Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If we're doing Lynch-style stuff, I have to put in a recommendation for the films of Luis Buñuel. The Avenging Angel is probably the most obvious comparison but my favorite is That Obscure Object of Desire. Most of his movies have surrealist touches to a lesser or greater degree but always in service of the overall theme and feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Criminal Minded posted:

Stanley Kubrick's favorite film was Eraserhead.
Wait, really? :psyboom:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’m surprised you didn’t know this! He made the cast and crew of The Shining watch it before shooting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m surprised you didn’t know this! He made the cast and crew of The Shining watch it before shooting.
I legit had no idea! Haha

So Eyes Wide Shut really might've been influenced by Lynch, then. Huh. That's awesome!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, the story is that Kubrick approached Lynch when he met him on the set of The Elephant Man and gushed about it. That must’ve been a hell of a moment for him...

Eraserhead would be staggering in any context, but when I remember that it was made on a shoestring budget by a director with no features to his name while he was still studying at AFI, my eyes kinda glaze over. It shouldn’t be possible to be that good that quick.

Also, Sissy Spacek, who was married to Eraserhead’s production designer, Jack Fisk, was instrumental in funding the film’s shoot.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
ATTENTION: There are still Twin Peaks prints available from Mondo right now. This may not last - get them ASAP if you’re interested in either of the two sets available.

https://mondotees.com/

You MUST complete checkout to guarantee your purchase. Good luck friends!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mondo charges way too much for everything.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The limited event soundtrack on double vinyl is out today too and looks amazing. Will complete that set nicely.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
RIP to Peggy Lipton.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-peggy-lipton-dead-20190511-story.html

I’m so glad Twin Peaks finally got to bring her and Big Ed together. :unsmith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Criminal Minded posted:

RIP to Peggy Lipton.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-peggy-lipton-dead-20190511-story.html

Awww :(

You're right, though. At least her character got a happy ending with the love of her life :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Given the huge gap between season 2 and season 3, it really is quite remarkable how many of the cast were still around to return, and how well they worked around those who couldn't or were too sick to do much (Log Lady :smith:)

The only regret I have about season 3 is that we didn't get Michael Ontkean as Sheriff Truman back, him and Cooper being reunited would have been so wonderful.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Criminal Minded posted:

RIP to Peggy Lipton.

I'm admittedly having a bad day, but I'm actually really gutted by this news :smith:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rest in peace my Queen

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

She was a treasure. :smith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Season 3 really missed Michael Ontkean....I hope we get to see him again

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chromatics are playing here tonight & I'd love to see 'em, but A. I don't have the money, & B. they aren't playing at the Roadhouse so it wouldn't be the same.

James has always been cool though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

RIP to Peggy Lipton.

I'm going to scream dance with her picture in remembrance. :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Chromatics are playing here tonight & I'd love to see 'em, but A. I don't have the money, & B. they aren't playing at the Roadhouse so it wouldn't be the same.

James has always been cool though.

Oh gently caress, thanks for the reminder. I got tickets like months ago, and I don't want this to be another situation like PJ Harvey where I sit around all day thinking, "Wasn't I going to do something tonight?" and remember two days later.

They're not here for another month, tho. Also, if any Portland goons are interested, I ended up with two tickets and my +1 might have bailed already, so PM me if you're interested.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I just read secret history and final dossier over the course of like 4 days. Mark Frost really knows how to grab my attention.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Breadallelogram posted:

I just read secret history and final dossier over the course of like 4 days. Mark Frost really knows how to grab my attention.

Lynch & Frost compliment each other’s strengths and approaches in the coolest ways. They’re a wonderful duo.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I am finally doing my long long long awaited re-watch of the series in proper chronological order without skipping anything. Before I was going from episode to episode and re-watching bits and pieces. But I just had SO much fun, 2 years ago, when I was watching this episode by episode as it aired. I truly cannot believe it's already been 2 years since the show aired, time just freaking soars by after you hit 30, it seems.

But, like... I've watched a lot of mainstream crap (entertaining or fun but ultimately hollow or shallow) in these 2 years, like catching up on the MCU and other stuff. Watching a film like Green Book for instance, I feel like it was a decent film and the production did a good job, but I took issue more with the way the music and the editing and the pacing all seemed so geared to make me feel this one, specific way - which is the right way. A film like that - not that it is bad per se - feels almost like a total inverse of what Lynch does in terms of NEVER clearly pointing the audience to view and interpret things through the specific lens of social injustice, and making the context of his film prejudicial attitudes in America. Obviously it's about other things - friendship, music, some subtle anachronistic fun, etc... But it doesn't lend itself to multiple interpretations, and the same could be said for MANY films purporting to be complex or 'deep' that really are quite rote and straightforward.

