Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Infidelicious posted:

yeah, only 2 of the new class were supposed to be laid:

Though I guess the ASAP might have been confusing.

I advise putting the new JSF on hold until other new construction is finished, as it is the primary contributor of the deficit.

Or at least delay two of them for the time being. Regardless, we'll be fiiiiine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Seconding the march to Tsingtao.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Even though I'll get crushed in this vote, we should invade East Prussia. We're not going to win the war by seizing colonial possessions. We should strike at Germany's heartland and then take the overseas possessions we want in the peace deal.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

April 1903

The invasion target is laid in. I halt construction of two of the armoured cruisers.

The eastern fleet is called upon.

Germany does not have the ships here to oppose us.

April 1903

Our scientists make another breakthrough.

Once again Germany can't stop our actions in the far east.

They are having financial difficulties, but their blockade is hurting us.

Although we are at war, the government has been cutting my budget! I am forced to halt construction on the other two Grom class, and may have to halt other ships soon!

May1903

This will help our budget! We get the men ashore with no opposition.

We get a look at an American armoured cruiser.

Our armour improves.

We batter them with impunity.

No! I need the Blyat now!

June1903

The fighting is short and sweet, the Germans are to far from their supply lines to stop us.

The scientists who deliver this message are all missing a limb or two.

The Baltic fleet sets off again.

Three battleships, two armoured cruisers and destroyer support.

17:19

We spot a German armoured cruiser. Once again, the German ships are under gunned - carrying 7” to our 9” guns.

17:46

We spot a battle line to the south.

17:51

First blood to us. The formation to the south is a CA and two Battleships.

Correction, three Elsass class battleships.

We continue to hit the Victoria-Louise. She has already lost half her speed.

18:17

Our Pamat Azova class ships engage the enemy battle line – but they are only a few hundred tons short of the weight of the German battleships, match them in guns, but have 4” less armour – but more speed.
I pull them back for safety.

18:55

The battle lines engage. I worry there is not enough light left for a major engagement.

20:01

A stern chase ensues, the similar speed battleships can't do much more than pot shot each other until we land this hit.

20:19

Twilight arrives, and the Rossiya loses a funnel.

The rearmost Elsass breaks formation, cutting across my ships.

She begins to circle, obviously some form of rudder malfunction – we lay into her.

Once again we have separated the weak from the heard.

We circle our prey, raining death until she slows.

21:27

Even darkness will not slow our fire.

The destroyers sweep in to finish the job. I break contact to let her sink – I need to get another ship to win the scenario.

00:25

A new victim is found.

This merchant has no chance.

Mission accomplished!

02:28

Dawn brings another victim.

Another glorious victory for the Russian Navy. This time we have sunk the Worth. That is 2:0 in battleships!

I am hailed as a hero.

This has not, however, broken the blockade.

North East Asia is looking better though!

June1903

The Army has done well, but the Navy needs money to break that blockade!

Lighter hulls is more money for armour and guns.

The drat blockade is biting though!

The people were unhappy before the war, now they are getting a little rioty in the streets.

Time for our cruisers to have some fun it seems. But there is no contact.

That drat blockade!

Now I need imput from you – I can continue to fight, but risk revolution so -

What peace terms should I go for?

Also, I need to balance the budget some more.

Which ships should I halt construction of?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Could you explain a bit more about what peace terms might be available to us?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Presuming it's like RtW 1, I'm guessing probably we can ask/demand colonies, reparations, etc depending on how our war score compares to their's. And we have choices on how harsh we can try and be over the peace terms.

Given we've sunk two battleships and taken a colony, I wouldn't think we're going to get a ton more than we have. But given we took no real losses from the war (well other than the serfs wanting to revolt) we came out pretty well and will get a lot of prestige. Also a collapsing economy.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Occasionally events pop up asking about peace, and what we want to demand (or I assume give if you're losing). Generally choices are something like: Just ask for peace, Peace with minor concessions, demand harsh concessions, and fight on until the enemy is completely crushed. Concessions are usually things like possessions (bases, which we'll get to pick based on a point system) and war reparations (increase our national income), but can potentially be things like ships as well though I've never gotten it. Since we've already taken Tsingtao, we'll keep it no matter what.

