Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

prepuce repurposed posted:

I don't think I've ever had chickies. Will try some in the instant pot. Is it like a rice substitute or what

My instant pot handbook said something about chickies asploding when pressure cooked :confused:

bruh, you've eaten hummus. chickpeas are garbanzo beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

bruh, you've eaten hummus. chickpeas are garbanzo beans.

also if you haven't had falafel you haven't lived

ty nesamdoom!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
oh hummus yeah for sure it's good

falafel not so much. I've never encountered it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

You're dead

Like Bela Lugosi

Come to stl chorizo

Manifisto

I refuse to believe there is not a falafel shop somewhere near you, like you could be in antarctica or down in the marianas trench and there would be a falafel stand nearby

and try it you should, for god's sake get it in a pita with veggies and white sauce (usually yogurt+tahini+garlic+flavorings) and if you are a spicy food person some of the spicy sauce as well

but just in case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB6bxhZYF0

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

I refuse to believe there is not a falafel shop somewhere near you, like you could be in antarctica or down in the marianas trench and there would be a falafel stand nearby

and try it you should, for god's sake get it in a pita with veggies and white sauce (usually yogurt+tahini+garlic+flavorings) and if you are a spicy food person some of the spicy sauce as well

but just in case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB6bxhZYF0

Yes this but also

St Louis has an entire section of town where you can walk and gorge yourself on falafel and shish tawuk and various kebab.

Areola Grande

sounds dope

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Strawberries!

Picked em myself! That means it's time for strawberry jam. This is my third year making strawberry jam. The first year I used no pectin at all and it was basically just sauce. That was fine. The second year I used too much pectin and it was hard as a rock. That was not fine.

Anyways time to get them ready for the pot.

These babies practically glowed they were so red. At this point they are a little over 24 hours from having been picked.

Mash em up. With the amount of strawberries I had this got me about 8 cups of strawberry mash.

I'm not following anything too closely as recipes go. I figure on a half cup sugar to full cup strawberry mash ratio and go with that. Half cup of lemon juice. 4 teaspoons of pectin.

Get it boiling! It's not in this picture but some of the pectin I added in the beginning clumped up almost immediately. I'm not good at pectin. I skim most of it out and add some later to compensate. Let it bubble and simmer for a while. Some people like to let it simmer for a good long while but I don't like to have the strawberries overly cooked lest the fresh from the field effect gets muddied. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I don't care.

At this point for various reasons I forget to take pictures of the next steps. I go full mason jar canning with the boiling water and the jars and the funnels and the jar clamps. It's pretty neat. You can't see any of it.

And here is the result!

It's thinner than store bought jam for sure but absolutely usable and delicious.

Manifisto

very very nice

I assume those bad boys came from somewhere on long island?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

New Jersey

poverty goat

I'm jealous. My grandmother used to make strawberry preserves, no pectin, just strawberries and sugar cooked down just so, from local strawberries but now it's such a shitshow, the local season gets earlier and shorter every year, and they're expensive as hell now even if you pick them yourself. If I'm going to go to all that trouble and expense I'm probably going to do something with them fresh

Peach preserves is still on the menu tho come August

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i have 50 pounds of peaches headed from georgia to arrive on the 13th for slicing and freezing/drying/canning and i'm gonna make the absolute gently caress out of peach rosemary preserves this time

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

i have 50 pounds of peaches headed from georgia to arrive on the 13th for slicing and freezing/drying/canning and i'm gonna make the absolute gently caress out of peach rosemary preserves this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ&t=111s

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

fresh farms......is good, imo

I also got in on 40 pound of cherries help me

Finger Prince

I made tamales! I was going to give up on them because I didn't think I'd be able to get the right filling, then on a whim I bought a can of Goya hominy. Boiled that and mashed it with some shallot and garlic (boiled with the hominy, I'd probably just mince and add it fresh while mashing next time), butter, and seasoning, etc., a chunk of Oaxaca cheese in the middle, wrapped in corn husk and steamed. They came out perfect, I was really surprised! The small can of hominy was enough for 4 tamales. It was way easier than some of the slave over a hot stove all day with an oil drum full of masa and a bucket of whipped lard type recipes I'd seen. I didn't want to make a thousand of them!
Also omg how tasty is hominy! Where have you been all my life!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 5, 2019

Areola Grande

:jebstare: MAIL ORDER FROZEN GOON TAMELES

Areola Grande

:ducksiren: :pray: :ducksiren:

poverty goat

Dont miss out on your sausage swag

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

I made tamales! I was going to give up on them because I didn't think I'd be able to get the right filling, then on a whim I bought a can of Goya hominy. Boiled that and mashed it with some shallot and garlic (boiled with the hominy, I'd probably just mince and add it fresh while mashing next time), butter, and seasoning, etc., a chunk of Oaxaca cheese in the middle, wrapped in corn husk and steamed. They came out perfect, I was really surprised! The small can of hominy was enough for 4 tamales. It was way easier than some of the slave over a hot stove all day with an oil drum full of masa and a bucket of whipped lard type recipes I'd seen. I didn't want to make a thousand of them!
Also omg how tasty is hominy! Where have you been all my life!

nice! how long did you boil the hominy? what seasonings? how long did you need to steam 'em?

