again with Made To Order enemies on max, but I grabbed Bloody Pulp Fiction as well because I had an intense craving for More Content. Just passed the first level and other than some janky triggers that made it a little confusing to get through I adore the vibe and the detail. Are there any other unofficial map packs that follow in this quality?

I'll give the advice I was given and say, Death Wish, Death Wish, Death Wish! Holy poo poo is it good, though I did play it on NBlood instead of Fresh Supply because it was broken in Fresh Supply when I tried it. I heard a recent patch fixed some things though? Anyone have any info on how compatible it is now?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Glagha posted:

I heard a recent patch fixed some things though? Anyone have any info on how compatible it is now?

I haven't given it a try yet, I'm waiting until I finish the expansions myself to jump into any mods, but the changelogs for the beta branch I've seen make a lot of mention of fixes specific for Death Wish stuff, so I'd say it should be pretty compatible now, and even if it's not it'll be getting there pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It plays without gamebreaking errors in 1.9.5, but is apparently not there yet with a lot of minor bugs. There's little reason not to just play through it in nblood or bloodgdx if you don't wait to wait for a couple more fb patch cycles or an update to death wish itself to help clean up compatibility. It's good on a level where it really deserves to be enjoyed with an accurate port.