Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Proper escalation and severity/impact assessments and levels is a skill like any other.

... A skill that users never have and will always gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DelphiAegis posted:

Proper escalation and severity/impact assessments and levels is a skill like any other.

... A skill that users never have and will always gently caress up.

"Why isn't there an action that automatically assigns a lost/stolen asset case the highest priority, regardless of user input?"
"Oh poo poo, we never thought of that!"
"...really? Because I've suggested it every few months since I started."
"How long have you been here?"
"SIX. loving. YEARS."

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I came in to open the clinic this morning, a UPS was giving off a shrill alarm and flashing a red light, but still supplying power. It’s the power supply for our two main network switches. I informed the managers of this about 1 hour ago and said we can’t screw around with it right now or we won’t have a network. 10 minutes later, the group of managers walked into the utility room that serves as a network closet. 10 seconds later, every doctor says “Augh! I’m kicked out!”. I ran into the closet and said “Did you unplug it??”. One manager in the group sheepishly said “Well, I didn’t”.

Another manager said “Well, I turned it back on! It will come right back up in a minute!”. Of course, this network does not function unless you power everything on in exactly the right order, sacrifice a heifer, and use arcane rituals to help a manatee achieve orgasm on the first Tuesday of an odd-numbered month.

Who needs to see patients anyway?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"Why isn't there an action that automatically assigns a lost/stolen asset case the highest priority, regardless of user input?"
"Oh poo poo, we never thought of that!"
"...really? Because I've suggested it every few months since I started."
"How long have you been here?"
"SIX. loving. YEARS."

lmao funny you mention this because I have one that's sort of related.

A few months ago poo poo started rolling downhill on a badly needed feature that suddenly caught management's attention. The lead dev started giving my supervisor poo poo for not escalating it earlier. When I found out this was going on, I was kind enough to provide my supervisor with my three and a half year old feature request. The ticket was around longer than the dev.

The kicker is that it just got fixed today.

The whole thing highlighted two core problems with how things run around here. One of the reasons it hasn't been fixed for so long is because of the high turnaround of the devs, who keep leaving because they get tired of chasing after the wims of senior management. Plus, they keep trying to get cheaper and cheaper devs, so after a while we'd hire a dev for them to spend a few months looking at the code they're supposed to support, say gently caress this poo poo, and bounce.

Secondly, the whole thing could've been avoided if any sort of feedback was requested. I didn't know said feature was a thing until it went live, and I immediately noticed a glaring problem that needed to be addressed. Despite me escalating the problem three different ways within hours of it going live, it still took us 3 years to even look at it. The worst part is that the fix should have been incredibly easy. It's equivalent to adding a single field to a report from a database that's already been queried.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So... Core switch failures are fun.

And Docker Dudebro's Docker environment is still making GBS threads the bed, so that's even more fun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GWBBQ posted:

ticket withdrawn, advised user to call facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ&t=117s

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

We have zero log retention so we’re saving all the money.

We were told by some devs last week that "logging didn't make it" into their newest prod build (that was throwing 500 errors to 20% of all traffic to their site).

AlexDeGruven posted:

So... Core switch failures are fun.

And Docker Dudebro's Docker environment is still making GBS threads the bed, so that's even more fun.

I'm friends with the poor NOC dude they promoted to be the docker platform bitch, I keep sending him pictures of dumpster fires over teams and asking him how his platform is doing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Renegret posted:

lmao funny you mention this because I have one that's sort of related.

A few months ago poo poo started rolling downhill on a badly needed feature that suddenly caught management's attention. The lead dev started giving my supervisor poo poo for not escalating it earlier. When I found out this was going on, I was kind enough to provide my supervisor with my three and a half year old feature request. The ticket was around longer than the dev.

The kicker is that it just got fixed today.

The whole thing highlighted two core problems with how things run around here. One of the reasons it hasn't been fixed for so long is because of the high turnaround of the devs, who keep leaving because they get tired of chasing after the wims of senior management. Plus, they keep trying to get cheaper and cheaper devs, so after a while we'd hire a dev for them to spend a few months looking at the code they're supposed to support, say gently caress this poo poo, and bounce.

Secondly, the whole thing could've been avoided if any sort of feedback was requested. I didn't know said feature was a thing until it went live, and I immediately noticed a glaring problem that needed to be addressed. Despite me escalating the problem three different ways within hours of it going live, it still took us 3 years to even look at it. The worst part is that the fix should have been incredibly easy. It's equivalent to adding a single field to a report from a database that's already been queried.

It took me most of a year to get them to add several locations to our new ticketing system that they somehow missed when they built it. These are active sites with users working at them. It had to go through a committee that didn't consider it a priority and didn't talk about it in their meetings.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

xsf421 posted:

We were told by some devs last week that "logging didn't make it" into their newest prod build (that was throwing 500 errors to 20% of all traffic to their site).

