Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is gonna be another supreme court case, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

psydude posted:

This is gonna be another supreme court case, isn't it.

Not if he's acquitted.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

He should lose his job, not his freedom. It’s silly to hold people to the standard of “run headfirst into gunfire” when they haven’t been there before. Even if it is his job, it’s not exactly something you can train for.

Anyone who is cool with it BeCaUsE iTs HiS Job AnD lESS kIdS wOUlD bE dEad are just remixing the “good guy with gun vs bad guy with gun” talking point.

colachute fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Castle Rock v. Gonzales does not apply to criminal prosecutions.

Castle Rock v. Gonzalez applies to civil liability for a specific statutorily defined type of Federal civil lawsuit for money damages against governmental entities and against governmental employees acting in their official capacity.

Some of the public policy considerations that underlie Castle Rock v. Gonzalez will surely be part of Peterson's defense, but those considerations will in no way mandate dismissal in the same way it would if this was a civil suit instead of a criminal prosecution.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales does not apply to criminal prosecutions.

Thanks for this post and for educating me on this; I appreciate it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

colachute posted:

He should lose his job, not his freedom. It’s silly to hold people to the standard of “run headfirst into gunfire” when they haven’t been there before. Even if it is his job, it’s not exactly something you can train for.

While I have serious doubts about this particular case/precedent, I find it amusing to see a post in the Internet VFW about how it’s not possible to train for combat and no one cam be expected to approach gunfire.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

While I have serious doubts about this particular case/precedent, I find it amusing to see a post in the Internet VFW about how it’s not possible to train for combat and no one cam be expected to approach gunfire.

I didn’t say that.

I trained to get shot at. It’s not the same as actually getting shot at. You can’t train for it. You can drill the whole muscle memory all you want, but you don’t know how you’re going to react until you actually have to react.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

colachute posted:

Anyone who is cool with it BeCaUsE iTs HiS Job AnD lESS kIdS wOUlD bE dEad are just remixing the “good guy with gun vs bad guy with gun” talking point.

What’s the point of him having a weapon then?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It was literally his only job he had, was to catch a bulllet instead of a kid if need be.

And if you want to argue that, whatever, fair enough. But then he stayed back and told newly arriving units to also stay back, so he can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Im his situation I'd be fine with letting the shame of being that, "I only had X days to retirement" guy serve punishment. Everyone in his town knows he bitched out on a massive level. He's never going to live that down with his neighbors. If he leaves, chances are good someone will find out where to, and could always forward the shame chain notification to his new neighbors.

Shame is a wonderful punishment, but only as effective as it is enforced. Don't waste tax dollars letting him contemplate hanging himself with his underwear, let him eat that bullet at home.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I know what his job was. And I wish he had done it better. Do I think he deserves 97 years because he didn’t run blind into gunfire?

No, I don’t.

Do I think he should ever be allowed to do a job like this again?

No, I don’t.

It’s possible to think the guy is a massive piece of poo poo gently caress up and still think he doesn’t deserve the possible punishment being handed out. It doesn’t have to be an either/or.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The case does seem odd. I don’t know how FL defines child neglect.

The lesser charge of perjury seems more cut and dry if they have solid evidence that he lied to investigators. I assume perjury isn’t as serious as child neglect.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, the criminal prosecution part (for not running in) is kind of hosed especially since cops are civilians. This should be a civil manner where he loses his job (if he hadn't already quit).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

holocaust bloopers posted:

What’s the point of him having a weapon then?

The point of having cops in schools to begin with: harassing black people and making white parents feel better

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

It just seems like a bandaid. And holding the wrong person accountable (in a very general sense).

“You are responsible for stopping this shooting that lawmakers don’t give a poo poo about stopping. Thanks for picking up our slack.”

E: I’m arguing a different point right now. School shootings really get me angry because everyone seems to point a finger somewhere that won’t fix anything long term. Which is a topic different than what we are talking about. It depresses the gently caress out of me that one of the reasons I don’t want kids is because I don’t want to risk them getting shot at school.

colachute fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m less concerned about my hypothetical future kids getting shot at school than I am about them coming of age right as the disruptions from climate change become woefully apparent and irreversible. Dear ol’ dad will get to shuffle off this mortal coil and leave his progeny playing the game of “how will I get to eat tonight”.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m less concerned about my hypothetical future kids getting shot at school than I am about them coming of age right as the disruptions from climate change become woefully apparent and irreversible. Dear ol’ dad will get to shuffle off this mortal coil and leave his progeny playing the game of “how will I get to eat tonight”.

Climate change wiping out humanity is another big factor in me never having kids. Also the rise of fascism.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
gently caress the idea that the only thing that ever matters is a cop getting home safe. Execute his coward rear end. Nobody forced him to become a cop.

If they’re going to stroke themselves raw about how brave they are 24/7 then there ought to be extreme consequences for them not living up to it.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 5, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He knew what Active Shooter Response doctrine was. It's the same thing I was told- "You ain't gotta be brave, you just gotta do it." I can't give him a pass. This isn't pre-Columbine. This isn't new. He knew his obligation. He didn't freeze in the moment, he made a series of decisions and purposely stayed away. I hope this goes to SCOTUS, and they decide that police have a legal obligation to protect, because that is a part of their end of the social contract. He also shouldn't be the only one charged- the entire reaponse was hosed up, and the post incident investigations showed that beyond him, there was also a cascading series of failures in response.
Personally, I would have killed myself by now were I in his place. I really couldn't live with myself knowing that I didn't do everything I could to help save those kids.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my kinda ape posted:

gently caress the idea that the only thing that ever matters is a cop getting home safe. Execute his coward rear end. Nobody forced him to become a cop.

If they’re going to stroke themselves raw about how brave they are 24/7 then there ought to be extreme consequences for them not living up to it.