For instance, I was watching episode 3, and the drug-addicted mother taking her last pill with cheap whiskey while saying "ONE-ONE-NINE" to her child or the room in general... Made sense. Made so much more sense and seemed to fit perfectly into the episode. And I feel like... the way in which it makes sense to me is entirely unique, and has to do with deeply personal feelings, and memories, and intuitions. I can only think of a tiny handful other filmmakers who were actually capable of creating on that level - Kubrick probably, Pasolini, Jodorowski... Those are the big ones off the top of my head right now.

But yeah, I just... watching the quieter scenes like the Doc using his apparatus to easily apply gold spray-paint to multiple shovels at once. Or of course the infamous Green Onions sweeping scene, which gets better every time I watch it.

That's what impresses me the most. I honestly thought I would enjoy it LESS on the rewatch, not more, because there wouldn't be the mystery/excitement. Yet I find... when you watch the show on its own terms without expectations, you appreciate it on its own terms. When you aren't on the edge of your seqt hoping Dougie will turn into Super-Cooper and save the day in the next episode for seriously about a dozen straight episodes, you appreciate the Dougie scenes (and everything, really) in a new way.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 4, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

That's what impresses me the most. I honestly thought I would enjoy it LESS on the rewatch, not more, because there wouldn't be the mystery/excitement. Yet I find... when you watch the show on its own terms without expectations, you appreciate it on its own terms. When you aren't on the edge of your seqt hoping Dougie will turn into Super-Cooper and save the day in the next episode for seriously about a dozen straight episodes, you appreciate the Dougie scenes (and everything, really) in a new way.
Yeah, absolutely. Removing the anticipation that most of us had watching the first time makes it easier to focus on and appreciate Lynch's more abstract scenes, knowing how they all fall into place after having seen the finale.

Ugh, now I want to do a rewatch. It's been a while for me. I have the Blu-Rays, I just need to commit to binging it. I'll see screenshots from it on Twitter from time to time and they always excite me, even if they're from what many might consider a "dull" scene. I just know how they work in the fabric of spacetime that Lynch has created and appreciate that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It’s been like 2 or 3 weeks since the GoT finale and I haven’t thought about it once despite being a super fan all the way from the start but I think about Twin Peaks (especially fwwm and season 3) every day still.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sudden random thought that alongside everything and everyone else 'holy crap Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh just happened to be in this' I mean it's not like they need the recognition but still, wow.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

It’s been like 2 or 3 weeks since the GoT finale and I haven’t thought about it once despite being a super fan all the way from the start but I think about Twin Peaks (especially fwwm and season 3) every day still.
I've been talking about this with my roommate. Season 3 is something that will probably be with me for the rest of my life. I cant think of any show with as much sticking power, the way it just lodges in your brain and takes hold. Everyone on the planet can agree that Breaking Bad was one of the best TV shows thats been made, but even it has no lasting impact. Everyone has forgotten about it now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones always struck me as made to be talked about, generate week-to-week buzz with the latest outrageous twist, and that way drive up subscription numbers. Not so much for any kind of long-lasting cultural impact.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dont you dare lump breaking bad with the naked wiener show

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Breaking Bad definitely has cultural impact still, even though it ended 6 years ago, while Game of Thrones ended 3 weeks ago and it already feels like it’s disappearing from the cultural zeitgeist due to its last season being so lazy and lovely.

Breaking Bad was also a much better show in pretty much every aspect as well and is deserving of its reputation.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 5, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Better Call Saul is still running and a very good series in its own right IMO.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Breaking Bad is maybe the most overrated show ever made. I won't be taking questions at this time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Breaking Bad maintained a very high level of quality right to the very last episode, whereas by the end Game of Thrones had like 50% of the viewers just watching because of obligation and they were relieved to have it over with. So those people were anxious to just put the show behind them and forget about it. Breaking Bad had fans cherishing ever scene right up to the end.

That said, neither of them had the cultural impact of a Twin Peaks just because of how television was back in the early 90s. If you were the #1 show on the air that meant you had massive viewer share and t.v. today just can't compare to the simpler landscape that existed back then.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Agreed that Breaking Bad deserves its good reputation. That show is still incredible, and the ending is perfect. Game of Thrones has been uneven since season 5 and by season 7 dove right off a cliff.