It's worth noting that while you get to suggest what peace terms to seek, the government won't always listen to you - there's nothing quite like decisively winning a war and then having your government turn around and offer peace with minor concessions. Similarly, the enemy nation also wont agree to peace if they think you're asking for too much and the war could continue.

At a guess, since we're winning Germany would probably agree to peace with minor concessions but trying for more would be risky.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 5, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Since we've already taken Tsingtao but we're under blockade and unrest is already at 7 (in RTW1 unrest 10 meant a revolution) I say we seek a peace with no concessions from either side. We've already got our concession and we could really use the break.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If we win, we get some number of victory points that we can use to take colonies; any unused points are converted to the national budget to represent reparations. It’s probably easiest for us to make a list of things we might want to take, in order, and then Grey can go down the list and take whatever we have the points for in the event of a victory.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

If we win, we get some number of victory points that we can use to take colonies; any unused points are converted to the national budget to represent reparations. It’s probably easiest for us to make a list of things we might want to take, in order, and then Grey can go down the list and take whatever we have the points for in the event of a victory.

Presuming we get any sort of colonies, I think Germany's possessions in Africa aren't really worth much historically (They went for the prestige of getting colonies after everyone else had gotten the good ones). Presuming ti's modeled or not, I think going for the German colonies in New Guinea would be good - reasonably profitable, can use them to expand our base network in the Pacific if we ever go to war with Japan, not going to catch us up in the klusterfrack that is Africa. Course, that depends on the game modeling them and it doing so sort of close to historically.

Also yes vote go for peace, minor concessions. Prioritize ending the war - if we can't get concessions, don't force the issue. Then we probably have to put some money into the serfs for a bit.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 5, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Press for: harsh conditions.
Focus on (lowest number, highest priority):
1) REPARATIONS - getting our economy sorted again, if reparations are an option
2) TERRITORIES
3) SHIPS
(If these are the 3 things to choose from, that is)

Territories preference:
1) North (and East) Europe
2) Mediterranean
3) Pacific
4) Africa
5) Elsewhere

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

wedgekree posted:

Presuming we get any sort of colonies, I think Germany's possessions in Africa aren't really worth much historically (They went for the prestige of getting colonies after everyone else had gotten the good ones). Presuming ti's modeled or not, I think going for the German colonies in New Guinea would be good - reasonably profitable, can use them to expand our base network in the Pacific if we ever go to war with Japan, not going to catch us up in the klusterfrack that is Africa. Course, that depends on the game modeling them and it doing so sort of close to historically.

Also yes vote go for peace, minor concessions. Prioritize ending the war - if we can't get concessions, don't force the issue. Then we probably have to put some money into the serfs for a bit.

Each colony is assigned a point value in-game. I don’t remember what Germany’s are like. If somebody’s at their computer they could fire up a new game and check how much each of Germany’s colonies is worth (you just click on the flag to see the individual colony’s information).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I really doubt the Germans are going to offer us much. While possible, they are probably in a better condition to carry the war on than we are. They've lost two Battleships and a far east colony. Our country is having massive civil unrest and the economy is in a bad state due to the blockade. If it keeps up we're likely to have a revolution or something close to it. Their navy's still mostly intact and they can keep the war on likely unless they're having more difficulties than we are.

Personally go for mild concessions, try and nab a small colony if possible. If not, just take a peace.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

We can't show weakness! Demand harsh concessions.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I am legit surprised we invaded so easily, I think the RNG was kind to us. That said we need peace now at any cost so we can keep our invasion target, 7 unrest is really bad and with a blockade we could pretty much collapse at any point with a bad roll or two.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

I am legit surprised we invaded so easily, I think the RNG was kind to us. That said we need peace now at any cost so we can keep our invasion target, 7 unrest is really bad and with a blockade we could pretty much collapse at any point with a bad roll or two.

