Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is the best thing hbo ever shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSvrGe_2Q4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I never watched dexter or sopranos or other shows with notorious endings. How does this awful poo poo compare

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The pinnacle of Rome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llquJck7D-0

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
lmao how long has the thread title been disappointy end, i just noticed it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fallows posted:

lmao how long has the thread title been disappointy end, i just noticed it

Since season 8 ep 2

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
S1E6. Watch Ned Stark start a loving war.

The dumbass gets played by Littlefinger, covers for his wife at the worst possible moment, and then takes things to a ridiculous level by basically declaring war on Tywin, taking the Clegane bait.

Meanwhile Tyrion explains economics to a dumbass jailer and Bronn makes a fool out of Ser Vardys whole Lysa Tully acts like Vardys has totally got things in the bag. Both Bronn and Vardys look at her like "is this hitch loving serious?" Bronn gave Vardys every chance to surrender and Lysa kept saying "nah you're good keep going" and everyone is losing their minds. Bunch of pigeons in a roost.

Good episode. I forgot about the horse heart eating but but that was cool and nobody gives a poo poo about Viserys. Golden heads are the downfall of people this ep

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 5, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfnFkTrkE-U

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I never watched dexter or sopranos or other shows with notorious endings. How does this awful poo poo compare

The Sopranos is way better and Dexter is way way worse

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

God drat, Rome owned.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

S1E6. Watch Ned Stark start a loving war.

The dumbass gets played by Littlefinger, covers for his wife at the worst possible moment, and then takes things to a ridiculous level by basically declaring war on Tywin, taking the Clegane bait.

He.. dosn't actually make a mistake there. As the hand he speaks with the authority of the king and sends out Dondarion and his men under the royal banner, which makes any resistance against them treason. Had Robert lived, Tywin's choice would've been between submission and civil war. And let's face it - in such a scenario most of his neighbors would gladly gang up on the pompous rear end in a top hat.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All of this. All this characterisation, plot, intrigue and fantastic choreography... all exactly on par with season 8 according to broke brain idiots.

Well, looks like the thread is on its way to take the black. I look forward to when a Danish bird with amazing tits resurrects it for the prequels so we can all get together once more and long for giants to step on people.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Sopranos ending was frustrating, but people acting like they don't know what happened at the end makes me laugh

Tony runs away and joins the circus, wtf do you think happened

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I went back to watch the first couple episodes of the show, and on the one hand there competent plotting and it's weirdly entertaining to see Arya & Bran be little shits with some kind of personality, not to mention Jaime looking like a post-'90s surfer dude.

But on the other hand, the Dothraki plot is a complete shitshow in terms of representing race and sexuality, to the point where I can't believe I kept watching. I certainly remember now what drove me away from the books, and it's kinda fun in retrospect to think back to powering through that stuff on the show in the hopes of a strong plot development/ending outweighing early problems :downsgun:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What's bad about the dothrakis?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RedSnapper posted:

He.. dosn't actually make a mistake there. As the hand he speaks with the authority of the king and sends out Dondarion and his men under the royal banner, which makes any resistance against them treason. Had Robert lived, Tywin's choice would've been between submission and civil war. And let's face it - in such a scenario most of his neighbors would gladly gang up on the pompous rear end in a top hat.

Tywin sent Clegane out specifically to antagonize Ned into doing something rash, such as offering an ultimatum. Tywin was already gearing up for war the moment he heard that Tyrion had been captured, and Ned's stubborn defense of Cat's idiotic arrest attempt pretty much stopped any chance as de escalating the situation.
Ned took the bait by sending out Berric and Thoros because Littlefinger all but told him to as he "counselled" Ned, but then Ned declared the ultimatum against Tywin. The look on Littoefinger's face is "well I wasn't expecting THAT but hey, it just means I have to move a bit quicker to secure my power now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

What's bad about the dothrakis?

It's the presentation, at this point they're just the generic darker-skinned wild people who are scary because all they want to do is gently caress and kill each other for fun. Seen through the central character of the tiny white girl (whose mission now is to learn to please her rapist husband).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm just reading what the original pilot episode was about and D&D really love their rape scenes. Even the infamous Jaime/Cersei scene in S4 looked to be originally taken from the pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the presentation, at this point they're just the generic darker-skinned wild people who are scary because all they want to do is gently caress and kill each other for fun. Seen through the central character of the tiny white girl (whose mission now is to learn to please her rapist husband).

Well that was eventually blamed on Viserys when he hired a whore to teach Dany how to ride Drogo. Not saying it absolves Clarke's terrible acting but it did have the side effect of getting rid of the creepy rape overtones since the whore also helped Dany gain confidence and meet Drogo on her own terms instead of as a slave.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that was eventually blamed on Viserys when he hired a whore to teach Dany how to ride Drogo. Not saying it absolves Clarke's terrible acting but it did have the side effect of getting rid of the creepy rape overtones since the whore also helped Dany gain confidence and meet Drogo on her own terms instead of as a slave.

