Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i've been itching for a new daily driver, maybe it is time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I've had my eye out for one of those it's really rare to see a clean one with manual+LSD, even with that many miles. I would seriously consider it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I'd love to get a TDI. Instead I daily drive a.... chevy metro. Same mileage, cheaper fuel. Not nearly as good.

I've been looking at the PriusC lately, it gets more than twice the mileage of my xB. Sat in one and it's pretty nice for an econobox, still wanna drive one to get the full feel of it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pricey, but do want.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've been looking at the PriusC lately, it gets more than twice the mileage of my xB. Sat in one and it's pretty nice for an econobox, still wanna drive one to get the full feel of it.

A friend of mine had one, they're actually pretty nice to drive. Of course my view is skewed because everything I own is an old flaming pile of poo poo. The biturbo may be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in, though... I just can't justify buying a new car.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I get that people love their trucks in the south, but I mean goddamn.

https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/millington-1998-gmc-z71-4x4/6904926974.html

Bonus No Contact Info, either a troll or an idiot. Hard to tell since it's CL, of course.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Those are very reliable but from what I’ve experienced they are absolutely terrible to drive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Most trucks are terrible to drive tbh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vanagoon posted:

I get that people love their trucks in the south, but I mean goddamn.

https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/millington-1998-gmc-z71-4x4/6904926974.html

Bonus No Contact Info, either a troll or an idiot. Hard to tell since it's CL, of course.

You can contact via Craiglist's email system if you prefer not to list contact info publicly.
But, yeah, those trucks aren't worth near that unless it's a southern car in the rust belt of something. I can find a thousand examples of a newer truck, probably in better shape, for less here in TX.
That said, when I tested that, one of the first page results was this:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ctd/d/tyler-1993-chevy-k-1500-z71-72k/6904427396.html

OK, it's a nice example, and relatively low miles, but $20K?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Most trucks are terrible to drive tbh

Toyota seems to have sorted that out on their trucks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uh, maybe. I’ve driven a few old Toyota Pickups and they are horrendous to drive, even by the standards of the time. My friend had both an ‘90 Corolla Sedan and a ‘90 Pickup - the Corolla was decent to drive (and rather fun in a way) but the Pickup was all kinds of awful. He later replaced it with a ‘92 Celica GT-S which was an infinitely better car than either.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rhyno posted:

Toyota seems to have sorted that out on their trucks.

People always seem to bitch about the seating position. At least in the Tacomas.
My work has currently 3 first gen Tundras. The seating position isn't all that comfortable in them (for me personally) either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've driven two new Tacomas and one Tundra. The Tundra is built for large people, the Tacoma is fairly comfortable from my experiences. Haven't driven an old one in ages so I can't really compare.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I rented a tacoma for a day, it doesn't work if you have long legs and have to wear steel toe boots.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Never driven a Tacoma new or old, and have only driven the first gen tundras so thats the best I can compare.

I've mostly just heard that "everyone says" the Tacomas have lovely seat positions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess it all comes down to your personal dimensions? I'm a fairly small guy so I guess I fit the truck better. I don't have numbers but it felt like it was the same size as my '95 F-150. I am curious what the new Rangers are like. Do we have a genera; catch all truck thred or does AI hate trucks these days?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
90's Rangers and S-10's have terrible ergonomics, but they're not that bad to drive

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

90's Rangers and S-10's have terrible ergonomics, but they're not that bad to drive

90's Rangers are the best small trucks ever but finding one that isn't a pile of rolling poo poo is impossible these days. It's why we're looking at 2010+ Tacomas instead of buying another 20 year old beater.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My brother has a Silverado for a daily, I don't how he does it that thing is awful to drive and a pain in the rear end to park anywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This thing has been listed for a long fuckin time

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/hello-is-there-anybody-out-there/1438074967?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can pretty much guarantee it has no floors left.