That wasn’t our invasion firing, I think. The game just does it automatically sometimes if you have complete control of a seazone.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
We've already gotten Tsingtao and additional prestige. We don't really need any more stuff and we can't afford to have this blockade go on for much longer, so just sue for status quo peace.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Boksi posted:

We've already gotten Tsingtao and additional prestige. We don't really need any more stuff and we can't afford to have this blockade go on for much longer, so just sue for status quo peace.

Strongly agreed. This blockade is killing our shipbuilding program and humiliating the navy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Can I ask how the mechanics of Blockades work, and how you impose/break them.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Seriously, how are they blockading us when their ships always run away upon seeing a Russian flag?

Doesn't Germany control Norway? That would be a nice strategic get for us.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Blockades just go off of which country has the most tonnage in a sea zone so yes it’s possible to be blockaded but have the enemy decline fleet battles

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Moderate concessions if possible but otherwise status quo, we already grabbed a colony and the blockade will make things worse for us faster than they will for Germany.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
No concessions, we will lose the lot if there's a revolution

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Could we bring some ships from northeast asia over to northern europe to try and break the blockade?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Boksi posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

To my mighty, esteemed, and victorious Tsar and Cousin,

Kolya! I wish you the warmest congratulations on our successful capture of German Tsingtao! I have already contracted with local merchants to found a brewery that will forever mark this great day in Russian history!

As for the course of the war, I have to admit that while I am eager to pursue the Perfidious Prussians to the depths of hell, the laborers in Arkhangelsk are disappointed with the lack of food available and are making their traditional grumbling noises. I'm sure its of no concern, however, and will happily start re-assigning the malcontents to ка́торга labor. We at Русские созданы для борьбы и победы will stand behind you, always, and have already sent a number of snide letters to our hateful opposites in the "Deutsche sind zum Kämpfen und Gewinnen gemacht" community. I am sure it is causing no end of trouble for Cousin Willie as their morale plummets. Oh if only I could see the looks on their dummkopfs!

If you, in your brilliance and infinite mercy, are to entertain peace with Germany, however, I would offer the modest advice of obtaining token reparations for the costs of the German blockade upon our shipbuilding. As is I see we're running a significant deficit even after halting progress on the JTF. To solve that deficit the Admiralty should halt production of the Vorobey-class Light Cruisers for the time being. They are ill suited for the capital ship combat in the Baltic region and will take months to reach station where they could raid German shipping in the event of ongoing war. And if the war should end, they can be restarted as our budget improves and still be on station for their purpose.

As always, your loyal and loving cousin and servant,
Valeroshka

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 5, 2019

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I proxy my vote to Grey—either a white peace or peace with minor concessions, whichever he thinks he is likely to get.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Peace with minor concessions, assuming that we keep Tsingtao regardless of the level of concessions asked for.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Pershing posted:

Peace with minor concessions, assuming that we keep Tsingtao regardless of the level of concessions asked for.

^^ this thing

Tsingtao will soon be internationally known for its world-class kvass breweries!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Pershing posted:

Sounds appropriate to me, given the state of the war.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

We have acquitted ourselves nicely in this war, the Germans thought we were a third rate power; to be pushed around and have paid dearly for that misconception in Ships, Men and National Prestige.

But an extended war is not in our favor, due to our reduced tonnage and the geographic realities of our position in the Baltic.

A Status Quo Peace should be our aim.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 5, 2019

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
By the manual, the blockading nation must have 110% of the calculated tonnage the defending nation being blockaded has. Some types of ship are worth more in the calculation? Defending nations also have their own multiplier, Russian tonnage is only worth 70% of base, so Russia is just easier to blockade. The only zone that counts is the build area, so Northern Europe in this case, it doesn't matter what's happening on the Asian side of Russia.

