Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
did anyone donate their children's xmas present money to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

did anyone donate their children's xmas present money to this

The kickstarter happened near xmas time, so there's a good possibility

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I donated $10 I would have frittered away on dank nugz, I think I clearly made the wiser investment that day

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lordosis_gamer posted:

Hi everyone, this is bort.
Bort I love you man and thanks for posting. You were always a good time to collaborate with. But fuuuuck my man, what you just wrote embodies everything that has been discussed in the thread so far. The idea that the problem with this game was too much feedback and discussion and too little commitment and implementing things without question. (Or in other words, that there was too much Agile development and what we really needed was more Waterfall) Also it's a bit shocking to see bringing up who were paid when and who did and didn't work when as some sort of argument. There was insane commitment from many of those who left after working pro bono on this for years on end, with no end in sight. To prevent this from devolving I'll refrain from commenting further on details and just summarize with, if there were any doubts about the validity of what GZ and others have brought up so far, they're now gone. Most people seem to see this for what it is.

I fully understand it's not pretty for all these details to come out, but honestly it's the best thing that could have happened and I applaud GZ, laz, chef, frankie and anyone i've missed for sharing the story of this game so that we can all move on. What we need now is not some desperate last ditch effort to get Barkley 2 done. It's to accept that this project has failed, share the learnings on why this project failed so that we and others can avoid repeating them and get a better understanding of the hellswamp that is game development, take them with us, move on, and celebrate all the other loving awesome poo poo that is coming out of this team!!

So go check out and support: Katana Zero by chef, Phucker in the Gulag by GZ and Laz, Zookeeper by Drule and others, just Frankie in general because holy gently caress you lovable prog-rocking goofball your work ethic is an inspiration and I can't keep track of all your things, Nanokin by Kyle, and please fill in anything else i've missed!!!

And please keep the stories, screenshots and art coming, both wretched and wonderful! They are by far the best part of this thread, and a fantastic way to share the talent, passion, highs, lows and learnings of this magnum opus.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 5, 2019

quackgyver
Dec 4, 2014

....................game's

Bisse posted:

(Or in other words, that there was too much Agile development and what we really needed was more Waterfall)
I'm gonna be that annoying ACKCHYUALLY-guy and say that agile means getting independent, thin, vertical slices done independently of other vertical slices. Like building a completed skateboard instead of a part of an unfinished car. Looks to me like the issue was that there were too many interconnected horizontal slices rather than a lack of waterfall.

I'm just saying this for the benefit of anyone who's reading- and learning from this thread, since developing thin vertical slices is important.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah that is correct for sure, hence the various discussions about finishing and playtesting one thing before moving on to the next. Having a grand vision is fine but don't plan a grand massive ambitious 10-year project because you will get Barkley 2. Much better would be to plan a small 1-month project that you could theoretically release and then playtest it, then based on feedback plan the next small 1-month improvement / iteration / extension, repeat until you feel the game is done, until you need to hit the button and release it, or until playtesting shows your game isn't good and you should try something else.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 5, 2019

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

How can we unlock this secret ending
You can unlock this secret "friendship and glory" ending with this cheat code I found on GameFAQs:

- Buy, play, share and talk about all the above awesome projects
- Promote all the ToGsters awesome work and point out their incredible talent, or incredible derangedness
- Stop asking previous devs about Barkley 2 except in this thread

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Barkley 2 was the only thing I ever kickstarted

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

why does your game have z-height issues, what even is at different height levels

I guess the rooftops in the city if they're not stealthily just accessible via ladders that are secretly just bridges
This was brought up like 15 pages ago. The initial engine was basically Nuclear throne. Then we started making maps with stairs and elevations, but could cover the fact that different elevations didn't exist with clever map design. Eventually we made areas with hills, mountains and cliff edges and we needed to add a z-height system. It seemed necessary at the time but the right way forward to save time and effort would have been to just stick to a Nuclear Throne single plane engine and have enemies just become invulnerable when they jump (again, like the birds in Nuclear Throne (gently caress Vlambeer are real good at their stuff)) instead of having a system for their height and height based collision detection. Again, this one was completely my fault. In this case Liam actually pushed for not building this system.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 5, 2019

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FunMerrania posted:

Balthios surviving the Chaos Dunk by summoning the jello cube is canon.
So it is, so it shall be, and so it always was.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

How can we unlock this secret ending

I will never reveal the Barkley 2 secret

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lordosis_gamer posted:

GZ, I understand you are upset and understandably so. I think your current perception is inaccurate. If you seriously want to the game to thrive, please just go ahead and start working. “I quit; the game is dead; I’m the game’s only hope; I need to tell everyone how someone else ruined the game” is a strange position for the game. You have the repo. Start working. Don’t talk to bhroom. Steal it for all I care. You will never hear me say he did a great job managing this game. But please loving chill out, unhook yourself from this same ugly conversation and distorted thinking about “secret back channels” and manipulation you’ve been having since January, and let the subject die, thanks.

Calling it. The guy who took complete control of the intellectual property then used that control to browbeat everyone off of the project one by one is now worried that aforementioned control means he is solely responsible for violating Kickstarter's Terms and failing to deliver. That's why he and his brother are both concerned with speaking in the present/future tense of a game that everyone quit working on.

I'm curious how long they would have let the radio silence go on if this story didn't explode beyond this thread. I mean if you never announce the game is dead then you are never liable for failing to deliver.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

at least we'll always have Shaq Fu 2

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Sounds like a good time to release the source to the backers instead of letting it sit forever in some repository with one guy vainly attempting to finish it part time! Or at least open up the source to specific people that have an interest or experience with the tools.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The correct plural form is Darks, or Darkz, Draker.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mercury_Storm posted:

Sounds like a good time to release the source to the backers instead of letting it sit forever in some repository with one guy vainly attempting to finish it part time! Or at least open up the source to specific people that have an interest or experience with the tools.

GZ addresses this here:

Hiratio posted:

There's a lot of talk of salvaging Barkley 2, making it open source, releasing a build, and so on. I fought extremely hard to try and make this game happen and it did not work.
I'm being extremely kind when I talk about him and even he knows that, the reason he has no rebuttal. You cannot salvage this game without him dissolving all of his rights of the contracted work done, which by my estimate is about 35% of the game. I don't know what contract Chef signed, it's possible Liam may have exclusive game rights to the music he made during his time. In some unlikely event that Liam gives up that, then you need all of the team members to consent to their work being released for free. There were about 20 people who worked on this game at some point and it would need to be determined if they have a stake from looking at contracts, etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Calling it. The guy who took complete control of the intellectual property then used that control to browbeat everyone off of the project one by one is now worried that aforementioned control means he is solely responsible for violating Kickstarter's Terms and failing to deliver. That's why he and his brother are both concerned with speaking in the present/future tense of a game that everyone quit working on.

I'm curious how long they would have let the radio silence go on if this story didn't explode beyond this thread. I mean if you never announce the game is dead then you are never liable for failing to deliver.

yeah it's this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just poo poo out a minimal viable product with next to zero content that technically ticks boxes for project delivery using RPG maker and claim "more content soon" for all the missing features then silently wrap up shop after a month.

lordosis_gamer
Jun 4, 2019

Mercury_Storm posted:

I agree. I was bummed when the thing with GZ fell through, because while I am a million years detached from the game it was definitely a way to move it forward although unlikely to completion. I would like anyone who feels like they have a stake in the project (financial, professional, emotional, or otherwise) to be able to reach a mutually satisfying decision about the way to best end the project. Not sure how or when that process will go about. I think releasing the source is the best option. I think it is more realistic than working on any kind of demo or otherwise intentional product (alongside source?) but if ex-team are on the same page and in high spirits and relatively peaceful communication that would be great to see

Bisse i love you too and it’s incredible that I have known you and the rest of the gw reminiscers for roughly half my life now. I sincerely didn’t mean to undervalue the pro bono time spent on this project. I think we will have disagreements about project particulars due to our different roles, let alone everything else. I agree that looking towards other people’s projects is a great thing to do. I will certainly not develop another game outside my head but hearing for example that cboy is working and getting paid is huge and very exciting

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bisse posted:

just Frankie in general because holy gently caress you lovable prog-rocking goofball your work ethic is an inspiration and I can't keep track of all your things
Frankie's got real good taste in prog rock, literally the first time I tuned in to his Twitch stream he was playing VDGG, I second this

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I respect your bro quite a bit for being the only dude seemingly sticking around trying to make the game I wanted so bad

BUT it's dead and he shouldn't waste any more of his life on it and he CERTAINLY shouldn't be pretending it could still be finished to backers more or less as we speak.