WHY WON'T ANYBODY PAY ME RUNNING CONDITION CAR MONEY FOR MY RUSTY SHITBOX WITH A BLOWN ENGINE NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got somebody coming to buy my car tomorrow so it *did* work, but Facebook's marketplace is pretty loving obnoxious with how it encourages people to just blast "Is this available?" messages... so I reply, and then they loving never answer again.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/penticton/amc-eagle-1983/1426438231?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Tempting. Eight hours away from me, though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

WHY WON'T ANYBODY PAY ME RUNNING CONDITION CAR MONEY FOR MY RUSTY SHITBOX WITH A BLOWN ENGINE NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT

God I hate that bullshit. "ORIGINAL" and "SURVIVOR" mean dogshit when the car in question is a rusty shitpile that doesn't run. No one cares about your original engine if it's a boat anchor, or that it's unrestored if you have to drive it around like Fred loving Flintstone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

God I hate that bullshit. "ORIGINAL" and "SURVIVOR" mean dogshit when the car in question is a rusty shitpile that doesn't run. No one cares about your original engine if it's a boat anchor, or that it's unrestored if you have to drive it around like Fred loving Flintstone.

NO TIRE KICKERS OR TEST PILOTS, ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING MOPAR WITH THE HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER 170HP 318

I'LL LET IT ROT INTO THE GROUND BEFORE I LET SOMEONE TOUCH IT FOR LESS THAN DOUBLE IT'S VALUE

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

NO TIRE KICKERS OR TEST PILOTS, ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING MOPAR WITH THE HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER 170HP 318

I'LL LET IT ROT INTO THE GROUND BEFORE I LET SOMEONE TOUCH IT FOR LESS THAN DOUBLE IT'S VALUE

My favorite (almost certainly a joke):

A real one, I like the look of the truck, but who is he selling it to? Are there people that believe and care that this is the only one like it to exist? No V8, 2wd, looks like something like twice the price it should be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

I found a real one of those a while back.

And again on that subject, i posted this december 23, 2014:

Powershift posted:

eight thousand dollars for a rusty cougar shell sitting in a field.

Well, i just recognized our old friend.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1970-mercury-cougar-eliminator-351c-4spd/1430073121?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

No. low. ballers. i. know. what i. got.

5 years older, 5 years more loving rotten from sitting in the dirt.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

5 years older, 5 years more loving rotten from sitting in the dirt.

Seems like he's implying that someone could take the parts (and maybe vin) from the lovely one, and put them on the good-but-not-as-valuable one, and have a 'valuable' nice car. Still an idiot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's nobody there because that is not a desirable Mopar. Once you start going past 1972 the Road Runners are just not a car that people want, the 73 looks bland in comparison to a 72 or earlier models. They will never really be worth anything much.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Around here's there's a 70s Cadillac parked on a stretch of road near some businesses. It's been for sale for 15 years now. Sometimes I see the guy go and wash it and spritz some oil in through the spark plug holes but I've never seen it running.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There's nobody there because that is not a desirable Mopar. Once you start going past 1972 the Road Runners are just not a car that people want, the 73 looks bland in comparison to a 72 or earlier models. They will never really be worth anything much.

Yeah, once you cross from 72 to 73 basically everything is falling off a cliff due to emissions, styling, insurance, oil crisis yada yada for all the big three.

Weird how they all converged.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

It's too bad to because mid 70s cars are nice, they just don't have the cache of the earlier cars. That said, I blame Barrett-Jackson for running up the prices on the old cars. Everyone thinks their 75 LeMans is worth $7k.

In that vein, here is an auction in Iowa. Guy is selling is 110 car collection, but the looks of it are that he just warehoused cars in a machine shed and didn't do much to maintain them. A lot of potential, but a lot of money too.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction/muscle-car-heaven-the-coyote-johnson-collection-auction/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNdIRoBiX0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hikaki posted:

I've had my eye out for one of those it's really rare to see a clean one with manual+LSD, even with that many miles. I would seriously consider it.

Turns out it was an old friend that owned it, I was going to go pick it up this weekend if it made it until then because that kind of helps the spontaneous car purchase thing.

Anyway, it sold in a day

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/hello-is-there-anybody-out-there/1438074967?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can pretty much guarantee it has no floors left.

Also because it's a '73. Pretty much the beginning of the decline of musclecars. That's pretty much a trim package.

e: f,b, a couple of times.

boxen posted:

A real one, I like the look of the truck, but who is he selling it to? Are there people that believe and care that this is the only one like it to exist? No V8, 2wd, looks like something like twice the price it should be.

