Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
These are not subtle moments as such (and I checked but could not find a little things you like about films thread), but I have a tremendous love of film taglines. I especially love clever wordplay or references that make me grin.

Some examples that have stuck in my mind for a while:

AvP1: Whoever wins, We lose.
Fast & Furious: New model. Original parts.
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: History is about to be rewritten by two dudes who can't spell.
AvP2: In space no one can hear you scream. On Earth, it doesn't matter.
Avengers: Some assembly required.
Full Metal Jacket: Vietnam can kill me, but it can't make me care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Predator 2: He’s coming to town with a few days to kill

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Day of the Dolphin: Unwittingly, he trained a dolphin to kill the President of the United States.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I love the Critters movies and I love their dumb joke taglines.

Critters 3: You are what they eat
Critters 4: In space, they love to hear you scream!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

oldpainless posted:

Predator 2: He’s coming to town with a few days to kill

More like olddutchless

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Booty Call: Some guys will do anything for a little somethin', somethin'.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

a little somethin', somethin'.

I've never seen that written out before and am amazed by how it absolutely does not work on any level despite being just the same word, twice

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
House 2 will always have the best tagline/subtitle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

House 2 will always have the best tagline/subtitle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093220/mediaviewer/rm121793024

I assume you mean 'The Second Story', but I'm going to choose to believe you meant 'It's getting weirder!' because you failed to provide a link, or mention it, and that's dumb :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also used the taglines Frightening Strikes Twice! and Doom with a View.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flint_Paper posted:

More like olddutchless

How the gently caress did you mess up "More like oldblainless"?

E: I'm fairly sure that all three Maniac Cop movies used the tagline "You have the right to remain silent... forever!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

How the gently caress did you mess up "More like oldblainless"?

Flint_Paper posted:

More like olddutchless

I hope you both know that "old painless" is literally an og Predator reference.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BioEnchanted posted:

John Wick 2 was surprisingly funny, like the moments where John and Cassian are falling together down a comically long set of stairs, and just keep tossing each other further down, or when they smash right into the Continental and the fight is forced to end. Generally, all the moments of wick and someone who was previously trying to kill him were pretty funny.

My fav Jw2 moment was where he gets up on stage and shoots a guy in the face and the entire crowd just starts cheering madly

I like to think it’s an indictment of the viewer but who knows, maybe they just like watching dudes get capped

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

My fav Jw2 moment was where he gets up on stage and shoots a guy in the face and the entire crowd just starts cheering madly

I like to think it’s an indictment of the viewer but who knows, maybe they just like watching dudes get capped

The John Wick universe is probably closer to Robocop’s reality than our own. So ultra violent that people don’t think twice about seeing someone murdered in the street and where cops know who Baba Yaga is and steer clear of him and whatever he’s in the process of massacring.

We’ve seen one cop in 3 movies and he knew exactly what Wick was up to.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Yeah I always thought the crowd was us, the viewers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought that dude was just a dick.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

how did you tools forget the all time winner
Dr. Giggles - The Doctor is Out...of His Mind!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Requiem for a Dream: Some guys will do anything for a little somethin', somethin'

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Requiem for a Dream: Some guys will do anything for a little somethin', somethin'

Requiem for a Dream: I know it's pretty big, but I didn't take it out for air.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

areyoucontagious posted:

I was grinning a childlike grin of joy and delight during the throwing knife fight in JW3 so I probably deserve as much indictment as they're prepared to provide

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I remember the tagline of this movie from when I was a kid and my parents watched it, but I could never remember the name. Thanks for reminding me!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

areyoucontagious posted:

It could also be like in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and the audience thought it was part of the show.

It's been a while since I watched it so I don't remember the scene though.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Beachcomber posted:

piss rear end and butts. On all counts.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cat Hatter posted:

It could also be like in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and the audience thought it was part of the show.

It's been a while since I watched it so I don't remember the scene though.

Pretty much happens at the end of Galaxy Quest, too, including shooting the bad guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The John Wick universe is probably closer to Robocop’s reality than our own. So ultra violent that people don’t think twice about seeing someone murdered in the street and where cops know who Baba Yaga is and steer clear of him and whatever he’s in the process of massacring.

We’ve seen one cop in 3 movies and he knew exactly what Wick was up to.

It's white collar (and usually white people) crime, the cops steer way the gently caress clear when suspects are not known but guaranteed to be shooting back accurately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Because that wasn't a tagline I ever saw for it. The tagline on every poster and advert I saw was "If you're from Moorehigh and you get sick, Fall on your knees and pray you die quick". I remember this only because it was so loving lame.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I remembered another:
Tales from the Crypt - Demon Knight: Ready for your deadtime story?

:D

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You're all wrong.

Monkey Shines: Once, there was a Man whose prison was a chair. The Man had a Monkey; they made the strangest pair. The Man was a captive; the Monkey held the key. No matter how he strained, the Man couldn't flee. Locked in his dungeon, terrified and frail; the Monkey wielding power, keeping him in jail. The Man tried to keep the Monkey from his brain, but every move he made became the Monkey's gain. The Monkey ruled the Man; it climbed inside his head. And now, as fate would have it, one of them is dead.

This was actually on the loving poster.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Watching Spider-Man 2

I like how he could have his mask off in an NYC train and not get made. In 2004 fewer people just had a high resolution camera on them and there was no facial recognition or anything. He could just be some kid and that’s it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beachcomber posted:

WHAT?!?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

skooma512 posted:

Watching Spider-Man 2

I like how he could have his mask off in an NYC train and not get made. In 2004 fewer people just had a high resolution camera on them and there was no facial recognition or anything. He could just be some kid and that’s it.

It's similar to a part in the Justice League cartoon when Lex Luthor and The Flash swap bodies. Lex considers the silver lining to be that at least he gets to learn The Flash's real identity, only to take off the mask and go "...I have no idea who this is." Because of course he doesn't, how would Lex be able to recognize a random detective from Central City?

It's a conceit that sadly doesn't really work in the modern day. With modern cameras, social media and face recognition you need a reason for someone to not be identifiable (and most of those reasons are inherently suspicious), it's flipped from how it was.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

More like oldclueless

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

It's similar to a part in the Justice League cartoon when Lex Luthor and The Flash swap bodies. Lex considers the silver lining to be that at least he gets to learn The Flash's real identity, only to take off the mask and go "...I have no idea who this is." Because of course he doesn't, how would Lex be able to recognize a random detective from Central City?

It's a conceit that sadly doesn't really work in the modern day. With modern cameras, social media and face recognition you need a reason for someone to not be identifiable (and most of those reasons are inherently suspicious), it's flipped from how it was.

A recent DuckTales had an ep about how Gizmoduck keeps a growing list of people who know his secret identity basically because it's nearly impossible to keep it and it's only a matter of time til it's public.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A recent DuckTales had an ep about how Gizmoduck keeps a growing list of people who know his secret identity basically because it's nearly impossible to keep it and it's only a matter of time til it's public.

His secret identity is Lin-Manuel Miranda.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
holy poo poo there’s recent Duck Tales :aaa:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
That’s what I like about Iron Man, he doesn’t even bother with the secret identity. What are they gonna do, mess with Iron Man?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean I'm pretty sure the next two Iron Man movies are literally about that. They blow up his house.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Plus he's a billionaire, so everyone he cares about probably has a security detail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

beanieson posted:

It's loving amazing, the last episode especially was crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

beanieson posted:

We have such sights to show you.

Watch in publication order.