Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oldstench posted:

It's not cultural - it's loving awful.

The sketches are very hit and miss but there are a couple that made me laugh out loud. The last sketch in the entire season is hilarious, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I just watched the first episode of The Act on Hulu and I love it. I looked up the story it's based on so ultimately l know what happens. Is the story told well, at least?

Well? Incredibly so. Completely factually? Maybe not. The girlfriend and I have been watching it this entire time, all that's left is the last episode.

I'm kind of sad about it ending. It's been heart wrenching and anger inducing the entire way through.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I have trouble watching The Act. It's very well done, but the way it's framed (with every episode starting with the night of DeeDee's murder) left a really bad taste in my mouth, like "here's this gruesome crime scene and then here's another hour of emotional, psychological and physical abuse so you get some false catharsis from the murder". I recognize that it's just me being dumb and oversensitive but it's pretty clear from everything about the real-life story that DeeDee was severely mentally ill and the show just makes her out to be a manipulative psycho for the good-mom vibes from what I've seen so far.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Oldstench posted:

It's not cultural - it's loving awful.

When you are this wrong do you even have the ability to realize how wrong you are?

I Think You Should Leave is nonstop bug eyed anxiety nonsense humor.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

mysterious frankie posted:

When you are this wrong do you even have the ability to realize how wrong you are?

:ironicat:

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Theres a documentary about the whole thing called Mommy Dead and Dearest on HBO, i think. Its pretty good and some of the reenactments on The Act are from the doc.

Nick Godejohn is played by one of the actors from Austin and Ally on Disney. Its really interesting to see this kid go from a wholesome show to murdering Mom but he does it really good.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

food court bailiff posted:

I have trouble watching The Act. It's very well done, but the way it's framed (with every episode starting with the night of DeeDee's murder) left a really bad taste in my mouth, like "here's this gruesome crime scene and then here's another hour of emotional, psychological and physical abuse so you get some false catharsis from the murder". I recognize that it's just me being dumb and oversensitive but it's pretty clear from everything about the real-life story that DeeDee was severely mentally ill and the show just makes her out to be a manipulative psycho for the good-mom vibes from what I've seen so far.

According to the wikipedia page about the murder, Dee Dee's father and stepmother flushed her ashes down the toilet.

Also I hadn't heard of this case until I started watching the show, and Gypsy's boyfriend was from the next county over from me.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

In the documentary, they totally trash Dee Dee and feel she got what she deserved.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I Think You Should Leave is nonstop bug eyed anxiety nonsense humor.

This guys about to Jack off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

This guys about to Jack off.

oh gently caress. what the gently caress?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eat The Rich posted:

In the documentary, they totally trash Dee Dee and feel she got what she deserved.

In the doc her own parents spend talk about how much of a piece of poo poo she was. What she put her daughter through was poo poo a CIA blacksite would call inhumane. It was beyond torture.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone know if the 1981 Sam Neill-starring horror movie Possession is available to watch anywhere? I can't find it streaming anywhere, and it's also not available through Netflix's DVD rentals.

I thought the internet was supposed to make obscure movies easier to find

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Patriot on Prime is the best show on any platform

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tuca and Bertie is completely insane and I kind of love it. It doesn't get quite as existentially horrifying as Bojack but it doesn't exactly shy away from it. I knew I was in for something weird when the intro started with a dancing building with big floppy boobs, but even that didn't prepare me for how weird it was.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deadite posted:

Does anyone know if the 1981 Sam Neill-starring horror movie Possession is available to watch anywhere? I can't find it streaming anywhere, and it's also not available through Netflix's DVD rentals.

I thought the internet was supposed to make obscure movies easier to find
Vudu and sorry, wrong Possession.
The (or one) place you want to check for these questions is justwatch.com

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Finished watching Chernobyl on HBO. I recognized the prosecutor in the last episode, but I couldn't place him. I thought, "Gee, Coach is looking Poltergeist young there!" Turns out it's the Roose Bolton actor from GoT.

I'd love to find out the song played during the end of the last episode. I'd search it but I'm about to drift off to sleep.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Finished watching Chernobyl on HBO. I recognized the prosecutor in the last episode, but I couldn't place him. I thought, "Gee, Coach is looking Poltergeist young there!" Turns out it's the Roose Bolton actor from GoT.

I'd love to find out the song played during the end of the last episode. I'd search it but I'm about to drift off to sleep.