"Rare" does not equal "desirable".

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I once (ages ago, like 2005ish) saw a Chevrolet Astro with a 4 speed listed for $3500. It’s uncommon sure, but does anybody care?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Darchangel posted:

Also because it's a '73. Pretty much the beginning of the decline of musclecars. That's pretty much a trim package.

I always find this line of argument to be silly. Almost any car you will be restoring will need the engine rebuilt and the difference in price between rebuilding it to 69 performance specs vs 73 smogger specs is negligible unless you you are dealing with something exotic. The car itself will be more comfortable than a 69 and has the advantage of a few more years of engineering behind it.

It's basically gatekeeping for the old guys at the car show who don't want anyone younger than them bringing in the "wrong" kind of car, then they turn around and wonder why attendance is dropping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SimonCat posted:

It's too bad to because mid 70s cars are nice, they just don't have the cache of the earlier cars. That said, I blame Barrett-Jackson for running up the prices on the old cars. Everyone thinks their 75 LeMans is worth $7k.

In that vein, here is an auction in Iowa. Guy is selling is 110 car collection, but the looks of it are that he just warehoused cars in a machine shed and didn't do much to maintain them. A lot of potential, but a lot of money too.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction/muscle-car-heaven-the-coyote-johnson-collection-auction/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNdIRoBiX0

I really hope he didn't store those this entire time with the loving windows open.

He could have tried to keep them clean and maintained/running but that probably would have been a full time job.

SimonCat posted:

I always find this line of argument to be silly. Almost any car you will be restoring will need the engine rebuilt and the difference in price between rebuilding it to 69 performance specs vs 73 smogger specs is negligible unless you you are dealing with something exotic. The car itself will be more comfortable than a 69 and has the advantage of a few more years of engineering behind it.

It's basically gatekeeping for the old guys at the car show who don't want anyone younger than them bringing in the "wrong" kind of car, then they turn around and wonder why attendance is dropping.

The smog issue isn't a big deal really, it's more that the styling started to get really generic after that to me. 73 started to go downhill, and after 75 forget it, the cars just got really loving bland.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 7, 2019

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I really hope he didn't store those this entire time with the loving windows open.

He could have tried to keep them clean and maintained/running but that probably would have been a full time job.

The smog issue isn't a big deal really, it's more that the styling started to get really generic after that to me. 73 started to go downhill, and after 75 forget it, the cars just got really loving bland.

Yeah, much later than 1973 and you start getting into Malaise era (maybe already into it, I don't remember), and more importantly I think most of the cars are just ugly.

My personal cutoff year is 1974, as around where I live that's the cutoff for cars don't have to be smogged every two years. It's just a sniffer test, but after dealing with that poo poo in my 80's beater, it'd be nice to have something old that I don't have to deal with it. I'm lucky in that I like the look of that 73 Plymouth that Powershift posted; if for some reason I ever have the desire and money to put like an 800 horsepower big block into an old musclecar, it might be in something like that, because I like the looks and they're inexpensive relative to cars just two or three years older.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's also because 73 was the year 5 mph front bumpers became mandatory, rear in 74. And a lot of cars got butchered to accommodate them. While I like the 73 Road Runner, I can see it being a disappointment in the moment compared to the 71/72 with it's combination grille/bumper in the front that was pretty cool for the day.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
GM seemed to deal with the bumper issue in 73 better than the other makes, though they got chunkier as time went on. I will go with 75 being a good cutoff because the styles really start leaning into the "personal luxury" idea as opposed to the cleaner lines of the late 60s.

I'm grumpy because my 73 falls into a deadzone as far as reproduction parts go, everything is 64-72 and 78-87 for the GM A-bodies, though it has been getting better lately since the prices of the 72 and earlier cars is forcing more people to look at the 70s cars instead.

That said, $5k for a rusty, non-running 73 Road Runner is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SimonCat posted:

With muscle car value, originality is the key. It really only matters what it came with. If you modify it, it’s now a “street machine”, hot-rod, whatever. Personally, I’ll modify the gently caress out of stuff, but the value of that Roadrunner is based on what it *is*, not what it can or will be.