Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes, as soon as you saw it outside of IMAX it was a total snoozefest.

That movie isn't possible to watch in a format that actually makes it worth it now. Which is lame af because getting stoned as hell and watching Avatar in IMAX 3D would be sick as hell.

I watched Avatar on a tablet streaming from an airplane entertainment system. It was not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I started watching Chernobyl last night and in the third episode there’s something that happens that isn’t exclusive to this series at all, but really loving irritates me in general in a lot of tv shows or films. Someone is trying to gain access to a secured building like a hospital or morgue or something. At first they’re denied, then they desperately pull out a five ruble note or whatever it is. The gatekeeper accepts it, but with a judgmental and furrowed brow. You know what? gently caress you, you’re willing to threaten the entire security of the facility for some cash, but you’re looking at the character disapprovingly, like they’re the ones with shady morals.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HairyManling posted:

I started watching Chernobyl last night and in the third episode there’s something that happens that isn’t exclusive to this series at all, but really loving irritates me in general in a lot of tv shows or films. Someone is trying to gain access to a secured building like a hospital or morgue or something. At first they’re denied, then they desperately pull out a five ruble note or whatever it is. The gatekeeper accepts it, but with a judgmental and furrowed brow. You know what? gently caress you, you’re willing to threaten the entire security of the facility for some cash, but you’re looking at the character disapprovingly, like they’re the ones with shady morals.

The term for that is browbeating though?

It's them trying to intimidate the person into giving more money or loving off. You can't drop the act because you can't do it again if necessary.

I did security, I didn't take bribes but it's definitely still an applicable skill for guard duties where you can't leave most of the time, and you don't want to make a hassle with calling someone to assist you.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
I watched Avatar as the first 3D movie experience. Too bad it was Avatar the Last Airbender.

Edit:
As for the Chernobyl gatekeeping, that was a thing that actually happened, she bribed and lied her way in.
And in the Soviet Union it was commonplace to get something extra by bribing the person in charge.

Iceache has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Jun 5, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I saw Avatar in a small theater in Vermont. It wasn’t in 3d and it still was amazing to watch.

Not amazing enough to ever watch again or care in the least about sequels though. I’ll give Avatar 2 a try only because it’s James Cameron.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

food court bailiff posted:

I have no idea what Bobby Hill has to do with anything but Broderick got shitfaced drunk and killed two people with a car and got off with an extremely minor fine because of his celebrity status. He later (like "fifteen years" later) said that he was going to meet the family of the people he killed and make amends but he never actually did.

Gonna need a citation. It doesn't appear he ever met with the family, but reports say he was not drinking.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

HairyManling posted:

There's a woman who grew up in the area who has been posting (amazingly detailed) recaps of each episode on her Twitter feed. According to her, this was a very accurate depiction of how things like that went down in the Soviet Union in the 80s:

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132696149842911232
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132696777113722880
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132697147651108864

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

it's blowing my mind to find out that a woman voiced bobby hill

he sounded so manly

A woman's been the voice of Goku in Japanese since the beginning in the 80s.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

torgeaux posted:

Gonna need a citation. It doesn't appear he ever met with the family, but reports say he was not drinking.

Okay cool, this was already brought up upthread, but that just means he was probably hosed up on something else. He doesn't even remember the day of the crash by his own admission and frankly I don't see how it makes it that much better, he still lost control of a vehicle and killed two people in a way that he was determined responsible for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Byzantine posted:

Endgame most likely isn't going to be able to topple Avatar by now. And yes, I know Disney owns both, gigantic stacks of money, neither is high art, tribalistic cheerleading, I know. That's why I'm in the Irrationally Irritating thread.

But urgghh if Avengers can't knock that junk-rear end movie off its perch nothing is ever going to.

