Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Captain Cappy posted:

The AI in the trust system is going to be just as bad as the dumbass GC squads, believe it dattebayo

Counterpoint: It gives even more opportunities to dunk on Alphinaud.

The Media Tour dungeon had him slowly inch across the catwalk while Alisaie just hauled rear end across it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The trusts seem to be pretty scripted on bosses at least, so any of the grievances of squadrons on bosses (WP hard lol) won't be an issue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they're scripted per dungeon so there's no not doing mechanics except that alisaie will occasionally stand in the bad

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I watched one where he brought two hesitant trust npcs and neither of them got across in time to deal with the boss's mechanic so that's fairly cool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

UHD posted:

on that note do healers still have rescue

because triggering people by rescuing them into the donut hole of suzaku is one of the few times i feel true joy

i wanted to tank in lava in lota the other day and got rescued out :saddowns:
e: speaking of lota, the eurogoon datacenter also tries to tank bone dragon north, but we bone zoned them good that time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

So this is a whole other barrel of worms I'm opening but clemency is amazing in eureka. Sometimes healers just refuse to heal the tank, sometimes your soloing and potions aren't enough, a 10-30k heal is nothing to sneeze at when you don't have a healer.
One of the trickiest things about FF14 design (and MMO design in general) is the need to have classes that perform well in dungeons and are also solo-viable. I think Square's solution of giving classes a couple buttons they won't use in dungeons is fine: Sleep, Vercure, etc.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

FactsAreUseless posted:

One of the trickiest things about FF14 design (and MMO design in general) is the need to have classes that perform well in dungeons and are also solo-viable. I think Square's solution of giving classes a couple buttons they won't use in dungeons is fine: Sleep, Vercure, etc.

There's a time and place for them, mainly as oh poo poo everything has gone tits up buttons but they really do make good general purpose soloing tools.

All the tanks have real hefty self heals, paladin's is just more in your face about it and a more in your face dps loss.

Heck Second Wind has saved my rear end several times over the years as a dps and if it gets purged for ShB the world will be worse for it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I will never understand why people like Reshade.

Nice glam tho

I'll try:

Even with jpeg artifacting, the difference is Notable. Being able to jump up texture sharpness and color contrast makes the experience considerably more vibrant, with the exception that anything remotely orange becomes a pitch deeper than it's meant to (sorry Gosetsu).

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Emalde posted:

I'll try:
Even with jpeg artifacting, the difference is Notable. Being able to jump up texture sharpness and color contrast makes the experience considerably more vibrant, with the exception that anything remotely orange becomes a pitch deeper than it's meant to (sorry Gosetsu).
See, the problem I have with that is that it doesn't look like the same game. It looks... well, cartoony. It's like the difference between Morrowind and Oblivion's aesthetics, or Twilight Princess versus Windwaker, for lack of a better comparison.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah more vibrant/more contrast isn’t necessarily a good thing.

But to each their own I guess.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Wait, so people get mad when Rdm heal? I have never been yelled at for popping the occasional vercure during trial or raids. Usually it's to help out when the second Healer is down or after a revive and the Healer hasn't popped a mana skill yet. Or a Dps that it too far away from the party to get tapped by AOE heals.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm strongly considering gazing into the abyss and beginning my crafting leveling journey in this twilight before ShB. Any tips I should keep in mind? As I understand it this will take a long time.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I'm strongly considering gazing into the abyss and beginning my crafting leveling journey in this twilight before ShB. Any tips I should keep in mind? As I understand it this will take a long time.

Push them all to 15 first to unlock a bunch of useful crossclass skills. Then CUL to 37 for Steady Hand II, and then CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing is pretty standard advice for just starting crafting.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Kortel posted:

Wait, so people get mad when Rdm heal? I have never been yelled at for popping the occasional vercure during trial or raids. Usually it's to help out when the second Healer is down or after a revive and the Healer hasn't popped a mana skill yet. Or a Dps that it too far away from the party to get tapped by AOE heals.

In the world where you're running content with perfect players, you should never need to toss a vercure.

Of course, in... the actual game, it is sometimes pretty useful! But some people are bugged by that concession.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A red mage taunted me by healing the tank at full health with a slow cast once. They could heal themselves if they wanted to play healer. :colbert:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Kortel posted:

What you are describing is perfectly cool and fine. What people complain about are RDMs who just spam vercure during large pulls, or start trying to heal a tank with excog when they hit 75%

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kortel posted:

Some red mages go absolutely mental and self heal at 70% or start healing others when there's no reason to. Like spam healing the tank when they're a bit low or topping people up after an aoe goes out before a healer gets around to it.

As usual, it's a different story when a healer's down or poo poo's otherwise hit the fan.

And if a dps is out of aoe range they should learn to stay with the group. If they're out of medica range, they're nearly out of card and buff range as well.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 5, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kortel posted:

Vercure is a lot like Clemency in that every heal is a lost GCD worth of damage, with the additional detriment of being a lost GCD of mana accumulation. That opportunity cost is pretty huge but there are cases where it's worth it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I don't do any savage or EX content so if someone else is healing I just get to spam more holy since it doesn't fkin matter.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

How can you guys talk about tanks and DPS using healing spells and not talk about the summoners trying to heal people?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://open.spotify.com/search/albums/fantasy%20xiv%20original

FFXIV official albums are up.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Oh hell yes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:thatsrad:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

How can you guys talk about tanks and DPS using healing spells and not talk about the summoners trying to heal people?

