Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I fixed something on my car instead of taking it to the mechanic! I know a little bit more about my car now. :feelsgood:

C. E. Croix posted:

I bought a car today and it's soooooo nice finally having one with bluetooth.

I can't wait for the day I finally get this going, whether it's a new car or a new stereo. I'm sick of burning CDs for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can still get little fm transmitters that plug into your phone's headphone jack

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Brawnfire posted:

Peppa Pig has caused my daughter to start calling me "DAtty" in a little British accent, which is probably the greatest development in my life since I discovered I could breathe

Oh my god :kimchi:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Less day more month, but because of all the overtime i've been doing, although taking a break from it this month, this months paycheck is a lot bigger than normal, so at the end of the month I may have an extra £450 to transfer to my savings account. I'm planning more overtime to come too after this month, so I'm hoping that this will become a frequent occurrence so I can build a decent chunk of a savings account (currently have around £1400 in it)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

An old manual watch I ordered from the Ukraine arrived and actually keeps accurate time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Peppa Pig has caused my daughter to start calling me "DAtty" in a little British accent, which is probably the greatest development in my life since I discovered I could breathe

This is painfully cute :3:

edit: Is it like this accent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpVI93hddY
(Video is very sweet and no-one is disappointed by their terrible gifts)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 10:32 on Jun 5, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

This is painfully cute :3:

edit: Is it like this accent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpVI93hddY
(Video is very sweet and no-one is disappointed by their terrible gifts)

Haha aww, she just turned two so it's less developed than that, but she's definitely doing the same sing-songy voice as this. We're painfully American so it really leaps out from the lovely upstate NY accent.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Haha aww, she just turned two so it's less developed than that, but she's definitely doing the same sing-songy voice as this. We're painfully American so it really leaps out from the lovely upstate NY accent.

That's too adorable :D

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I've been in a super deep depressive funk for a long time but I think I'm starting to come out of it; it's definitely buoyed by the fact I have freedom - I've had my car for a month now and It's amazing to just think, "Hey I want to do <x>" and just go DO IT. I really enjoy driving, and find it quite pleasant - although I am that jerk with the music up super loud in her car so all you hear is "thud thud thud" from the bass (sorry). It's just awesome to jam out to tunes and cruise along and I can see why people like to do that.

I'm also tickled that after never having one, I'm still not over the joy of having a dishwasher in my house.

Also that I HAVE a house.

In the space of a year, I quit an old lovely job that was literally causing me anxiety attacks, graduated college with an AAS as a med tech, got a new job before I even graduated that pays almost double what I was making, bought a house, learned to drive, bought a car.

Sometimes you just have to step back and see what you've done to really appreciate what you've got.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
New Doggies!

Meet Sasha and Waddle.

They're shelter dogs and they seem to taking well to their new home. I can't wait to play with them when I see my folks again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I plucked up the nerve to apply for a much higher-paying job. Getting there will require either walking for an extra 15 minutes or taking a bus, but the hundreds of extra £ per month will be worth it. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BioEnchanted posted:

I plucked up the nerve to apply for a much higher-paying job. Getting there will require either walking for an extra 15 minutes or taking a bus, but the hundreds of extra £ per month will be worth it. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Even if you don't get it you're building a good skill, going after what you want.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Even if you don't get it you're building a good skill, going after what you want.

At the minimum level I'd be earning what it currently takes a whole month of saturday overtime to earn, and it depends on expeirence so I could end up with even more than that because I have 6 years of relevant experience. My biggest fear that has been holding me back is that old chestnut "What if I get it, leave my current job, but then turn out I suck at the new one/something bad happens internally and I get fired"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

At the minimum level I'd be earning what it currently takes a whole month of saturday overtime to earn, and it depends on expeirence so I could end up with even more than that because I have 6 years of relevant experience. My biggest fear that has been holding me back is that old chestnut "What if I get it, leave my current job, but then turn out I suck at the new one/something bad happens internally and I get fired"

That voice is lying to you, so tell it to shut up.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah I have a funny story on that front. I'd been getting sick a lot in my then-current job as of last month, and began to realise it was stress from their crazy hierarchy (it was a disciplinary offence to talk to ANYONE more than a grade above you for ANY REASON). So I quietly sent off a few applications while recovering. One of them instantly offers an interview.