I'm friends with the poor NOC dude they promoted to be the docker platform bitch, I keep sending him pictures of dumpster fires over teams and asking him how his platform is doing.

Doordash?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Even better when he bounced off to lunch while things were still very unstable, but that's no surprise.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

xsf421 posted:

"logging didn't make it" into their newest prod build

Don't doxx me :mad:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GWBBQ posted:

When I was in Xbox support we had to learn off a process flow for the "Rapid Response Team" in case of console fires etc. It never came up, but we understood how to evaluate, triage, and decide whether or not to escalate correctly.

Then it came up.

I got to the end of the flow, and called over a Tier 2.
:stare: "So... uh... HOW do I escalate this?"
:v: "To who?"
:stare: "The Rapid Response Team?"
:v: "Oh, you don't. That's you".

Turns out we just had to verify nobody was injured so MS didn't get bad PR from a "my console burnt me" tabloid article.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

GWBBQ posted:

I am in desktop support for a large retail grocery chain (ignore my username, I got a new job, but I like it, so I'm keeping it)

Literally just got this call:

CC: "Thank you for calling desktop support, how may I help you"

User: "Yeah, I've got a freezer down. Ice cream is melting all over the place"

CC: "Have you called the Facilities Service Hub?"

User: "No. Should I?"

CollegeCop fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 5, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

freeedr posted:

When I came in to open the clinic this morning, a UPS was giving off a shrill alarm and flashing a red light, but still supplying power. It’s the power supply for our two main network switches. I informed the managers of this about 1 hour ago and said we can’t screw around with it right now or we won’t have a network. 10 minutes later, the group of managers walked into the utility room that serves as a network closet. 10 seconds later, every doctor says “Augh! I’m kicked out!”. I ran into the closet and said “Did you unplug it??”. One manager in the group sheepishly said “Well, I didn’t”.

Another manager said “Well, I turned it back on! It will come right back up in a minute!”. Of course, this network does not function unless you power everything on in exactly the right order, sacrifice a heifer, and use arcane rituals to help a manatee achieve orgasm on the first Tuesday of an odd-numbered month.

Who needs to see patients anyway?
I'm gonna take a wild guess that the "managers" you describe are site operations managers and/or physicians, both of whom know poo poo about poo poo.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the "managers" you describe are site operations managers and/or physicians, both of whom know poo poo about poo poo.

Your guess isn’t that wild

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've been out of healthcare for 3 months now and I'm still on the mend (pun accepted if not intended). Not that things are perfect, but there's a distinctly smaller number of people thinking that authority or clinical experience can somehow alter reality on command.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm out of Healthcare for 8 years now and I'm still not going back. Doctors were rarely the issue in my case, it was more difficult admin staff who thought everything should be done by the computer for them.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was in Xbox support we had to learn off a process flow for the "Rapid Response Team" in case of console fires etc. It never came up, but we understood how to evaluate, triage, and decide whether or not to escalate correctly.

Then it came up.

I got to the end of the flow, and called over a Tier 2.
:stare: "So... uh... HOW do I escalate this?"
:v: "To who?"
:stare: "The Rapid Response Team?"
:v: "Oh, you don't. That's you".

Turns out we just had to verify nobody was injured so MS didn't get bad PR from a "my console burnt me" tabloid article.

I was one of the people who had their original Xbox catch fire. It happened the first time powering it on with the replacement power cable that was supposed to stop that from happening. :thumbsup: MS replaced it right away without asking for any proof of purchase. Luckily the only damage was losing all my saves and some scorch marks on the desk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CollegeCop posted:

I am in desktop support for a large retail grocery chain (ignore my username, I got a new job, but I like it, so I'm keeping it)

Literally just got this call:

CC: "Thank you for calling desktop support, how may I help you"

User: "Yeah, I've got a freezer down. Ice cream is melting all over the place"

CC: "Have you called the Facilities Service Hub?"

User: "No. Should I?"

If it's nearby, you should assist with disposing of that ice cream. It's a kindness, really...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
urgh

there was an email last month from HR "yes we know all your payslips are wrong we are working on it"

didnt really pay attention as it didnt mess my pay up and SAP is way out of my remit so i assumed nothing i could do.

Turns out, the reason it got messed up is there has been some legal precedant to do with overtime, so someone created a bunch of macros in a spreadsheet to sort it out but it went wrong.

Now our HR have lost confidence in the spreadsheet and they are going to do their own thing, we have 4 other sites im not responsbile for, who i assume will all have their own opinions on this spreadsheet... wonderful

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's nearby, you should assist with disposing of that ice cream. It's a kindness, really...

Unfortunately, that store was almost a thousand miles away.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

angry armadillo posted:

urgh

there was an email last month from HR "yes we know all your payslips are wrong we are working on it"

didnt really pay attention as it didnt mess my pay up and SAP is way out of my remit so i assumed nothing i could do.

Turns out, the reason it got messed up is there has been some legal precedant to do with overtime, so someone created a bunch of macros in a spreadsheet to sort it out but it went wrong.