Basebf555 posted:

That said, neither of them had the cultural impact of a Twin Peaks just because of how television was back in the early 90s. If you were the #1 show on the air that meant you had massive viewer share and t.v. today just can't compare to the simpler landscape that existed back then.

Yes, it's really not fair to compare the success of any piece of media today to the situation 30 years ago, not just due to the decentralized nature of access but the sheer volume of content.

Studio features today are still distributed in a similar manner to back then, and even they can't possibly reach the level of cultural dominance of blockbusters from the 80's and 90's. Studios released ~3000 films a year in the 90's and closer to ~10,000 today. There are a dozen or so "summer movies" in any given year now, and no single one of them sticks around most venues for more than a month. So, even though Avengers breaks records, its domestic take (adjusted for inflation) is still far behind the original Star Wars movies, or E.T., Jaws, or Jurassic Park. They were absolute juggernauts that dominated the zeitgeist for months upon their release. It's nearly impossible for something today to pull that off.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Most shows also have an extremely narrow story scope headed into their finales, eg the only thing that “mattered” in the final season of GoT was who was going to end up on the throne.

Up until the final scene in TP I still had no clue what was going to happen or what it all meant (in a good way). Not many people other than Lynch could really pull that off.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Xealot posted:

Studios released ~3000 films a year in the 90's and closer to ~10,000 today.
Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that 10,000 copies of movies are sent to theaters, or that 10,000 movies are made each year?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GoT had a ton of poo poo that mattered, they just forgot about it

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

zelah posted:

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that 10,000 copies of movies are sent to theaters, or that 10,000 movies are made each year?

Movies are made each year. Obviously, only a fraction of those are things that get wide theatrical release (vs. smaller local market releases, VOD/home video, etc.)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I did not at all mean disrespect to breaking bad. That show is definitely incredible and a great example of character development. I didn't mean to compare success or viewership, its just that breaking bad is a show that doesn't have a lot of reason to go back to it, but Twin Peaks is something that gets lodged in your brain and requires deep thought.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I feel like if we're discussing Twin Peaks and the greater impact that it had on television as a whole, then we would be, quite frankly, remiss not to mention the show Lost, or I suppose I could just say :lost: - that in and of itself makes a certain point.

But really, I think that Lost did a good job in sort of... carrying the torch for genre television in what was ultimately a cleverly subversive way - Lost only succeeded in the way it did by pulling in tons of viewers with the heavily promoted pilot that sold it as something kinda different from what it really was. Hell, it took me months to start watching because I thought it was something stupid that was possibly another cheap Survivor knockoff - bear in mind that this was 2004, in the very midst of a landscape where the sitcom had died off, and yet networks had yet to by into serialized dramas at all. Reality TV and Procedurals basically ruled the roost, hand in hand - I believe there 3 different seasons of Survivor in 2004 as well as 3 different versions of Law and Order running concurrently at the time... At least.

Anyway, I really don't know that serialized TV - especially anything that wandered into the realm of sci-fi or worse yet, "magical" supernatural happenings, risked alienating their viewers. It was like, strictly X-Files territory (another show influenced by TP in its own way that deserves credit really). Sure, the BSG remake had just premiered on the SYFY channel, but nobody was really taking that too seriously except the fanboys at the time. And I'd even argue that but for the revival in the interest of genre television that took place after Lost proved that you could be weird *and* successful at the same time on Network TV still. I don't think any show had really proven that point since Twin Peaks, and it showed in that the tenor of what dramatic shows got approved changed, and even the writing in many of the procedurals changed; by 2007 and 2008, shows like House were doing long, multi-episode arcs where chronology mattered; whereas, efforts to do the same thing in the first several seasons were FAR less pronounced, and less successful.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find the OG series Blurays locally and amazon seems to sell it, but it groups both into the same listing and all the comments are for both, am I right to assume the [Region free] cheaper one is the plastic case one and the slightly more expensive [Import] one is the nice one that's an actual box with disk folders and art cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find the OG series Blurays locally and amazon seems to sell it, but it groups both into the same listing and all the comments are for both, am I right to assume the [Region free] cheaper one is the plastic case one and the slightly more expensive [Import] one is the nice one that's an actual box with disk folders and art cards?

I don't think it's possible to get the nice packaging anymore. They're probably all the plastic case.