I go back to work. Except, in a scene straight out of the opening to a romantic comedy, my security badge doesn't work at the gate and I am instantly sacked. No reason given but almost certainly for annoying someone important by being sick.

But, double except! That interview turns into an almost-immediate job offer.

Total elapsed time out of work: 56 hours.

New pay rate: considerably higher than that of the manager who fired me.

If it weren't for the need to preserve a good reference, I'd send them a copy of my first payslip with a line of cut and pasted middle fingers across all the identifying details.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was walking down to the cafeteria to buy lunch, and decided to take the long way. It's a good thing I did, because I ran into a catered lunch with free sliders and fruit cups! :hellyeah:

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah I have a funny story on that front. I'd been getting sick a lot in my then-current job as of last month, and began to realise it was stress from their crazy hierarchy (it was a disciplinary offence to talk to ANYONE more than a grade above you for ANY REASON). So I quietly sent off a few applications while recovering. One of them instantly offers an interview.

I go back to work. Except, in a scene straight out of the opening to a romantic comedy, my security badge doesn't work at the gate and I am instantly sacked. No reason given but almost certainly for annoying someone important by being sick.

But, double except! That interview turns into an almost-immediate job offer.

Total elapsed time out of work: 56 hours.

New pay rate: considerably higher than that of the manager who fired me.

If it weren't for the need to preserve a good reference, I'd send them a copy of my first payslip with a line of cut and pasted middle fingers across all the identifying details.

:stare: What the hell sort of place do you have to work where that's the official policy?? Thank christ you got something better so quickly!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

DizzyBum posted:

:stare: What the hell sort of place do you have to work where that's the official policy?? Thank christ you got something better so quickly!

One with an incredible bastard of a director who expects her subordinates to follow her lead. Where the hell they dug her up from I'll never know; the previous management team had all quit after a notable public scandal so my theory is that the directorate wanted a hyper-disciplinarian and didn't think this through, or didn't care because she was only harming the little people.

The rest is manager after manager trying to prove what controlling arseholes they are because it gets them approval and means they're less likely to have the same methods applied to them (and even then, a huge problem getting any work done was that if you needed something approved by a senior person, you had to go through 2-3 layers of junior managers all of whom didn't want to have to disturb their Scary Superior, so would find reasons to kick it back down).

After I left I was told my severance pay was being cut, almost certainly so someone could prove to another manager how ruthless they'd been in saving money.

So yeah, well out of that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When I worked tier 2 tech support at BlackBerry, I was part of a new night shift team, and it was shortly after that Thorston Heins shithead took over and made sweeping changes that made the company actively worse. Our team frequently got new team leads, and every single time the new lead would try to shake up everything to prove they were a real leader. One of them disciplined a retired navy veteran for missing work because he was having the screws in his knee replaced, which was an injury from Afghanistan. He had permission to miss those days but nobody gave a poo poo because strong leadership

Our location got so inundated with that kind of petty theater that they laid us all off and sold the building, but good ol' Thorston got to loot the company then got awarded 13.8 million dollars as severance pay!! I'm NOT BITTER.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
The Toronto Raptors won the NBA championship!!! :toot:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Celebrated 10 years of marriage with our first trip ever to Vegas.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My salary just got switched over to hourly. I have no idea why they thought this would be good idea, but they did it. I spend about 50 hours a week in the office, so I just got a raise for doing nothing. Granted my salary is stupidly low compared to my commissions each month, but I love the fact that they're gonna start paying me for how long I'm at work each day.