Now our HR have lost confidence in the spreadsheet and they are going to do their own thing, we have 4 other sites im not responsbile for, who i assume will all have their own opinions on this spreadsheet... wonderful

ugh this should be handled in some way that is not manual processing or spreadsheets; how is this so hosed up in SAP?

I did a fuckoff huge project that dealt with this; you have legal get all the requirements for your state(s) and then have contractors program it while in-house people test it for when contractors gently caress it up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

angry armadillo posted:

urgh

Why the hell is this in a spreadsheet at all?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like an #REF!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

duz posted:

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like an #NUM?

:golfclap:

That is, until it looks like an #N/A

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
The problem with payroll and overtime in particular is that the rules in some states are a bit on the insane side, and most payroll systems are not set up to handle it.

For example, in the state I'm in overtime is not just straight time and a half unless you only work for a single pay rate. If you work two or more pay rates, it's 1.5 times the average rate for hours worked. So if pay is biweekly and in week 1 I worked 30 hours at $15 per hour and 15 hours at $17 my overtime rate for the week would be 1.5*(30*15+15*17)/45, or $23.50. In week 2 I worked 20 hours at $15 and 29 hours at $17 so my week 2 overtime rate is 1.5(20*15+29*17)/49, or $24.28.

In this example I have two very different overtime rates for the same pay period and neither of them could be properly calculated before the pay period closes. Our payroll system is not capable of doing this calculation for us either, so we have to do it by spreadsheet. For each and every employee. :suicide101:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PremiumSupport posted:

The problem with payroll and overtime in particular is that the rules in some states are a bit on the insane side, and most payroll systems are not set up to handle it.

For example, in the state I'm in overtime is not just straight time and a half unless you only work for a single pay rate. If you work two or more pay rates, it's 1.5 times the average rate for hours worked. So if pay is biweekly and in week 1 I worked 30 hours at $15 per hour and 15 hours at $17 my overtime rate for the week would be 1.5*(30*15+15*17)/45, or $23.50. In week 2 I worked 20 hours at $15 and 29 hours at $17 so my week 2 overtime rate is 1.5(20*15+29*17)/49, or $24.28.

In this example I have two very different overtime rates for the same pay period and neither of them could be properly calculated before the pay period closes. Our payroll system is not capable of doing this calculation for us either, so we have to do it by spreadsheet. For each and every employee. :suicide101:

Plenty of WFM/HCM products handle this, it just requires effort and not buying the cheapest software you can find.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

duz posted:

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like an #REF!

I see you are familiar with our new project management processes

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

How do you have 2 different pay rates for the same job?

Also: I've never been happier to be salary than when I've finished reading the last few posts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shift differential for working nights/weekends/holidays?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

How do you have 2 different pay rates for the same job?

Also: I've never been happier to be salary than when I've finished reading the last few posts.

Different rates for different jobs, same employer. Under state law because the work is done for the same employer you have to lump the hours and average the rates for overtime calcs. We have people on our payroll with 20 different rates they could clock into depending on what they need to be doing and where they are working on a particular day.

MF_James posted:

Plenty of WFM/HCM products handle this, it just requires effort and not buying the cheapest software you can find.

We're a Not-For-Profit, low cost is the rule of the day, every day.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PremiumSupport posted:

Different rates for different jobs, same employer. Under state law because the work is done for the same employer you have to lump the hours and average the rates for overtime calcs. We have people on our payroll with 20 different rates they could clock into depending on what they need to be doing and where they are working on a particular day.

We're a Not-For-Profit, low cost is the rule of the day, every day.

Sounds like you could save a bunch of money by just paying out overtime out of the top bracket.

Or, you know, throw that whole system out the window :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wibla posted:

Sounds like you could save a bunch of money by just paying out overtime out of the top bracket.

Or, you know, throw that whole system out the window :v:
The money saved will come from the overtime of the people who calculate everyone else's overtime though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"I'd like IT to install <random VPN software> on my computer because I'm going to China and want to get around their firewall."

No.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in:

"I'd like IT to install <random VPN software> on my computer because I'm going to China and want to get around their firewall."

No.

I agree about the random VPN provider, but they should absolutely be using the corporate VPN in full tunnel.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

They should be issued a 1-off laptop for a trip to china imo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in:

No.

:lol:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MF_James posted:

That's what we do for employee travel to insecure countries.

The fun one was when we bought a suite of software, then found out the company refuses to do business in India. But they wanted us to hire a team in Hyderabad to maintain it. Yeah, we'll totally have a huge pool of potential employees to pull from, in a country where no one is allowed to run the software in the first place. Gud jerb.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MF_James posted:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's what we do for employee travel to insecure countries.

I've heard that quite a few companies are adopting the policy of burner laptops for travel to China.

Literally burners as they get destroyed after the trip, not just wiped and then put back into circulation. Which seems both wasteful/paranoid and yet perfectly sensible. Anyone doing that?