We try to forget about these people.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's weird getting a look at the hell world where red mages will stop what they're doing to top off a tank midpull or whatever

I feel like even if it did happen to me it's rare enough that it's not worth commenting on

I'm just gonna post the best song from before meteor

https://open.spotify.com/track/2lozOPgeUdGmtauQGYeZZa

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's significantly faster than leveling a similar number of combat jobs, but the fact that it is optimal to do them all means it's still 8 jobs you want to get to cap.

After a certain point (where you get all relevant cross-class skills in the suggested order), you can start leveling them them in around the same level ranges to save armoury space.

Do your leves, this is pretty obvious, but it's generally the best way to get exp so you should do it so don't let your allowances overflow.

Do your GC dailies when they're cheap or easy to craft (you can check this in your timers menu)

Do your weekly deliveries (you can check this in your timers menu)

Try to get as much quality as possible during normal crafting instead of just churning out ingots or whatever because added quality is what your exp scales off of.

Look for good deliveries when you unlock them, some items are better than same level leves (in terms of number/price/access of ingredients), and they're always there unlike leve allowances. Deliveries can be checked in your timers menu.

Use exp scrolls, both GC/Rowena and squadron/FC effects; the two effects are flat% + time limit and flat% + total exp cap + a superfluous time limit, the two effects stack but similar effects/scrolls of different levels do not stack.

Remember to look up ingredient locations before you craft, it's less relevant for leveling than something like furniture crafting, but lots of low level ingredients are from housing vendors (both the outdoor public vendors and private house NPCs). Beastmen also have lots of relevant ingredients, the crafting tribe quests are also ok exp for the time spent.

Eat some cheap CP food, even the stuff from the starter city food vendors are ok for leveling.

Organize your item storage to maximize space, learn what's available at vendors so you can trash those stuff, de-HQ or sell stuff that aren't being used in highest level recipes you're interested in, get rid of the random food ingredients and stupid colored rocks that only go in level 51 jewelry recipes or whatever. You'll eventually learn what to keep and what to throw away and you'll still run out off space (I currently have less than 30 slots open across inv/retainer/saddlebag/glamour-toilet).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Levelling a crafter is super easy now. Beast tribes and various deliveries just toss exp at you like water.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Don't know why people are comparing vercure to clemency, it gets you dualcast without needing a target, that's easily worth at least 3 casts per dungeon.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Clemency is useful if you are progging O12S and you are short stack tank during Hello World. It lets you heal yourself and/or the DPS taking short+long stack in between the shared->single explosion which relieves a lot of stress from the healers who are usually positioned fairly far away dealing with healing defam at the moment.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
I just ran The Aery as AST and had some RDM chain casting Vercure on me everytime I took damage. I told him I was fine and he should just dps instead so he called me a dick.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Emalde posted:

I can't imagine playing without my reshade profile anymore, which is a super gentle bump to the color saturation. Every now and then I toggle it off and am just blown away by how washed-out and dull the standard game is by comparison.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious tanking etiquette protip: if you're tanking and someone pulls before you, don't pull the stupid "HEH, I'm gonna teach you a lesson and let you die" poo poo. Literally all you have to do is press a single button to rectify the situation. I guess you also have to swallow your pride, which seems to be something most tanks are incapable of.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm going to miss Sheild Swipe, it was pretty satisfying to get in some extra damage when blocking an attack.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There are places where vercure or clemency is useful, but I die inside every time I play healer and the RDM/PLD thinks people at 50% hp are in mortal danger and need healing when in fact no damage is about to happen and I'm waiting for assize to come off cooldown or for the boss to disappear so I can medica II or whatever.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I have never witnessed any of this Clemency/Vercure hate. Ever. And from the sound of the anger and urgency against the ability, it sounds like some dumb goon made up bullshit.

I mean, if your dungeon run happiness relies on a tank pulling off 100% perfect savage level rotations, you got problems other than a paladin popping his wad healing himself. Throw an extra Holy or Gravity or something.

Givin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Clemency is just another AOE enmity button and you should use it as much as possible to hold hate and buy your healer time to Holy.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Saint Freak posted:

Clemency is just another AOE enmity button and you should use it as much as possible to hold hate and buy your healer time to Holy.

Final Fantasy XI early days where you spammed cure 1, cure 2 and flash for hate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious tanking etiquette protip: if you're tanking and someone pulls before you, don't pull the stupid "HEH, I'm gonna teach you a lesson and let you die" poo poo. Literally all you have to do is press a single button to rectify the situation. I guess you also have to swallow your pride, which seems to be something most tanks are incapable of.

As somebody who has never tanked in their life: let them die. It is the honorable thing to do as a tank, and a strong power move as the DPS being beat to death by the enemy.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

ImpAtom posted:

An NPC in FFXIV... not being thirsty?

Y'shtolla seems pretty ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

As somebody who has never tanked in their life: let them die. It is the honorable thing to do as a tank, and a strong power move as the DPS being beat to death by the enemy.

I'm a career tank and I prefer not to be a petty rear end in a top hat who lets people die for a minor slight, but you do you I guess. Besides, it's a dps loss to let them die.

Of course it's also rarely an issue when I tank because I just make sure nobody pulls before me.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 5, 2019