Avatar made its money in two theatrical runs, though. Endgame has the largest first run in history, and is only about $70m shy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

food court bailiff posted:

Okay cool, this was already brought up upthread, but that just means he was probably hosed up on something else. He doesn't even remember the day of the crash by his own admission and frankly I don't see how it makes it that much better, he still lost control of a vehicle and killed two people in a way that he was determined responsible for.

It's not that it's better or worse, but there's no evidence he was drunk or drugged and he would have been tested, both by the police and the hospital, given his own injuries. Since he hit the other car head on in a country that drives on the other side of the road from what he is familiar, the more obvious explanation is just that. I was curious that there doesn't seem to have been any civil suit, which would have been a certain win for the family.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jedit posted:

Avatar made its money in two theatrical runs, though. Endgame has the largest first run in history, and is only about $70m shy.

Avatar made only a tiny portion of its box office haul during the re-release. $10 million from re-release vs. 750 million domestically and 33 million vs. 2.8 billion globally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

70mil is nothing if Disney wants the record.

Throw some deleted scenes in as new footage in there and it'll do it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Release a cut where the action movie actually has some action ohohoho

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Avatar made only a tiny portion of its box office haul during the re-release. $10 million from re-release vs. 750 million domestically and 33 million vs. 2.8 billion globally.

Avatar was insanely popular in China. My boss was over there in our Shanghai office a month or two after it came out, and one day he casually suggested that they all go see it that afternoon as a teambuilding thing. Cue nervous laughter from the locals, and when pressed, the explanation that if you wanted to get into a showing of that movie, you had to buy tickets days to weeks in advance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I've seen I think six of the Marvel films at this point, and none of the Avengers since the first. The other day I was in a deli and they had a pirated version of Endgame playing and what the gently caress is up with the creepy Half-Hulk thing where it looks like Mark Ruffalo is a muscular cartoon?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Other countries aren’t as gung-ho about puritanical revenge punishment as America is. It sounds like Ireland could have put him away for a decade, but I don’t know how often they impose that kind of sentence on a first time offender.

Also it was apparently in the afternoon and he had just asked directions from an off duty cop. It was Ireland though so he could have still been shitfaced drunk.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I've seen I think six of the Marvel films at this point, and none of the Avengers since the first. The other day I was in a deli and they had a pirated version of Endgame playing and what the gently caress is up with the creepy Half-Hulk thing where it looks like Mark Ruffalo is a muscular cartoon?

He merged both sides, is professor hulk. Was apparently a thing in comics at some point.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Phanatic posted:

Budget I get but I'd much rather have had the bikers than all the extra stuff they added.

I found Frances McDormand's narration really bad. Don't get me wrong, she's generally great, but I just think she was just all wrong with this speaking role. I don't know if it's just that I was so intensely picturing that it's supposed to be an English accent, but I think it's more than that; her vocal stresses and phrasings just seemed so...off.

I also really hated them having to explain some of the jokes because dumb Americans. And the fight scene between the Them and the Horsemen was really awful. Some of the acting (especially the Horsemen, even Brian Cox) was just awful.

And it's really weak when the narration is describing something visually awesome and the CGI just doesn't do it justice:

McDormand's saying something along those lines, onscreen a couple of bad CGI black wings unfold and that's it.

And did I miss it, or did they just never tell you what happened to the guard that Aziraphale disappears?

Still, for all that I liked it. It's just that what I didn't like I really didn't like.

Specifically Gaiman said the script was written with the other 4 horsemen included, they were even cast, then at the last moment they had to lose a week of shooting, and the biker stuff was slated to be a week, so it went.

I really liked the Good Omens adaptation overall, its definitely worth watching. I didnt have a problem with McDormands narration either. But as a fan of the book, yeah, I got irrationally irritated with some of it. I'm gonna go under spoilers though, because its mainly comparing stuff from the book to stuff that made it onscreen, including the ending and its not even been out a week. Warning, some of these are real petty.