Like I said, a lot of it was the presentation, it still feels problematic to me regardless of later plot developments.
The hired lady just compounds that, GRRM's obsession with inserting references to creepy sex stuff was the final straw for me with the books, and something the show toned down. But it's right up front here with her blithely narrating her story of being sold to a brothel as a child before moving on to the sex training :yikes:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tywin sent Clegane out specifically to antagonize Ned into doing something rash, such as offering an ultimatum. Tywin was already gearing up for war the moment he heard that Tyrion had been captured, and Ned's stubborn defense of Cat's idiotic arrest attempt pretty much stopped any chance as de escalating the situation.
Ned took the bait by sending out Berric and Thoros because Littlefinger all but told him to as he "counselled" Ned, but then Ned declared the ultimatum against Tywin. The look on Littoefinger's face is "well I wasn't expecting THAT but hey, it just means I have to move a bit quicker to secure my power now.

littlefinger was actually trying to protect ned here i think, he advocated for sending loras as well didnt he?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Captain Hygiene posted:

Like I said, a lot of it was the presentation, it still feels problematic to me regardless of later plot developments.
The hired lady just compounds that, GRRM's obsession with inserting references to creepy sex stuff was the final straw for me with the books, and something the show toned down. But it's right up front here with her blithely narrating her story of being sold to a brothel as a child before moving on to the sex training :yikes:

I never took all the creepy stuff he put in as being a celebrated thing but rather showing how depraved and horrendous some characters could be

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I never took all the creepy stuff he put in as being a celebrated thing but rather showing how depraved and horrendous some characters could be

Oh, it's not celebrated, it's just the number of times stuff like that comes up. Like, did you ever consider not constantly going back to that particular well while making up your fantasy world? I can believe it's a lovely place full of bad people even without all that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, it's not celebrated, it's just the number of times stuff like that comes up. Like, did you ever consider not constantly going back to that particular well while making up your fantasy world? I can believe it's a lovely place full of bad people even without all that.

I mean, it's as lovely as the violence and the forced gender roles. It goes hand in hand with everything else that's awful and stands to exist as it makes a comparison to the baked in history of when people were more chivalric in Westeros and how badly that's degraded since Robert became king.

It would be like removing all the rape from a handmaid's tale or a girl with a dragon tattoo. It's awful but it's there precisely because of how awful it is.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

there is only one khaleesi

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Captain Hygiene posted:

But on the other hand, the Dothraki plot is a complete shitshow in terms of representing race and sexuality, to the point where I can't believe I kept watching. I certainly remember now what drove me away from the books

Captain Hygiene posted:

Seen through the central character of the tiny white girl (whose mission now is to learn to please her rapist husband).
In the books Drogo doesn't rape Dany. He seduces her and asks for permission.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Splinter posted:

Yeah she's clearly into Drogo in a way I found non-creepy at all. If you ignore that she's like fifteen. She's roughly the same age as Robb Stark.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splinter posted:

Goddammit showrunners

Ralph Crammed In posted:

If you ignore that she's like fifteen.

Goddammit GRRM

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Actually the first season of The Last Kingdom is only so-so but I do think it picks up after that

Honestly I think Season 1 is the strongest. Season 2 has a really jarring time jump midway through where Uthred does some dumb antagonizing with Alfred for no reason and the whole Aethlflaed and Erik plot is dumb as hell. I just started season 3 though so maybe it'll be better. And yeah Uthred is hot as hell, ngl

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Dany figures out that she pregnant on her 13th nameday

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Splinter posted:

Can a 12-year-old, sold to a band of barbarians horselords whose language she doesn't speak, really give consent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRhhewFqyw

It's less straight up rape than the show but...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I don't think Dany really had the option to be like "nope I'm out".

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can the last post of this thread be that gif of the red woman dressed as a maid or whatever? cheers and thx

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ElGroucho posted:

The Sopranos ending was frustrating, but people acting like they don't know what happened at the end makes me laugh

Tony runs away and joins the circus, wtf do you think happened

he goes to live on a farm in wyoming with all the other mafiosos :)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I don't think Dany really had the option to be like "nope I'm out".

Nah she didn't, but very few women ever got that option on their wedding day throughout most of history. The best that they could hope for was that their husband was sensitive to their discomfort and tried to alleviate it. When Tyrion outright agrees to not gently caress Sansa ever, he's being saintlike by medieval standards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah she didn't, but very few women ever got that option on their wedding day throughout most of history. The best that they could hope for was that their husband was sensitive to their discomfort and tried to alleviate it. When Tyrion outright agrees to not gently caress Sansa ever, he's being saintlike by medieval standards.

I don't think that's true. There's this broad representation that throughout history women were treated universally like chattel, and most historians now are arguing that while that occasionally happened, and noble daughters, in particular, were often highly pressured to marry to secure alliance, the vast majority of peasants got married because they wanted to (often later, in the mid-later twenties). Certainly, in many instances, women had reduced property rights and there was no law against marital rape, but the experiences of most women throughout history do not equate to the often depicted France/Brittain noble daughters being used to secure alliances.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's true. There's this broad representation that throughout history women were treated universally like chattel, and most historians now are arguing that while that occasionally happened, and noble daughters, in particular, were often highly pressured to marry to secure alliance, the vast majority of peasants got married because they wanted to (often later, in the mid-later twenties). Certainly, in many instances, women had reduced property rights and there was no law against marital rape, but the experiences of most women throughout history do not equate to the often depicted France/Brittain noble daughters being used to secure alliances.

This is really interesting. Got any links?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Dregs posted:

This is really interesting. Got any links?

http://www.medievalists.net/2019/02/medieval-marriage-ruth-mazo-karras/

It's a link to a podcast that could get you started. There are books, and meievalists.net is a good site that's doing good work debunking a lot of the myths about the middle ages, especially vis a vis gender, sexuality, and race.