Dump it on github or whatever, maybe some dedicated freaks will salvage some of the assets into something.
From the sounds of things the game as imagined is basically fundamentally unworkable, it would have to be basically totally restarted with a simpler brief and nobody should expect that.

But there's probably funny poo poo and good art people could enjoy sifting through the wreckage.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

lordosis_gamer posted:

I agree. I was bummed when the thing with GZ fell through, because while I am a million years detached from the game it was definitely a way to move it forward although unlikely to completion. I would like anyone who feels like they have a stake in the project (financial, professional, emotional, or otherwise) to be able to reach a mutually satisfying decision about the way to best end the project. Not sure how or when that process will go about. I think releasing the source is the best option. I think it is more realistic than working on any kind of demo or otherwise intentional product (alongside source?) but if ex-team are on the same page and in high spirits and relatively peaceful communication that would be great to see

Bisse i love you too and it’s incredible that I have known you and the rest of the gw reminiscers for roughly half my life now. I sincerely didn’t mean to undervalue the pro bono time spent on this project. I think we will have disagreements about project particulars due to our different roles, let alone everything else. I agree that looking towards other people’s projects is a great thing to do. I will certainly not develop another game outside my head but hearing for example that cboy is working and getting paid is huge and very exciting

Yeah, it must be tough given the very personal nature of all these accounts, disputes, and relationships involved. I was overly harsh on your bro a bit up thread based on one account but it's basically everyone's fault, it sounds like. Total collapse of the team for many reasons. I'd be super excited to see your notebook scans, because all the assets and crazy ideas that have been revealed have been fascinating. The 'game' as it is has been a beautiful hot mess to have uncovered for us.

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

lordosis_gamer posted:

I would rather not get into this entire subject, so I’ll suggest we cool it with the anecdotes. There are a thousand unfinished things in the game, from people who were getting paid and people who were not. This thread is enjoyable and I think for everyone’s sake, it should not be hashed out. There’s postmortems and then there’s finger pointing. I already told you what my problems were, let’s not hear anybody else’s, thanks!

----

GZ, I understand you are upset and understandably so. I think your current perception is inaccurate. If you seriously want to the game to thrive, please just go ahead and start working. “I quit; the game is dead; I’m the game’s only hope; I need to tell everyone how someone else ruined the game” is a strange position for the game. You have the repo. Start working. Don’t talk to bhroom. Steal it for all I care. You will never hear me say he did a great job managing this game. But please loving chill out, unhook yourself from this same ugly conversation and distorted thinking about “secret back channels” and manipulation you’ve been having since January, and let the subject die, thanks.

this is a loving insane post dude. yeah let's not go ahead and start pointing fingers about the train-wreck that this has turned out to be, just start working on the game for free again instead and ignore whatever problems has plagued the project for literal years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just gimme goddamn bball tactics.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Dump it on github or whatever, maybe some dedicated freaks will salvage some of the assets into something.

this!!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
There’s a certain poetry to the self-described “Ideas guy” not realizing how bad of an idea that pity party he posted was. Dude, we know you are the cancer that caused this project to fail, so GTFO with your manipulative bullshit.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deadguy2322 posted:

There’s a certain poetry to the self-described “Ideas guy” not realizing how bad of an idea that pity party he posted was. Dude, we know you are the cancer that caused this project to fail, so GTFO with your manipulative bullshit.

i mean it is awfully nice of him to show up and prove without a shadow of a doubt that he's as much of a dumb rear end in a top hat as he's being painted

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sword_man.gif posted:

i mean it is awfully nice of him to show up and prove without a shadow of a doubt that he's as much of a dumb rear end in a top hat as he's being painted

maybe our response here will result in a little self reflection and, maybe, personal improvement :unsmith:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

maybe our response here will result in a little self reflection and, maybe, personal improvement :unsmith:

considering he thought it was a good idea to respond to everybody who actually worked on the game with "uhhh can you just shut up and keep working for free" i sincerely doubt it

publicly respond, even

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endorph posted:

i guess in the end barkley 2 really was funnier than barkley 1

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He got more responsibility than he should have, grown rear end men fail at managing software projects more often than they succeed. Its easy to see how all this happened and it's rare to actually get the full story behind this sort of thing.