Okay, the focus of the book has always been a little all over the place, with Crowley/Azirophale (who I'm just going to call Az from here on out because gently caress trying to spell that over and over), Anathema, and Adam and The Them. I'm always surprised when I reread the book at actually how little time is spent with Adam compared to the other characters. The show amps up the disparity and really focusses hard on Crowley and Az. I understand this to a point, they are the more engaging characters, and Tennant and Sheen acted the poo poo out of their roles, but it meant that The Them got almost no characterization, and that Newt and Anathema felt fairly flat.

Related to this, as you spent little time with Adam and the Them, there was no mention of Greasy Johnson and the Johnsonites, which means that one of my favourite bits of the book (the revelation that Greasy Johnson is the third baby from the hospital) isnt in the show. But the set-up for it is still in the first episode (it would be nice to think...).

Making a rope swing as a play witch torture makes no sense compared to a see-saw ducking stool.

What characterization Newt did get, actually was slightly at odds with his role in the ending. At the office job he desperately tries to avoid using the computer because he is bad with them. In the book he is a technophile who is terrible with technology, and always buys a new gadget barely minutes before it becomes obsolete. He wants to be good at technology, which is why he lies and says hes a computer programmer. That lie feels REALLY unnatural when the last scene you saw him with computers he was avoiding using them instead of thinking "this time it'll be fine!", then it is compounded when his role in the finale is the same as it was in the book.

Similarly Dick Turpin being a Reliant Robin doesnt work as well as it being (in the book) a theoretically high tech car which fails to do any one thing well. I think this might have been a last minute change because although they change it when its plot relevant the original "orients chariot" version of the prophecy is one of the ones which is shown on screen in an early episode.

We didnt need an explanation/added backstory about why Anathema was American. Some people are just American, its fine. The time saved could be used to put in her conversation with newt about Cyrus T. Doodad.

Similarly, although it was kind of fun, I'm not sure we desperately needed to know exactly how and when Crowley got hold of some holy water.

The horsemen parts were hands down the weakest thing in the show. In the book I think all the horsemen get 2 scenes before the meeting at the cafe (some longer than others, you could argue that Death only gets one). This helps show what they are doing, and gives them some sort of character. In the show (presumably for time or budgetary reasons) they only get the scene where they take delivery of their... item? Totem? Whatever. They didnt really feel like much of a threat, or much of anything.

They included one of my other favourite silly jokes from the book! Elvis isnt dead, but is working at a fast food place! Except for some reason instead of being even a little subtle about this hes actually wearing the vegas era spangly jumpsuit in the kitchen.

No 4 other horsemen. gently caress sake.

Okay, so you have no time for the other horsemen, but dammit that cafe scene should have had a proper quiz machine. The basic premise of "tall biker in black surrounded by other bikers playing a quiz machine, every time one of the horsemen walks in their aspect gets added to the categories" I love, but instead "a biker standing alone at a regular arcade machine that, if you pause and squint, has trivia questions on the screen" is what we get. And even if you dont have time to do the other 4 horsemen, a crowd of bikers and a quiz machine gets you the "I DONT CARE WHAT IT SAYS. I NEVER TOUCHED HIM." Death reveal, which is my other other favourite joke in the book.

As mentioned by Phanatic, they didnt show what happened to the airman, so if you havent read the book, guess Az just flat out murdered that dude! (nb he didnt, he woke up at home on his parents farm in kansas or somewhere, but I'm guessing that reveal was cut for time too?)

The added stuff at the ending with Crowley and Az getting disciplined by their respective factions was... Well it was fine. I though it was going to a really cheesy terrible place but instead it actually was kind of clever. In isolation. It doesnt work well with the rest of the ending, the cold war-esque "both our sides are going to pretend this didnt happen, business as usual" because both characters have both essentially just exhibited super powers to their superiors!

I know there were a few other jokes where the set-up was still in the show but the punchline wasnt, probably in many cases because the set-up was involved in the plot but the punchline was in a footnote, which was then cut because it could be without losing any plot. I just cant remember them all off-hand.