I honestly don't know why people think hourly wages are somehow less prestigious than a salary.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some people still think being a plumber is a job for dumb idiots despite the plumber I know pulling in 100 bucks an hour for it. It's just office guys trying to delude themselves into thinking their job is superior somehow.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Had an appointment with my Lyme doctor, my condition has improved SO MUCH that we decided I don't need to be on antibiotics for a full year, only half a year! I finish them in 3 weeks! I'm officially in the last stages of recovery and it just feels so drat good to be alive again. It's been 3 years.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Had an appointment with my Lyme doctor, my condition has improved SO MUCH that we decided I don't need to be on antibiotics for a full year, only half a year! I finish them in 3 weeks! I'm officially in the last stages of recovery and it just feels so drat good to be alive again. It's been 3 years.

:toot:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
This past Saturday, I went to grab some lunch at Chipotle. I was standing at one of the counters when a little boy of maybe six or seven years walked over and started talking to me. It took me a while to understand what he was saying, but I finally figured out he was asking if I like wolves, then he was telling me that HE likes wolves, then he gave me a toy that I thought was Little Bo Peep, but turned out to be Elsa (he corrected me), and lol the look on his face when I told him I hadn’t seen those movies. Anyway, he kept the dinosaur for himself, but I used Elsa’s crook to fight the dino, and I won.

At first, I just wanted to be left alone to eat my lunch, but the kid was such a sweetheart that I didn’t want to let him down. After we’d been playing for a while, his grandma (I assume) came and got him. I told her we’d been playing dinosaurs, and she was like, “Oh, hmm...” then told the kid they had to go, and hustled him out the door. I laughed about it off and on for two hours. I’m sure that poor kid got the poo poo scolded out of him for striking up conversations with strange giant white men.

It was kind of a bright spot to break up the general gloom of life. I’m glad the kid was so friendly and happy, and that I spent a few minutes playing Elsa and the Dinosaur (plus some off-screen wolves) with him.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That was fantastic. Thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a 5 pack of film, Portra 400 in 120, and the cashier only charged me for one roll.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

That was fantastic. Thank you.

You're welcome!

I have two more. Three is usually an entire year's allotment for me, so this has been a banner month.

One: I finished a book. For years and years, from childhood well into adulthood, I was an insanely voracious reader. I wouldn't just read the cereal box in the morning, I would read it while I was pouring the cereal out of the box. I walked to and from school and work with my face in a book. I would zone out while reading and come to to find that I was sitting at a desk surrounded by strangers because my class had ended, and the next class had already come in. I would stand in front of the microwave reading a book for the thirty seconds it took something to warm up. I loved books. Over the last couple of decades, due to significant depression and brokebrains combined with the unbelievable distraction offered by the internet, I have read (books) less and less and less. I'll bet I wouldn't need an entire hand to count the number of books I've read cover-to-cover since the early 2000s. A couple of weeks ago, I finished The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets by Simon Singh on my iPad, which is also the first book I've ever read on an electronic device. Empowered by that, I went back and picked up Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, which I had put down half-way through at the end of last year, and I finished it over the next couple of days. Now, in just the last two or three days, I am more than half-way through Humble Pi by Matt Parker after having let it sit for weeks, and I am finding myself wanting to read it instead of having to force myself to put aside the internet and pick up the book. Reading feels refreshing and interesting, again, instead of a chore that's taking me away from message boards and Youtube videos.

I don't know if it will last, and I think it probably won't, but it feels nice for the moment. I at least have that hour or so at night to look forward to, which is more than I've had for the past ten years.

Two: I live near a town called Ferndale, and it is gay a fuuuuuuuuuck for June. Nearly every inch of downtown Ferndale is draped in rainbow flags. There is rainbow fabric strung along wrought iron fences outside of bars and restaurants. There are rainbow flags of all sizes hung in shop windows, and from poles, and over the entrances of businesses. There are pride posters and signage that was obviously specially printed for businesses with their names and logos, and not just generic off-the-shelf iconography. The windows of boutiques have lettering spelling out support for the LGBT[Q*] community. There's a building with letters in the window saying something like, "A community center for the LGBT community and their allies," which is inclusive and lets people who are in support of the community without necessarily being members of the community know they are welcome.