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

somehow i doubt it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

~~The Undying Screaming Baby~~

In 2014 we started working more on gun effects and with not much actual sounds yet we used placeholders for things like impact sounds, gun firing, effects triggering, etc.

A good place holder sound is, perhaps, a short click or beep.

This being ToG, though, someone who shall not be named added as a test sound a 6 second long, grating, ear-ripping sound of a baby screaming at the top of its lungs.

We were just kind of like, ok sure, whatever makes you smile mate, I’ll just turn off my sound then. It was funny for the first month and then someone finally had one too many ear-rippers and wanted to remove it.

At this point the sound was literally everywhere. Enemies, guns, effects, all screamed like starving infants. Combat sounded like a maternity ward. Since it was everywhere, you couldn’t just delete the sound, but you could replace it with something else, so we did. The end.

Or not, because a few days later, the screaming baby was suddenly back in the game full-force. I’m not sure how. Perhaps, merging git branches was really tricky with a GM:S project and it was one of many things that kept surviving merges. Or, someone was resurrecting it as a practical joke. We had to delete it several times.

A bit later I wrapped up a new sound system. When we merged this, the screaming baby came back from the grave, again! Now, random NPCs and objects cried in baby rage, due to some system issue. When looking for the actual sound in the game project, I literally could not find it! Was the project or some sound file corrupted? Was the baby scream hiding in a file named something else!?

Other issues were more important, so this undying specter stuck around, and we kind of just accepted it and removed it as we found it. Eventually we got a convention demo together and by then the sound seemed to be gone for good.

Some time later, most B2 sounds had random pitch changes when played, so effects would sound slightly different every time they were played, making rapid fire guns much more diverse and tolerable considering each bullet played the firing sound once. After a big combat merge, I went in to test and improve chain-gun sounds and put on my headphones with volume cranked way up. I crafted the chain-gun, revved it up, aimed at the test dummy, and unleashed a storm of bullets. But instead of the rapid drumming sound of a chain gun firing, the gates of hell opened upon a diverse choir of hell-spawn toddlers screaming in demonic rage.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Boner Machine posted:

this is a loving insane post dude. yeah let's not go ahead and start pointing fingers about the train-wreck that this has turned out to be, just start working on the game for free again instead and ignore whatever problems has plagued the project for literal years.

If their brother would release control of the project to GZ then it would be a different story, but to outright tell the guy to finish the game for free (and more than likely face a lawsuit) takes a lot of balls.

I think I would have been happier if the kickstarter money went less towards contracted work and more towards the developers being able to work on the game full-time comfortably. Hearing that cboy went 10,000 in the hole for this failure of a game really irks me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bisse posted:

At this point the sound was literally everywhere. Enemies, guns, effects, all screamed like starving infants. Combat sounded like a maternity ward

i can't stop laughing.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Bisse posted:

~~The Undying Screaming Baby~~

Please keep these stories coming if you have them. If nothing else this project will be a good source of documentation for the public to read and hopefully learn from your mistakes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bisse posted:

At this point the sound was literally everywhere. Enemies, guns, effects, all screamed like starving infants. Combat sounded like a maternity ward.

Or D&D. drat, that must have been annoying

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

If their brother would release control of the project to GZ then it would be a different story, but to outright tell the guy to finish the game for free (and more than likely face a lawsuit) takes a lot of balls.

I think I would have been happier if the kickstarter money went less towards contracted work and more towards the developers being able to work on the game full-time comfortably. Hearing that cboy went 10,000 in the hole for this failure of a game really irks me.
at this point i think just putting it up on github or something and leaving it at that for anyone to check out would be the best option. from the stories in the thread i wouldn't be surprised to hear that anyone involved is completely burned out on continuing the project, regardless of who is in control.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Ciaphas posted:

I’m guessing you had a hard time typing that with a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Deadguy2322 posted:

I’m guessing you had a hard time typing that with a straight face.

less jocularly and more wishing it were true, tbh, but yeah, fair cop

it's genuinely depressing how many people don't even reach the "no, it's the children who are wrong" stage of self reflection because they never even stop to think they could be wrong in the first place