This.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

bulletsponge13 posted:

He knew what Active Shooter Response doctrine was. It's the same thing I was told- "You ain't gotta be brave, you just gotta do it." I can't give him a pass. This isn't pre-Columbine. This isn't new. He knew his obligation. He didn't freeze in the moment, he made a series of decisions and purposely stayed away. I hope this goes to SCOTUS, and they decide that police have a legal obligation to protect, because that is a part of their end of the social contract. He also shouldn't be the only one charged- the entire reaponse was hosed up, and the post incident investigations showed that beyond him, there was also a cascading series of failures in response.
Personally, I would have killed myself by now were I in his place. I really couldn't live with myself knowing that I didn't do everything I could to help save those kids.

You say that, but what if you were a cop and didn't actually care about the lives or safety of anyone but yourself?

"To protect and serve" doesn't say who exactly that applies to, and it seems that every police officer has decided that it only means themselves.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

He didn't freeze in the moment, he made a series of decisions and purposely stayed away. I hope this goes to SCOTUS, and they decide that police have a legal obligation to protect, because that is a part of their end of the social contract.

In a 5-4 decision in a move hailed as perfect by most conservatives, the supreme court ruled that no, in fact cops have no obligation to protect anyone, and that the general populace should shine their boots with their tongues if asked.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's cheesy but the only time to be brave is when you're afraid. You can't be brave if the thing doesn't scare you; other things have to override your decision making process.

I think the guy has failed enough and we as a society gain nothing from locking this man away. He shouldn't be allowed to cop, but drat man, loving sucks for him.

I don't want to have police be given more precedence to rush into situations. This will be abused instantly if it sets a legal precedent.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Wasabi the J posted:

It's cheesy but the only time to be brave is when you're afraid. You can't be brave if the thing doesn't scare you; other things have to override your decision making process.

I think the guy has failed enough and we as a society gain nothing from locking this man away. He shouldn't be allowed to cop, but drat man, loving sucks for him.

I don't want to have police be given more precedence to rush into situations. This will be abused instantly if it sets a legal precedent.

If we can apply the precedent to cops having to take the risk of waiting to be absolutely sure they are in danger before being allowed to shoot people, that seems worthwhile.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

In a 5-4 decision in a move hailed as perfect by most conservatives, the supreme court ruled that no, in fact cops have no obligation to protect anyone, and that the general populace should shine their boots with their tongues if asked.

It's supposed to be a joke I think but I can absolutely see this on the headlines of fox news or something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He refused to try and stop that brave American gun owner from practicing his right to bear arms. Obviously he's a hero.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I think he’s facing 97 years for being a cop that didn’t actually kill anybody.

(I joke but I do think there’s a small hint or irony that a cop is facing 97 years for not shooting anybody)

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah this.

In exchange for never have to hear about SHEEPDOGS and THIN BLUE LINE again, this dude can walk but since I don’t see that happening, lock him up.

At least we finally found a situation where “I feared for my life” magic words won’t keep a cop out of trouble.

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 5, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Very well said and I agree wholeheartedly.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Can’t wait for cops to be pushed even further to the shoot-first camp because a guy gets 100 years for not shooting at all.

I think people are being a little myopic about this and are only focused on the dude who probably won’t do the same thing again and is probably haunted with guilt every day. Losing his job and pension would be enough for me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, the criminal prosecution part (for not running in) is kind of hosed especially since cops are civilians. This should be a civil manner where he loses his job (if he hadn't already quit).

And his :wtc: $8700 a month :wtc: pension.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1136329139856654337?s=21

:stare:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

joat mon posted:

I've changed my mind cops are good and I'm going to become one now

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon posted:

That’s more than 100k a year holy loving poo poo I need to be a cop in Florida.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RPG_volley/status/1136364379409211392?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trump getting out of Vietnam was unintentionally the only good thing he's done

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Trump getting out of Vietnam was unintentionally the only good thing he's done
Con: He would have gotten people killed through extreme incompetence and probably committed war crimes.
Pro: He would have been fragged running the snack bar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He’s facing 97 years because he has a charge for each child he failed. He has two neglect charges. The first is:

“A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects a child and in doing so causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to a child commits a felony of the second degree.”

The second is the same except “without causing great bodily harm...” and is a third degree felony

Neglect of a child means:
1: caregivers failure or omission to provide a child with care, supervision, and services . . . essential to the well-being of the child.

2: a caregiver’s failure to make a reasonable effort to protect a child from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person.

The next charge is “culpable negligence” “whoever, through culpable negligence, exposes another person to personal injury commits a second degree misdemeanor”

His perjury charge stems from his official statement under oath to police during the investigation where he lied about not hearing gunfire.

His defense is going to hinge entirely on whether he is determined to be a “caregiver.” The statute defines caregiver as “parent, adult household member, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare”

The warrant lays it out pretty well. Assuming the state’s presentation is true, there are grounds to prosecute him under all counts. I don’t believe they’ll sentence them concurrently so the 97 years is just a scare number more than anything.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colachute posted:

Can’t wait for cops to be pushed even further to the shoot-first camp because a guy gets 100 years for not shooting at all.

When did cops need an excuse to shoot first?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

colachute posted:

Climate change wiping out humanity is another big factor in me never having kids. Also the rise of fascism.

:hfive: no future buddy

I was in middle school when columbine happened, it pretty quickly became apparent that nobody was ever gonna give a gently caress in a way that made a difference and I quickly filed mass casualty violence in the same mental box as tornadoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nah gently caress him. He doesn't get to ride both sides of the issue. Cadet Bonespurs wasn't a fan of *himself* going to Vietnam. He's totally OK with sending other people in to Iran or what the gently caress ever gets his choad-slurping base fired up.