I moved here in mid-2017, so this is my third June in the area, and Ferndale is even gayer this year than last year. In the two years I've been here, a city already known for its LGBT population has gotten even LGBTer, and I un-ironically think that's great. The entire area is vibrant and colorful and welcoming, and that much closer to gay space communism than the rest of us.

* I'm not sure how frequently the Q is included across all the signage I see there

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, poo poo--if that's the Ferndale I'm thinking of (MI), I'm not far from it, either. :aaa: I always knew it as a funky, liberal town, but it's heartening to hear how frankly welcoming it is. I should try to stop by this month, spend some money and show my support.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, poo poo--if that's the Ferndale I'm thinking of (MI), I'm not far from it, either. :aaa: I always knew it as a funky, liberal town, but it's heartening to hear how frankly welcoming it is. I should try to stop by this month, spend some money and show my support.

It’s that Ferndale. The Nine Mile corridor through downtown is wall-to-wall rainbow flags, except for one bank which is squatting there like a big green turd monument to corporate cowardice.

There are probably other places without flags, but the bank stands out and would annoy me, except that it is so thoroughly overpowered by everything around it.

Edit: Go take some pictures. There are at least two threads they would fit in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
At the beginning of the year, my phone poo poo the bed and I had to get a new one. Practically everything transfered over from my old phone to my new one, thanks to the actual magic of the cloud (yes, the cloud is magic.). The only thing that didn't work was a random game on my phone that didn't, because I hadn't bothered to tell the game "hey, save all my poo poo", because why would I ever need to do that oh wait my phone is constantly restarting. I basically abandoned the game because I lost a bunch of stuff and the game didn't seem to have a restore-all-the-purchases-totally-paid-for-by-Google-surveys-so-I-never-had-to-pay-for-poo poo stuff I had accumulated.

On a whim today, I decided to install the game, because it was a fun time-waster and why not... well hell, it seems some stuff did get saved to the fully-confirmed-as-magic cloud. While I'm out a lot of actual progress, I'm not out of the stuff that Google Rewards paid for me!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
After the 8 years I’ve been on Twitter I finally made a dumb joke tweet that people like and I’ve gotten over 600 retweets and it’s still going.

The downside is I will probably never replicate this again.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I get to catsit! The two kitties I'm watching are the sweetest ever, and one of them loves to crawl up in my lap to sleep.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I got two rental deals today and I got to photograph a bunch of adorable baby geese.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I got two rental deals today and I got to photograph a bunch of adorable baby geese.

It's odd that I don't see them in the bird thread.

What kind of rental deals? Camera equipment? Cars?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I adopted a kitty today after losing and grieving my old girl cat in April. His name is Martin, he's seven months old, he was at the shelter's satellite location the longest, and he's from a kill shelter in South Carolina that got saved and transported up to Buffalo, NY. He immediately walked up to my husband and loved on him. I think he's pretty adorable.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I made it through a 7 hour shift without having to sit once, first time in about 2 years. My meds worked :toot:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It's odd that I don't see them in the bird thread.

What kind of rental deals? Camera equipment? Cars?

Apartments. I'm a real estate agent.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
I've been in the same government job for 9 years, and I'm feeling burnt-out (might have been a trigger for my 6 months off with a major depression?). The number of emplyees have steadily been cut down by 10% the last the3 years, and now we're only 3 people doing the job - of course the workload haven't decreased, in fact we have to do more in less time...

So this morning I came to the conclusion, that when the talks about this years cut backs are on, I'm going to volouteer to get the boot - that'll be with 6 months of salary, and then I've got 2 years to find something else to do (can get 85% of my salary back from the union every month during those 2 years).

I might be going for some training working with youth or adults in a supportive position, might be taking an education as carer for elderly people, or get an EMT certification? Lot's of options available.

So yeah, my mental state is better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I took a chance on my old bag of henna being still good after more than a year of sitting open in a press, and it absolutely was!