Thank you for listening to my book report. In all seriousness, its probably a better adaptation than I would have expected, considering how much I love the book and how many failed attempts there have been. Its just way easier to get annoyed about the bits I wish had been done better rather than all the bits which worked, plus this isnt the thread for that. Still, if you have prime, I would recommend it! And how much fun Michael Sheen seems to be having throughout makes up for a lot.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Jun 5, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Zedd posted:

He merged both sides, is professor hulk. Was apparently a thing in comics at some point.

Oh, okay

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

It makes more sense if you've seen Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured as much. I've only seen two Iron Men, two Guardians, one Ant-Man, one Black Panther, and the first Avengers.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Thor:Ragnorok is probably one of the best movies they've made, it's my favourite thing on netflix to put on while I'm doing other things in the room. Good soundtrack and pretty funny. I'd actually recommend it, which I probably wouldn't for the rest of their movies.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ragnarok has this joyous feel to it the others don't have.

I think Dr. Strange was a stand-out too, but that's possibly since it looks great while stoned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Strange is one of their more generic ones, outside of some crazy Inception stuff.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

then it's definitely the weed :buddy:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ragnarok is a comedy movie that happens to have superheroes in it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dr. Strange is rote from a story perspective but it has the best and most creative visual effects of any Marvel movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ant-man, Winter Soldier, and maybe Thor are the only Marvel movies I’ll sit down and watch more than once.

I still feel bitter about the 2 hours I lost watching Iron Man 3.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI

Also:
Strange: People used to laugh at my jokes...
Wong: Did these people work for you?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Also, I saw Avatar a couple times in theatres, and it was definitely better stoned. I feel like it would be transcendent on shrooms as well. I saw the Lego Movie in 3-D on shrooms, and although I could have had more, it was definitely awesome. Sorry to get a little TCC, I'm all about better living through chemicals.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I would so drop acid for the first time in so long to watch Dr Strange in imax.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

I would so drop acid for the first time in so long to watch Dr Strange in imax.

I did some pretty strong mushrooms then went to see this in IMAX 3D: https://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/imax-film/volcanoes-3d

Then we went through the Spiders exhibit: https://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/temporary-exhibition/spiders-from-fear-to-fascination

It was not a good trip.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

I did some pretty strong mushrooms then went to see this in IMAX 3D: https://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/imax-film/volcanoes-3d

Then we went through the Spiders exhibit: https://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/temporary-exhibition/spiders-from-fear-to-fascination

It was not a good trip.

I think the only time I did too many drugs and watched a movie in the theater was Time Bandits. On High St. in Eugene Oregon. I kept telling my friends I was too high, like just gone. I have a vivid recollection of a black and white tile floor and maybe columns that may or may not have been in Time Bandits but I could hardly breathe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Antioch posted:

It was not a good trip.

The Science Center has one of those real IMAX screens too, the ones that are the proper size for the effect.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Samuringa posted:

Ragnarok is a comedy movie that happens to have superheroes in it

Taika Waititi is a loving gem and deserves all the accolades he gets.

Does he deserve being handed the live action remake of Akira? Maybe not, but apparently he's getting it...

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Taika Waititi is a loving gem and deserves all the accolades he gets.

Does he deserve being handed the live action remake of Akira? Maybe not, but apparently he's getting it...

Oh hey thanks for reminding me to watch that vampire show.

Oh, poo poo, thanks IMDB, this dude is doing Time Bandits (announced)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What We Do In The Shadows the movie is legit one of my favorite comedies in a while. I heard the show is pretty great too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

What We Do In The Shadows the movie is legit one of my favorite comedies in a while. I heard the show is pretty great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTnSx8uSGag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What we do in the Shadows is hilarious and Matt Berry loving slays as usual.

Mierenneuker posted:

Also:
Strange: People used to laugh at my jokes...
Wong: Did these people work for you?

Adn at the end of the movie, Wong laughs at Strange's joke... because he works for him now!