Ships can't be moved out of a blockade (unless set as raiders). Doesn't mention if ships can be moved in, but it would take four months to transfer from Northeast Asia.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Mechanics chat!

I don't have RTW2 yet but I'm pretty familiar with RTW's mechanics (I wrote the book on the economy, basically, for those of you who might remember that), so unless Fredrik overturned a bunch of core stuff this should be reasonably accurate.

Victory and Defeat

While you are at war, you will from time to time get events relating to negotiations to end the war. You can choose one of several options of varying severity as mentioned by previous posters (e.g. aim for a white peace, press for hard terms, etc.). Your choice influences but does not control the result of the event. If you win the war (as opposed to status quo ante), you will get a number of victory points (e.g. 4 for a typical minor to medium victory, 10 for total victory). You can choose to spend these points on taking colonies. There are two main potential decisions here:

Do I take any colonies at all?
You should think of colonies as a strategic asset, not an economic one. Any points that you don't spend on colonies automatically go into reparations, which strengthen your basic national economy. At the beginning of the game, 1 VP of colony will have the same effect on your budget as 1 VP of reparations. However, the economic value of colonies declines over time, whereas your basic national economy experiences compounding percent-based growth over time. Within months, that VP of reparations will be generating more cash for your coffers than the equivalent-VP colony.

Which colonies do I take?
Colonies are useful for power projection: Each colony provides basing capacity for your ships (and now for your aircraft as well). Ships in sea zones with no friendly bases will suffer wear and tear that degrades their efficiency; a ship that incurs damage, including an event- or maintenance-based engine casualty, will be interned in wartime if it has no base to fall back on. Therefore, take colonies in sea zones where you want to operate but currently lack basing capacity.

Blockade

Not to pick on you, but

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

By the manual, the blockading nation must have 110% of the calculated tonnage the defending nation being blockaded has. Some types of ship are worth more in the calculation? Defending nations also have their own multiplier, Russian tonnage is only worth 70% of base, so Russia is just easier to blockade. The only zone that counts is the build area, so Northern Europe in this case, it doesn't matter what's happening on the Asian side of Russia.

Ships can't be moved out of a blockade (unless set as raiders). Doesn't mention if ships can be moved in, but it would take four months to transfer from Northeast Asia.

this isn't quite right. I've seen a couple people mention tonnage with respect to blockade. Blockade power—unless it was changed for RTW2, and the manual gives zero indication that this is true—depends on a separate number that is defined per ship type. In RTW1 these numbers, to the best of my memory, are as follows:
pre:
BB   12
BC   10
B     8
CA    5
CL    3
DD    1
Total all of these in your build area (Northern Europe for us), apply your national blockade multiplier, and compare with the equivalent number for your opponent. This is where the 110% comes in.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Signing on Peace with minor consessions and not pushing on the concessions if it means the war will go on. If the Germans call our bluff, we don't push the matter.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

No update today, as my kid is being a bit of a bugger. So you just get me screwing around on video!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Mechanics chat!

Thank you for that cogent explanation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Blockade

Not to pick on you, but

this isn't quite right. I've seen a couple people mention tonnage with respect to blockade. Blockade power—unless it was changed for RTW2, and the manual gives zero indication that this is true—depends on a separate number that is defined per ship type. In RTW1 these numbers, to the best of my memory, are as follows:
pre:
BB   12
BC   10
B     8
CA    5
CL    3
DD    1
Total all of these in your build area (Northern Europe for us), apply your national blockade multiplier, and compare with the equivalent number for your opponent. This is where the 110% comes in.

It's weird that cruisers aren't weighted more heavily for blockade duty.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, that struck me as odd too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
And subs not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Madurai posted:

It's weird that cruisers aren't weighted more heavily for blockade duty.

Cruisers are only useful for blockade if you can defend them against enemy battlecruisers, for which you need your own battle fleet. The reason the British were able to use a bunch of obsolete cruisers on blockade in WWI is because the grand fleet prevented the high seas fleet from trying to interfere with the blockade.