I noticed a few GoT actors through the series. The old senior party member who bangs his cane and tells everyone in a meeting to prevent the news from getting out was the maester of winterfell, and the soldier who shoots the cow was Pyp from the nights watch

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I just watched “I Am Mother” on Netflix and it was excellent. #motherdidnothingwrong

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
currently watching dark on netflix. its really good if you can do subtitles or can stand the lovely va netflix uses. i personally cant stand the same 4 va's netflix uses in 99% of its poo poo but im fine w/ the subtitles. its a german tv show so if you sprechen sie deutsch you should really check it out.

its a mystery involving time travel but it doesnt have the normal time travel problems and honestly the time travel while a big part of it isnt as big as you think. its more like all you zombies style of time travel if you are familiar with that.

snergle has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Jun 7, 2019

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I watched the first episode of Dark a while back and have been meaning to get through the rest of the first season before S02 lands. I got a really good vibe off the first episode, like a more intelligent version of Stranger Things, so I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

Netflix just alerted me that the 3rd season of 3% is now streaming. It's a dystopian Brazilian sci-fi drama that really hooked me from the start. Its central concept is based on the idea of a meritocracy-led system of government allowing poors into their utopia depending on how well they do in passing through a series of increasingly contrived tests.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Elevator Screamer posted:

Netflix just alerted me that the 3rd season of 3% is now streaming. It's a dystopian Brazilian sci-fi drama that really hooked me from the start. Its central concept is based on the idea of a meritocracy-led system of government allowing poors into their utopia depending on how well they do in passing through a series of increasingly contrived tests.
Was the second season good? I never got around to watching it despite enjoying the first season.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I finished The Umbrella Academy the other night, thought it was pretty fun. The myself choices seemed pretty on-the-nose or "WACKY" every time but the look of the show more than makes up for it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The second series of Cloak & Dagger recently wrapped up (it's on Amazon Prime here in the UK, and I think it's on Hulu in the US). It's a bit of a slow start in the first season, but the chemistry between the two leads is great and they take full advantage of it being set in New Orleans as part of their worldbuilding, and once it gets rolling it's firing on all cylinders. And the second series is an improvement on the first. I'd definitely recommend it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Been watching Letterkenny on Hulu and it's loving hilarious. I don't know how it got to 6 seasons and I'm only just hearing about it but every episode makes me crack up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Letterkenny is the poo poo! Apparently Hulu picked it up so it's gonna be going for another season at least

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

mystes posted:

Was the second season good? I never got around to watching it despite enjoying the first season.

its as good as the first. plus it has alot of backlore you learn about the offshore and why the inland is so hosed.

Yvonmukluk posted:

The second series of Cloak & Dagger recently wrapped up (it's on Amazon Prime here in the UK, and I think it's on Hulu in the US). It's a bit of a slow start in the first season, but the chemistry between the two leads is great and they take full advantage of it being set in New Orleans as part of their worldbuilding, and once it gets rolling it's firing on all cylinders. And the second series is an improvement on the first. I'd definitely recommend it.

isnt the 2nd season its last because of the whole disney streaming site coming out? i know season 3 of legion and the netflix marvel shows were cancelled for that reason.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I finished season 6 of Letterkenny this week and I'm going to see them live later this month.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

snergle posted:

its as good as the first. plus it has alot of backlore you learn about the offshore and why the inland is so hosed.

isnt the 2nd season its last because of the whole disney streaming site coming out? i know season 3 of legion and the netflix marvel shows were cancelled for that reason.

It was airing on ABC/Freeform, which I think is part of the overall Disney empire and not a coproduction, so it might be OK? Maybe they'll just migrate it over to the new platform.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

EmmyOk posted:

Patriot on Prime is the best show on any platform

not emptyquoting.

I watched it a couple months ago and I'm watching it again. I never do rewatches that quickly

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I saw Hap and Leonard is on Netflix apparently. Great show to watch unfortunately only three seasons were made.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Labes for days posted:

I just watched “I Am Mother” on Netflix and it was excellent. #motherdidnothingwrong

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. Kept me hooked the whole time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The thing that got me good for I Am Mother was realizing the girl we're following *wasn't* the one that put the stickers on her chassis

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Really enjoyed "The Boys" on Amazon Prime. Corporate, corrupted superheroes had me binge the whole thing in one sitting. Some good "I can't believe that just happened!" moments, one in particular that left my jaw hanging open but also laughing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I watched the first two episodes of “The Boys” and really liked it. I’m not a huge superhero guy, but I do like stories that show everyday people living in a world gone mad, which is an itch this show seems to scratch pretty well. Good blend of humor/drama, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The comics of "The Boys" is really gruesome and I'm really glad the show is nearly as bad.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I've been on an international kick this summer, I can recommend Club De Cuervos (plus its spinoffs Hugo Sanchez and I, Potro), A Very Secret Service, Sacred Games (2nd season is coming), and Black Earth Rising. I also burned through I Am the Night last week but it felt a little anticlimactic (great atmosphere).

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

brocked posted:

I've been on an international kick this summer, I can recommend Club De Cuervos (plus its spinoffs Hugo Sanchez and I, Potro), A Very Secret Service, Sacred Games (2nd season is coming), and Black Earth Rising. I also burned through I Am the Night last week but it felt a little anticlimactic (great atmosphere).

A very secret service is a good show but I never got round to watching the second season.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

The comics of "The Boys" is really gruesome and I'm really glad the show is nearly as bad.

I’m reading them now, and I really enjoy them. I’m on volume 5, if I started to watch the show would there be spoilers?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’m reading them now, and I really enjoy them. I’m on volume 5, if I started to watch the show would there be spoilers?

The show is diverting heavily from the comics plotline but definitely keeps the spirit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I know I'm late to the party, but Good Omens was loving amazing.