Finger Prince

Manifisto posted:

nice! how long did you boil the hominy? what seasonings? how long did you need to steam 'em?

I boiled it for about 10 minutes. I did two separate batches (half a can at a time), because I was experimenting. The first batch i just used salt, garlic powder, and a bit of Ecuador spice mix from a local spice shop (not sure what's in it). The second batch was the same except I added more of the Ecuador spice mix, about a tsp of this Peruvian pepper paste I have, and some diced up roast poblano. I steamed them for about an hour and a half (managed to boil the pot dry in the process), but they were probably good to go earlier. They were both really good, but the first let a lot more of the corn flavour come through, and was much more like the kind I had in Peru. I think I liked them better because the spicier ones covered the corn flavour up more.

Please don't be grossed out by the partly eaten ceviche! Sorry!

E: I used roughly a tbsp of butter per batch, so 2 tbsp for a full can.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 5, 2019

Manifisto

thanks! yeah 1.5hr does sound like a pretty long steaming period, I wonder how much shorter one can go.

no need to apologize for the ceviche, also lookin' good . . .

Robot Made of Meat

poverty goat posted:

Dont miss out on your sausage swag

Please don't buy this brand. I can't say why in BYOB.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Please don't buy this brand. I can't say why in BYOB.

This and it's because they're bad people and that's all we can say.

Robot Made of Meat

hamjobs posted:

This and it's because they're bad people and that's all we can say.

:hfive:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

:glomp:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

HOT OIL

I followed this recipe that was linked above pretty much to the letter except I ground my own damned pepper flakes thank you very much.

And here are the peppers I used to do so.

I twisted the tops off the peppers before putting them in the grinder. Did it make a difference? I have no idea!

Anyway I ground them all up and threw em in the pyrex with some salt. On to the oil.

They's all the stuff. I held it pretty consistently at 275F for a half hour or so. Smelled nice!

They darkened but did not burn. I poured the oil into the pyrex mixed it all up and transferred the contents to a jar.

Hot Chili Oil!

It's delicious and makes my lips tingle!

joke_explainer

:captainpop:
Looks awesome! I got to do that someday.

I made buffalo wings for the first time the other day.

I did the sous vide a bag of them and let it dry, then just fry them for three minutes, using my deep fryer so it was surprisingly low stress.

They were completely perfect. Tasted better than the best wings I’ve had at any wing joint imo.

Hash I made a few weeks ago:

poverty goat

I made the serious eats sous-vide chicken salad and I think I prefer it with dry grocery store rotisserie chicken breasts like mom used to make. Maybe I'd like it a few degrees warmer but the texture is not what I'm looking for apparently (because I used thighs maybe?)

In doing so I finally got around to trying their stick blender mayo and wow that was actually really fast and easy

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 9, 2019

poverty goat

drat i am gonna have to make some of these green noodles

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

I made the serious eats sous-vide chicken salad and I think I prefer it with dry grocery store rotisserie chicken breasts like mom used to make. Maybe I'd like it a few degrees warmer but the texture is not what I'm looking for apparently (because I used thighs maybe?)

In doing so I finally got around to trying their stick blender mayo and wow that was actually really fast and easy

Yeah, thighs need an internal temperature of 165-175 to be properly cooked. That recipe is explicitly for chicken
breasts, which need to be brought to 155. The FDA recommendations are based on what temperature will immediately give you a 99.99999% reduction in pathogens, but sous vide allows you to cook at a lower temperature for a longer duration, giving the same effect for food safety.

This is desirable in chicken breasts which are prone to drying out. Not desirable in thighs, which are forgiving to higher temps and need them to break that connective tissue down.

poverty goat

Yeah that info was in my head somewhere but it did not volunteer itself in the moment

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

alnilam

Mixed greens and poached eggs from my back yard, sdough breb i made, v good brek

ty manifisto

alnilam

I wrote that post this morning and my phone died but the draft was still saved hallelujah

ty manifisto

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Nice. Never done a proper poached egg before. I always think, hey I should poach an egg but then I decide gently caress boiling water for just that and oil baste it instead for a nice firm white with crispy bits and a runny yolk.

alnilam

I usually feel the same way the only exception is when i have too many lettuces out back and decide to do the Breakfast Salad. Feels too weird to put a fried egg on lettuce. idk why poached feels better in that context but it does.

Resting Lich Face

I wish I could enjoy lettuce for teh healthys but I just can't.

alnilam

Have you tried the good poo poo

alnilam

Lettuce greens are one of the easiest low commitment things to grow, get a seed mix called "mesclun mix" and sprinkle it on somw fukken dirt and that's about all it takes, eat them as babies and let their younger brethren bathe in the light left by those who came before them before they meet a similar fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face

Like arugula, butter lettuce, etc? Yeah. Butter lettuce is... sorta ok but no thanks to that I'll just have some spinach instead.